[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Abandoned Mines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 11

File: g5ZlGCK[1].jpg (105KB, 896x508px) Image search: [Google]
g5ZlGCK[1].jpg
105KB, 896x508px
Has anybody here ever explored any old mines before? What are some things to account for if one is going to check them out?
>>
>>995744
You'll never get my gold, OP. Quit trying.
>>
bumping with
https://www.youtube.com/user/fhood
>>
>>995744
No one replies to these questions from personal experience because none of those people returned alive.
>>
>>995744
No, but if you're looking for a good place to do it I'd recommend visiting the Iron Range. I grew up in Hibbing, MN and there are mines literally everywhere.
>>
>>995744
Cave ins, shaft drops out of nowhere, I've never encountered a snake but poisonous spiders are always in there, possible gas.
All in all I've always had fun exploring them just always have backup if something goes wrong.
>>
>>995744
that mine is fucking haunted
>>
>>995744
You'll never find the bodies, OP. Quit trying.
>>
>>995744

Homeless people.
Teenagers.
Drug dealers.
Collapses.

Basically things that can harm you.
>>
But I just like them from a historical/urban decay perspective...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxhNU-gNyPq2lXA7JhLB90Q
>>
>>995744

Remember to look out for pesky kids. You'll get away with it if not for them.
>>
>>995744
Quit trying.
>>
File: 20170312_133705.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170312_133705.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
Yes. Yes, I do.
>>
File: 20170312_134639.jpg (564KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170312_134639.jpg
564KB, 1600x1200px
>>995943
Yes. Yes, I do.
>>
Can't do any mine exploration in northern Wisconsin feels bad
>>
>>995758
are you the same jew that told everybody not to tell me where to pan for gold last year?
Jokes on you cause I never went
>>
>>995744
I've seen a few of these in Canada, they are typically very dangerous here because of not only the possibility of animals inside but that our environment can quickly erode whatever is holding these things together. Some of the mine shafts I've been to have had rusted out pots and metal outside them so even if you don't go inside there is still some exploring to do if you dig around outside them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS6cSVWEed72gGv01YuFowg

for inspiration
>>
gas pockets in mines can kill you very quickly. Not a good idea.
>>
>>995744
Just get a 4-gas monitor on Amazon for $700. If you can't afford it, don't risk it.
>>
>>995974
Yes.

Jokes on you, you're not The Chosen.
>>
>>995995
Just carry a lighter or torch.
>>
>>995972
Are you kidding? You're literally wedged between two major mining regions! Go to northern MN or the UP!
>>
>>995744
I've never urbexed (I guess it's usually not urban, but...) a mine, but I can share with you some of what I know applies from what I have done.

>have the proper equipment

You need, NEED a hardhat, and good, sturdy boots. You will be stepping on all sorts of crazy shit that's been there for a very long time. There are all kinds of things that can fall on your head and kill you. Protect yourself.

It doesn't end at protective clothing, either. Somebody mentioned getting gas monitors. That's important. You need to know that you've got enough oxygen to breathe, and you need to know that there aren't things like CO that will poison you. You'd be amazed at where and how gasses can kill you.

Good, sturdy gloves are a good idea, too.

Get a respirator. Things like asbestos can pop up in unexpected places. You might say that it's not such a problem in a mine as opposed to an old office building, but I've seen people in mine exploration videos run into crysolite deposits. All that asbestos in all those ceiling tiles in Detroit had to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is a mine. There's a lot of other stuff that you're just better off not breathing, too. You don't always need the respirator, but it doesn't hurt to have it.

Cont...
>>
>>995744
>is that goatse?
>>
Continuation of >>996077

>your equipment should include several light sources

This is important in old buildings, but CRUCIAL in mines, have several sources of light! Have a headlamp! Have another headlamp! Have a flashlight! Have several changes of batteries for all of those! Have another flashlight or two, and batteries for those! You do NOT want to get caught in the dark.

>walk softly and carry a big stick

This is not a metaphor, or anything. I mean, literally take careful steps, and if you can at all do so, have a big, long stick with you.

You need to learn to make sure you have good footing before you put any weight on your foot. Don't just fall onto your foot when you take a step like an oafish jackass. Carefully put your foot on the ground, and then put weight on it. You have no idea how crumbly seemingly-solid rock can be, even around the mine entrance, open stopes, or whatever.

Also, when climbing up or down anything, make sure to only move one limb at a time. For example, if you're moving your hand to another rung of a ladder, your other hand and both your feet should be firmly planted. If you're moving a foot, both hands and your other foot should be in place.

Now, what's that stick for? Well, first of all, if you encounter anything nasty animal-wise, you might be glad for it. The other thing is, it can tell you a lot about the depth of things like water.

Which reminds me...

>water is really dangerous

It can have lots of nasty chemicals in it, like mercury or cyanide that they used to purify the ore. It can have lots of nasty stuff just from leaching it out of the rock. You never know.

On top of that, what looks like solid ground in the dark and with years of dust and debris can actually be water. If you see water, be extra careful. Maybe even just leave.

Which reminds me...

>if things seem too risky, turn around and leave

Seriously.

There is nothing in there that's worth your life.

Cont...
>>
Continuing >>996077 and >>996083

Now, where was I? I think I was saying that you're life is in danger the whole time you're underground. These things are really fucking dangerous even when they're in good, working order. You're going in after years of neglect, earthquakes, and whatever else. Maybe it's a better idea to stay out. I mean, I've always been too scared to go in mines. Part of that is that I've never really been around too many, but part of that is that they're really dangerous. Really, really dangerous.

Especially, you need to worry about unused explosives. They become more and more dangerous as time goes on, and can explode with very little disturbance.

A good rule of thumb is that if things seem to be in bad condition, if there are lots of cracked timbers and stuff, if there seems to be a lot of loose rock, if there are any explosives, turn around and go somewhere else. A different tunnel, a different stope, a different mine, a different hobby...

On the other hand, if you do your research, maybe it's not so bad?

>do your research

Seriously, do your fucking research. Look up the best YouTube videos, and see what they do or don't do. Read up on it. Find websites and forums. Ask questions. Don't just take my advice.

>especially if you know radon has been found in an area, or there was something radioactive being mined, a Geiger counter doesn't hurt

I don't think that needs much explanation.

>don't go alone, and let someone know where you're going

Maybe even start out with a seasoned veteran of mine exploration. Definitely don't go with someone who has no idea what they're doing. Always have someone on the surface who knows where you are.

Cont...
>>
Continuing >>996077 , >>996083 and >>996091

>be aware, you're almost certainly trespassing

Most of those mines aren't really "abandoned" so much as "disused." They get sold, revisited, and all sorts of things every so often. Sometimes, mining operations stop for a while, but technology advances, and the owners have every intent of going back someday. Be warned.

>don't take unnecessary risks

I've already said this one, but it bears repeating. Especially the part where I say that this whole thing is an unnecessary risk. Mines are really, really dangerous. This isn't like normal spelunking, or regular urbexing. It's all the dangers of both of those and then some.

If you're dead-set on doing this, there's no way I can stop you over the Internet, but please, don't be stupid about it. If you've absolutely got to risk your life to see a bunch of rocks and old, beat-up junk, be cautious and do it right.

Oh, and after watching a bunch of abandoned mine videos, you might also conclude that there's actually not all that much to see down there.

Anyway, that's all I know about the subject. Good luck, and God help you.
>>
we need a dedicated rural/urban exploration, mines, draining, general abandoned/urban decay general on this board

love this shit
>>
>>996055
yeah that strategy definitely won't blow up in your face.
>>
>>995832
>drug dealers
>in an abandoned mine
Okay
>>
File: 1461950083648.jpg (31KB, 461x370px) Image search: [Google]
1461950083648.jpg
31KB, 461x370px
>>995995
get a birdbro
>>
>>995744
I think most of the things you'll have to deal with have been covered here already, one of the things about bad air/gas most people don't think about is that you can walk into a mine and be alright but you'll stir up the heavier gas lower to the ground so when you walk back out it gets you. Bring one of those multi gas detectors and make sure it's adjusted for what you need. If you can feel air flow that's usually a good sign.
>>
So I grew up around a ton of old lead mines. One thing to be really careful of is a lot of mines are partially flooded. Don't be a dumbass and think you can wade or swim, you will die. The air down there is thin and the water is always balls ass cold which is a recipe for shock and hypothermia. A few years back a couple of my friends found or way into the ventilation system of a flooded mine, everywhere a vent would have gone down is just a big pit that you have to jump or climb around. One of my friends fell in for a very brief time, but he started to go into shock and we had to practically drag his stiff shivering ass out of that death trap. That being said if you bring multiple light sources and a friend or two you're generally going to be alright if you can feel air flowing.
>>
>>996200
Narcos
>>
Anyone know any good research/informational resources about mining/specific mine locations themselves? Both the technical and historical aspects of it.
>>
>>996055
>Fire
>Trapped gas in confined underground space.
>????
>Profit.
>>
>>996244
I wonder how reliable gas detectors are. Are they fast enough to act before you have breathed few lungs full of heavy gas and lay unconscious on cave floor.
>>
File: DSCN0633-L.jpg (215KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0633-L.jpg
215KB, 800x600px
>>996954
Yes. They're sensitive enough to detect low levels of dangerous gases, before they become a major problem for you.

Some have an extended "snout" adapter you can shove into confined spaces to verify no hazardous environment exists prior to entry.

A little common sense (and training if you're in the industry) helps too - if you sampled good and step into a murky mess, you can stir up the bad shit. H2S is pretty notorious for that.
>>
>>996954
They're specifically designed for detecting toxic gas to make sure you don't die in confined spaces, why wouldn't they be reliable? Although you do have to keep them maintained and checked by whatever organization your country has that deals with confined space equipment.
>>
>>996954
This is what I wish for.
>>
>>995744
There's diseases in a lot of mines from rodent droppings, especially hantavirus west of the Missouri River.

Brown recluse spiders and other nasty beasties will hang out near the entrances.

I've heard natural anthrax will find it's way in through groundwater but that's probably not a big worry.
>>
>>995744
in AUS we have a lot, almost all are just shafts

danger is primarily in collapses, these things wern't safe when they were made; and you can cause as much disturbance in a mine as a hundred years of nothing

gas is a concern, guys who go into sewers say it's a big issue for them as well
gas can get trapped in pockets, under water, in areas with no airflow
once it's disturbed the "safe" area you passed through might not be safe any more

snakes and spiders always suck, and there are fucking PILES of spiders at the entrances for these

water is SO dangerous underground, fall in and not know which way is up, or be unable to find the place you fell in from and a very small pocket of water can kill you.
one of the scariest things I hear of was that water in mines is often connected with aquifers or other mine shafts and can have a current

there are other issues like fire, caused by gas, dust, coal dust, flammable goods stored in the mine.
a fire starting IN the mine is your worst nightmare, but a fire outside blocking your exit is probably just as bad.
explosives arn't usually left in mines because they are expensive; but sometimes mines are abandoned if nitroglycerine is spilled. I'm not sure if it degrades over time but it certainly becomes ludicrously dangerous.
you might find it in paper vesstles, still packed into rock
don't try and salvage it, that is fully ratarded

in the dark surrounded by sharp bit of metal, fragile wooden beams, 20ft holes in the ground isn't great to begin with

then you have more modern issues, the dumping of hazerdous waste (asbestos, chemicals, heavy metals) in mines is still common.
you might even find a body, drug stash or something else of that nature

you would need a large group I think
if one person breaks their leg it might take three to get them out; plus one person to watch the entrance and raise the alarm.
you don't want one person to fall, a second to fall trying to get them out, and a third unable to help either
>>
>>996976
nice shed
what is all that any who?
>>
My parents live on property in extreme northern California that has an abandoned gold mine on it. They say bears winter in the mine.
So bears would be one of those things to look out for I guess.
>>
>>997275
Natural anthrax will make you sick, that's for sure, but it's pretty rare for people to die from it. In fact, I'm not sure there have been any cases of fatales from non-weaponized anthrax. You definately don't want to catch it, though.
>>
>>995744
Been in a few. Nothing deep, found a little open cut mine with lots of haulage tunnels around it.
>>
>>996934

In the US, USGS maps do a pretty good job of showing where mines are, and what type of entrance to expect (pits, adits).
>>
>>995945
>>995943

This is why this board is shit, I posy oc, and all you faggots do is talk about nonsense from your mom's basements!

You ridicules faggots don't go out and would be scared of a cave after 10'!
>>
>>1002709

>Post OC in the form of pictures
>Don't contribute advice to the thread

You fucking knob goblin.
>>
>>995790
I live in the cities but want to go up. Is there a certain small town that has the best ones? Like grab a hotel for a week and explore without pressure from the cops?
>>
>>995744
Underground miner here.
A few things about exploring old mines.

1. Don't.
2. Fucking don't.
3. Because You want to anyway, They are talking about lights, and lights are very important.
4. Bring some spray paint. Mark your way out. Getting lost is a possibility with mine layouts.
5. Don't disturb any water. Toxic gasses can be released.
6. If you are on a topcut to a stope, DO NOT WALK TO THE EDGE. It can fall. It probably will fall. This kills the explorer.
7. If you do not know what number 6 means, do not go into a mine.
8. Air, and lack thereof is a very, very real possibility. suffocation is possible.
9. Do not make noise, bang on walls, ect. Vibrations will shake loose from the back.
10. I forgot hardhats. wear one.
11. Bring food/water.
12. Don't explore abandoned mines.

I'll get on my phone and put up some pictures from an active mine after this post. I live in a rural area, and it has lots of abandoned mines around. The guys that want to go in are only ever the ones that have not worked in mines. Its fuck as dangerous.

Also, don't.
I'm not sure i can stress that enough.
>>
File: 20150615_190535.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150615_190535.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1003436
This is arsenic. It's everywhere in our mine. They are dangerous places. I'm not sure I can stress that enough.
>>
File: 20150612_085014.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150612_085014.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>1003436
>>1003441
An escapeway. In case we get trapped underground.
>>
File: 20150708_130311.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150708_130311.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>1003436
>>1003441
>>1003444
Pictures underground don't turn out well usually
>>
File: 20160703_200112.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160703_200112.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1003436
>>1003441
>>1003444
>>1003445
Used blasting cap.
>>
>>995943
>>995945
Is this on your property? If it is, then make it into a bunker or some shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170428-121423.png (282KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170428-121423.png
282KB, 480x800px
>>1003173
>posts imgs on img boards
>not a long winded post of bs

Fuck you.
>>
>>1003436

Alright, I'll bite. What does the number 6 mean?
>>
>>1003491
A stope is 2 drifts driven with one directly above the other. Generally with 50 to 100 feet of rock between them.
The rock between them is collapsed, and it is all taken out the bottom.
The lip of the top drift is fractured, and collapse is possible. This kills the explorer.
And you don't know if you're standing in 50 feet of solid rock, or an overhang 3 feet thick.
When we mine them, we don't get closer than 20 from the edge without heavy duty fall protection.
Also, don't go into the stope from the bottom. Shit falls a lot, and even little rocks hurt.
>>
File: 20160620_135537.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160620_135537.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1003436
>>1003441
>>1003444
>>1003445
>>1003448
>>1003602
Meant to post a picture too
>>
>>996077
>>996083
>>996091
>>996092
Great advice man. Thanks for this.
>>
>>1000366
>one of the scariest things I hear of was that water in mines is often connected with aquifers or other mine shafts and can have a current
What's scary about that? Forgive me, I don't know much about this kind of stuff.
>>
>>995744
They're abandoned for a reason.
>>
>>1003441
is it not dangerous to pick that up?
>>
>>1003628
It's not the best idea, but we also blow it up and inhale the dust, so I'm not too concerned about holding the rock for 10 seconds.
That one is probably still in the back of my truck.
>>
>>1003628
>>1003695

Its realgar (red) and orpiment (yellow). Its not really dangerous to hold. the arsenic is bound up pretty well with sulfur. I wouldn't lick it, but just holding it ain't gonna hurt ya.
>>
>>1003441
Isn't arsenic only dangerous if ingested?

I mean if you walk around licking the walls and eating strange orange rocks you find yeah, it's dangerous, but I feel like that doesn't pose much of a threat to explorers just walking around and not putting anything in their mouth
>>
>>996083
>have a big, long stick with you
I always do.
>>
>>1003625
When you swim through a bigger puddle and suddenly a strong current grabs and drags you under water, through narrow tunnels without any trace of air to the next connected mine or aquifer it is game over.
>>
>>1000366
>>1003625
Additionally you might not notice the current until it is too late. There might be a sudden drop-off which you didn't see and you are in for a long ride in the under water slide.
>>
>>995872
and that dog too
>>
>>1003628
>>1003695

I'm from Michigan. I've been drinking that shit in well water my whole life!
>>
RIP Exploring Abandoned Mines youtube channel
>>
>>1005661
y
>>
>>1006311
The guy got sick of looking at rocks, and shut it down.
>>
>>1006659
it's not about the rocks
It's about the holes in the rocks
>>
I want to explore some mines for robber treasure, but all I have are some cardboard matches, a pack of birthday candles, high heels, and some loose fitting clothing that are probably three sizes too large for me. Is this enough equipment, or should I bring some snacks too?
>>
>>1006749
His last video specifically says, though, that he's seen enough rock. Those are his words.
>>
>>995744
anyone know of mines in New Mexico?
preferably ones where a Hazmat suit isn't needed.
>>
>>1007911

I've gone in an old gold mine out between Silver City and Lordsburg. All out in the Gila National Forest there, there's all kinds of old gold/silver/copper mines/prospects/pits/adits
>>
>>996228
So he can die?
>>
>>995744
I go caving and so mines kinda interest me. There are a few near me I think but the bigger ones are sealed off. A bit too dangerous to go wandering around for me though.
>>
>>995744

I've explored a few in the UK, mostly stone quarries, one fluorospar and one 'fireclay' mine, which had dangerous levels of methane. Take a 4gas monitor if you can rent one locally, it will warn you of the presence of dangerous gases or falling oxygen levels as other have said.

In Germany lots of abandoned above ground workings remain, which I found more interesting and a lot safer.

The fluorospar mine was quite literally death on a stick, little railways leading out over chasms of unknown depths and having to crawl past areas that had collapsed. This was about 10 years ago and I was younger and stupider then.

I follow this person on flickr who takes interesting photos of old mine workings in France and Europe: https://www.flickr.com/photos/flallier
>>
Wow, fantastic photos

<-- Also from UK, been down a fair few mines in the Southwest
>>
I explored an old limestone mine today. Its amazing how big it was. The floor is pretty flat so me and my friends are going back with mountain bikes and better lights. I couldn't take any pics because I was using my phone as a light source.
>>
>>1003602
We have MineGem boggers where I work. Fucken always getting crushed in a stope.
>>
>>995744
There's a fuckton of abandoned mines here in the Mojave. Check out Randsburg/Red Mountain.
>>
I was in a small abandoned mine in southern Germany, fucking scary.
The entrance was used by goths and teens, according to the candles, pentagrams and wine bottles.
On the back end, only a fist sized hole went further behind a huge boulder that fell from the ceiling.
A friend and I dug the small hole large enough to crawl through.
Behind, the tunnel was forking into two, total length estimated on 600m, mostly empty.
But smaller stones were constantly crumbling upon us, as well as parts where over half of the tunnel was already collapsed.
>>
>>1008936
>The fluorospar mine...

Black Forest?
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.