[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Mars count as going /out/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: Mark Watney.jpg (267KB, 2000x1076px) Image search: [Google]
Mark Watney.jpg
267KB, 2000x1076px
Read The Martian last night and was wondering if what he was doing counted as going /out/.
Thoughts?
>>
It counts as going out of this world
>>
>>993380
Yes, but he's a gearfag glamper actually.
>>
>trapped /in/ spaceship
>trapped /in/ lab/base
>trapped /in/ spacesuit
seems about as far from /out/ as you can get to me...
>>
>>993490
>going to mars isn't /out/
You're 34,000,000 miles away from the correct answer
>>
>>993515
>far away=out
are you retarded? he's not /out/ on mars. he's trapped in a building, car, or suit. would you say people on the iss are /out/? because i sure as hell wouldn't.
>>
File: olympus-mons3.jpg (116KB, 600x460px) Image search: [Google]
olympus-mons3.jpg
116KB, 600x460px
>>993380
>Olympus Mons
>72,000 ft summit
would like to climb
>>
>>993595

>climb

Looks more like a long ass hike up hill to me.
>>
>>993599
The wall around the edge is the height of the Himalayas. Above the wall it's about as steep as a wheelchair ramp.
>>
File: learning-curve.png (85KB, 960x941px) Image search: [Google]
learning-curve.png
85KB, 960x941px
>>993620
So, the learning curve is like that of most RTS MMO games.
>>
>>993556
Yes. You're retarded.
>>
Tried to read the book and was turned off with the constant "fuck" usage. Not bothered by swearing and do it myself, but using "fuck" four times on the first page of a book is a piss poor attempt at describing anything. Nice telling and not showing. Quit about five pages in.

The movie was equally as bad. SCIENCE!!!! on the board. Christ.
>>
>>993897
Are you twelve?
>>
>>993897
You don't interact with many people do you?
>>
>>993897
Well fuck you, anon. Fuck your fucking fuckstick tastes. Fuck.
>>
>>993999
>>994036
>>994057

Hey, Weir, your book is horrible. If you want a good opening I suggest looking at Moby Dick or Blood Meridian.
>>
>>994094
/lit/ plz go
>>
>>994098

Call me Literature.
>>
File: Mars trilogy.jpg (238KB, 1600x763px) Image search: [Google]
Mars trilogy.jpg
238KB, 1600x763px
>>993380

I highly recommend the “Mars” quadrilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Fantastic, epic, near future, hard sci-fi story and also very /out/ related.

If you’re like me, you’ll be pissed off while reading the books that you will never go to Mars…
>>
I think it does count as /out. He survives alone in a hostile wilderness, just by the power of his mind and some tools.

Pretty much the essence of being /out.

Imo it reads a bit like old Jack London stuff, just moved to the frontiers of our times.

>>994133 Yeah fuck you. Its a fucking great book.
>>
>>994173

It's science fiction tripe. Read some actual literature and see what lies out there and has quality.
>>
>>994354
>cites memecarthy
>thinks he has discerning taste in literature
yeah, nah, fuck off.
>>
>>994160
I got bad news for you anon. Ain't no body ever going to mars. At least not live permanently anyway..

Space colonization is a myth the elites are using to keep everyone working towards a future that does not exist.

Just look at the facts. Mars is a dead planet. Nasa themselves have already said it could take hundreds of years to terraform it. Yea sure they have discovered other distant habitable worlds but they require faster than light travel to reach and even if we could go that fast or near that fast relativity comes into play, At those distances you are lifetimes apart from those you left behind.

The truth is the earth is our only home and if we don't start taking care of it it will be our tomb.
>>
>>994160
I don't recommend reading this fucking tripe on paper. It is slow, has shitty drama, and really bad "science". Each book gets progressively worse in all areas.

It is NOT hard sci-fi in the slightest.

>>994601
You should peruse this thread: >>>/sci/8794047

90% of space colonization is incorrect.

>Nasa themselves have already said it could take hundreds of years to terraform it.

Mars would take well over 300k years to terraform correctly.
>>
>>994607
It's all just smoke and mirrors my friend. The elites have controlled NASA from day one. They figured out long ago that we aren't ever getting off this rock but they couldn't just tell people that. Cause a mass panic. Riots anarchy etc etc. So they came up with a plan. As long as Nasa can keep the illusion of space colonization alive the serfs will continue to slave away for that debt money and the elites can continue living comfortably.
>>
>>994616
>>>/x/
>>
>>994630
>anything that deviates from the norm is a conspiracy
You have been conditioned well. Keep up the bad work.
>>
>>994601
Not hundreds of years, hundreds of thousands to restart the core alone...
>>
File: 87885334.jpg (1MB, 2800x2500px) Image search: [Google]
87885334.jpg
1MB, 2800x2500px
>>994601
>The truth is
there are always visonarys among us humans. did you heard about reusable rockets and their succesful landing onto a drone ship in the sea?

(time to enlighten you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glEvogjdEVY

a resuable system made space travel cheap. you send reusable systems which deploy robots and drones who build a station on mars. the fully automatet basic station will used for fuel production. from there the reusable systems hops from planet to planet. and from solar system to solar system.. our nearest planets will be colonized soon.

imaging the moon is one huge city in the sky... wowish
>>
>>994810
its like in the time of Columbus. but today we have 3D-printing. each of this space hubs work like ports on our earth. but fully automated. and in full contact with planet earth. or a space station somewhere in our own solar system.

for intergalactic space travel we dont really need human spaceflight. maybe in 2117 a artificial intelligence (computer) will send the first cloned human from kepler-62e back to earth.
>>
>>994810
>>994816
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA
>>
>>994711
It really rustles my jimmys that people think a dynamo is necessary for an atmosphere on mars.

The atmosphere on mars is wicked away by solar wind very slowly over time. That's why is still has an atmosphere 5 billion years later. If we created an atmosphere there it would take tens of thousands of years for it to dissipate. Plenty long enough for human lifetimes.
>>
File: 8.gif (831KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
8.gif
831KB, 400x280px
>>994839
"if, if , if" .. this is your problem. we already do it. the world doesn't revolve around you.
>>
>>994810
read: >>>/sci/8794047

Moon can only be used as a base, not a colony.

>>994839
Atmosphere is actually easy to do, but the lack of 1g gravity is where it kicks us in the ass. No one likes Jello Babies.
>>
>>994864
>read: >>>/sci/8794047
this is like from the 1980.

there is no moon city because the moon is claimed by USA. amerifats say they have the "ownership".
>>
>>994868
There's no moon city because humans can't live on the moon. They can only have short term stays on the moon in a base. VIIP, bone density, and a dozen other microgravity health problems are actually pretty serious. Astronauts start to get blurry vision in only 6 months in microgravity. These reasons are why no one stays too long on ISS. It isn't healthy in the slightest.

Lunar regolith radiation can be worked around with increased layers of shielding, so that isn't stopping us at least.

>this is like from the 1980

I'm not really sure of the context of that comment, care to clarify?
>>
>>994868
>there is no moon city because the moon is claimed by USA. amerifats say they have the "ownership".
thank you for demonstrating your ignorance on this subject for everyone so we can all happily ignore you now.
>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty
>The treaty explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet.
there is no moon city because it is not a realistic idea.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.