[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First ever gear list, please evaluate.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_2642.jpg (4MB, 2818x2293px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2642.jpg
4MB, 2818x2293px
Okay, so this is the first time I've ever prepared a gear list for camping/backpacking. This is what all I've got together. This list is supposed to be a general purpose loadout for Northern NC, with small changes made depending on the season (heavier bag, etc). Food isn't a full load for 3-5 days, just a general idea of what I was thinking of bringing.

MALICE Pack
Thermarest sleep pad w/ 2 bungee cords
First aid kit (Pouch, TQ, gloves,neosporin,tylenol,carmex, anti-diarrhea meds, gauze, tape, ace bandage, emergency blanket, antihistamines, krazy glue, whistle, pressure dressing, sunscreen, razor blade, tweezers)
1 man alps mountaineering Lynx tent
GI green bag with stuff sack
Merrel boots
gallon water
nalgene bottle
Sawyer mini filter and bags
MSR steel pot
collapsible bowl
spork
alcohol stove
windscreen
Alcohol
olive oil
salt/pepper container
Small section of scrubber sponge
P38
Beenie weenies
Mac and beef
Peanut butter
Spam
Pasta/rice packs
Some cliff bars
matches
bic
dryer lint
Red electric "chemlight"
Blue regular chemlight.
Petzl headlamp
Area lamp
Mini flashlight
3 AA batteries
Repel beg spray
Small fixed blade knife
100 ft. paracord
Sun hat
Beanie
Extra wool socks
Small stuff sack for clothes
Waterproof stuff sack for hanging up food and cooking gear
Kindle paperwhite (not shown)
E-tool (not shown)
Rain jacket

I'm not an experienced camper by any means. I spent a few years in the Corps (but the "camping" you do there is radically different and not quite a transferable skill) and did an outward bound course in college (again, different style of camping with different logistical accommodations), So while I'm not entirely clueless, I'd like to hear from some of you folks. I'm mostly concerned with what you think I should cut. Is there anything you'd add?
>>
>>992429
forgot to add trashbag and TP
>>
That is a ton of stuff.
>>
>>992445

Yeah, I felt like it was when I had it all laid out. That's my main reason for posting this. What would you cut?
>>
>>992429
>Is there anything you'd add
A compass and a waterproof map pouch. Maybe also some flip flops/crocks.
Other than that your load out looks very sensible.
>>
>>992451

Okay, I'll look into that. Right now I'm thinking about hitting a section of the AT of NC's western border w/ Tennessee and maybe some of the camp sites in stone mt and pilot mt. state park, so I wasn't entirely sure if a map and compass would be necessary.
>>
>>992447
E-tool, as you wont dig trenches. Also a headlamp and a backup is usually enough.

I'd recommend to pack some tea and sugar, gives you caffeine but does not dehydrate you etc. SAK is always handy, so is a couple feet duct tape rolled onto an old credit card.
>>
>>992458
those are pretty high traffic trails, you wont really need navigation, but its not the worst idea ever. Forget the pouch, just print the area you will be in and use a ziplock
>>
>>992462
>Forget the pouch, just print the area you will be in and use a ziplock
This, if you go real back country a good map is essential. If you are on well traveled trails then just print out the general map, zip it up with a silva field and you are good.
>>
File: CS92SFtt.jpg (12KB, 584x348px) Image search: [Google]
CS92SFtt.jpg
12KB, 584x348px
>>992461

Whoops, forgot to mention I have a few feet of gorilla tape rolled up on cardboard. The "E-tool" is actually one of those cold steel shovels. I figured I'd use it for digging holes to shit in, pounding my tent pegs in, and maybe as a self-defense tool. Is there a better alternative?
>>
>>992463
Yeah, I'm probably not going to do any real back-country stuff until I have a few more hikes and overnights in.
>>
>>992466
A simple trowel is enough for cat holes, pounding tent pegs is not recommended (press them in with your foot instead) if you still wanna pound, heavy sticks and stones will work well.
For self defense, bring a gun if you feel the need.
>>
>>992473

Okay, makes sense.
>>
File: tubbieman.jpg (162KB, 1136x852px) Image search: [Google]
tubbieman.jpg
162KB, 1136x852px
>>992429
You forgot the most important pieces of equipment, though I guess that's to be expected of a newbie. REAL outdoorsmen wouldn't be caught dead without some teletubbies with them.
>>
>>992447
You've got a water filter you don't need gallon of water. Also replace all your canned foods with some verity of freeze dried food. You do not need a whole container of peanut butter probably just a couple spoonfuls. Why the olive oil? What are you lubricating anon? Keep the head lamp cut the flashlight and the area lamp you don't need all three, add some extra batteries in their place.
>>
>>992429
>>992429
Paperwhite bro. I love mine.

You have too many flashlights. And personally if i were you i would splurge on an isopro burner. You can get them from amazon for 10 bucks. The pocketrocket is 40 bucks at rei. I use the snowpeak titanium one. It just makes cooking so friggin easy. Also you probably don't NEED an etool

Other than that it seems like a solid list. When those merrel boots wear out next year think about upgrading to better boots. And really pretty much the same for the rest. Eventually it will wear out, upgrade.

Also personally i like to have 2 nalgenes and a bladder. But i hike through deserts and stagnant creek areas alot so i like to be able to stock water. Unless by your "gallon of water" you meant a bladder. But the largest bladders are around 100oz.
>>
>>992429
Didnt read the post but looked at picture

You'll probably want extra sets of clothing you can change out to stay dry and warm more often.

For food I wouldn't bring anything canned, so bagged beans and oats and mashed potatos and they have tuna in pouches. Goal food is high fat and high protein.

If your tent isnt waterproof or you dont believe the advertisements, spray it down with waterproofing stuff. You can spray your boots too.

Looks fine. I bring 91% isopropyl alcohol to combat poison oak/ivy. Soak the effected area and then wipe dry until the skin is red.

I also suggest extra thick socks. Your feet will be ovens, but they'll be comfy and without blisters.
>>
File: 2017-04-05 11.14.11.jpg (5MB, 2829x1590px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-05 11.14.11.jpg
5MB, 2829x1590px
Cascades in March. One of the last photos before we hiked into the snow.

Dehydrated beans/pouch tuna soaked in olive oil also trail mix was what we ate. Provided perfectly sufficient energy for the journey.

Had lots of layers to help stay warm, was wearing all of the layers by the end of the week as wetness was unavoidable.

Tent WAS waterproof but failed after 3 days of downpour, so I do highly suggest waterproofing spray prior to backpacking.

Like I said in earlier post, can't have too many socks and the thicker they are the better. Wool stays very warm.
>>
File: Laa Laa burj dubai.jpg (67KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Laa Laa burj dubai.jpg
67KB, 720x960px
>>992483
This.
No-teletubbies is amateur-tier
>>
>>992507
>I also suggest extra thick socks. Your feet will be ovens, but they'll be comfy and without blisters.
If you got blister problems, use two pair of socks, small nylon black business socks under and then wool socks over.
>>
>>992512
have you seam sealed the tent? Also whats with the duffle bag? Did you use that thing as your backpack?
>>
>>992516
No blister problems, my feet are basically rocks but yes double socks with the thinner one on the inside is a good way to help prevent extra friction inside the boot, I'd suggest being smart about the socks you wear to anybody.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-03-20-45-33.png (563KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-03-20-45-33.png
563KB, 1080x1920px
>>992519
No never sealed the tent, used for 2 forest fire seasons without it failing but it was so much rain for this trip it just couldn't handle it.

Will be sealing it, or getting a better tent and sealing that one in the next couple weeks.

Yes, that's a duffelbag. Yes, I use it for backpacking. Yes that yellow string on the shoulder straps is my own stitching I had to fix it.

My next rucksack is going to be a portage bag. I love the style and it suits my needs.
Pic related.
>>
>>992445

It's really not.
>>
>>992519
Haven't sealed the tent. The green bag is a MALICE pack, similar to an ALICE pack.
>>
>>992531
Whoops, thought you were replying me.
>>
>>992490
The gallon is just to get me started. I'm going to switch to a bladder, though. Okay, I'll drop the canned foods. Cutting the extra lamps too.
>>
>>992535
Don't listen to him about the water. Keeping a gallon is totally fine even with having a filter.

Better than dying. And you get stronger without even paying for the gym.

A bladder or a nalgene would be a better container, though. Typically I do 3 or 4 nalgene bottles depending on where I go and the intensity of my plans.
>>
>>992521
>Yes, that's a duffelbag
Made me laugh, like ages ago this was also my first backpack, used it for island hopping in Greece.
>>
>>992552
It's really not as bad as people make it out to be. I pack the comfy stuff against my back and its like a heavy pillow.
>>
>>992433
this! trashbags are very very versatile.
paper tissues are more multi functional than toilet paper.
>>
>>992473
a cs shovel tho is excellent for self defense when the machete nigger wants to claim your anus.
>>
>>992554
Yes, you can do with it, but my first pack with a proper suspension and hip belt was a revelation. Like suddenly your shoulders don't hurt anymore and you walk upright.
>>
>>992566
I've had a Kelty Redcloud 110L, really absolutely fantastic design in my mind it's really a superior pack to most and for a great price. I gave it to a hobo one day because I felt like it. Now I've got that green thing. Can't wait to upgrade to a portage bag that has a sturdy harness set up.
>>
>>992466
I use a plastic trowel from a local gardening shop - tough but very light.

Wrap gorilla tape round the handle it saves a tiny bit of space
>>
>>992447
dont cut anything, and go carry it about. you will naturally learn the pain of weight and burden of superfluity

if its a bugout bag, keep it all and dump crap on the way. add more water
>>
>>992507
>thick socks
literally the worst advice you can give someone
>>
>>992429
Totally depends on what you're doing. If you're 'camping' you might want to carry a bigger tent and more comfortable pad, since camping is mostly just lounging around enjoying nature and there's no sense in giving up comfort. If you're hiking, most of your comfort comes from not lugging a bunch of stuff with you that can be sourced on site (water) or is strictly a comfort item (canned food) when comparable but much lighter options exist, like dehydrated food.
>>
>>992429
ferro rods, knife, Bacho Laplander, hatchet/axe, water filter/iodine tabs, tick remover
>>
>>992794
Save for possibly the iodine none of this is useful for what OP plans to do. Thanks for trying, hatchet dude.
>>
>>992754

Dude how dumb are you

I've got 10,000 miles JUST on my last pair of boots

Either double sock or thick sock. 120 degree feet are fine. Blisters only occur when there is open space within the boot. Heat increases the likelihood of a blister, yes, however if no free space exists then a blister is not possible.
>>
>>992429
dont actually carry that much water. That looks heavy as shit, all you need is the bottle and maybe a bladder to camel up for camp.
>>
>>992944
>stupidest shit advice ever
water is not nearly enough you need a gallon a day minimum. even assuming you can find safe water for your filters it a bad gamble.
>>
>>993406
Most of these idiots don't actually camp. Just ignore them. I take 2 nalgenes amd a 100z badder an d fill them up every running water source.

Most of these idiots unironically think the apelachian trail is backcountry.
>>
File: fudd rage.gif (433KB, 499x690px) Image search: [Google]
fudd rage.gif
433KB, 499x690px
>MALICE Pack

STOLEN VALOR STOLEN VALOR

HOW MANY YEARS DID YOU SERVE, SON???!!!
>>
>>993421
No one cares. I have 3 medals for valor and a purple heart i never finished the paperwork for.

I could care less about stolen valor that is the business establishments duty. Thats why i fought.

I seriously wish i knew of a tailor thay would let out my jacket for free. I have a 4 stack i am a 15 year sapper. But im too fat to wear my jacket now.
>>
>>992429
Get rid of these things:

Sunscreen (use your clothes to cover you)
Collapsible bowl (eat out of your pot)
Olive oil
Both chemlights
Area lamp
Bug Spray (again, use your clothes)
E-tool (use rocks and sticks)
Rain jacket (use a lightweight rain poncho)

I just saved you about 8 pounds.
>>
>>992429
Ditch
>half the shit in your first aid kit especially the tq, ace wrap, leave your rape whistle at home
>any of your canned/jarred food, just get more dehydrated food, if you need peanut butter put it in a ziploc
>that fucking gallon of water, carry one 1L bottle or a larger bladder if you're desert mode
>bring the headlamp and leave the rest
>etool
>kindle unless you're ACTUALLY planning on reading a book not just because you need "something for when you get bored."

Don't bring 100 ft of paracord, cut what you will be using for your stakeouts and to hang your food and leave the rest.
>>
>>993421
4, not that it's relevant. I could give a fuck if a girlscout takes one to daycamp.
>>
>>993414
the fuck are you talking about retard?
running watersource in general that is uncontaminated higly seasonal and depenss on location. you have to know when and where you find them for sure if you want to skip on water.
>>
>>993421
wtf
>>
File: joke.jpg (138KB, 686x479px) Image search: [Google]
joke.jpg
138KB, 686x479px
>>993911

He parodied fudds who go on offense every time they see someone wear or use military surplus gear.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.