[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Abandoned Mineshaft Living

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: ya44.jpg (31KB, 600x314px) Image search: [Google]
ya44.jpg
31KB, 600x314px
Have you done it, /out/?
I'm thinking of living in and out of abandoned mines in Onterrible for a week instead of campsites. We both have the vehicles to traverse the sites but I'm wondering how safe it is to go poking around possibly unstable shafts.
It would be nice to sleep in one for the night if given the chance, too.

The ministry of natural resources has all the data on closed, abandoned, and active mines in the province and they're pretty comprehensive. It seems like it'd be fun to wander around the areas.
>>
File: woha.gif (1MB, 400x288px) Image search: [Google]
woha.gif
1MB, 400x288px
>>991788
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon#Health_risks
>>
>>991790
Well I'm not going to go deep into the mines and die of starvation as I try to hunt bats with rocks as my flashlight flickers out.

Just camp near the entrances and look around through the main corridors.
>>
Growing up in Nevada we were warned thoroughly and frequently about the dangers of abandoned mines. The things I can recall
>snaked
>sudden unmarked deep shafts
>rotted supports
>poison gas
>air that's been so stagnant for so long that it'll suffocate you
The breathing hazards alone can incapacitate you before you even realize something is wrong. In short: don't fucking do it.
>>
>>991792
buy a canary and keep it in a cage with you. if the canary starts to have breathing problems or dies you know it's time to GTFO.
>>
>>991795
>snake pits
it's fine. i love taytay
>sudden unmarked deep pits
yeah. i just wouldn't go too deep as a result
>rotted supports
5+ years should limit that being a large issue. most of these onterrible mines are somewhat new and again - just don't go down towards the dark, damp areas with poisonous fester pits
>poison gas
more the lack of oxygen is a larger issue but again solved by staying within 50 metres of the exit.

General rule of thumb should be that as long as you can see the light coming from outside, you should be fine? I just want to know if people have done this.

I also have one of those 7600 molecular respirators and hardhats.

>>991798
>or dies
Lmao.
>>
>>991795
Yeah, the air thing is the worst. No matter how careful you are, if you don't have proper breathing gear, you can be overwhelmed with just a single breath, depending on what is in the air or what isn't in the air.
>>
>>991805
>>991805
>Lmao
>>
>>991815
Rock microdebris?

Radon isn't filtered out by carbon respirators because it is relatively inert and very small, right?

>>991819
>actual footage of MOAB in afghanistan
little mayonnaise
>>
>>991788
who's the girl in OP?
>>
>>991823
If there's nothing but 1 type of gas in the air and it forced out all the oxygen containing air, you are fucked regardless of how good your filter is.
>>
Do it. Your mother wanted to abort you anyway.
>>
>>991788
Can I have your stuff when you die?
>>
>>991954
Why do you come to /out/ to spew your negative bullshit. Go take a stroll and chill out or go back to /b/.
>>
File: 332032461_17685d5c88_b.jpg (416KB, 766x1024px) Image search: [Google]
332032461_17685d5c88_b.jpg
416KB, 766x1024px
>>991788
>>
>>991830
Can be avoided by staying near the entrance...
>>991969
o. rite.

I just wanted to know if anyone has done it and if it's even worth exploring.
>>
>>991824
bro thats taytay wtf
how do you not know that
>>
Most ontario mines will be flooded once the owners stop paying to run the pumps.

If you're hanging out just in the entrance, what's the point?

Also fun fact, during the uranium mining boom in the sudbury area tonnes of low grade ore was dumped in lakes and rivers, and now the grouse and deer and bears in the area have super high uranium levels in their flesh.
>>
>>991805
Miner here. Wouldnt say it was safe or not safe. Just stay in eyeshot of daylight so u dont get disoriented and die. Visualy inspect and without shifting anything maybe even reinforce the brace u sleep under.
>>
>>991823
Screenings is fine in smaller doses. I however will die from scoliosis.
>>
File: ya hud.jpg (880KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
ya hud.jpg
880KB, 2448x2448px
>>992426
That's what I planned on doing either way.

As you mention, bring some braces if using the mines' entrenches as sleeping quarters

>>992408
Near the entrance just to check them out. We have really high concentrations of mines, quarries, and caves within each other so it's nice to drive to a few points, hang out in the shade and cool, musty feel of the mines, and leave for the next one.

My friend's a geologist too so he gets to look at the rock formations a few metres below the surface.

>>992428
y tho </3
>>
>>992408
Is... Is that dangerous to eat?

I didn't know uranium was bioaccumulatable. I thought it was like mercury and couldn't be absorbed by the body unless bound to a carbon (which nature can't do)
>>
>>992437

Don't think so. It might not even be true, I read it somewhere when researching mines to explore.

I've hunted that region too, there are loads of naïve grouse, very easy hunting. I'm trying to decide if I'm going up there this year for bear.
>>
>>993011
Yeah, that's what I thought.
Uranium shouldn't accumulate at all.

I remember clubbing a grouse to death before, lmao.
>>
>>991788
Alright guys. So we're ready and pretty stoked to go explore some of these Onterrible mines. One friend is a geography surveyor so he'll scout locations and the other is an industrial engineering student who likes looking at things.

Again, the key to these places are:
1. Take nothing but buckets of platinum ore, leave nothing but cigarette ash
2. Leave if you can't see the morning light / require a flashlight to navigate
3. Bring large pieces of wood as struts if we do sleep over night
4. I have a chinkshooter for bears and unibombers who live in the caves
5. Organic Vapour respirator just in case
6. Sat. phone

Anything else worth noting?

We're probably going to do this in the beginning of May some time.
>>
>>994631

Googled it for interest, this was the second hit. Uranium does bioaccumulate.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22963859
>>
>>995170

Fuck it you're already trespassing might as well steal anything that's not nailed down.

You would probably disturb the supports more by trying to reinforce them than you would by just trusting the structure built by certified engineers to accomodate hundreds of miners, heavy equipment and natural disasters. The wood is a waste of time.

Also, bring rope, lights, and other stuff to go further in. You know you will want to, don't kid yourself. Might as well be prepared for it if you find a good one worth diving into.
>>
>>991788
I'm interested. You got any info/pictures/maps on these sites? When did they open and how long have they been disused?
>>
I've been in the mines out here in southwest Az usually nothing in there but some very little gold dust and sometimes copper ore. Great for escaping the Arizona heat but a lot of times its not worth it, I don't know about up there, but just remember it's very dangerous even though everyone has said so already.
>>
>>995170
>I have a chinkshooter for bears and unibombers who live in the caves
post chinkshooter

also kek at "bears and/or unibombers who might live in the caves"
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.