[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Barefoot Hiking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 28

File: Start-Barefoot-Hiking-Step-8.jpg (2MB, 3195x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Start-Barefoot-Hiking-Step-8.jpg
2MB, 3195x1800px
Do any /out/ists have experience hiking barefoot? I want to try but my biggest concern is poison ivy.
>>
File: 9mm.gif (2MB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
9mm.gif
2MB, 288x288px
>>990325
First thing to note about barefoot hiking: You don't just do it. You gotta train your feet for quite a while until you even consider a multi day hike. Depending where you live, just get out there and start walking around. You'll notice a lot of muscles moving that are normally completely unused while wearing normal shoes. Also, never run on your heels unless you want shin splints. I can speak from personal experience that your feet will thank you for abandoning normal shoes entirely. I used to be flat-footed and slower than a snail going uphill. Now I'm easily more nimble than anybody else I've gone in the woods with and the arch of my foot is just about normal!
>>
>>990325

I did this for a long time until I was enjoying mud and just felt the beer bottle sink into my foot. Was very intense and bloody throughout the return trip to the trail head.

I did some research at the time and found five fingers. They are kind of gimmick now, but original kso is pretty thin and gives a good foot feel. (kso was just released when I found them D:)

I would really just keep it down to maybe a mile or so and bring your shoes/boots with you. You might want a nice pair of tennis shoes if your feet swell and you just want to cruise back.

Also remember to keep it really light as its a really different act balancing loads barefoot.

(ayoo bring antihistamines)
>>
>>990325
if im camping in a nice spot ill rock the bare feet but trekking with no shoes is just asking for trouble
>>
File: ebola.jpg (219KB, 581x800px) Image search: [Google]
ebola.jpg
219KB, 581x800px
>>990325
what kind of fad did you buy in? what's the reason you wanna do this?

but anyways you need to train you feed, to walk without dampening soles and their protection vs sharp stuff and impact. i have the vibram 5 fingers they are nice but with the thin soles they are only good for short walks less the 20km

so get so barefeet walking shoes and train.
also get vaccines up to date, every wound is a risk when you walk a lot. Seriously you don't want to get tetanus, anthrax, botulism or Clostridium. that cause a whole range of shit from death to diarrhea over Gas gangrene, to necrosis or just annoying shit like infections and hookworms.
>>
Enjoy the hookworms.

I don't understand what the benefits are.
>>
>>990369
I was just walking by a creek and had to cross it a couple times, and thought of how easy it would have been to just be barefoot.

Sounds like I should just get five finger shoes then.
>>
>>990379
You can just take off your shoes for that.

I was thinking going barefoot innawoods would perhaps be a good idea, but now that I see this about hookworms I am scared.
>>
>>990325
Stop being gross /out/
>>
>>990369
actually they my favorite water / water sport / sailing shoes. they are great to swim in. and ok for short walks. but the one i have are early gen and to thin for some trails, stepping grape seize stones hurts like the accidental lego brick.

so you need to watch a lot where you step or do a high heel style front foot walk that looks retarded. but for grass or woods with little roots and stones its great.
>>
File: Vibram_fivefingers_Speed.jpg (88KB, 700x526px) Image search: [Google]
Vibram_fivefingers_Speed.jpg
88KB, 700x526px
>>990400
>>990379
quoted myself by accident
>>
File: amthebadperson.gif (147KB, 378x249px) Image search: [Google]
amthebadperson.gif
147KB, 378x249px
>>990376
I've been barefooting for 2 years. No hookworms yet. Benifits that I've noticed are:
Better stamina
Better balance
Better walking speed
Now comes some weird stuff, but I swear it's true.
I sleep better
I can "see" with my feet. Basically just like feeling your way around rather than needing to see everything.
There's the whole concept of "grounding" where all the electricity that gets stored up in your body is discharged by the negative electrons in the earth, leading to all kinds of health benefits.

Not trying to be one of those pretentious "MUH NATURAL GAIT" hippies. Just trying to present the other side of the coin.
>>
>>990420
Do you ever get poison ivy or tick bites?
>>
>>990424
Nope. I've heard that ticks are only attracted to certain blood types though. Not sure what mine is, but it might have something to do with it.
>>
>>990325
Have fun with those snakes, thorns, beer bottles, etc.
>>
>>990428
>ticks are only attracted to certain blood types
Really? I didn't know that i always thought they played by mosquito rules. Hunting for deer, ticks have become a normal thing especially with skinning them
>>
>>990434
That's something I just heard through hearsay. Take it with MANY grains of salt, though I don't know how else I've avoided ticks for this long.
>>
>>990438
I've been bitten by a tick atleast once in my entire hunting career. Mosquitos on the other hand are hit and miss. I wonder if being a smoker repels some of the ticks and mosquitos
>>
>>990440
I hear it's common practice in Australia to smoke while fishing just to keep bugs away from your face, so who knows?
>>
>>990440
Insects and ticks are repelled by nicotine.
>>
>>990420
Lol whut.
>>
>>990442
>>990443
You learn something new everyday
>>
>>990452
For reals.
>>
>>990420
Is it possible cody lundin browses /out/?
>>
>>990460
You're not far off. Imagine scrawny Cody Lundin without the braids.
>>
>>990463
Kek abo-man jr
>>
File: mienself.png (5MB, 904x3880px) Image search: [Google]
mienself.png
5MB, 904x3880px
>>990465
Artist rendition of myself.
>>
>>990325
fuck no
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisascaris/
>>
>>990345
>Now I'm easily more nimble than anybody else I've gone in the woods with and the arch of my foot is just about normal!

Please elaborate on your training methodology and timeline. I've been researching methods of building an arch in flat feet; it's been a lifelong problem for me.
>>
>>990503
I seriously have no proper training of any sort. Just start walking around in uneven terrain. Loose gravel is good to dig in and get the muscles moving. Give it a year or so and you'll start seeing results, though I don't want to make guarantees as I have no authority on the subject. The only warnings I have are to not run on your heels and make sure you don't get any infected cuts or anything. Keep in mind that it takes a good couple weeks for your feet to get used to barefooting, so just take it slow and carry shoes with you for if it gets too painful.
>>
>>990499
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisascaris/gen_info/faqs.html
>People become infected by ingesting infectious eggs. Most infections are in children and others who are more likely to put dirt or animal waste in their mouth by mistake.

You're not supposed to lick the bottom of your feet, anon.
>>
>>990516
But they're so tasty
>>
>>990521
I mean, to each his own right? I ain't gonna judge you. You do you, anon. If you're into feet we're not gonna judge you.
>>
>>990420
That last one is a neat thing to mention, I understand what you mean but don't believe it fully.
The other stuff I'd say can just be better off done with some sort of sock or light shoe or something.
>>
>>990528
Yeah, but good barefoot shoes are gonna run you at least $100 and I'm cheaper than most homeless people. I also love seeing the reactions from normies, although I'd imagine that's a personal thing.
>>
Is there any "barefoot shoe" equivalent/alternative to Vibrams? Moccasins or what?
>>
>>990532
https://www.lemsshoes.com/
>>
>>990420
You can't see with your feet. Thats stupid. So is "grounding" or whatever.

The reason you get that feeling is that when walking barefoot your mind takes
notice of whats ten feet in front of you instead of just two feet, and then makes calculated subconscious decisions to avoid even small objects that can fuck you up.
>>
File: 1470166462565.jpg (183KB, 680x543px) Image search: [Google]
1470166462565.jpg
183KB, 680x543px
Obligatory
>>
>>990535
T. Someone who has never walked barefoot.
>>
File: upset.gif (1MB, 325x221px) Image search: [Google]
upset.gif
1MB, 325x221px
>>990535
That's what I'm talking about. It's like how if you're in a dark house you tend to use your hands to feel your way around. As for grounding, it isn't a hard science yet, but I swear something is going on when you directly touch the earth.

>>990536
Kek this is my favorite.
>>
I had a hipster friend who ran around town barefoot on pavement

I think he only did it when people knew he was doing it.

Pretty sure he got glass in his foot and was too embarrassed because he put all his chips in the pot over how better it is to go barefoot.
>>
>>990420
Look out guys the hookworms made him post this
>>
I remember as a kid barefooting it on sidewalks with no problems but when I tried doing it as an adult I got gnarly blistering.
Did any of you guys do like a training regimen to condition your feet?
I wear barefoot shoes all the time so that part I think I have well covered.
>>
File: do it.gif (2MB, 340x255px) Image search: [Google]
do it.gif
2MB, 340x255px
>>990620
>>
I go barefoot all the time. I have a calous built up that helps a lot
>>990400
I just learned to walk a little lighter, so i can sense if theres any rocks below my feet before I put all my weight down
>>
I barefoot

>at home
>in the garden
>at camp
>in the car

but fuck barefoot'ing the trails. I just think it's too much. Footwear is an enhancement not a burden as long as you think about what you need

>wide footbox to splay toes
>high boot line to protect from bugs and stones
>thin sole for feel
>lightweight for ease
>breathable

A boot with those characteristics is my shit anyway.

I don't get the five finger fad either, there are plenty of other thin sole 'barefoot' shoes that allow you to wear regular socks and not wear LOOKATME five fingers
>>
>>990874
I also hear that FiveFingers get stanky really quick and it's practically impossible to get the smell out.
>>
>>990420

>see with your feet

That part I can believe.
>>
File: Toph.png (208KB, 782x1265px) Image search: [Google]
Toph.png
208KB, 782x1265px
>>990979
>mfw can see with my feet
>>
>>990985
Ahhhh, I see what you did there.
>>
>making your feet nasty and dirty

As a man who's been told he has the feet of a girl, fuck that. I'm proud of my wrinkle-less arches, clean heels, and smooth toes.
>>
File: hobbit.jpg (25KB, 400x345px) Image search: [Google]
hobbit.jpg
25KB, 400x345px
>>991009
As a man who's been told he has the feet of a hobbit, no you. I'm proud of my tough-as-old-boots arches, dirt infused heels, and spread out, finger-like toes,
>>
>>991018
I have ugly hairy size 13 feet I might as well go hobbit mode
>>
>>991019
Do it and never look back, my child!
>>
>>990325
I go barefoot any chance I get, except I've only started hiking barefoot recently. It's not as bad as I previously thought, since they're already callused around the pad/heel, but my arch is still pretty tender.
That, and it's already pretty hilly where I live.

>>990870
I walk this way around terrain I know nothing about.
>>
>>990345
This.
This guy is a famous traveler, does tv programs, wrote books, very succesfull.
He walks barefoot, that's how he named some of his books ("Barefoot through Amazone" etc.) or at least used to, and I remember him talking, how you have to keep the skin on feet in good condition, thick, but elastic, needing to wet them sometimes etc., but mostly your feet have to adapt, if you want to walk further distances. Straight from the boots, they are like babys feet.

http://www.cejrowski.com/en/
>>
>>991019
prepare for 14D, your feet will go hobbit mode if you stop the cultural norm of foot binding.
>>
Not hiking but running, but - I tried it and it did wonders to my fucked up knees.
I do however run in flat, thin kung-foo slippers, asphalt is to rough for untrained feet.

https://www.ted.com/talks/christopher_mcdougall_are_we_born_to_run/transcript
>>
>>990428
>Nope. I've heard that ticks are only attracted to certain blood types though.
That's mosquitos. "Sweet blood" they call it.
>>
>>990453
Yeee dog puff on some insecticide

Daily reminder THC is also an insecticide
>>
>>990864
I told ya, I did just do it. Fucked my feet up.
>>
>>990325
Don't do it. Simple as that. Poison ivy is not your biggest problem if you do. There are about a billion ways you can injure yourself, all of which are easily avoided by wearing shoes/boots/whatever.

Hiking barefoot is all fun and games until you twist your ankle or step on a piece of flint or some shit. You're going to have a bad time.
>>
>>990369
>>990376
>>990391
A lot of hunters, particularly spot & stalk bow hunters, train barefoot. It's a lot quieter to kick off your shoes and close those last few yards in barefeet or socks
>>
I only hiked barefoot once, but it was on a popular hill trail close to civilization, so a fair bit was road. This was more than ten years ago so my feet back then were still pretty much soft babby feet from being a shoefag. Long story short, while I finished the hike barefoot(I did bring boots just in case), my feet hurt like a bitch for a week afterwards, not just the skin of my soles, but the entire foot.

Since then, I have gradually started walking more barefoot whenever I can get away with it, but it was mostly just in urban areas on paved roads. Also tried jogging a bit barefoot.

The biggest lesson I learned is that if you have been using shoes most of your life, your feet will need time to grow stronger, both in terms of developing callouses, and strengthening muscles and tendons that get neglected or supported with shoes. Feet recovers very slowly from strenuous use, much slower than the rest of your body, in part due to naturally lower circulation, so it can be very easy to overexert yourself and find the next day that you can barely walk. I found this most prominent with the Achilles tendon from jogging, but there are many other muscles and tendons in your foot you'll notice you never had once you start barefoot.

So my advice would be take it slow, first start with just walking barefoot everyday on tarmac. It can take a few months for discomfort to disappear and your soles to callous up to a tough enough level that you can step on thorns without it piercing your soles. I would say at least three months of walking on tarmac for about thirty minutes every day should be sufficient preparation for a half day hike, assuming you have no barefoot experience. Walking on tarmac is an easy and cheap strategy for developing callouses, muscle and tendon strength without risking injury. You can develop blisters this way on hot tarmac, you'll have to listen to your feet and give it breaks if you feel one coming, maybe only going for 15 minute walks at first.
>>
>>990376
I've been walking barefoot as much as possible for a good 20 years now. I've never gotten hookworms. The risk is minuscule.
>>
How do you deal with sharp gravel and rocks in general?

Do people look at you like you're a fucking weirdo?

I transitioned to zero drop (+thin sole, wide toebox) shoes a couple of years ago and they're great. .

I feel like traditional shoes ruined my feet, causing the outer edge to be crushed in by the shoe, and also made my feet flat.

I have noticed how loud shoes are compared to bare foot. If you want to be sneaky, it's quite an advantage to be bare foot, I'd wager.

So I am very interested in this but my feet are extremely soft. It'd be pain the entire time
>>
>>990881
Vinegar works well. It helps that you can wash them in a bucket, the sink, dishwasher, or washingmachine.
>>
>>991609 (cont)
With that said, I highly advocate practicing going barefoot for the following reasons:

- Having strong feet that doesn't rely on tools(shoes) can be considered a survival asset. If you are out innawoods far away from any help and for some reason loose your footwear, and you only have soft baby feet, you can find yourself in real trouble, as even just a pointy rock or stick can render you immobile. You will also travel a lot slower regardless of any injuries than with hardened feet, which could be another big factor in a survival situation.
- Shoes, especially a lot of modern shoes, are kind of unnatural, and can deform your feet and atrophy tendons and muscles. Most people today already suffer from this in some form since they nearly always wear shoes. Raised heels are the biggest contributor to this. While I never measured it, like others, I feel like my arches lifted and my toes spread out a lot more evenly wider.
- You gain a much better sense of what you are walking on. Any kind of barrier between your feet and the ground dampens your sensory perception in your feet. Some kinds of sandals are made with this in mind and are softer and thinner, giving a lot of feedback, but I have never used them personally. This is something I only noticed, and missed, once I wore shoes again after going completely barefoot for about two months a while back. It just felt so disconnected and disorienting to wear shoes, I had to focus on my gait to keep proper balance and form. But really, I just like that feeling of walking barefoot too, walking in shoes feels very dull.

And as a point interest, the most uncomfortable my bare feet feel is when I go to the mall, man some stores have chillingly cold floors.
>>
>>991615
>How do you deal with sharp gravel and rocks in general?
After you callous up, that isn't a problem. You'd be amazed at what a thick layer of callous can withstand, especially when compared to baby feet.

>Do people look at you like you're a fucking weirdo?
That would mostly depend on the social context, most of the reactions I got were of the mildly bemused variety.

>I transitioned to zero drop (+thin sole, wide toebox) shoes a couple of years ago and they're great.
>I feel like traditional shoes ruined my feet, causing the outer edge to be crushed in by the shoe, and also made my feet flat.
I have feet that are a bit wider than normal, so I always have to buy a few sizes bigger so I don't crush my feet, but it leaves a lot of empty toe space.

>I have noticed how loud shoes are compared to bare foot. If you want to be sneaky, it's quite an advantage to be bare foot, I'd wager.
Hah, I recently had a lot of encounters where I accidentally frighten people walking up behind them because they couldn't hear me walking barefoot.

>So I am very interested in this but my feet are extremely soft. It'd be pain the entire time.
See my advice in >>991609, you just have to harden them up over time and you'll be fine. I always say that we weren't born with shoes, we evolved walking barefoot from the time we took our first steps. In the modern civilized world shoes are worn by everyone all the time, even at home in private. This is understandable given that our ancestors moved out of Africa where we evolved in a shoeless context, but the temperature there is in general much warmer, so you don't need thermal protection for your feet. As you get closer to the northern colder climates, you now have a different set of problems, so shoes are mandatory to survive there. This is why it takes time to adjust and toughen your feet for most adults, they just never got to develop natural feet toughness due to cultural or climate reasons.
>>
>>990345
Well yeah that's literally the treatment for flat footedness.
>>
>>991667
Not where I come from. They gave me these little plastic insoles that were molded to the shape of my (already extremely flat) feet. Most podiatrists say that you shouldn't go barefoot, thus leading me to disregard most things podiatry teaches.
>>
>>990420
>I can "see" with my feet.

Toph how are you even using the Internet
>>
File: funny-flexible-typing.jpg (197KB, 600x748px) Image search: [Google]
funny-flexible-typing.jpg
197KB, 600x748px
>>991681
>>
I've been wearing Chuck's without any sort of insoles for years, would you say I'd have an easier time adapting than someone who wears tennis shoes?
>>
I always enter a trail with shoes, but if i come across a particulary soft patch of trail with moss or soft dirt, ill take off my shoes and socks and enjoy it barefoot
>>
>>990536
>tfw this is the man I want to be
Am I too delusional?
>>
Just buy barefoot shoes like vibram five fingers or vivobarefoot and you are done, but without cuts, infection and death.
>>
>>990325
>hiking barefoot
fucking kys
>>
File: tubbies.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
tubbies.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>991965
you seem upset. Here, have some tubbies.
>>
>>991277
I go barefoot anytime I'm not at work. My feet are extra wide. Hard to find 4e shoes and none of them fit correctly. :(
>>
>>991018
Post your feet anon. I promise not to jerk off to them.
>>
>>992079
Are you suuuuuuure?
>>
>>990345
Kek
>>
>>991977
Hey do you post on /k/?
>>
>>991624
>his is understandable given that our ancestors moved out of Africa where we evolved in a shoeless context, but the temperature there is in general much warmer, so you don't need thermal protection etc etc

Senpai, we developed shoes for more than just warmth in cold climates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxqcNg8FJFA
>>
>>990325
If I ever see somebody doing this, I am going to bully them
>>
>>992162
>posts video of parasite that lives in warm climates
>>
>>992187
Yes, I did. Do you have anything else to add?
>>
>>992212
Yeah. Are parasites a problem for the rest of us?
>>
>>990420
>all the electricity that gets stored up in your body is discharged by the negative electrons in the earth,

what the hell does this even mean?
>>
Just went walking around my suburb bare feet. It was fun, i mostly stuck to the road and paved paths. Dirt is full of prickles and rocks that I'm not advanced enough to walk on. I have a little spot of blood on my foot from something though, how many diseases and parasites do you think entered that?
>>
>>990453
There also seems to be some weird connection with alcohol. Legend says you can't get malaria with 2 promille and I think it's because mosquitos don't sting with 2 promille or even die after biting you. However, what I can say for certain is that I usually don't get stung when passed out drunk at my cabin, but when I'm sober I'm covered all over in bites.
>>
>>990532
>>990533
Lems are great but I also highly recommend vivobarefoot. Like some other anon mentioned, barefoot shoes are unfortunately rather expensive.
>>
>>992123
No, I'm just a humble disciple of the original tubbie-poster.
>>
>>992281
I've bled from my feet many times. Just make sure you put some kind of disinfectant on it and you'll be fine and dandy.

>>992236
In Layman's terms, when you use any sort of electronic device, a small amount of the electricity that makes it work gets absorbed by your body. Both my dad and my aunt have stories of being too "electrified": My dad used to work for various electronics repair shops, so over time, he got exposed to tons of electrical current. There were cases where he'd get some broken Walkman or something, and just by holding it he could make it work again. Unfortunately, the human body reacts rather poorly to electricity in it, so you don't get to be a cool technology necromancer and also be healthy. My aunt on the other hand, was just WAY too electric. When she was a little kid, she was digging a piece of toast out of the toaster with a knife and got zapped pretty hard. Somehow, she was totally fine, but as she got older, she started seeing side-effects. In college, she would often walk into a dorm and kill the lights just by being in there. The more superstitious people there thought she was possessed by Satan or something, but a couple years later, she was having a massage done and the person giving to her got electrocuted by pressing down on certain muscles. She started grounding and now she's pretty much totally empty of electricity.
>>
>>991977
kys
>>
File: backpo.jpg (52KB, 570x612px) Image search: [Google]
backpo.jpg
52KB, 570x612px
>>992485
You're still upset. Have another tubbie.
>>
>>992480
funniest thing I've read today, thanks for the chuckle mate
>>
>>992501
You're welcome, friend.
>>
>>990420
Toph, do you have to get katara to read and write posts for you like that blind guy with the pepe folder?
>>
>>992488
more tubbies pls.
And do kiss yourself, you deserve a kiss.
>>
File: terre tubbis japan.jpg (64KB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
terre tubbis japan.jpg
64KB, 360x640px
>>992522
Thank you for your appreciation!
>>
>>990985
>>991681
>>991693
>>992511
I like how there's an outdoors board where you can reference Avatar and the joke isn't lost on anybody.
>>
>>992223
If you live in Africa or South America, yeah.

I'm pointing out that we made shoes for more reasons than just wanting to warm our feet up. Please retake English Comprehension 101.
>>
>>992369
>Vivobarefoot

The toeboxes on those shoes don't look as wide as Lem's. Am I looking at them wrong?
>>
File: efrica.jpg (59KB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
efrica.jpg
59KB, 640x492px
>>992162
>Senpai, we developed shoes for more than just warmth in cold climates.
I never said we didn't, anon-kun.

Getting a parasite from walking barefoot is not guaranteed, and not all parasites kill you or prevent you from reproducing, however, going barefoot all the time in a tundra environment is almost guaranteed to get you killed.

Obviously there are other benefits to wearing some kind of footwear regardless of environment, my main point is just that we have become such habitual shoe wearers since birth that our feet aren't developing in the environment it evolved to develop in.

Also, you could have chosen a better parasite than tunga penetrans, they aren't indigenous to Africa, only being introduced a few centuries ago, so they never played a role on early footwear development.

>>992623
>If you live in Africa or South America, yeah.
>mfw I live in Africa
>>
No

Besides hating dirty feet, little bitty snakes where I live can kill you just fine if you end up stepping on one. They can be under a thin layer of leaves and you wouldn't know.

Boots for me when proper /out/
>>
>>990325
You have to be careful. Your feet need to be trained for it, without proper calluses and acclimation you could injure yourself badly.

You also always want to bring shoes+socks just in case, as not all environments are suitable for barefoot hiking. Socks especially.

The real key is actually to avoid moving water unless you're absolutely sure its safe, that shit can have glass which is a non-starter for an extended hike.
>>
>>990420
This is some of the worst hippie science I've ever seen. Here's a (You) for your efforts.
>>
>>995695
Thanks, anon. What did I get wrong? The electron thing?
>>
>>995722
Everything but:

>Better balance
>Better walking speed
>>
File: ghillieman.png (1021KB, 615x828px) Image search: [Google]
ghillieman.png
1021KB, 615x828px
>>995778
Fair enough. Those were all my personal observations, so it's far from being hard science. I swear though, everything on that list has started happening since I went barefoot. Thanks for the (You)'s though!
>>
>>995786
"Earthing" is pure quackery, though:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/earthing/
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/428133/your-appliances-are-grounded-so-why-not-you/
>>
>>990420
>negative electrons
>>
>>995837
Regarding the technology review article, I agree. Plugging a mat into the "ground" hole on an outlet is stupid. Here's the difference that I see between what I do and what who ever was the subject of the article did: They spend more money to become grounded, I spend less money. I'm by no means somebody that can read scientific papers about the flow of electricity and know what the heck they're talking about, but I can do my own "research". I figure that if somebody is trying to advertise a product that directly benefits them, they have incentive to be dishonest. If somebody advertises me a theory that, if correct would only benefit me, they don't. Taking off your shoes literally costs nothing, so I tried it, and guess what? They were right about the benefits. No clue if the theory itself is correct, but something happens when you take your shoes off. I sleep better, I have better stamina, and I have less foot/leg/joint pain.

Theness's article has a bit more meat to it, but it doesn't really address what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about free radicals or transferring electrons. I'm talking about being positively charged vs. negatively charged. If you are positively charged, and the earth is full of electrons, which are negatively charged, you'll become grounded. Again, I ain't no scientist, so don't take my word for it. Just get out there and do it to see what happens.

>>995843
Apologies for my redundancies, comrade. I guess that's what I get for talking off the top of my head.
>>
>>990325
in the real wilderness..there is SHIT everywhere.
poo patties every two to three feet.

but my /outo/ cutie gf and i go barefoot as much as possible because it feels good
>>
>>995866
>I'm not talking about free radicals or transferring electrons. I'm talking about being positively charged vs. negatively charged
If you're talking about electric charge, you're talking about transferring electrons. And as far as that goes, you ground yourself pretty effectively every time you touch a metal tap.
>>
>>995967
Yeah, I just got done brushing up on general electrical whatnot and I see your point. Surely prolonged exposure would be more effective than just the odd couple seconds you spend in contact with metal though?
>>
>>995944
>in the real wilderness
You're in a fucking cow field, anon
>>
>tfw have a fetish for girls going barefoot outside over long distances and rough conditions.

The only real content that exists for this is playing video games where you can play a barefoot girl, everything else is just regular footfag shit.
>>
>>991598
You just made that shit up.
>>
>>990420
>I can "see" with my feet. Basically just like feeling your way around rather than needing to see everything.
>There's the whole concept of "grounding" where all the electricity that gets stored up in your body is discharged by the negative electrons in the earth, leading to all kinds of health benefits.
Can you sense peoples killing intent as well? Ever learned how to manipulate chakra?
>>
>>990325
I've been doing it most of my life just fucking around in the ozark mountains where I'm from. You won't have a good time until you get thick callouses, every summer it takes about a week of walking around barefoot before my sissy winter feet go back to normal.
Never fucked around on a multiday hike barefoot and have no desire to
>>
>>990420
>There's the whole concept of "grounding" where all the electricity that gets stored up in your body is discharged by the negative electrons in the earth, leading to all kinds of health benefits.
What about the positive electrons science-boi?
It's obvious that your level of understanding both physiology and electricity are on a equal level!
>>
I'd be worried about getting cuts on my feet and stepping in dog shit. That's a bad mix right there.
>>
>>992480
Kek
>>
>>995786
>so it's far from being hard science.
You don't say, eh?
>>
>>995866
>If somebody advertises me a theory that, if correct would only benefit me, they don't.
Ah, the breeding ground of the anti-vaccine and other quackery. "Hey, this stupid idea might benefit me, therefore it must be true"! >

>995967
Not to mention that ground is a reference point. It isn't some static universal charge. Floating ground in electronic appliances can be hundreds of volts off the mains ground.
>>
>>997927
I'm not trying to say it must be true. I'm saying that doing it and drawing my own conclusions comes at 0 cost, so why not?

>>997736
I'm lvl 99 magic fite me in the wildy
>>
File: 1475172258033.png (422KB, 597x412px) Image search: [Google]
1475172258033.png
422KB, 597x412px
>>992480
>>
>>995944
Go pray to your eight armed menstrual God Pajeet.
>>
File: HAMMARS.webm (583KB, 460x344px) Image search: [Google]
HAMMARS.webm
583KB, 460x344px
>>997858
I thought electrons were by definition negative? Or are you talking about how I said "negative electron", in which case, sorry for the redundancy. That's what I get for talking off the top of my head, eh?
>>
>>997979
Positrons, m8. It's a real thing
>>
>>990325
jesus wore sandals, so i dont trip. sure i like being '''natural''' and conscientious. but some things pass into the realm of stupidity.

you might train your body to increase your threshold of exposure, but the probably of those skills or genetics furthering our evolution is slim. i think think there is a shoe eating virus in the world. not to be dismissive of course
>>
>>990535
not him, but 'sight' is perspective. it is said that you can 'see' with different parts of your body, depending on their sensitivity. sensing temperature or wind create a mental picture, however subconscious it might be. yea, i would call being barefoot pretentious, but knowing my feet, its likely that a certain amount of exposure to soil is in our genetic reliance. exfoliating and moisturizing the bottom of your feet, which is an area currently in concern for much of the population when it comes to circulation problems and etc
>>
>>1000399
~probability, ~dont think
>>
>>1000397
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positron#Natural_production >inb4 not a real source

>Positrons are produced naturally in β+ decays of naturally occurring radioactive isotopes (for example, potassium-40) and in interactions of gamma quanta (emitted by radioactive nuclei) with matter. Antineutrinos are another kind of antiparticle produced by natural radioactivity (β− decay).
>Many different kinds of antiparticles are also produced by (and contained in) cosmic rays.
>When a low-energy positron collides with a low-energy electron, annihilation occurs.
>the American Astronomical Society has discovered antimatter (positrons) originating above thunderstorm clouds; positrons are produced in gamma-ray flashes created by electrons accelerated by strong electric fields in the clouds

I'm pretty sure there isn't anywhere near enough positrons in the earth to affect people.
>>
Getting worms: the thread.
>>
File: 1424018687853-2.png (83KB, 526x300px) Image search: [Google]
1424018687853-2.png
83KB, 526x300px
>>992480
>>
why not just hike naked while your at it.
>>
>>1000713
I would, but western society has decided to criminalize the human body.

Technically still legal on NPS land, but rangers don't know this and will kick you out anyways.
>>
>>1000725
So do you hike with as little clothing as possible? I'm just trying to understand your thought process here.
>>
>>1000788
Personally, I hike with as little clothing as I can, according to the conditions.

If it's below 55 degrees, I prefer to wear shoes, or boots if it is really cold. Jeans and long sleeve shirts at this temperature.

Likewise, if the weather is nice and it is early enough in the spring or late enough in fall that the bugs are not a gigantic nuisance I'll wear shorts and go shirtless.

In summertime, I usually get the jeans out again, cuff them to about ankle height and I wear t shirts, to cover the parts of my body which stay static when I'm walking.

Clothes are very useful tools that we've invented, but there are certain times of the year when it feels good to be outside and be naked and I don't think people should be punished or shamed for admitting this.
>>
>>990420
This sounded like some kind of fake anime gimmick magic
>>
>>1000816
You just put this thread into full on hippie territory. Thanks a lot.

>>1000825
As opposed to real anime gimmick magic?
>>
>>1001060
It was pretty hippie already desu
>>
You know what's keeping me from going full barefoot? The cold. What tips do you guys have for it?
>>
>>1001106
Yeah, but it was more "Pot-head at the end of your street" hippie. Now it's "Nudist orgies in a vanagon down by the beach" hippie.
>>
File: mukluks.jpg (145KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
mukluks.jpg
145KB, 736x1104px
>>1001327
Depends how cold it is where you are. For anything below -10C, I'd recommend Manitobah Mukluks. They're kinda pricey, but I spend so little on shoes during the warm seasons that it doesn't. really make a difference. They also last for eons, so you're not gonna need to replace them for at least 5 or 10 years.
>>
>>1001337
It's funny you say that, cause I'm about the farthest thing from a social nudist as you can get.

I only been to a nudist camp one time, and most of the people there were huge assholes (kek)

Most of them made fun of me for not wearing shoes, which I thought was weird af. One old guy started hitting on me, and another dude flat out told me to leave.

4/10 experience..the lake and wind and sun was lovely but I wouldn't ever do it again. I just want to be naked and alone innawoods desu
>>
>>1001379
Fair enough, buddy. To each his own. Just don't expect me to not freak out a little if I walk up on you in the woods while you're doing your thing :P
>>
>>1001341
Nice. Since we're in Mocassin territory I wouldn't mind hearing what kind of advice I can get from people who use them in this thread.
>>
>>1001446
mocassins usually don't last more than a year since they're just soft flexible leather. probably the best thing for you feet though. since I've started wearing mocs my toes spread out a lot more than they used to. the first week or two sucks but they're super comfortable after that. the important parts are:
-flexible toe box that will expand to fit the width of your feet
-completely flat bottom, no raised heel. this causes you to walk naturally without heel striking, saving your knees, hips and ankles
-thin sole, if any. this helps you feel the terrain and encourages stepping lightly

if you're going to wear them in the street then get a ~4mm flat textured rubber sole. if you're only wearing them in snow or on trails then a thinner crepe can work. I've worn unsoled (one layer of leather on the bottom) mocs and they're OK except they get really slippery on wet grass and wear out really quick. Apparently there's a native moccasin guild and they get mad when people make rubber bottom mocs, but fuck em. winter mocs should have wool on the bottom or lining the whole inside.

I dunno much about the manitobah mukluks because I don't wear that kind of shoe, but the people running the company are quite nice.
>>
>>1001457
Yeah, basically everything you said applies to Manitobah Mukluks. The only actual difference between the left and right mukluk is where the draw-string is, so as you wear them, they naturally conform to your left and right feet. Super wide toe box as well. The sole has pretty crummy traction, but I find just being able to feel around with your feet and shift your weight makes them just about as good as any normal, more aggressively treaded boot.
>>
>>990420
I didn't know the Avatar universe had internet. Who would be the biggest shitposter of the group?
>>
File: cactus juice.jpg (53KB, 786x600px) Image search: [Google]
cactus juice.jpg
53KB, 786x600px
>>1002185
Easily Sokka.
>>
>>1000816
I realize that it's 4chan and we're expected to post mostly snarky replies, but I think that this is actually a reasonable mindset. I would probably do the same thing if I could avoid the nasty glares from other hikers.
>>
>>990325
I accidentally ended up hiking 5 miles in hawaii in flip flops, does that count?
>>
>>1004373
Was it Haleakala National Park? I saw a few people wearing flip flops on the hiking trails there, which is something that I've never seen anywhere else.
>>
File: IMG_0353.jpg (118KB, 1332x601px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0353.jpg
118KB, 1332x601px
>>1004373
I wouldn't be able to walk that far in flip flops any more. They really screw up my gait and if I'm not careful I end up dragging bits on the ground and tripping over them. I only ever wear them to/from showers now.

I also finally ordered some minimalist footwear to work in when I can't get away with going barefoot and to wear in and out of truck stops.

Rate my choice, /barefoot/
>>
>>1006310
8/10
>>
File: 5X42Ily.jpg (29KB, 250x334px) Image search: [Google]
5X42Ily.jpg
29KB, 250x334px
>>990325
Enjoy the ticks my friend
>>
>>1006981
But ticks tend not to like infesting bare feet because it is too bright, too dry, too exposed and as an added plus, barefooters' skin tends to be thicker.

Feet inside socks, on the other foot, are an ideal place for ticks to eat: it's dark, tight, moist and by the time you find em they already have enough blood to molt
>>
File: 1488053192046.jpg (72KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1488053192046.jpg
72KB, 800x800px
>>1007013
>on the other foot
Oh aren't you clever
>>
>>1007013
Well shit. Guys, is this dude correct?
>>
I only barefoot 5th class
>>
I love barefoot hiking :3
>>
>>1008672
No. Hiking and walking barefoot absolutely does not keep ticks off of you.
>>
>>1008707
It does if you can prevent them from scurrying up your leg into your pants.
>>
I got chiggers one time. right above the foot. I swear they were on my leg a year before i realized what it was.
>>
>>990325
I did this for part of a camping trip in Wisconsin. The next day my feet were completely covered in red bumps. It didn't hurt or itch really, but they lasted for at least a month.
Walking barefoot feels kinda neat, but since shoes and boots exist, theres really no good reason to go barefoot unless you just dont have any shoes.
So going hiking barefoot is a pretty stupid idea. Things can only go wrong. Theres no benefit at all. Dont do it anon.
>>
>>1009617
It sounds to me like you didn't really know what you were doing, and walked through some poison ivy. So yeah, if you're not going to pay attention hiking barefoot is a pretty stupid idea and things will go wrong because, you know, you're not paying attention to the earth under your feet (which is kinda the point of walking barefoot)
>>
I ran around in the woods barefoot all the time when I was little. It got to the point I could step on thorns and stuff without issue. However I grew up and now I wear shoes like a well adjusted adult.
>>
>>1010142
So well-adjusted adults have to be soft weaklings?
>>
>>1010620
No.I mean well adjusted as in every action I take dose not center around proving how tough I am to people I don't give a shit about. What are you accomplishing running around barefoot other than making life harder for yourself. Buy some sandals I've done 10+ mile hikes in them. You get all the benefits and none of the downsides.
>>
>>1010834
ok friend, enjoy your flat feet, fungus, and osteoarthritis
>>
>>991598
I pistol hunt whitetail and it's occasional stalking... I have went barefoot before but it's a great way to get snake bit in the great state of Louisiana.... Trail runners are quieter for me ( mainly because screaming FuuuuUuUuUuck when you step on a stob usually scares off the deer)
>>
>>1010951
OK friend enjoy walking 5 miles with a 2 inch gash in your foot. It will happen. It happened to me a few times.
>>
>>1010834
You were insinuating that people who hike without footwear are somehow not well-adjusted adults. Nice bait, though.
>>
>>990325
>I want to pretend to be a paleo-nigger
>biggest concern is poison ivy
Can you please explain why you want parasites?
>>
>>1011772
I want my body to be an eco-system for tiny animals.
>>
>>1011695
I'm still insinuating that though.
>>
>>1011772
I just want to pretend I'm a human again, man
>>
Seven years ago I started wondering how some primitive people from long ago could walk and run around in bare feet without hurting. This was me assuming that movies depicting native americans, african tribesmen, etc. were factual. So I started walking barefoot down one of the lanes of quiet suburban streets (at ~3:00 a.m., mind you, because embarrassment), knowing intuitively that between this, the middle of the street, the very side of the street and the sidewalk, this was the softest and less damaging hard surface to train on, and no glass. After doing a few nights of this, and then shifting to the middle of the street, and then the grainy sidewalk, I built up calluses. When I felt I was ready, I went to the woods and what the fuck was that painful. Twigs and large pebbles, it was a whole new world. I realized that I needed something inbetween sidewalk phase and forest path phase. I could've invested more time, but I didn't. :)
>>
>>1011903
The heck kind of forests do you have that are more painful than concrete? All the woods around me are nice and soft on the feet as long as you stay out of the odd bit of dead grass.
>>
File: 1489280861897.jpg (13KB, 414x415px) Image search: [Google]
1489280861897.jpg
13KB, 414x415px
>>997593
what . what ? wat
>>
>>1011930
At the time I lived in Massachusetts. I doubt that narrows it down. Sharp quarter-size rocks everywhere. Concrete is flat and not spikey. But now that I'm in Brazil, some of these sidewalks can be treacherous.
>>
I always hike barefoot I live in tennessee not to worried about poison I can identify it
>>
Just wear fucking moccasins or toe shoes, man.
The punctures aren't worth it.
Moccasins cost like 20 bucks, last forever if you aren't walking on pavement, and you gain a skill if you make them from a piece of hide, not with a kit.
>>
File: nose baby.jpg (66KB, 700x773px) Image search: [Google]
nose baby.jpg
66KB, 700x773px
>>1012028
>Moccasins
>20 bucks
I don't believe you.
>>
>>1012550
I don't mean finished ones. Leather isn't expensive where I live. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>1012581
Ah, that makes more sense.
>>
>>990325
it's an amazing thing to do, just make sure your feetsies can handle it before you get yourself in a bad spot
>>
>>990443
do you mean nicotene in the air from the smoke or nicotene in the blood from the smoking?
>>
>>1012550
You can get that pretty easy from a thrift store if they tend to be culturally relevant in your area (I live in California)
>>
>>1014261
Even a heavy smoker wouldn't have enough nicotine in their blood to kill (or deter) mosquitoes.
>>
>>1001446
Go to Michael's and get a rubberless moccasin kit for 20 bucks. Don't wear socks with it then though, it doesn't feel right, and your feet will get used to the air exchange. I wear mine all the time, but they will wear out. Try to walk in the grass and avoid pavement as much as possible. I tend to swap between them and some tennis shoes about every other day. You'll walk on the balls of your feet more.
Thread posts: 198
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.