[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Helmets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 12

Hey /out/, I need a new helmet.

Id prefer to just get one, but I'm not sure if the same helmet would be good enough for mountain biking, urban exploration and light climbing/bouldering. Blah blah saftey ratings, ect.

If one helmet can do the above reasonably well, do you have reccomendations? Preferably under about 50 bucks or so.

Pic related is the Bell Segment, but because of the construction of the foam, I have my doubts of it's actual helmet use. Stuff like the Protec Ace and many of its derivatives use just a soft foam that I also have my doubts as to if it's more than just a "bump" helmet for urbanex or tacticool use.

I have a Bell Faction that seems OK other than the fact that even in size Large, it seems too small. I've looked at snowboard helmets and I've found a few of those that fit nicely (like the Smith Holt and a few Giros) but those are more costly.
>>
>>989089
You wear a helmet when you boulder?.........
>>
File: Yk2NQG6.jpg (973KB, 3002x2390px) Image search: [Google]
Yk2NQG6.jpg
973KB, 3002x2390px
>>
>>989089
Each disciplines helmets are designed for their particular hazards. You're not going to have adequate protection using a climbing helmet for cycling etc.

tl:dr buy multiple helmets for each sport you intend on doing
>>
>>989155
i couldnt see why you couldnt use a ski/board helmet for MTB. similar speeds and risks of crashes.
>>
>>989198
It'll be way too hot and maybe too hard on the neck when you get jarred side to side.
>>
File: 42415510-1-sz.jpg (175KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
42415510-1-sz.jpg
175KB, 1200x1200px
25 dollarybucks at Kmart bro. it's nicer than it looks in the pic. "Skate style" helmet that's certified for multiple sports, including mountian biking, skating, climbing. check the size guides (in cm) and measure your head. The small/medium helm wouldn't fit on me and the medium/large helm is pretty good, although not perfectly snug.
>>
>>989198
They're not really ventilated. You could prob use them but it would suck 3 out of 4 seasons. >>989205
>>
File: 1465574051737.jpg (18KB, 261x192px) Image search: [Google]
1465574051737.jpg
18KB, 261x192px
>>989155
this

Some gear works in similar sports, but there's no one-size-fits-all equipment.

Get a MTB helmet for MTB, get a climbing helmet for urbex and climbing.

Destroyed my MX helmet a few months ago, that's obviously due for replacement.
My DS helmet could stand to be replaced too, i've had that for a few years now.
And I should probably get a climbing helmet for tower work... hard hat works well enough though.
>>
>>989089
My grandpa always had this helmet in the attic and he said it works just fine.

i think he was an electrician.
>>
>>989390
lol
>>
>>989390
fucking kek
>>
File: zyklon-a-foto.jpg (93KB, 616x468px) Image search: [Google]
zyklon-a-foto.jpg
93KB, 616x468px
>>989390
>electrician
wrong utility company anon
>>
>>989208
Nice vents, I would totally wear that on an off road century ride in 100 degree heat.
>>
>>989147
he wants to go climbing and mountain biking, not larping. I hate this pic please stop posting it guys.
>>
>>989556
It's cheep anon.
>>
>>989560
Yeah but the ambulance bill when you collapse from heatstoke isn't. I might wear that for bmx or winter cycling but that's it.
>>
>>989147
I know it's a meme kit but what are those shoes? They look comfy af
>>
>>989330
Can you reccomend a decent, affordable climbing helmet?
>>
how bout yalls post pictures of your helmets

anyone have a mammut alpine rider?
>>
File: IMG_20160625_205529507_HDR-L.jpg (133KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160625_205529507_HDR-L.jpg
133KB, 800x451px
>>989694
Dunno, haven't looked too hard or tried any on. Seems like the high-end ones go for $100-150, a decent one can be found for $50-ish, or go for $20 stuff from china.
Really, I just want a hard hat that straps onto my head. Hard hat is sufficient for the majority of the work I do, and I haven't had any issues using it at height. We'll see how much work I end up getting this summer... figure that out before I commit to another helmet, since I already have something that works.

>>990474
>pic related
FXR lid (left) got smashed when I smashed my face against a tree in feb.,
AFX (right) helmet's got a lot of miles on it, probably due for replacement anyways.
>looking at $150-300/ea for these
>>
>>989089
Go to a bike shop, try some on, get what fits best.
For cycling you should not have a climbing helmet, because bicycle helmets are made with foam that compresses on impact to slow the deceleration. A climbing helmet won't provide adequate protection in a cycling crash.
I *think* that a bike helmet would work fine for climbing, but I'm not sure of that.
But if you want one for all the things you mentioned I'd definitely get a cycling helmet. And specifically one that offers a lot of coverage, so a mountain bike helmet over a road helmet. If you prefer the 'urban' style like in OP pic, consider Giro Silo, Quarter, or Session. The Quarter also comes in a MIPS version which will offer a bit more protection in a cycling crash. Giro has a very accurate size chart on their website.
>inb4 Giro shill
I just find Giro helmets to be the most comfortable so they're always what I go with. Every head is different, they work best for mine.
>>
>>990574
call me a noob, but MIPS is like, multiple impact, right?

Actually, the Giro, sutton, i think it was? but im not fond of the bill on the front.
>>
File: Holohaux claims.jpg (147KB, 576x720px) Image search: [Google]
Holohaux claims.jpg
147KB, 576x720px
you really want to go poorfag just buy a used hockey helmet, can't believe no one has mentioned it, I mean, where's all the white people?

>>989410
that's nasty. I remember the lice checks in elementary school, the bitch used the same stick on everyone's head.
>>
>>989089
Is that a real helmet or is that a potato helmet?
>>
>>989390
That's a gas company helmets tbqh senpai.
>>
>>991195
>call me a noob, but MIPS is like, multiple impact, right?
No. Multi-impact helmets do exist (they provide less protection in a high-speed impact but will hold up to multiple low speed impacts; good for skateboarders) but MIPS is completely unrelated. MIPS is a plastic liner of sorts inside the helmet that is accalimed to reduce the risk of rotational injuries (whereas helmets are typically designed only to protect from blunt force impacts and the like).
If you don't want a bill, look into the helmets I listed in the post you replied to.
>>
"Cycle helmets don't provide protection, says neurosurgeon"
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cycle-helmets-dont-provide-protection-says-neurosurgeon-9465257.html
>>
File: 1363484991329.jpg (34KB, 304x288px) Image search: [Google]
1363484991329.jpg
34KB, 304x288px
>>989390
top jej
>>
File: i-WhFS9dz-L.jpg (109KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-WhFS9dz-L.jpg
109KB, 800x600px
>>991397
Always kinda makes me laugh when I see bicycles scooting along at 40-ish m/h...
...when you eat shit at that speed, it doesn't matter if you're on a bicycle or motorcycle, 40mph is 40mph and your ass is going for a slide.

>Pic related
dude ate shit not long before I got there. Had some pretty gnarly road rash on his leg/shoulder.
As i'm riding by in a full-face helmet and jacket with armor...

Dress for the crash, not the ride.
>>
>>991434
sup cuck, I used to ride bicycles, was fun passing cars, but then injuries, so I ride motorcycles now, be physically fit so you don't have to wear a corset. as if flesh wounds are a good excuse for wearing retard uniform. I walked away with minor injuries from a 140mph slide, have fun "being safe" with your broken neck and increased water intake.
>>
Light climbing you probably don't need a helmet. Even in multi pitch some guys forgo it. Bouldering is usually done without a helmet. So you're asking for a mountain bike helmet.
>>
File: Sargon_Is_a_Faggot.jpg (106KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
Sargon_Is_a_Faggot.jpg
106KB, 1024x682px
>>991488
>1488
heiled
>>
>>989147
what's the point of posting this?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.