[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Out/ Books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 17

I'm going on an out trip for a few weeks, what are some /out/ books that I can load on my Kindle for the nights?
>>
Doesn't have to do with /out/ exactly but it has a great philosophy I think /out/ists could appreciate. Siddartha, by Herman Hesse
Currently I'm reading Interpreter of Maladies and really enjoying it. It's a collection of short stories but it won a pulitzer a few years ago.
>>
>>988345
Cheers, it's on my list :)
>>
>>988341
Look up the Foxfire books.

>>988345
I read Siddhartha every summer.
>>
Ww2 memoir books are pretty great. There's a ton of great writers that were drafted, most of the ones who survived wrote about it. When you have so many books being written about one war, you're bound to see a few diamonds.
>>
>>988341
>>>/lit/
>>
Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
>>
Do fictional planets count? Read Dune
>>
File: on_the_origin_of_species.jpg (293KB, 650x918px) Image search: [Google]
on_the_origin_of_species.jpg
293KB, 650x918px
>>
File: SandCounty.jpg (33KB, 304x500px) Image search: [Google]
SandCounty.jpg
33KB, 304x500px
>>989334
>>
File: vorrh-cover-web.jpg (457KB, 1000x684px) Image search: [Google]
vorrh-cover-web.jpg
457KB, 1000x684px
>>989335
>>
File: IMG_0527.jpg (28KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0527.jpg
28KB, 314x475px
>>
>>988345
>but it has a great philosophy
Hedonistic nihilism in denial... Yeah, great philosophy.
>>
>>990317
Wait, I had always assumed Siddhartha was inspired by Buddhist ideas; Did I get the wrong idea, or are you calling Buddhistic ideas hedonistic nihilism?
>>
File: IMG_0533.jpg (44KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0533.jpg
44KB, 313x475px
>underage anal gang rape innawoods
>>
>>990346
>are you calling Buddhistic ideas hedonistic nihilism
This. I understand the whole balance memes that half reject hedonism, but it's basically if centrism was a philosophy.
It's a philosophy for people who don't want to think.

I didn't care for Siddartha very much.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (2KB, 95x150px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
2KB, 95x150px
>>988341
>>
File: miller.jpg (3KB, 98x150px) Image search: [Google]
miller.jpg
3KB, 98x150px
>>990365
>>
Bukowski is good for the woods
>>
>>988345
which translation of Siddartha is best?
>>
File: [CAN'T WAKE UP].png (63KB, 507x485px) Image search: [Google]
[CAN'T WAKE UP].png
63KB, 507x485px
>>990365
>that story where the guy slices open a vagina
>>
>>988341
ISAIF
>>
File: IMG_7570.jpg (39KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7570.jpg
39KB, 330x500px
>ctrl+f "Hatchet"
>no results
Thought this was required reading here
>>
>>988354
Agreed on the Foxfire books.
Got Foxfire 1 from a relative's estate. It's dizzying to think of just how much we as a culture have lost in terms of real knowledge simply from not having to do things for ourselves.
>>
>>991336
this
>>
Jim Harrison is pretty /out/
>>
>>988341

I'll be homeless for a couple months, with no internet, and only electricity from a car charger, so this thread pertains to my interest.

I started collecting:

The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings

Long, outdoors-ish, entertaining.
>>
Anything from John Muir is perfect /out/ literature.
>>
>>988354
Look up the Foxfire books.

Came to say this. Really enjoying them. Lots of used ones out there.
>>
>>991336
You do realize that one reason they talked to so many people is because no one person could do all the things in those books, right? I mean, each one could individually do most of it to some degree, but it's not like everyone is going to play songs like Stanley Hicks, and then go build a perfect cabin, and then build a wagon the next day.

Now, I know that there's a whole different thread devoted to bluegrass and /out/, but just in case you wondered what it would be like to actually talk to some of the people interviewed by the kids from Mountain City...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swGncojYqZo
>>
>>991448
>>991465

You know, maybe I should add that I've actually met some of those people, at least ones who were still alive in 2003-ish to about 2006 in Madison County, NC. I've told that story on here before, but all that came of it was the part where I took a shit in a stream became a meme for a while.

(God forbid anyone remember the part where my options were shit in the house and have it flushed into the stream, or shit directly in the stream, because there was no septic system until we finished putting it in...)

Anyway, back on topic, I'm always pretty surprised at stuff like The Grapes of Wrath. I mean, there are several people in that book wo just say "fuck it, I'm going to be a hunter-gatherer for the foreseeable future." I do think that people used to have a lot more contact with nature decades ago. Most people were outside most of the time back when farming was the most common occupation.
>>
>>991465
>no one person could do all the things in those books
sounds like a challenge
>>
>>989340
>IT'S FUTURE
>>
>>988345
another by Hesse that I prefer as being more relevant to Europe is "Narcissus and Goldmund". It's about a young budding medieval artist who goes on a sort of spiritual journey over the landscape. Interesting both for the historical setting and philosophical concepts.
>>
Mountaineering literature is probably my favorite

Annapurna by Maurice Herzog (first ascent of an 8000m peak, epic journey and nearly a complete disaster)
Minus 148 Degrees by Art Davidson (about Mckinely winter attempt in the 60s)
Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage by Hermann Buhl (more of an autobiography but this guy was a legend)
The Shining Mountain by Peter Boardman (epic first ascent in great style)
The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer (story of the first ascent of the Eiger North Face, same guy who wrote Seven Years in Tibet)
Beyond the Mountain by Steve House (one of the greatest modern alpinists, he's a good writer with a lot of insight)
>>
>>990317
great as in interesting. I'm don't remember getting exactly that out of the book but ok.

>>990774
I just picked up a random one from my university's library. Wish I could help.

>>992739
Thanks, I'll have to look into that.
>>
File: dersu_uzala2.jpg (37KB, 510x275px) Image search: [Google]
dersu_uzala2.jpg
37KB, 510x275px
>>988341
>Nobody said a word about Vladimir Arsenyev
Cmon /out/
>>
>>990385
This anon got it right but however one should read it acquire perspective on it.
And Coelho is junk, but also read it just so you understand what junk is. Alchemist is his peak performance in writing pocket quasi philosophy for desperate housewives, next being Manual for the Warrior of Light or wtf was that shit called.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Runningonbrains/Survivors
and 438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea
>>
Dune if you're going innadesert.
>>
>>988341
Kropotkin - Conquest of Bread
>>
File: 3489016.jpg (62KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
3489016.jpg
62KB, 313x475px
>>988345
siddartha is pretentious emotional bullshit. Waste of time

Instead, read pulpy victorian adventure and weird fiction. Like Red Nails, The Moon Pool,The house on the borderland, Lovecraft, HG wells, and pretty much every other short story listed in pic related which deals with exploration and spooky encounters. Also war pulp goes well. Tank! #2 Fortress eagle, for instance, was pure sex. Even Heinlein's ridiculous SIXTH COLUMN was great to read in the vein.

When you go /out/ read adventure and spooky stuff for fun. Stuffy classics and non-fiction are best saved for indoors with a cup of tea
>>
>>988368
Also, Storm of Steel WW1 memoir
>>
>>988341
the collected Sherlock Holmes stories would keep anyone entertained.
>>
/lit/ here.

I'd recommend any books that are directly located in your setting. For instance, when I was exploring New Mexico, I read Death Comes for The Archbishop. When I was in California, i read the pertinent sections in Travels with Charley. If you're in the App mountains (love them), check out anything written by Ron Rash. Walk in the Woods isn't terrible either.
>>
File: 20065883_5_600_965.jpg (97KB, 600x965px) Image search: [Google]
20065883_5_600_965.jpg
97KB, 600x965px
Loved this classic
>>
Does any have a mega link for a compilation of /out/ books?

preferably ebooks.
>>
Leaves of Grass is great poetry for what you're looking for.
>>
>>991321
this desu, and read all the sequels too (the river, brian's winter, brian's return and brian's hunt)

also read gary paulsen's other stuff, he's the most /out/ author I know
>>
File: tmp_24616-pyov8I3_d-878061667.jpg (69KB, 391x598px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_24616-pyov8I3_d-878061667.jpg
69KB, 391x598px
How has no one posted Bear? It got the highest literary award possible in canada.
>>
File: cold.jpg (40KB, 328x500px) Image search: [Google]
cold.jpg
40KB, 328x500px
the collected songs of cold mountain
>>
This is a good one.

>Lieutenant Thomas Glahn, a hunter and ex-military man, lives alone in a hut in the forest with his faithful dog Aesop. Upon meeting Edvarda, the daughter of a merchant in a nearby town, they are both strongly attracted to each other, but neither understands the other's love. Overwhelmed by the society of people where Edvarda lives, Glahn has a series of tragedies befall him before he leaves forever.
>>
Sukkwan Island :^)
>>
File: canada feels.jpg (157KB, 680x670px) Image search: [Google]
canada feels.jpg
157KB, 680x670px
>>996201
There are days where being Canadian is a burden. This has become one of those days.
>>
>>988345
Literally thought about re-reading it again before i opened this thread. Sitting on my desk right now. I guess this is a sign, eh?
>>
Robinson Crusoe

The Man from the Wild - Harold Bindloss

The Gravedigger - Peter Grandbois
Gravedigger isn't really an /out/ related book, but a good read nonetheless.
>>
>>991321
tfw I have an autographed copy of this because I read more books than other kids in the 5th grade
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.