[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cob Houses (Cheat mode or meme edition)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: COB.jpg (84KB, 640x421px) Image search: [Google]
COB.jpg
84KB, 640x421px
Hello /out/! I was looking into buying land up in Oregon to start a homestead/farm/semi-self-sustainment plot (maybe 3-5 acres) and I came across picrelated. I'd like to know if anybody here knows of or has built a cob house. They look like the ultimate creative building material, but is it meme tier or actually a viable option?
>>
Your county code may not let you build one. Enjoy living with mice
>>
>>986454
Check legality, also making a house out of dirt in western Oregon is a terrible idea with all the rain, but it might work in the desert.
>>
>>986454
Land is expensive here, just fyi
>>
>>986458
>>986460
They can't make you tear it down though, right? I mean if it's not up to code, you just call it a shed and not get utilities I thought?
>>
>>987127

Depends on a lot of things. Also check the homestead laws in the area.
>>
>>987127
They can actually, or ticket you daily until you do. In my county anything bigger than 8x8 requires a building permit and plans must be approved. Pretty clear you have no idea what you're doing.
>>
>>987127
They can. Riderfag here, know a guy who built his own 'log cabin' in the woods. Stood for a few years before somebody ratted him out.. He had to tear it down or face fines/imprisonment. but Pennsylvania is a hellhole for legislation. Fucking commonwealth.
>>986460
Although there are several Irish cob houses that have stood for centuries, I suppose it's all about how you construct it to keep water off.
>>
>>986454

I did my thesis on sustainable living. I visited a number of places around the country that used different methods of building using native or reused materials. They we're all pretty sweet but I was amazed at the cobb housing in a community in Asheville, NC. Lots of cobb and that place is snowy in winter and humid and hot in the summer. Its a temperate rain forest on the side of the mountain where they were and they didn't seem to have many difficulties on their houses. The trick is to get good boots and a good hat, high waterproof foundation and solid large eaves on the house to pull water away from the walls.

You can also look into building a earthship with compacted soil in tires. It makes a pretty good foundation without concrete and one person can do it with a shovel and hammer. It'll take forever, but one man can do it with hand tools! Once that is built you can build a frame and cobb onto that. The houses were very charming, ornate in a folky way, but modern, clean, and cozy.
>>
>>987353
>I fly around the country saving the planet
>t. hypocritical planet killer
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.