[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mg/ mountaineering general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 14

File: IMG_2205.jpg (193KB, 590x392px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2205.jpg
193KB, 590x392px
/mg/ mountaineering general
>>
Did rainier when i was like 12

Shit is boring i just play video games now
>>
>>985619
Climbing Rainier is not mountaineering, unless you do it without a guide
>>
File: thalay-sagar-moveable-feast-1.jpg (194KB, 1684x1123px) Image search: [Google]
thalay-sagar-moveable-feast-1.jpg
194KB, 1684x1123px
get on this level
>>
>>
>>
File: Everest Kangshung Face Close Up.jpg (241KB, 633x915px) Image search: [Google]
Everest Kangshung Face Close Up.jpg
241KB, 633x915px
>>
File: Jannu_North_Face.jpg (133KB, 1100x703px) Image search: [Google]
Jannu_North_Face.jpg
133KB, 1100x703px
Just posting some of my favorite routes
>>
File: Mount_Robson_08122005.jpg (2MB, 2022x1448px) Image search: [Google]
Mount_Robson_08122005.jpg
2MB, 2022x1448px
>>
>>
>>
File: Trango_Towers_2.jpg (617KB, 824x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Trango_Towers_2.jpg
617KB, 824x1280px
>>
>>985630
that doesn't look so bad. what's the big danger there?
>>
File: 117364web.jpg (280KB, 499x428px) Image search: [Google]
117364web.jpg
280KB, 499x428px
https://www.outsideonline.com/2168681/everest-2017-new-routes-new-records-and-lots-climbers

this will be an exciting year on Everest:

It's a new route that would link Everest and neighboring Lhotse, the world's fourth tallest peak, using the never-repeated Everest traverse pioneered by Americans Tom Hornbein and Willi Unsoeld in 1963. Hornbein and Unsoeld ascended the West Ridge from Camp 2, traversed over to the eponymous Hornbein Couloir on the north face, climbed that to a snowfield that led to the summit, then descended to the South Col and returned to base camp.

Steck and Tenji will break from the 1963 route at the South Col and follow an exposed traverse to the Lhotse Couloir that was pioneered by Kazakh alpinist Denis Urubko in 2010. After summiting Lhotse, the pair intends to either return to Base Camp or, if they're feeling strong, continue their enchainment with a third peak—possibly 25,791-foot Nuptse, a sharp skyscraper next to Lhotse, though Steck wouldn't say what his third permit is for.
>>
>>985651
Typical K2 stuff like avalanche danger (especially on the lower parts) very short weather windows, altitude of course.
>>
File: u32ziu423332.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
u32ziu423332.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>985651
>>
>>985658
i see.

i've only read exactly two books about mountaineering, so I don't know much about it. i thought that K2 was dangerous because it was a very technical climb, I didn't know that objective hazards played a bigger role.
>>
>>985665
yeah, I guess I know a lot less than what I thought. for example, this:

>>985620

I had no idea they actually _climbed_ the mountains, as in they actually vertically climb the fucking things suspended on their ice axes. that's insane, I just thought of mountaineering as really long, shitty and steep hikes.

hope to do it someday, looks nice.
>>
>>985669
lol, you did mountaineer.

mountaineering
>getting to the top

alpinism
>climbing a mountain in style
>>
>>985669
>just thought of mountaineering as really long, shitty and steep hikes.
It can be. /out/ is full of fucking elitist pricks but yeah some hikes withcrampons and ice axes in avy terrain would constitute easy mountaineering. Then again so do 5thclass climbs above 15,000'. It's a broad term.
>>
I was looking into walking through the HRP (haute randonnée pyrénéenne) during summer (like june or july).
It is basically a trail that goes from the Hendaye to Banyuls (through the whole Pyrenees). I was wondering if I need climbing equipment like crampons, an ice axe, etc
>>
>>985889
>climbing a mountain in style
I am forever borrowing this phrase anon, thanks :)
>>
>>985622

Holy shit
>>
>>985622
interestingly thalay sagar was climbed successfully in the first attempt. even though it is considered quite difficult. but it was only opened in the 70's so people had better gear and experience than with other first attempts still an impressive feat. (though i don't know how much the other /first routes are easier then the pic

>>985639
>>985644
those are some nice looking mountains. nanga parbat viewed from the Fairy Meadows is a long time favorite
>>
>>985889
Pretty much this. Anything more technical than basic crampon or ice axe use is probably going to be considered alpinism.

If you're using ice tools I would venture to say you're beyond mountaineering.
>>
Any Victorians know any good beginner tips for mountaineering?
>>
File: Victorian Climbers.jpg (81KB, 440x700px) Image search: [Google]
Victorian Climbers.jpg
81KB, 440x700px
>>986581
Being fashionable is more important that being warm.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.