[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I remove small rust spots like these from my knife?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0683.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0683.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
How do I remove small rust spots like these from my knife?
>>
File: buffer.jpg (156KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
buffer.jpg
156KB, 960x1280px
>no electric buffer
>>
Unfortunately not. I've never had a knife get rust like this before, but it's been a few months since I've been out.
>>
>>985221
Glitz. It's a product mainly targeted at gun owners. Follow directions, Polish lightly with the grind grain.

Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover works ok and is easy to find.

If you're not worried about "pretty", just use 600-1000 grit wet/dry with some oil.
>>
>>985254
cheers, I bought some from amazon so I'll give it a go tomorrow
>>
>>985223
you probably burn the edges on all your "razor sharp" knives.
>>
>>985255
Sorry I meant "Flitz". Cancel your order if you bought "Glitz".
>>
File: p13137.jpg (100KB, 600x1206px) Image search: [Google]
p13137.jpg
100KB, 600x1206px
>>985259
bruv, a nice soft flannel or cushion wheel with some white or red rouge will keep that edge perfect
>>
>>985223
>painter's tape to attach buffer
>>
>>985262
I figured that, thanks man
>>
>>985275
>what are tie down straps?
>>
>>985221
Dab with vinegar and then polish with steel wool. Once it's completely clean and dry, polish with wax between /out/ings.
>>
You could just leave it; it'll eventually patina on that point, which is protective.
>>
any kind of fine buffing compound would probably work...I have used bar keepers friend polish before since I always have some around for cleaning the sinks and toilets.
>>
>>985386
The steel is stainless will it patina? I have a couple Moras with a patina and I'm not really a fan, I prefer the shiny clean look, at least for the first couple of years I own a blade.
>>
>>985565
It won't get a nice patina. If you just let it rust to hell, then steel wool off the rust and treat with naval jelly, then you'll have some "patinaISH" black spots or streaks. It will just look like an abused knife though. Not the patina you get on high-carbon.
>>
>>985221
couple of options really:
steel brush
could try silvo or brasso on a q-tip
or an acid. coke will work slow, normal vinegar is faster, apple cider vinegar is faster, and the automotive rust removers work quite fast.

>>985386
no, it just is a point where moisture collects preferentially. It pits because there was rust there in the first place. patina is oxidation and oxidation is rust on steel. rust basically does not form a protective layer because it flakes off and exposes more of the surface to oxidation.

contrary to popular belief oxygen in air does not cause rust. It is the presence of BOTH O2 and H2O that is able to bond to the iron to form rust . Any rusting in air is from the moisture in the air basically.

also just like any chemical reaction, adding heat makes the reaction occur faster. So if you live in a hot and humid area you should oil or wax your knives to help prevent rusting. Or I guess you could even use silicon waterproofing spray as well.
>>
>>985852
and to really educate everyone, on stainless steel knives they are basically an iron/chromium alloy. They will rust/oxidize too actually. The difference is that the rust formed on them will form a thin chromium oxide layer that is effectively a patina because it is a protective layer that will stay and prevent further oxidation. So on a stainless knife that is rusting, you can leave it. On a proper steel knife, you really need to clean up the knife and add protectants regularly.
>>
>>985275
it's a tie down strap, anon
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 700x465px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 700x465px
>>985221
>rust spot looks exactly like a boar
What the... Anyone else seeing this?
>>
File: 1491388980261.jpg (74KB, 820x680px) Image search: [Google]
1491388980261.jpg
74KB, 820x680px
>>985894
upon closer inspection...
>>
>>985901
The knife is a TBS Boar: http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/tbs-boar-bushcraft-knife---firesteel-edition---turkish-walnut-15646-p.asp (I like it, it's a good replacement for my B.O.B).
It's the little rust spots around the boar.
>>
>>985901
Nice shop anon. I might do this with a sharpie or something
>>
>>985921
From what I've read this producer is a hit & miss when it comes to heat treatment.
>>
>>985926
This one seems ok, it's holding an edge pretty well, but I've only had a chance to get out with it a couple of times. I bought it on the recommendation of a friend, he seems to like his too. Time will tell I guess
>>
>>985262
The Flitz came this morning; I got home from work and gave it a go, it's taken it right off. Thanks, anon :)
>>
Late to the party but a trick that has worked for me in the past is using a copper brush or a copper penny(pre76 i think? I just use ones from that year and down) and some gun oil. Have used it on firearms and knives and it removes light rust without taking out your finish. Just oil the spot and gently scrub the area.
>>
>>986375
I've got an old carbon steel Mora, that's a little rusty. I'll give it a go on that, cheers anon :)
>>
Use a lemon
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.