[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Supertramp.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Supertramp.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
>Hey /out/,
As relentlessly proven in the past, the novel Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer has proven repeatedly to encourage the mind of young adults to venture out recklessly into their own forms of wilderness and I must do the same!

I plan to make the excursion to Alaska as well and plan on taking the bare essentials as well. I come to you to ask for opinions/advice as to what I should do differently.
I plan to make the trek by off-road vehicle and subsequently live out of it as well. I will be equipped with provisions for at least a month while hunting, gas and a bit of firewood to get started.

A weeks worth of clothing, two sets of hiking boots, two sleeping bags, [maybe a mattress] and a .22 rifle with 1200 rounds.

What else should I add to this list?

And if you see another "Tragedy In Alaska" news article in the next couple years, think of me!
>>
>>985166
>1200 rounds

what the fuck do you need that many rounds for nigga
>>
>>985167
I plan on staying for a while my guy
>>
>>985166
I never usually converse with retards but here goes nothing... Why bother "surviving" in the woods if you've already got the necessary supplies to survive?
It's as much use as shipping out your whole house and dumping it in the woods, or even bringing your whole town with you. You're not a man, you're a weakling. Any idiot can survive if they fill their bags with food and other goodies.
You wouldn't try to survive on minecraft creative mode, so why "try" to survive in the woods with all the supplies you need?

-Someone With a Brain
>>
>>985172
I never claimed survival, I DID title it camping after all. Perhaps you should read the title of the thread first newfag

-Someone with eyes
>>
>>985173
Wow! Sounds like such an experience! Taking your pre-made shelter, weapon, clothes, food, ammo and everything else your little heart desires so that you can sit on the forest and think that you're a BIG MAN. News flash, you're not, you're a fag.
>>
>>985175
My oh my, I apologize, for I did not realize taking provisions out into the wild was bad idea, leastwise I would have never mentioned it! If I was planning to only live for a month in the wilderness, why the hell would I bother bringing a rifle with a month of provisions? they're only there for necessity fucknuts.
>>
First and foremost educate yourself with the local flora and fauna. This is where Chris screwed the pooch. You can take as many supplies with you as you want but if you don't take your brain then you will die. Second, you need to rethink your weapon choice. A .22 is good enough for small game but a .223 will do small to medium and if you're good enough large game. You don't need to take 1200 rounds unless you plan on missing a lot. Take a USGS topo map. Chris didn't and he could have gotten out on his first attempt if he did. Lastly, if you plan on staying a month then prep for a two. Think about rescue communications. Alone in Alaska, or any sucluded area for that matter isn't smart. All it takes is a wrong step and you have broken ankle. Alone with no coms means death. Remember, Chris Hoboed for quite some time and had a good head on his shoulders. He was just arrogant in believing that he could control nature. Mother Nature is a cold, hard, unforgiving bitch and will punish the unprepared.
>>
File: IMG_5047.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5047.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I live in Alaska, took this pic today. Why do people come here to live out their survival fantasies? Why not Delaware or Arkansas?

>P.S. you'll die
>>
>>985183
Namely to visit the state and gain more survival experience [already basic military training] I plan to attend college in Alaska after a couple of years either way too.

But if I end up dying I aint even mad
>>
>>985175
>act like a fag
>call somebody else a fag

Not that I'm surprised, as that's exactly what a fag would do.
>>
My mother could pass basic.
>>
>>985192
My mother IS basic.
>>
>>985166
>.22 rifle
Go with a 12 ga. shotgun. The ammo will take up much more space, but you'll increase your prey selection by quite a bit, plus you'll be able to defend yourself from bears.
>>
>>985166

You know he died, right?
>>
>>985166
>novel
I know you mean movie, but okay.
>excursion to Alaska
Why? The weather there sucks. The only reason AK was ever a good idea was because you could get free land, that ain't the case any more.

>provisions for at least a month
48.9lbs (http://kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=22573)
>weeks worth of clothing
29.3lbs (http://www.cockeyed.com/science/weight/weight_menu.html)
>two sets of hiking boots
6lbs (http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots/)
>two sleeping bags
4lbs (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/11158-How-much-does-your-3-season-sleeping-bag-weigh)
>.22 rifle with 1200 rounds.
5lbs + 8.8lbs (http://allthingszombie.com/mb/index.php?/topic/5284-how-much-does-my-ammo-weigh/)

That's 102 lbs of gear. Good thing you're planning on car-camping and shooting stuff instead of doing anything even remotely difficult.
>>
>>986256
>all that research
That's one bored camper.
>>
>>986353
Waiting for gear to come in the mail sucks.
>>
>>985175
>"you're such a fag"
that's not a valid counterargument lol
>>
>>985183
I mean shit senpai, that's a beautiful view.
>>
>>985181
ya he was gettin by on mildly toxic seeds and roots after the squirrels ran out, but the real reason he died was because he stayed where he was. the river was high cause of summer snow melt, but he coulda crossed via a cable hand tram 1/2 mile from his bus. he chose not to cross the river, despite Krakauer and hollywood's depiction that he had no way out. dude knew he didnt have enough food to last until after the river got low but chose to hack it and starve rather than get out while he had the strength. sure the potato seeds might have weakened him, but its not as if he woulda survived had they been benign; dude was living off nothing. It was essentially suicide.
>>
>>986506

You're right about the movie, but Krakauer did not depict that McCandles had no way out - that was only the movie! Krakauer gets shit that he doesn't deserve because people think that he offered the same romantic story that the movie ended up delivering.
In the book Krakauer has spends several pages on the cable line and the fact that McCandles could have escaped easily if onyl he knew that it was there.

Also on the poison: The effect - at least the one Krakauer writes about - from the poison is that it makes the body reject the food (can't remenber exactly how it was) but anyways McCandles did kill a fair amount of game before he got ill, as can be seen from his jounal. He also wrote about going ending his time in Alaska and going back to civilization (or back on the road or whatever), so calling it suicide is not right - at least not willfully.
We should keep in mind that despite his death in the end did survive for months in Alaska, but when cut of in nature it only takes little before everything begins to go wrong.
>>
File: 20160914_162150.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160914_162150.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>985166
Sup OP.

I did this last September. It was the darkest time in my life.

I had a huge falling out with my best friend. We were supposed to go back packing through the BAMF national park together. I had everything ready. My ticket, passport, gear and etc.

This was gonna be the trip of my life. I wanted nothing more than to be in the wild with the girl that I loved.

Unfortunately shit never ever goes the way I pray they do and we got into a huge fight and she told me to go fuck off forever.

So, like you, transferred airline tickets, landed in Anchorage and traveled through the Interior of Alaska by myself.

Especially when it comes to nature and the wild. Animals, especially bears and mooses don't fuck around.

Fuck was it amazing! But holy shit did I learn shit. Almost made it to the magic bus where Chris was at, but the water was to dangerous to trek through.

I'll be more than happy to give you some pointers. But let me ask you this. When do plan to be in there, where do you plan to start, and what's your goal? (Site seeing, being free, suicide and etc)

(I'll dump some pics too.)
>>
>>986580
theres totally an argument that he knew about the cable to cross the river but for whatever reason didnt use it (shoulder injury, stubbornness ect). I made up my mind that the kid wanted to die in the woods rather than get help a long time ago, and I see his story as one of a foolish city kid rather than a romanic tragedy of a true outdoorsman.
>>
If you try to defend yourself with a .22 in bear country, you will die. You're going to need a 30 caliber cartridge at least.
>>
File: 20160913_160412.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_160412.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Still here OP?

Or did everyone scare you off?
>>
File: 1488606822508.jpg (161KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
1488606822508.jpg
161KB, 736x736px
I absolutely understand the desire to go out into the wilderness alone for several months and survive. A lot of /out/ have a similar fantasy.

But why not go through a training period first? There are loads of wild places with small settlements nearby or just one old mountain man. Pay someone to set up camp on their land and practice your survival skills. If you can't get enough food, you'll be a little wiser. If you poison yourself there are people to help. If you are successful you can move a few mile away and see how that goes.

Be smart about it.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.