[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to build an underground shelter? I got sent here from /lit/,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: dizzie-460.jpg (26KB, 460x270px) Image search: [Google]
dizzie-460.jpg
26KB, 460x270px
How to build an underground shelter? I got sent here from /lit/, they said it was a normal"ish" topic here.

I want to dig and build, but I need to learn first, what books/movies should I read.
>>
>>985013
Buy yourself a couple steel shipping containers and bury them. Deck one out with all your furnishings and the other, fill with imitation crab meat. Easy peasy underground shelter.
>>
File: 2cf71-8e1a3-51cc1-ad5dc-5cf64.jpg (96KB, 770x665px) Image search: [Google]
2cf71-8e1a3-51cc1-ad5dc-5cf64.jpg
96KB, 770x665px
>>985020
I don't want to simply bury a shipping container. I want to learn how to support underground structures and so forth, I understand burying a container is the easiest route and what many people do.

Something like pic related.
>>
File: coober_pedy_main.jpg (494KB, 993x632px) Image search: [Google]
coober_pedy_main.jpg
494KB, 993x632px
Bump.
>>
>>985020
Dont do this unless you like collapsed shipping containers op.
>>
>>985104
What is the chance of this collapsing? It's what these look like inside >>985024
>>985090
>>
>>985020
https://np.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/5uo176/underground_party_bunker/ddvsdh6/?st=j14hcmw7&sh=e434d661
>>
File: 2012-01-08-07.26.28.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
2012-01-08-07.26.28.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Bump. Is Coober Pedy the best place in the world?
>>
>>985013
Shipping container method isn't stable unless it's reinforced with concrete and rebar, which naturally makes cinder block construction cheaper and more customizable. >>985024 and >>985090 both look like sandstone cutouts, which can be done with hand tools and moderate comprehension of load dispersion. If it were me, I'd go with the propane tank method if I wanted a quick and personal bomb shelter or just build a conventional underground home someplace rural with concrete-filled sandbags (don't forget the barbed wire for traction) and a slightly thicker than average roof just in case of minor fallout. Any sort of long-term WW3 nuclear catastrophy scenario would require something far more significant, but that'd but up in the several million dollar price range, so I won't go into that.

You came from /lit/? I'm guessing this is for a story; some pretense would help us figure out what the best solution for you would be.
>>
File: cp.jpg (347KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cp.jpg
347KB, 1024x768px
>>985145
>You came from /lit/? I'm guessing this is for a story; some pretense would help us figure out what the best solution for you would be.

I asked them for books about mining and underground supporting. It's not for a book or anything it's just something I have always been interested in since I went to Coober pedy as a child.

i have never really found any reliable information on the subject.

>Any sort of long-term WW3 nuclear catastrophy scenario would require something far more significant, but that'd but up in the several million dollar price range, so I won't go into that.

It's more for personal usage, I have always like the idea of living underground.

What sort of tools are we talking? Coober Pedy houses are carved from the sandstone. There is a lot of sandstone around my local area also.
>>
>>985146
>What sort of tools are we talking?
I saw a video of someone carving a house (I think it was in Utah), and he had a shovel, trowel and a saw I believe. It wouldn't surprise me if he also used a hammer to break out larger chunks, the video seems to be more about how he carved the features than how he moved out the bulk of the material.
>>
>>985150
Yeah seems it's all really trial and error, something I am not really wanting to try. Might stick with my plan and simply buy a dugout in coober pedy. they are pretty cheap.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.