[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All-purpose /out/ clothing - ECWCS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: ecwcs guido.jpg (144KB, 1098x812px) Image search: [Google]
ecwcs guido.jpg
144KB, 1098x812px
Lots of questions about outdoor wear, no-one has mentioned ECWCS, which covers all questions so here it is.

ECWCS = layering system of clothes covering all weather climates that are all packable into your outdoor gear setup which is utilitarian to any array of outdoor activities from combat to hunting and hiking.

Baselayer = Moisture-wick, form-fitted, shirt, socks, underwear, neck gaiters, balaclava, gloveliners that dry easily and fit next to skin.

Midlayer = Fleece or softshell insulated layers for long-johns that are packable and somewhat form-fitting to allow for more layers.

Outerlayer = Water repellant material, loosely fit, packable and lightweight windproof layers such as gore-tex jackets and trousers that are non-insulated.

Subzero layers = You live in a nuclear winter, therefore the forementioned three are not enough and you require an outer-layer that has said properties but is also insulated and worn in conjunction with base and midlayers.

I cannot really say what brands outside of the standard USGI shit and foreign milsurp shit that works, because I am typically a cheap son of a bitch that survives off basically shit-all so here is what sites I browse for ECWCS related shit and also outdoor gear for fellow cheap-asses.

http://www.midwayusa.com/

http://www.keepshooting.com/

https://www.varusteleka.com/en

https://grey-shop.ru/
>>
>>984773
Except for that weird over armor parka thing everything else is just standard hiking gear. You can probably find it all cheaper from normal outdoor sites unless you need to wear camo gear for some weird reason.
>>
>>984998

milsurp shit while sometimes uncomfortable is more durable for the pricepoint than bargain civilian market stuff in the US more often than not imo

the only real cost is your sense of pride in wearing something ugly like flecktarn if you're fashion conscience i guess, personally for me olive drab is the only way to go because olive drab is the best color ever invented and no other color patterns will ever be as great as olive drab
>>
ITT posers

Theres really no way around this
>>
>>985070
>poser

I think the attractions to ECWCS is more that it's sort of modular, complete, orderly. Things that appeal to the inner-autist.
Like, if you bought all the things in that pic then the problem is solved. You don't need any more clothes than this.

If you look at some jacket from a random brand they aren't going to tell you "wear this when x and y" and show you a complete system to go with that.
>>
File: 95105667776292[1].jpg (21KB, 538x343px) Image search: [Google]
95105667776292[1].jpg
21KB, 538x343px
Looking for a hat like pic related.

Lots of sites I've seen recommend a Tilley hat, though nowhere in my town seems to sell them so I can try them beforehand.

Does anyone here have experience with them or could recommend something similar?

Looking for a hat to use for summer field work in southern California Deserts
>>
>>985100

this

trial and error learning when it comes to being prepared in a field environment is shitty and it sucks, so we refer to ECWCS which already lays out the basics for any serious outdoors guy that goes on extended trips in crappy regions with bi-polar weather

i've been to southern maine in the winter, south carolina, virginia, louisiana, texas and california desert territories during their shittiest seasons and i can tell you all the times i was cold and wet and miserable in sandstorms because i cheated on bringing the right shit from my kit on these wonderful adventures of life

when mother nature picks your ass up out of the mud and hands it to you, typically the last thing on your mind is being fashionable or looking autistic because you cannot feel your fucking fingers, face, or toes, or balls

wear the right shit
>>985103

get a boonie hat, buy some tinted goggles, best advice i got

fuck death valley
>>
>>984773
ECWCS is just the military interpretation of a competent outdoors man's set up. I don't need.to buy milsurp in order to have an effective layering system, because as an intelligent individual with outdoor experience I am capable of assessing my needs in relation to local climate.
>>
>>985309
I think it depends on the price point. Here in Canada milsurp isn't really all that cheap so buying civilian makes sense. If I lived in the states though I'd definitely wear cheap milsurp
>>
>>985066
Durability costs you weight. It's not like durability comes with no downside to it.
>>
>>985338

this is also true, alot of shit i've used that's standard retains waterweight and buddies of mine who have done SFSC have packed 75 lb rucks that turned into 98 lb rucks after crossing waist-deep rivers with their packs submerged halfway in

i suppose if you have weak bones then i suggest the lighter alternatives but i digress, you can still apply ECWCS without having to be a cheap fuck like me, and you don't necessarily have to pack all seven layers on every local trip like an autist but if you're doing some cross country tripping then ECWCS is essential
>>
File: PicsArt_03-24-05.19.46.png (389KB, 800x673px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_03-24-05.19.46.png
389KB, 800x673px
The only /out/ clothing you need tbqh
>>
>>985490
What's the shirt?
>>
File: ORC_Level_5_002.jpg (463KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ORC_Level_5_002.jpg
463KB, 1200x1600px
>>984773
I own a pair of the PCU gen 1 level 5 soft shell trousers. The refuse to get wet/let water in.They are absolute god tier.
>>
>>985490

are you a moron?

>no base layer
>no socks
>a baseball cap
>batoning a skinning knife
>osprgay backpack

3/10 bait.
>>
>>985979
I think you're taking this a bit too serious
>>
Everybody has an excuse for why they want to lool like GI Joe. Just man up and say you're a poser.

Anybody with real wilderness or outdoors experience already understands layering and how to apply it to their needs.
>>
>>986243
what's the point of your post, to anonymously show how big of a man you are? nobody gives a shit. contribute or stfu & gtfo seriously.
>>
>>986258
The point is you're retarded if you need a guideline to layering your clothes. You aren't learning anything you just do what it says. Nevermind the reason why.

That and you're a gay poser.
>>
Gonna pick up some of those firehose workpants from Duluth Trading Co. this season. Anyone have a pair? Are they suitable for hiking or do they get really hot?
>>
>>986332
I've worn mine rock climbing. I wouldn't want to be wearing them in scorching hot heat but they're not bad in more normal weather.
>>
>>986337
Any recommendation on what to wear in scorching hot heat?

Working in southern California deserts this summer and need to stay cool
>>
>>986337
Right on. I'm in MN so it never really gets "scorching" hot but it does get real damn humid. I never seem to know what pants to wear when kayaking. Jeans/regularly stitched pants strangle my junk after 30 minutes and shorts are too cold in the morning. The crotch stitch on the firehose pants is a major selling point for me.
>>
>>986243

ECWCS is for all-weather, most people do not travel out of their state even if they are an outdoorsman, however ECWCS covers places that drop below sub-freezing temperatures and if used correctly will minimize the risks of getting illness and frostbite if you're going somewhere that's unfamiliar to you. This is not exclusively military, it's just applied by all militaries across the world because it's simple, minimal, and it works in just about any terrain. You don't have to buy camo shit for your ECWCS setup but in the US, milsurp is cheaper than consumer market products so it makes sense if you're a broke son of a bitch or want to minimize your spending.

>>986332

I don't specifically have duluth pants, but I have pants constructed of canvas/denim from TAD and if they're anything similar, they will generate heat pretty quickly. The upside is they are the most rugged pants I have owned, more rugged than nylon ripstop pants and will save your legs from thorns, metal shavings, even flame embers because they're flame retardant. I'd say anything above 60 fahrenheit is going to be too warm to use canvas pants for hiking, they're more for welding and metal work and carpentry shit.
>>
>>985890

i wanted a pair of these but i dont know how they'll do in dense brush so i was skeptical

can't find them in medium-regular either
>>
>>986343
I personally like Prana Brions, zions if you like cargo pants, in the scorching heat. Very breathable, stretchy and durable. Not gonna be as durable as duluths though.
>>
>>986314
Do you ever wonder if you are just a poser coming at it from the other direction?
You have these strong opinions about it so it's not as if you are just naturally manly and naturally wearing non-milsurp. You're actively avoiding milsurp because you don't want to be a poser.

You're posing as a non-poser, ya feels me?
>>
>>986332
They are very suitable, I think their crotch stitch idea is a bit of a meme since I somehow managed to rip the crotch on some briar bushes while doing forest inventory work. They are incredibly comfortable and have a good amount of pockets.
>>
>>986450
Not really.

When I hunt I wear camo. When I was in the military I wore marpat. When I hike I wear whatever suits my needs. Those needs have yet to be any military gear.

If all somebody has is a pair of camo pants or shirt because it's all they can afford I dont care. I only think it's funny these people spend way more money on military shit when it's pretty much always worse than a civilian counterpart.
>>
>>986540

yeah i don't wear marpat, or flecktarn, they both look like carrots and broccoli got chewed up and shit out by an infant and then some guy took a photo and digitized it and said 'this would make a good uniform camo pattern' and funded it

i don't know about other cheapasses but if i do get milsurp, it's in good tastes and i try to match it with my civilian clothes like jeans and timberlands and bullshit like that, because i like olive drab

m65 jackets, leg gaiters, gore-tex parkas/trousers, wool socks etc. etc. all this shit is cheaper and just as durable as any civilian shit and will save money in your wallet for other things
>>
>>985490
so cringe god damn
>>
>>986361
good luck finding them in med regular, so many people use that size.

>>985890
those are a soft shell, not made for water resistance
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.