[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 61

File: 1491266251536.jpg (91KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1491266251536.jpg
91KB, 600x600px
#143-"Spotted Brackis Bowfin" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>981510

Still looking for good stuff for the Pastebin and Imgur. Maybe we can get a list of Youtube vids and put them in the Pastebin or keep a couple important ones in the OP.

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
>>984355
first
>>
File: skidshandiwork.jpg (142KB, 1284x691px) Image search: [Google]
skidshandiwork.jpg
142KB, 1284x691px
>when you go fishing and find a catfish head that some edgy retard tied to a tree
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>984361

I wouldn't give up yet. Just make sure you don't inadverntently friendzone her yourself.

You probably weren't looking for advice, but that's my 2¢

Anyway fish and stuff
>>
Going to cast a new krocodile lure I picked up in ventura CA tomarrow. I want to catch a few macks for cut bait and crab traps... fucking Jacksmelt...not even jacksmelt eat jacksmelt.
>>
>>984367
A sabiki rig is probably faster for catching mackerel and other bait fish from a pier compared to a kroc lure from a pier

Kroc lure is pretty good in the surf for all species though.
>>
File: IMG_1521.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1521.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>984362
Is that an alligator trap/hook or whatever they call it?
>>
>>984369
If you are catching bait fish. Why not just use a cast net with heavy weights.
>>
File: IMG_3211.jpg (68KB, 600x655px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3211.jpg
68KB, 600x655px
>>984365
Noice fish.

And I was thinkin about giving up on it and gave it that week off but then when I came back around, she seemed to get into it a little more. That was Wednesday I think, then Thurs I stopped by for coffee and she wouldn't let me leave. Fri night we went out, Sat she worked real late but was texting me all night, Sunday she wanted to chill but we both got caught up, and then tonight she came over by me and we went on a little run by the beach and then relaxed. Tomorrow she works late but then Wednesday she gets off early and says she is coming over to the beach by me again.

At first when I was doubting it more it almost seemed like she wanted to meet lots of people before deciding on anybody but now lately I don't feel that at all anymore, especially since all of her free time she is trying to plan stuff with me.

Also fuck 4chan advice because that was all the people being like "make a move the first date or be forever friendzoned!" and that shit won't work with her.

But I still kinda want to start talking to this Cuban girl from another stop that I might have a chance with. She pretty cute but Coffee Girl is better overall (lookin and personality) so it would be fun to fuck Cuban girl and fuck with Coffee Grill's head a little bit but I also don't want to ruin it if I have a chance.

>>984358
I saw somebody post that infograph about why phoneposters are shit and it's like the complete opposite of my longposts with pictures.
>>
>>984369
Going to hit up a pier in the am to catch macks then hit up the beach for whatever bites.I love me some sabiki. I got 30 of em off of Amazon. I find that small pieces of chicken work really well (like a quarter of a dime worth) on each hook of the sabiki. I got turkey necks that I soaked in ground chicken liver/mackerel ( girlfriend loved the smell in the kitchen) for crabs on saturday.
>>
As a noob, what's the absolute least I can spend on fishing equipment and not be called a faggot at the lake?
>>
>>984377
Never seen someone use a cat net off a 20 or 30 foot peir.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>984381
>so it would be fun to fuck Cuban girl and fuck with Coffee Grill's head a little bit but I also don't want to ruin it if I have a chance.

This is high school tier nonsense and it would probably just make her think you're like all those other scumbags. (We know you are, but she doesn't have to) it sounds like it's going good so I'd just keep on keepin on.
>>
>>984394
Go fishing at a lake with no cunts nearby.

But seriously, for shore fishing, there are a lot of good rod and reel combos for $60-$80. Any less than that and it will probably be an decent reel with a trash rod, ok rod with a plastic reel, or both are shitty.
>>
>>984377
Because that's a no no in south commiefornia

>>984382
You can try for the mackerel at night too and use them in early morning because last time I went, they were more active at night compared to day. However, sometimes they are active at day too. If you can get some small live sardine/smelt/or grunion, you can try to keep them alive and use as bait.

Pro tip: grunions and smelts won't hit sabiki, even when they are rigged with cut bait a lot of times because they are vegetarian. If you want to get those, you can throw tiny bread crumbs to get them into a frenzy then throw the sabiki right into their frenzy then you can hook some.
>>
>>984396
Lol yeah if I did bring Cuban girl home, I probably wouldn't tell coffee girl about that. Just let her know that I hung out with another girl and see what she does.

Idk, like I said I'm still kinda keeping my distance emotionally but it would be awesome if shit actually works out because she's way too good for me. Girl is good looking, really nice, has a Master's degree, and she a couple years older and went through all of the childish bullshit a long time ago.

>>984394
Btw there's still the shit in the Pastebin and Imgur. You can't go wrong with the Abu Garcia Cardinal SX/STX combos for like $70/$90, or any Pflueger President combos for $80-$100 provided they come on an ok rod. That Shimano Sellus/Sedona combo might still be around at some Dick's for like $80 or $90 too and that's def respectable and should last as long as you don't break it doing something stupid.

And for tackle, just start with the basics like hooks, weights, bobbers, and live bait. Get a feel for the lakes and see where the fish are. Once you start catching stuff on nightcrawlers, you can try out some lures in the same spots and see what they go for.
>>
>>983945
Hooked a 82cm Carp on 8lb line once, took around 15 minutes to land it.
>>
File: fuck a duck.jpg (66KB, 800x775px) Image search: [Google]
fuck a duck.jpg
66KB, 800x775px
Does anyone have any experience on using pic related? I want to try one out but the ducks feet look flimsy.
>>
>>984407
Best one I have ever gotten was still what I'm assuming was a 40"+ snek. Never had anything fight anywhere near to that hard. Had him on 15lb braid tho and only got a solid 2min of fighting in before he wrapped up around something.

They don't jump like bass, they dig down instead. If I ever hook another one like that, I'm just going to tighten the drag like a mofucka and keep that thing off the bottom as long as I can.

Used to have lots of good carp tugs back in the day on 6lb and 8lb mono but best in recent history that I landed was probably the channel cat on the UL that hit a tiny beetle spin and I had to grab him out of the water by hand because the 4lb mono woulda broken.
>>
>>984399
Yea I'm going to get to the pier around 5am to see how it is. I'm going to buy another crab hoop for Saturday ( saterday is crab day).
>>
File: IMG_6266.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6266.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Finally getting around to posting these fish I caught. This pileperch I got on a small green crab on a sliding rig in the rocks. Went with my dad and he was catching them on gulp sandworms.

>>984412
I saw a Youtube video with those and the feet broke.

>>984399
>Smelt are vegetarian.
That must be mullet you are thinking of because I have caught smelt on sabikis and bobber rigs with shrimp or anchovy, kastmaster spoons with and without bait, and I have seen them caught on the smallest size storm shad as well. Smelt are predatory fish.
>>
File: IMG_6273.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6273.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Here's a little cabezon that I also caught on a green crab. They are really nice looking fish and good eating but I never get legal sized ones in the bay, you need to go to the coast for that. Biggest one I had in the bay was 12", limit is 15".
>>
>>984429
>green crab
Live? If so, how big and how u rig em?
>>
>>
>>984412
I bought one of those duck lures last week. Haven't used it yet but it seems sturdy enough. I'll let y'all know if I ever catch anything on it.
>>
>>984435
Little ones with a shell diameter about one inch. I catch them underneath rocks, then put a size 4 or 6 hook straight through the shell so that the point is fully exposed. Fish them on whatever rig I want, usually sliding. They're great natural bait.
>>
>>984427
>I saw a Youtube video with those and the feet broke
That's the one with the guy who broke his rod and camera right?

>>984447
thanks bae
>>
>>984381
Peps I got banned on my phone but then I'd follow the link to check if banned and it'd say not banned... Now it's been removed and I can post...
Maybe I should lurk more
>>
This megabass 110 is the most responsive jerkbait I've ever tried. It even stops dead in the water when you stop moving it. My x raps always keep moving forward.
>>
File: IMG_4742.jpg (367KB, 1399x1573px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4742.jpg
367KB, 1399x1573px
>>984564
Tell me about it. I thought it was one of the top memes in fishing but I when I tired a few out, holy shit are they good. I think it has to do with those balls on that slope inside the bait that allow it to move the way it does.

I still think it's over priced for what it is but damn do you get a good ass jerkbait and the hooks on the thing are by far the best trebles I've ever fished with. I honestly doubt I'll ever by a rapala again unless I'm in a pinch
>>
>>984561
You got b& or the cell IP got b&? From time to time I get bans from boards I never post on like /v/ or whatever and then half an hour later the cell IP changes and it's good to go.

>>984564
Damn I might need to try a couple.
>>
>>984580
The trebles supposedly snap often with larger fish. I found a YouTube video that experiments with different treble brands and the only ones that don't fuck it up are gamakatsu #6's so I ordered them and put them on today. These should work with snook.
>>
>>984584
Keep in mind that it's a finesse jerkbait so use a lighter setup. Also the lips are delicate so don't use it near structure. Should be perfect for shore fishing for snook since there's zero structure.

>tfw I got mine from the dick's in west palm beach for 20 bucks
>tfw it's 5 dollars off so they probably have it priced wrong or there's a sale I'm not aware of
>>
>>984585
I'm only going to be using it for smallmouth and largemouth so I'm not worried about them breaking. I'll keep those gamakatsu's in mind next time I get some hard baits that have shirtty trebles though
>>
>>984580
Kevin VanCuck uses megabass 110's for tourney's instead of his own jerkbait. kek
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GZRQTnNxN6c
>>
File: IMG_4750.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4750.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Should I drive up north a try fly fishing for trout for the first time today? I saw a few cars parked along the creek last weekend when the season opened so I assume this is the time to get In there and catch them.

This is what it must feel like for people who have never fished before. I wanna go and catch a trout but I don't have a clue how and what to look for and don't want to embarrass myself

Maybe I'll just go to the fly shop and ask some questions
>>
>>984586
I'll look for a sale. Dick's loves to do saled on those meme baits like 2 for $30 if they retail for $20-$25.

>>984586
I could def run em on 15lb braid it sounds like.

So idk if you know Broward at all but anon I went fishing with last week was showing me pics of snook he caught over by Markham park. It has to be like 20mi inland up a canal. Blew my mind.
>>
>>984607
Id fish somewhere remote if you're worried about being embarrassed- additionally you wont be fishing pressured water.

id say if you're not using spinning gear you're already respected a bit out there
>>
>>984611
We'll it's a small shallow creek so I don't see how spinning gear would even be feasible. I doubt there will be many people there. I'm gunna head up to the fly shop now and see what they have to say. I'll report back later
>>
>>984614
good luck man!
>>
Well fuck.

Got to the fly shop and talked to the nerdy ass owner who explained that the run off is stupid high making almost everywhere unfishable. He did give me a some really good advice and locations that I would've never had known of. I had him pick a few flys out for me and sent me on my way. A little disappointing but atleast it wasn't a total loss
>>
>>984628
>>984628
In cali the snowmelt is going to last for months meaning at least half the summer will be shit conditions. The streams are running high and pumping sediment into all the lakes which makes it beyond muddy - 1inch visibility
>>
>>984628
A lot of water in streams is bad? I always thought trout preferred a lot of water.

Just aim for places where the water breaks and calms down right?
>>
File: Carpp.jpg (81KB, 661x714px) Image search: [Google]
Carpp.jpg
81KB, 661x714px
>>984413
Sad to think that the 82cm Carp was the most exciting fish I have ever landed fight wise, had to ease off the drag so much because of nearby snags and light ass line but damn it was fun, got him a few times within a metre from the shore, friend with a landing net at the ready only for it to shit itself and peel off another 50 metres of line. Snags to the left and right of where I was and that fucker kept heading for them, was a miracle I landed it. If you ever get bored of fishing your local area try using an extremely lightweight setup, all those fish you skulldrag in on your expensive shit with 30lb braid suddenly become a force to reckon with.
>>
>>984639
>>984634
I assume he is dealing with sediment reducing visibility
>>
File: redfin.jpg (167KB, 890x454px) Image search: [Google]
redfin.jpg
167KB, 890x454px
>>984607
Could be worse
>friend calls me up on a Friday afternoon
>dude they have this Trout Farm up in the Adelaide Hills where you can catch whatever you want to pay for
>never caught or seen Trout in the wild before so keen
>we get there to find not only did the farm go out of business years before, but friend didn't even to bother to ring beforehand to find out
>the website is still up to this day for some reason though
>we end up sneaking through fences and fishing the water resevoirs for Redfin
>jack shit for 2 days
>on the way home stop at a small creek near Jacobs Creek Winery
>friend catches the biggest Redfin I've ever seen, holy fuck they aren't supposed to get this big

I just wish Australian fishing websites were more informative, there's hundreds of crystal clear streams near Adelaide but absolutely fuck all info about fishing them.
>>
File: IMG_4753.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4753.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>984634
>>984639
>>984658
Both sediment from snow runoff and really really high water flow making it so you can't wade in. The sides of the creek are too thic to fish from as well.

I went up north a little more after talking to the guy at the fly shop and went to the main river where the salmon and steelhead swim and holy fuck was it nice out there. Water was moving fast but there were a few pools I could see that wernt that bad. Really wish I had an 8 weight rod right about now.

That guy at the shop told me about a few clubs I could join that will help me find good spots and patterns that the fish seems to be keying in on at certain times so that should be good. He also educated me on portions of the main river that are sitrictly fly fishing only and said that hardly anyone fishes them and that I could easily catch 5-10 ~12" stocked trout from the pools all spring- summer long so once this water stops being gay I should be able to hook up into my first ever trout

Pic related is the river. I took a walk along the bank before I headed home
>>
>>984662
Too much info and there's no lesser-known spots.

I'd argue its more fun to go for your own discoveries
>>
>>984584
Not sure. It simply said I couldnt post as if I had the captcha wrong but instead it said "Banned: in the red box
>>
>>984668
If I lived near there then sure but it's a 2 hour drive from here.
>>
>>984655
All depends on what you're targeting. Catching a 10lb fish on tackle meant for 3lb fish will probably be more fun than a 20lb fish when you are going for 100lb catches.

>>984669
If you click the "Banned" in the red box, it will tell you exactly what post caused it and when it expires so it's real easy to tell when it was just the cell IP from some other fag. Mine are always from somebody spamming on /VG/
>>
File: IMG_0047.jpg (2MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0047.jpg
2MB, 2016x1512px
Went out to fish for 2 hrs before work

Got this thing on my $20 memelure. I never catch anything like this before. Apparently it's a needle fish. They don't get catched a lot around here on the surf. It was a pain to unhook because it wiggle constantly while being on shore and wrap the line around it's beak. The hook actually pop off from all of the wiggling but the line remains wrapped in its beak in between the mouth. It also has sharp teeth and flay my line, forcing me to re tie.

Reading up the wiki, apparently these guys are a real menace. They had attacked, injured, and killed people before. Apparently, they breed by the male riding the female on the surf so I probably just cucked this guy/girl out of gettin laid ( I saw another needlefish pop out of the water as I reel this one in).

Also got a 17 inches or so halibut a bit later on the same lure.
>>
>>984695
I clicked and it said I wasn't banned... then I'd try to post and it would say I was... and so the cycle went on until I gave up... but now I can post. Oh well.
>>
File: IMG_6414.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6414.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>984486
Yeah that's the one.

>>984634
I'm lucky there is a lake near me that doesn't get a lot of runnoff. It's warm and clear already. Caught this bass on a jig spinner there on saturday.
>>
>>984696
I thought it was bullshit that needlefish could kill people but I googled it and apparently it happens. A guy got stabbed in the abdomen by one and survived, another time a kid got speared in the head and died. The more you know.
>>
Any of you guys use little grubs for panfish? I always either use tubes or little plastic minnows or shiners.
>>
>>984696
What lure is that?
>>
>>984713
It's the lucky craft flashminnow. It's basically the best shit to throw om the surf with light tackle (relatively for surf fishing) if the water condition isn't too rough for it
>>
>>984711
I'm a big fan of curly tail grubs. White PowerBait or Gulp grubs will almost always land something. Even the little larger white PowerBait grubs, but them on a 1/8oz or 1/4oz jighead or underspin and land some largemouth.
>>
>>984711
The yum 2" grub in Carolina pumpkin is the best grub I've ever used. I've caught Trout, bass, sunfish, rockfish, you name it. Too bad I never see them in stores.
>>
File: IMG_0159.jpg (101KB, 560x396px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0159.jpg
101KB, 560x396px
>>984736
>>984711
I'm really starting to like the Gulp curly tail minnows and mullet too. Might actually prefer them over grubs. Not sure how small they go, I believe I have a few bags of 2" and those are great for large bluegill or any other panfish. Even got a good size snek on one of those with an underspin. Then the 4"+ ones are great for bass or anything else. I even use them as trailers on spinnerbaits, jigs, or chatterbaits.
>>
>>984711
I prefer tubes. Grubs without the tails are actually good too, just snip them off.

They'll grab the lure less from the tail and get hooked more often
>>
>>984760
another good thing about tubes is that you hide/cover the lead of the jig. Some crazy fella ive met twice fishing locally said the fish actually feel for the hard lead in their mouth, and with the soft plastic around it they prefer to hold onto it longer.
Anyone know how sensitive the fish's mouth is?

Also on topic of grubs are trout magnets.
>>
>>984760
Depends what you are going for. The curly tails add a ton of action but if you're using a 3" grub for 5" bluegill, of course they will grab the tail. Go down to a 1/32oz jighead and a 1.5" grub and they will suck down the whole thing every time.

>>984764
This is also somewhat true. You can tell the difference if you try and fish a 4" Rapala versus a 4" Gulp minnow. If the fish hits the Rapala and doesn't get hooked, it will spit the thing out. If the same thing happens with the soft and scented Gulp, there is a good chance the fish will take another shot at it.
>>
>>984768
last time i hit some sunnies they picked at my lures a lot, even on 1/32s and small grubs
Still got a lot but not as many commitments
I tried to fish the tail-less one and the first hit i got was a hook set.
After that i went to my pink crappie tube which annihilates everything that swims.
>>
>>984355
Anybody have experience with Bean's packable waders? I want to do some trout fishing innamountains whenever spring gets here in the White Mountains, and these seem like the logical choice.
>>
File: IMG_9339.png (1MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9339.png
1MB, 1136x640px
>>984355
Just caught some nice trout in New Jersey, I live on the western end near PA, season starts April 8th over here but some preseason catch & release ain't too bad
>>
>>984818
Id critique your CnR practice but respect to a jerseybro
Im middlesex so it's a drive from any good trout stream unlike your area- yet fortunately just like 15 miles so cant complain too much.
Ive been looking for good wild trout streams on maps to try out, a lot of them are on private land but there's still a few ive found. Suggest any?
>>
File: IMG_4757.jpg (555KB, 1242x1547px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4757.jpg
555KB, 1242x1547px
I found a cute girl on the internet who's life revolves around fishing. She works as a fishing guide

Do I win a prize or something?
>>
Asking here since there isn't a kayak thread.

I've been wanting to hit the river on my kayak but the rain has left it muddy.

I've never been on a lake in a kayak to fish.

Is it worth trying? Or is it best to stick to a river?
>>
>>984855
Only if you post her nudes
>>
>>984856
People literally fish the ocean in a kayak. I think you can handle a lake bud. Water is water. Don't be a tard and go out in 40mph winds.
>>
File: IMG_4758.jpg (300KB, 1242x1216px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4758.jpg
300KB, 1242x1216px
>>984859
No, that's lewd

Fishing qt's are pure
>>
>>984855
>prize
She will probably make it into an OP pic one day.
>>
>>984864
>cute
she looks like she's part Italian part Mudslime
>>
I picked up a magazine on lake Ontario tributaries and I somehow just learned that at that river I took that picture of earlier has produced the biggest Chinook salmon in the Great Lakes region and the biggest Coho salmon in the world.

Anyone wanna loan me $900 for a 8wt fly rod so I can go catch those big beautiful bastards?
>>
>>984883
I'm reading a book and learned Atlantic salmon don't eat when in freshwater for spawning; they say the fish hit flies but don't eat them- out if annoyance or just for the flies' juices and spit the rest out. Naturally, since they don't die and fertilize the river for their offspring like Pacifics, they try not to eat and ruin the rivers food sources.
>>
>>984887
Im pretty sure the same can be said for most salmon. I know steel head are different but I think the rest spawn around the same time in the fall. They come in at the end of their lives and just go straight to the back of the river to die. Its true that they wont eat. Their only focus is laying/fertilizing eggs in the shallow pools upriver. They will though hit an egg sack or an egg sack imitation because salmon are territorial despite being in a river filled with thousands of other salmon and will eat random eggs that arnt theirs for obvious reasons.
>>
>>984856
Definitely worth yak fishing on a lake. You can hit different spots and hit spots better than you can from shore.
>>
Have any of y'all ever tried Joe's flies? I've been using them a lot recently and I get decent size panfish and even dink lmb on the short strikers. Extra trebles get a lot of those short strikes and I've really grown to love the lures.
>>
File: 1486861181270.png (298KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1486861181270.png
298KB, 480x360px
>getting new reel
>don't wanna sell my old one
>but I need the extra cash

Life is suffering
>>
>that underfilled spool
>REEEE
And damn, Cabela's tryin to pull a Johnny Morris and get into that higher end market with store brand stuff. Not sure how I feel about that.

I still do like the look of that BPS JM Titanium memecaster combo, but I think that was on sale for closer to $200 before Xmas and I would feel much more comfortable dropping that on a store brand setup but not so much at $350+.

>>984912
Just keep it. How much would you even get for it unless it's some Shimano Stella? And even then, if you just upgraded to something better I would assume you have the funds so you wouldn't have to sell the old one.
>>
File: IMG_3301.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3301.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Forgot pic ofc.

Memecaster is just above in pic, $150 for the rod and $180 for the reel.
>>
>>984919
Depending how the bevel is it might actually be pretty close to full. My Sedona looks like it's under filled but it's almost too much.

But those green rods in that pic look really nice. I've thought about picking one up, but I already have so many setups lol.
>>
dude who couldnt catch a trout yesterday, back again. caught my limit today in 3 hours(+1 that flopped off the bank). thanks bros.
>>
>>984922
I know what you mean about the Shimanos, I have made that mistake a few times and always warn people about it. But that reel in the pic is def underfilled with braid.

>>984923
Yeeee boiiii
>>
>start looking up literature on steel head
>find a highly rated book
>$120
>a book about trout
>$120
>$65 used

Seriously, what the fuck, that's more than ive paid for some cheap college textbooks
>>
File: 25-jeb-bush.w529.h529.jpg (55KB, 529x529px) Image search: [Google]
25-jeb-bush.w529.h529.jpg
55KB, 529x529px
I brought my fiancée to the pier because I wanted to propose to her with a ring in a fishes mouth, but all I caught were sardines and she spent the whole time admiring a top less strong Italian dark haired man with bulging muscles who fought and landed a big barracuda.

It's been 3 days and I still catch her whispering Italian...
>>
File: jeb1.jpg (44KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
jeb1.jpg
44KB, 640x426px
>>984942
>>
>>984906
thanks
>>
>>984823
Yeah India brook and mill brook is pretty good, but you gotta use flys cause the fish get spooked real easy.. idk how to fly fish but if you do it should produce good fish
>>
>>984864
That's 100% a tranny
>>
>>984961
And your point is?

I used to hate them too but Miami anon is ok so I really don't mind trannies anymore.
>>
>>984940
> college book textbook

They are always around that price or even higher.

They also comes with DRM in form of mandatory online homework program code.
>>
>>984985
trust me I know. I had three classes this semester that were $100 a piece just for the access code to do the homework. That doesn't even include the textbook
>>
File: 1477972724730.png (574KB, 605x558px) Image search: [Google]
1477972724730.png
574KB, 605x558px
>>984988
>tfw you buy the 300 dollar textbook but then you lose the little piece of cardboard on it so you have to go back and pay another 130 bucks for the access code
>the actual class was 550 for the semester
>>
>>984906
I currently got a cheaper kayak from walmart.

any recommendation for a good kayak? Preferably under 400?
>>
>>985000

Get an inflatable, it'll be slower but you're not after speed any way and it'll open up a lot of places without having to deal with towing a giant plastic taco around. I've heard good things about the Sevylor Colorado but there's people making do with a $100 Intex K2 on YouTube.
>>
>>985012
Don't those puncture pretty easily?
>>
File: mm2.png (20KB, 276x191px) Image search: [Google]
mm2.png
20KB, 276x191px
>>984355
Could I catch trout with Mighty Mights? They look exactly like mouse tails, which completely murder them, but I'm worried the hook shank is too long.
>>
>>984940
Ever been to a library? Books there are free.
>>
>>984919
peps pls buy me powr pro, its at sale on dicks and i just got new rods and need line
>>
>>984959
I've been to India brook two months ago and only saw a bit of fish life there; one top water splash at an end of a wide pool. Probably hitting stoneflies.

I should have moved to a less off trail area
I'll need to learn how to fly fish, but trout magnets are a good option though right?
>>
>>985000
I've got a couple kayaks that are like the cheap tier DICK'S sells and they're holding up just fine after 2 years of use. One person can carry a single kayak, they aren't too heavy. Inflatable is alright so long as there's no chance of you hitting something in the water that will pop it. There's also the strong chance you wack a crankbait off your boat and sink yourself.
Id definitely go to DICK'S and get one of their single person kayaks.
>>
>>985034
Idk about those but keep it small, not just the hooks but the whole profile.

If it works for sunnies it can catch trout
>>
>>985051
And the cheaper dicks ones will be better than the cheaper Walmart ones. Build some self confidence and research the materials they're made out of. The ones I've got from dicks are two different layers of plastic which reduces weight and adds buoyancy.
>>
>>985054
Thank you, I've been checking the ones out on Dicks now.

But the shipping is like a 100 dollars wtf. I will have to see if I can find a store nearby
>>
>>985058
Highly recommend going to the store to see the kayak itself and handle it. I haven't done this myself but apparently many places let you try the kayak out... Might have to have water real close by though, but might be worth a shot.
Anyway, try going in store to take a look at the kayaks if you can, you'll have a better idea of what you want. Also keep an eye out for small features like pole mounts or paddle locks.
>>
>>985061
I'm going on and on at this point but you can also buy a little pair of wheels to strap on the back of the yak to wheel it to and from shore etc (if you're worried about weight) but beware you'll have to deal with it when you're actually on the water.
>>
>>985061
>>985062
Ok thank you, I'll do that.

I guess the walmart kayak will do for now until I can get to a nearby dicks store
>>
whats the difference between a minnow and a jerkbait
>>
>>984940
Try to find PDF or what >>985044 said. You would be surprised how much stuff gets scanned. I found a book online detailing all the lakes in my area, how to fish them with stories and cool local legends about each one from like the 1950s. Cool stuff.
>>
>>984940

Give the title, I'm good at finding these things if they exist.
>>
File: twg5.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
twg5.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
what the fuck do you do with these things?
>>
>>985087
find me an all inclusive pdf/place to identify all fish species i the northeast including minnow species
>>
File: EUGENIA_KUZMINA_02.jpg (102KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
EUGENIA_KUZMINA_02.jpg
102KB, 600x338px
>>985111

>title
>>
>>985114
i cant find one
or i would have it
help ple
>>
>>985107
Jig them on a drop shot or under a popping cork
>>
6 bass caught today in the evening using 3" senko in watermelon magic color on a 1/16th oz slider head

none were remarkably sized

water was clear and calm
>>
File: yum_yrbt703_3pack.jpg (93KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
yum_yrbt703_3pack.jpg
93KB, 1600x1600px
yum worms in tequila sunrise color are the bomb nigga
>>
>>985128

that looks nothing like a god damn tequila sunrise
>>
>>985073
A minnow is a real fish and a jerkbait is a fake fish
>>
I ride a motorcycle, and want to go pier fishing tomorrow. My pole is a 2 piece, I have everything ready to go, but what should I do once I catch a fish?

Takes me ~15m to get home, and I would being an icepack + a few plastic bags to keep the fish in. I've never actually caught a fish, but I assume you reel them in, use pliers to remove hook, toss into bag in backpack, disassemble rod, and ride home?

advice?
>>
>>985128
best colors are:

zoom california 420
gary yamamoto watermelon magic
plain black
reaction innovations big texan
>>
>>985171
>not Chartruese Pepper
>not Junebug
>not Zoom Sprayed Grass
smdh

>>985058
Ship to store maybe?
>>
>>985034
Those things are GOAT. I'm sure you can. Have you seen them IRL? They are pretty damn small, maybe like just over 1" length overall.
>>
>>985107
Drop Shot or Carolina Rig them on like a size 10 or smaller hook. Jig them occasionally if you want, but the current gives them plenty of action.
>>
>>985111
Peterson field guides. Was the first book I picked up in my Library that was fishing related.

Had a ton of different minnows and darters in there
>>
>>985157
Cut its head off and gut it at the pier the. Just throw it in a large ziplock bag with an ice pack. 15 minutes is fine to be left out even without ice assuming it's alive right before you leave.

If it's too big just cut it in half to fit in the bag.
>>
File: image.jpg (470KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
470KB, 720x1280px
>>985128
Yums tequila sunrise is garbage. Zoom4lyfe.
>>
>>985252
I will say I have a bias for zoom plastics in general but yum is decent for the money especially when it's on sale for like a dollar a fucking bag. It's just super plasticky or whatever. Not a lot of scent. Zoom is the same way sort of.

It's nice when the fish are cranking any old worm or stick bait and you don't want to loose a bunch of pricey soft plastics. I'm not going to toss expensive lake fork lures if they are hitting zoom and yum stuff.
>>
>>985246
This. Cool the fish off as fast as you can. Bleed it out and then gut it. Ice would be ideal but idk how long it's going stay frozen in a backpack if it's in the 80s.
>>
>>985256
I like Zoom because they work, they're inexpensive, and they have a huge variety. Can't stand Yum because niggers leave empty packages of Yum all over a bunch of the lakes I fish at and I don't want to be grouped with them.

When the fish are a bit more picky, there is some good Culprit and Strike King stuff but they do cost like twice as much as Zoom baits.
>>
this is probably a unanswerable question but theres a small pond near my house thats stocked with trout, opening day was saturday, must have been 200 people there. might there still be trout in it or are they likely fished out by now
>>
>>985357
Depends. Sometimes opening day the fish don't hit as much as they are acclimating to the water. Other times it's gang busters.
>>
File: IMG_20170405_130417.jpg (2MB, 3154x1996px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170405_130417.jpg
2MB, 3154x1996px
Just got skunked again at a local pond. No crappie action nor bass.

Tossed a Texas rigged worm, spinner, and jigged the two gazebos.
This shit is hard. I thought bass were easy.
>>
>>985366
Also found a whopper plopper and fished it top water for a while- half the time it didn't seem like it worked correctly, I think it was broken and hence why I found it on a bench.
>>
File: 20170405_104613.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170405_104613.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
First time fishing and caught a Pike today. God damn the adrenaline and satisfaction is unreal.
>>
>>985393
Good shit man, how you get him?
>>
For all salt surf fishing fags, especially socal

If you see a herd of birds, including pelicans, diving near the shore, would you cast right in middle of the birds or more on the edge. Whenever i see bird diving, I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if the birds are freaking out the other fishes as well especially big ones like pelicans, or the other fishes don't care since they are focus on the bait fishes. I don't want to snag a bird by accident either
>>
>>985395

GX2 with a jig, I feel retarded since I bought a bunch of Len Thompson spoons and the only thing that was getting their attention was a jig kit I found on clearance from Walmart.
>>
>>985406
I feel like that kinda sums up fishing in general.

>spending all night managing your jigs and filling your spools and colour-coordinating your spoons with your astronomical horoscope and then your friend with a 6lb mono spincaster lands a blue whale
>>
>>985418
>try to atch baits to water quality and fronts temps etc
>nothing
>throw on a white paddletail fluke or similar
>fish no matter what
>>
>>984918
Cabela's store-brand reel is a re-branded Diawa Tatula. Fantastic reel, but if the Cabela's one costs more than a regular Tatula then you're getting ripped off. Bass Pro does the same thing, their Johnny Morris reels are re-branded Lew's (I think).
Bass Pro owns Cabela's now anyways, if that tells you anything.
>>
>>984394
You can get a great set for 60 bucks not including lures.
>>
>>985367
Those things are amazing and around $15 a pop.
If you found it on a bench it is definitely broken.
>>
>>985420
>>985418
>>985406
I have the opposite problem

> try alternative cheaper lures that potentially fit the condition better
> no bite

> throw $20 lucky craft flashminnow
> catches all kind of shit, even species that have majority crustean diet and doesn't even eat much baitfish or hit minnow lure often
>>
>>985457
any time i throw an expensive lure i snag it
>got a brand new swimbait
>only $10 but from a small company
>killer action with a fast retrriece
>catch one fish
> get it snagged on underwater log
> pull and wiggle for 15 min and i get it free
> a few casts later wind catches it and it gets hung up in a tree
> go climb said tree and smack it down with a stick
>>
>>985429
Dude who works at Bass Pro claimed the baitcasters are made by Abu. I wouldn't say they are just rebranded, but all of that store brand stuff is definitely made in the same factories as other brands so they will use the same parts and similar designs but they don't just change the name tag.

>>985450
Or line or hooks or weights...

But yeah that $60-$70 mark is right about where you can get a spinning setup that doesn't feel like "babby's first cast n catch".

>>985463
That sucks. I always seem to lose my favorite lures, but that's only because I use them a lot. That's also why I own about a dozen Mepps with the natural brown skirt and gold/silver blades in sizes #2-#4.
>>
>>985473
yeah, the swimbait is pretty nice actually
caught me a few fish 2 days ago,
i desperatley need to get line
just got 2 new rods and have 2 new reels coming in the mail tomorrow
guess im going to buy some cheap mono since i have no money left
>>
>>985473
Ok, Abu makes them. I wasn't certain, thanks for clarifying. Like actual Abu's the higher end stuff is pretty good.
>>
>>985476
Idk if it's Abu for sure, there are tons of theories and Bass Pro never actually says. Guy who worked there wasn't telling me what Bass Pro told him, but rather what he heard from people and selling the reels all day himself. But I wouldn't be suprised at all to learn that Pure Fishing manufactures the reels.

>tfw I should've gotten that dudes number
Seems a little gay but one of those things where we were like best friends talking. He was down at the Bass Pro in Miami too, so not even the Dania one closer to me. But he was showing me pics and telling me about all these canals down in the south end of Dade like Florida City.

>>985475
Were you the one who said Dick's had it on sale? Just run mono and swap it out in the future so you can at least use the things.
>>
>>985512
idk but dicks does have
300 yard spools for $20 but i have no cash rn
>>
>>985366
whats the temperature been? i find bass dont really hit much unless its been upper 60's at least for a while.
>>
>>984412
that's a meme lure if i ever saw one
>>
>>984818
why release them when they will inevitably die like pic related?
>>
>>985561
Oh it is. Don't worry.
>>
>>985561
>>985578
Those are the Savage ones, right? Isn't that all they produce? Meme lures?
>>
>>985557
Air temp finally hit 60F today but countless utubers in my state have been taking bass.
>>
Went to stream that flows into a reservoir near me.
Last year, before I even got into fishing, i noticed tons of fish- they'd be in every deep hole. Mostly white suckers and sunfish.
Today though ive only see like 4 lil fingerlings in those pools altogether.
Can anyone explain?
>>
>>985585
they have some salt lures i like
>>
>>985585
I have a difficult relationship with savage gear. Their freestyler, hard shrimp, and soft baits are decebt. The soft plastic mayfly is cool too. But yeah.....good looking lures but a lot are meme tier. At least they aren't chink tier orange country prices like megabass. Everything is like 10 to 18 bucks or less.
>>
>>985595
Megabass lures work really well though unlike shitty meme ducks
>>
>>985597
Yeah but some of their stuff is meme tier and the prices are retarded. They need to be 5 to 10 dollars less.
>>
>>985591
Weather, time of day, season, etc. I'll walk around a pond at 12 PM and see nothing but come back 5 hours laterat sunset and the fish are everywhere.
>>
>>985617
So it's likely that it's just not the season for them to be concentrating in the stream? Probably all moved into the reservoir for winter, and it's finally warming up so not much going on yet.
>>
>>985623
yea just researched when they spawn and white suckers start moving upstream at 50F water temps. Sunfish actually high at around 70F. I dont record the temps but surely it's a bit too early.
Good news is that i can just focus on trout in the other stream soon.
>>
>>984823

Not him but how likely will the fish be dead?
>>
>>985623
Yeah they're probably waiting for slightly warmer temps
>>
>>985645
It's weird how a fish that often jumps out of water to go upstream hasnt adapted well to taking a bit of land if it was a bad jump.
Im currently reading up on some of that right now.
www.tu.org/sites/default/files/Handling_Stress_Summary.pdf
this is neat

>>985654
I wonder if those lil minnows I saw were recent hatchings though.
They looked like sunfish although i couldnt get a great glimpse.
Half a month ago ive seen tons of baitfish like them in other, bigger, rivers
>>
>>985660
>www.tu.org/sites/default/files/Handling_Stress_Summary.pdf
>maximal
oppinion disregarded
>>
>>985668
whats wrong?
>>
>>985513
cabelas also has a deal on powerpro starting tommorow i think
>>
>>985366
try a jerkbait or mojo rig
>>
>>985682
FUCK the second i have money nothing will be on sale anymore
>>
stupid question but hard to look up online
while headwaters of a stream hold and produce wild trout, do these trout ever move downstream, into non-wild-trout rivers?
when this happens do the fish return back to the healthier waters?
>>
File: yamasenko.jpg (25KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
yamasenko.jpg
25KB, 470x470px
>>984711
I use jig spinners as my search-bait once the weather has warmed up a bit. Mr Crappie soft plastics are great with smaller blades for crappie and sunfish species. I think the bulk of all their plastics are 2" and come in some really nice colors and shapes (including curly, single-tailed grubs).

If I know I'm getting into a bigger bite I usually upgrade to #3 or #4 colorado blade and either a 4" or 5" Yamamoto grub. I've got some chunky sunfish and crappie that way along with nice largemouth, snakehead, white and yellow perch, and so on. As a search-bait (if I'm not targeting sunfish) I usually switch over to full size spinnerbaits, crankbaits, etc in the same color once I've established what's working.

>>984760
There has been a couple outings where I've gotten into Crappie-On-Every-Cast schools but many are were so small they couldn't get the hook past the tail. Switched to Mr Crappie "Lightning Shad" plastics and didn't miss a one. They're really small, tapered-out plastics that do the trick when even the tiny grubs are too big.

>>985128
>>985171
Very first time I caught something on a senko it was Watermelon w/ Copper, Orange w/ Red so I'm a bit partial to them.

>>985237
I've got my Peterson Guide to N. American Birds in front of me right now. Easily one of my favorites. I probably should look into their guides for fish.

>>985285
>Culprit
Best. Worms. Ever.

Or maybe nostalgia goggles. Culprit has been around a long time. Same for Roboworm and Mann's. I still keep Mann's Auger-Tail worms on me at all times just because I used to watch Jimmy Houston haul bass with'em and he was one of my favorite anglers to watch.

>>985429
>>985473
>>985476
I've heard the same about BPS. Comes off the same line as Pure Fishing Products (Abu, Penn, Mitchell, etc). I fish a lot of Abu but haven't bought any BPS yet. Might get one of their baitcasters just to take apart and see.

>>985561
>I've never seen a duckling disappear in a splash while momma duck goes apeshit
>>
File: dc_cormorant.jpg (53KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
dc_cormorant.jpg
53KB, 750x563px
What do you think of cormorants? I heard they're putting a hurting on the trout stocking in my area.

They're most likely out of control because of the stockings.
A lot of people are for some management on them, i guess hunting right.

https://youtu.be/f8L9oPFzCIM?t=1m44s
Something satisfying about this
>>
>>985704
Jimmy Houston 100% had fish in the live well that he hooked and tossed in the water and would "set" the hook on. Bill Dance did it occasionally but he mostly fished private stocked bass lakes and shilled as hard as he could.
>>
>>985708
Arizonas eagle and hawk population is artificially inflated from the trout stockings. It's retarded. We basically feed birds.
>>
>>985708
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnqaBdZhdmA
>>
>>985709
I think the unfortunate thing of professional fishing versus many traditional sports is that it's a job requirement to shill. Unless you're unsponsored and well-off enough to fund yourself anyway. I still like Dance, Martin and Houston. They were all good personalities to get other interested in the sport.
>>
>>98540 cast to the center. I have tangled up with birds all the time. Ventura fag here.
>>
>>985141
I meant the jerkbaits that are sold labelled as minnows
>>
>>985366
I hate getting skunked so much that I fish almost exclusively while trespassing on private property.
>>
>>985726
half of the wild trout streams here are on private property, hence why im asking this btw >>985699

Does fishing actually improve drastically if you just move to a spot not fished? And that's kind of hard to do in ponds, maybe in some secluded/remote parts of a river but dont the fish move around a lot?
>>
>>985725
possibly different retrieve method? More steady than jerk-pause-jerk
>>
>>985729
I think in rivers it has more to do with time/date/water temps/currents/boat traffic/luck than simple fishing pressure. Basically there's a lot more variables. Maybe in channels fishermen could have an effect but probably not in the main river. Maybe try finding some sort of warm water discharge and fishing there.

The spots I sneak into are filled in rock quarries which are heaven for crappie, largemouth and smallmouth. We call fishing these spots 'cheating' where I'm from.
>>
File: glass_minnow.png (96KB, 577x166px) Image search: [Google]
glass_minnow.png
96KB, 577x166px
>>985725
Soft Plastic, Hard Plastic? LIVETARGET Glass Minnow? Post a picture?

There are soft plastic jerkbaits which work similar to hard plastic. I don't think I've ever seen any sold as "minnows" but often as "flukes" (like the Zoom Super Fluke). Soft plastic jerkbaits tend to have flat tails with minimal drag. Maybe a V-notch or the sort but nothing as resistant as a paddle-tail which would hinder the action of a jerking technique. The goal is basically to mimic an injured/dying fish.

Here's a vid of somebody fishing a soft plastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11z45sm1riQ

Weightless, wide-gap/swimbait hook, weedless rigging. They're using a "slack-line" technique where you allow the line a bit of slack between pops and movements which allows the bait to continue moving freely to do things like the 180 degree turns seen in the vid.

Hard plastic jerkbaits are fished the same (short bursts of retrieve or pops, followed by lulls letting the lure settle/sink) and achieve the same but the inclusion of weighting and different size bills on the front allow them to run at different depths and also flicker/wobble during a steady retrieve. Whereas something like the soft jerkbait tends to steady-retrieve in a fairly straight line with minimal movement.
>>
>>985726
Hope you get shot.
>>
File: 20170405_213447-1.jpg (306KB, 1427x1685px) Image search: [Google]
20170405_213447-1.jpg
306KB, 1427x1685px
The shaky tube.

Thoughts?
>>
>>985738
If that little tail floats up a bit, should work. Looks enough like a crawdad in the defensive pose with its claws and antennae up in the air.

And damn, fuckin coffee grill was looking so good tonight. I really need to start pushin for her to spend the night without fucking it up. I should've snapped a creepshot for you fags.
>>
>>985740
thnx for offering an upskirt pic of coffee grill pepsi ur a good guy
>>
>>985748
No skirt, sorry mang. We went for a little run along the beach so workout clothes but the top she had on her tits were hangin out and seriously 9.5/10 body.
>>
>>985752
>Hey Michael, do you ever fish the ocean?
>>
Also wanted to add I wish these points started Friday instead of Sat, I had like 35k steps on Friday. Then Sat & Sun I didn't get shit but this is from 3 work days. I can easily hit the 150pts but I want to make it to 370k steps and get a bunch of points.

Was lookin at that app too and I had a $10 reward that expired in Feb and I never knew I had it. Lame. I don't think they mail the vouchers anymore. If they do, I throw them away before I see them.
>>
File: IMG_3317.png (246KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3317.png
246KB, 640x1136px
>>985755
Fergot pic

>>985754
Tried a handful of times but I don't enjoy soaking bait and staring at a line for 4hrs without catching anything worthwhile.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>985759
Dude you need to get a yak and fish canals at night. If there's the underwater lights you can see the fish swim over them and you just cast right past the light and reel it in.
>>
>>985759
I know your opinion, just pretending that girl ask you why herself lol.
I guess you don't mention the minority thing lol
>>
File: beans.jpg (47KB, 640x621px) Image search: [Google]
beans.jpg
47KB, 640x621px
>>985737
You too.
>>
>>985752
pics
>>
>>985111
Go look for it on roughfish dot com, if you can't ID it based on the pictures they have, someone will probably be able to tell you.
>>
File: IMG_3201.jpg (61KB, 640x605px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3201.jpg
61KB, 640x605px
>>985766
Oh yeah, fuck fishing near minorities. Gotta be slightly less racist with Latina girl around. Hispanics normally hate black people more than white people do, so maybe we could bond over that.

And I already mentioned, I don't really want to bring her fishing just in case this turns into a long term thing. I need an excuse to get away for some "me time".

>>985768
Idk I need to snap a good one. Took one Monday when we were running by the beach but it was dark and didn't turn out too great.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170405-232645~2.png (115KB, 1440x1842px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170405-232645~2.png
115KB, 1440x1842px
>>985759
Looks like I'm beating you
>>
>>985770
thanks , im getting into microfishing, ideally i would have found somthing located specifically for y state, or ateast my general area
>>
>>985585
I have a little minnow crankbait in trout color from them, it's the Savage prey I think. Haven't had a chance to use it a lot but it looks good.
>>
>>985775
Also the USGS Nonnative Aquatic Species page has some really detailed range maps for a lot of species which could help narrow down an identification.
>>
>>985774
Isn't a mile something like 2000 steps? We bretty close. But out of the 5 days so far, I didn't do shit on Sat and Sun and that fucked me up. If Friday was on there, that was close to 15mi in one day.

>>985778
I saw something else from Savage at Dick's today. I want to say it was either spinnerbaits or soft plastic minnows but can't remember for sure.
>>
>>985786
Looking at stuff mostly native or something
>>
>>985787
i never turn my tracker on desu , also im basing it off of 25/70 =35=36% there vs 54k/200k =27% there
>>
>>985774
how do you change the dicks thingy to miles
>>
>>985797
im on android, and it does it through a map my run app
automatically converts
>>
>>985772
is this pic real?

...i would
>>
>>985722
Do you have success in hooking into fishes when casting into the center? It looks like a clutterfuck to cast in.

I'll try that next time with a spoon instead of expensive flashminnow because I don't feel like a bird flying off with my $20 lure.

>>985725
Minnow lure simply means that the bait tries to immitate a minnow-like baitfish body. There are numerous kind of lures that are minnow lure. Even spoon can be minnow imitating.

Jerk bait are specifically designed to be jerk and pause so they have good specifc action on the jerk and then able to suspend ( perfectly if it's a high end hard plastic jerkbait) or at least sink or float very slowly. They are usually minnow shape to imitate dying baitfish.
>>
>>985806
Use a heavy diamond jig or big kastmaster spoon or 4 ounce to 6 ounce metal something.
>>
>>985870
Nothing is usually that big on the surf in socal to take lure that big. They also sink too quickly on the shallow water of the surf for me

I do use 1 oz and under kastmaster and kroc on the surf though
>>
>>985788
They have maps for native species that have been introduced outside their original range as well, which is almost all of them.
>>
File: IMG_0782.jpg (30KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0782.jpg
30KB, 236x354px
>Page 4
How?
>>
>>986093
Cormorants
>>
File: IMG_3328.jpg (62KB, 187x140px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3328.jpg
62KB, 187x140px
>>986120
Ok
>>
>working for Pepsi, the shitty social justice black lives matter meme company

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/business/kendall-jenner-pepsi-ad.html

After this commercial I'm never drinking Pepsi again.
>>
File: 1458493442898.gif (1012KB, 350x272px) Image search: [Google]
1458493442898.gif
1012KB, 350x272px
>>986144
But then what Original Domestic Cola© will you use to Hit The Spot® during your refreshing summer fishing activity?
>>
>>986144
> try to pander for every minority "oppressed" groups in one picture possible.
> one white girl at the end makes the whole ad problematic and offensive
> making peace with police instead of fighting them also is problematic

They should have known that trying to pander to liberal is a lost cause. Pepsis totally deserve it. Conservative simple views the ad as cringe worthy but liberals view it as offensive even if it panders to them.
>>
>>986158
Lol. Pretty much this. I watched it and I thought it was stupid because the whole BLM and SJW movements are retarded. But I didn't really find it offensive. Then I remembered how Liberals have no hobbies other than getting butthurt at the smallest thing.

And the white girl, she's half some sort of sandnigger x slav and also has a mom who used to be her dad so I don't think she's a horrible candidate for a commercial where you really couldn't make people happy no matter who was cast for the part.

Football season needs to come back so Pepsi stops trying to get creative.

>>986144
While the commercial was awful, laughing at the pissed off SJWs made me proud to wear blue.
>>
File: IMG_20170406_133735241.jpg (4MB, 5344x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170406_133735241.jpg
4MB, 5344x3006px
New rods. And reels
But no line
Fug
>>
>>986174
Just put some fucking mono on then
>>
>>986174
My Blackout casting rod arrives today. It'll see action this weekend. Hope it isn't shit. If it is I'm blaming /out/
>>
>>986176
planning on it, dont have any right now though and need to go out
think 150 yards of braid on each is enough w/ mono backing
>>
File: image.jpg (154KB, 1539x1264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154KB, 1539x1264px
My Jackall Giron™ in RT Ghost Bluegill™ comes in tomorrow. I've never used a hard swimbait before and I wanted to try one that I can use with out having to buy a heavy swimbait combo.

>weird fish wanted my gulp shrimp
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 511x383px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 511x383px
>>
>>986195
where you located ?
>>
>>986198
FL
>>
>>986185
I told u, if it does suck just bring it up to Gander Mtn and try to get full price credited towards something else.
>>
>>986185
>>986206
can confirm that you can do this. I bought a lews spinning combo last fall, used it a hand full of times and they still let me give it back for a full refund towards my crankbait/jerkbait setup
>>
>>986206
im thinking they'll be decent
my 2k reel will get 15 lb powerpro, my 3500 will get 30 probably
>>
>>986174
Nearly got this same combo. Are those Daiwa excelers? I grabbed one on sale too. Tell me how those no8s are. Almost got one but the QC issues threw me off so I went with an Abu vengeance
>>
>>986249
yes diawa exceler
im liking them and for $50 theyre pretty nice
the 3500 is a bit heavy for freshwter but itl also be my light saltwater rod so i wanted something a bit bigger
>>
been watching a few of Mike Iaconelli's videos lately and I swear to god the guy has autism.

Anyone ever notice how he does that weird thing when he catches a good fish he holds it as high above his head as he can? shit is weird. I really think hes on the spectrum
>>
what lb test mono you prefer?
I rock 6 lb. Small hooks like my 1/32 jigs normally bend out before the line breaks in a snag. So it's a nice combo.
Im not sure if the finer line of 4 lb would be worth it over that benefit.
>>
>>984355
If I want to get an >60 buck spinning rod that's sensitive enough for jigging and soft plastics, what should I get?
>>
>>986259
I was trying to find the same type of rod and settled on the Abu Garcia vengeance. Primarily I'd say something that's medium with a fast tip or medium heavy. I just went to stores and felt out which rods I liked
>>
>>986254
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CbKaI1cumk
I like the dude. I probably only know him since he's took the time to fish with youtubers, other pros probably havent figured out that connecting to the other side of fishing-videos is a good idea
>>
>>986266
lol I just watched that and it was the reason why I made that post. He's a cool dude but man the way he reacts to fish catches is so autistic
>>
Hey ya'll. A wise dude told me to make my heavy leaders out of fluorocarbon instead of regular mono. What are the pros and cons, regardless of price?
>>
>>986271
flouro is much more abrasion resistant, and also a bit less stretchy iitc
some people claim its also less visable,
only downside is i dont use it for too uch topwater because it sink
>>
File: yMPTJXr.jpg (206KB, 525x1600px) Image search: [Google]
yMPTJXr.jpg
206KB, 525x1600px
>>986271
>>
>>986272
>>986273
not him but also want to know; what kind of fluoro for toothy fish?
>>
>>986274
i use 15 lb stren flouro for y leaders for pickerel and occationally pike
i should switch up to 20 for pike, But i have only had one fish ever break off my 15 lb
for shit like bluefish that arnt picky id go way higher
>>
>>986266
>>986268
>the fish police part
>>
>>986274
depends what you are targeting
>>
>>986282
pickerel but pike also a species that can be around
>>
>>986285
Id say anything from 12-20ish pound test would work fine. Just be sure to run your fingers down the last 2-3 feet of line after a fish catch because they may partially cut the line and it will for sure snap when you set the hook on the next fish.
>>
>>986268
Yeah Mike Ike is ridiculous. The guy just genuinely love es what he does to autistic levels. I wish I had his garage and was as excited about life as him.
>>
File: Silver-and-Gold-spinner-blades.jpg (760KB, 2209x1373px) Image search: [Google]
Silver-and-Gold-spinner-blades.jpg
760KB, 2209x1373px
>>984355
Does blade color matter?
>>
>>986365
Gold = dirty/stained water
Silver = clear/clear-ish water

There are exceptions to the rule. Also Colorado blades are better in dirty water and at knight vs willow blades in general. Willow is for clear water and "finesse". Want both? Get a combo spinnerbait with both willow and colorado.

I still don't entirely understand why fish will crush one over the other when conditions say they should like the opposite sometimes.

Colorado blades put out more vibration though.
>>
>>985111
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/species-guide-index

That basically has every fish, bird, amphibian, and mammal species in Ohio.
>>
File: ww3.png (254KB, 1248x705px) Image search: [Google]
ww3.png
254KB, 1248x705px
>>986377
Very interesting information thank you

Also - Goodbye lads ww3 is here and I never caught a true lunker
>>
File: IMG_20160628_161109754_HDR.jpg (4MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160628_161109754_HDR.jpg
4MB, 2432x4320px
Ok I get how anadromous fish like trout end up over a wide range of different watersheds. Actually it's neat how each watershed have unique DNAs too, since they spawn normally in the same waterways once they get there.

But I don't understand how freshwater only fish are over a wide range of watersheds.

Obviously fish can swim but different watersheds only connect if you go through the ocean.

Take pickerel for example, native in new Jersey but also Florida. How the hell did the same species of pickerel end up there?

I'm guessing watersheds change overtime? For example a huge lake could shrink down to a few creeks and those then separate right between watersheds, and the opposite with a lake forming between watersheds
>>
File: IMG_0118.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0118.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
can someone ID this fishe

sorry for shit quality
>>
>>986478
Location?
>>
>>986480
texas

i sure it's some sort of minnow
>>
>>986482
Yes, looks like a creek chubs. There are a lot of different minnows that gave similar features
>>
>>986475
Although any number of variables could be attributed to the spreading of fish species across North America the main source is still the work of humans
>>
File: Astymexicanus.jpg (10KB, 333x175px) Image search: [Google]
Astymexicanus.jpg
10KB, 333x175px
>>986483
after researching a bit, i found out that it was actually a mexican tetra. never caught one before.
>>
>>986495
You know, thinking about it a bit fishing is a bit like ornithology except instead of looking at things you fight them.
>>
So I got to play with the Mach 2 combo I had the grill pickup.. And it's got some issues. Whenever you crank it there's definitely some gears grinding. I hope it's just the worm gear, but I feel like its internal. I'll look at lews warranty and if I can't send it back I'll try to switch it at gander or something. Very worst case I'll learn how to disassemble/assemble a memecaster.
>>
>>986491
Native ranges probably account for that, hence why most range maps include an introduced area where the fish were placed by humans.

I'm talking about native ranges that still are spread over half a continent
>>
>>986475
Avian transport is one theory. Some aquatic snails can survive gut passage and perhaps some fish eggs can as well. More likely the eggs survive in mud or on aquatic plants (sources of moisture which keep the eggs from drying out) which have become stuck to the birds.

Of course there is the human factor. Some folks have no qualms transporting fish regardless of legality. Or if we look far enough back to before environmental impacts of transplanting species was well understood, moving fish from one body of water to another was probably both unregulated and common practice.

Lastly it can be pretty impressive how interconnected fresh waters are (and how well freshwater species can tolerate or thrive in brackish waters). Large snow melts and periods of heavy rains can easily raise water levels while dropping the salinity down creating paths for species to move about where they usually could not. That's another theory for how snakehead here in Maryland managed to get from the Potomac River into the Patuxent.
>>
Blew my mind that Striper/ striped bass are Eastern US native, but I've always thought them as a purely Western US/ California breed of bass.
>>
>>986531
Yep. Those fucks are all over now.
>>
>>986560
I wish more of them are in socal
>>
how did native people make fishing equipment before the fishing rod?
>>
>>984855
Looks like Senja...
http://www.eu.purefishing.com/blogs/dk/senja-furbo/tag/senja-furbo/
>>
>>985393
Pike a best
Wanna go fishing for pike again like I did in the old days but no lakes or ponds around near where I live. Only the river which requires a rather expensive license - and yes, they check regularly...
>>
>>985708
Birds/seals/whatever other animal that eat 'your' fish has more right to be there than you do... personally I really don't mind.
But I guess that is the hypocrisy of fishermen/hunters in general. We/they try to claim something that isn't rightfully theirs.
Anecdotal time: here in Denmark a few years ago wolves started appearing again. The hunters' 'union' was all uppity about that saying the wolf had no place in nature because they ate the deer the hunters wanted to shoot. The reasoning was that hunters regulated the deer population. Regulating a population is exactly what predators do. And they do it better than hunters since predators usually go for the weaker individuals hence making for a healthier and stronger population. What a bunch of tards...
>>
>>986592
I agree, but most cormorants are overpopulating because of stocking efforts; they're dependent on it. If stocking stopped for a year, the native fish population would be hit hard and then there would be a problem with the fishery. All because the population of birds need to find an alternative to stocked fish.

Ofc stocking fish is the cause, but there's no real issue yet as long as stocking continues. Once something changes though shit does down.
>>
>>986586
Didn't they use nets?
Hooks seem easy, a rod seems easy, reel they probably didn't use, and the line was probably weak and thick made of some braid or something.
>>
>>986633
That's what I was thinking. Or some wooden traps.
>>
>>986637
Yea, native folk probably didnt see getting food as a sport and just wanted to get enough consistently. The time spent designing a rod, line (they probably preferred to use that line for other applications, dont want to waste it), and hooks wasnt worth just putting efforts into other fish-catching techniques.

Also spear/bow fishing.

Anyone know when hook+line fishing was used?
>>
File: IMG_20170406_213333.jpg (2MB, 3024x1879px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170406_213333.jpg
2MB, 3024x1879px
No.8 Blackout rod showed up lads. Put a Diawa Tatula Type R on it. Feels great to hold, will take it out and use it for real tomorrow.
>>
>>986708
Looks gud. Hopefully the rod holds up because they feel nice.
>>
>>986799
they do actually feel pretty decnt especially for the price
>>
what's a good big soft plastic bait for bass?

i usually throw smaller stuff but would like to try something big
>>
>>986826
>wacky rig senko
>7-inch Texas rigged worm

All you need senpai
>>
>>986826
Lizards and crawdads always work if you want to switch it up from worns. For Texas rigs, I always seem to do better using crawdad baits with longer claws and antennae like those Culprit Incredi-Craws or Incredi-Slime. Brush hogs work well too.
>>
File: IMG_4784.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4784.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Found these tiny little chatter baits at Gander today. Never seen them this small. I bet it will slaughter the pan fish. Comes with an extra little rubber minnow too.
>>
>>986920
Damn, I gotta keep an eye out for those. I have done much better with the smaller 1/8oz chattermemes than the full size ones when going for bass. I bet those little guys would work well for sneks too. Even big sneks, you don't need a giant hook because their mouths are fleshy like catfish where you can haul a heavy one with a hook set that a bass would easily shake.
>>
>>986929
What colors do you like? I have a blue gill pattern for the spring and the classic chartreuse for when ever but I never really have much luck with that one. Also rec me some trailers with the colors you like please
>>
>>986949
Idk man, I haven't had a ton of luck with em. The 1/8oz white one is the only one I've gotten a couple bass on. TXfag loves the bigger ones.
>>
white is best bait color
>>
>>986967
False. It's the best skin color.
>>
any of yall catch any big pregnant fatties that look like they're ready to burst?
>>
>>986979
Yeah. Ur mum. She's always full of cummies and ready to burst
>>
>>986979
i got a maiting pair of pickerel, one was leaking milt one leaking eggs
>>
>>986996
Ur mum makes me leak milt
>>
caught a lil dink on the memebait today

all is well
>>
>>987003
what memebait? there's so many
>>
File: image.jpg (579KB, 2448x1743px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
579KB, 2448x1743px
pretty cute tbfh
>>
>>987011
Chattermeme probably

If it were a Mepps™, anon would've said "The GOAT Bait".
>>
>>987018
i always snag them before i can catch anything
>>
>>987049
Yeah all inline spinners do tend to work like rakes so if you're fishing an unfamiliar spot, you gotta be careful.
>>
DEC website says they stocked 153+ million walleye in the lake down the road from me in 2015. Surly that can't be right, can it?

Hatchery anon are you lurking?
>>
>>987068
How big is the lake? I mean if the dump them real young, I'm sure only a small portion actually make it to keeper size. But still, 153,000,000? Maybe it was 153k and a hispanic person wrote it.

>310 when??
>>
File: image.jpg (200KB, 821x822px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200KB, 821x822px
>>987077
soon

you catch anything today peps?

any life updates you care to share with the group?
>>
>>987077
Its ~80 square miles.

I had to triple check to make sure I was reading it right and I was. It says 153 million. It says they are basically fry at that point but still even if only 25% of those survive thats a fucking ridiculous amount of fish
>>
>>987080
Nah I thought about stopping somewhere close today but that cold front came thru last night so it probably would've been shitty anyway. Yesterday was real humid and muggy all day but then in the afternoon it got cloudy and that front was about to come thru. Yesterday at dusk would've probably been fire fishing but I got like no sleep Weds night and took a nap after work.

>>987082
If they're fry, it's far less than 25%. But still...
>>
wish it wasn't so windy today so i could've gone out

little cold front came through but tomorrow and sunday are supposed to be real nice so we'll see how the bite is affected
>>
>>987094
You gotta watch for those fronts, right before a cold front comes thru and the bass will bite anything and everything.
>>
File: 1491595135603.jpg (85KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1491595135603.jpg
85KB, 600x600px
>>987098
>>987098
>>987098
>>987098
>>
>>986586
>▶
area is underwater now, flooded by dam poster
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 61

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.