[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Motorcycle Adventures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

I am going to be buying a suzuki DR 650 this summer and driving from Edmonton to Inuvik, NT by taking the dempster highway.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this type of thing; ie things I should take with me, things I should do along the way etc...

Also, share anything related to long distance motorcycle trips itt.
>>
>>
>>984132
I wanna do this, too. Just from germany -> poland -> lithuania latvia estonia ->russia -> finland ->sweden/norway->denmark->germany.

Still looking at what bike to get, but I have time as my next chance for things like this is after my bachelor
>>
File: DSC01513_-L.jpg (174KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01513_-L.jpg
174KB, 800x533px
>>984132
>DR 650
Solid choice.

First, wear your gear, dress for the crash, etc. Find what's comfortable, what works for your style of riding. Might take a few tries to find a setup that you like.

Second, know your moto inside and out. Ability to diagnose and manage repairs is huge when you're way out in the backcountry. When you're doing maintenance in the garage, work out of the toolkit you bring when you ride. Much better to find out you need a 17mm socket or T20 torx bit to do some procedure in the garage than it is when you're 40 miles away from anything and something broke.

Not real familiar with that bike, but go through and fix all the stuff people have issues with.

Know your limits, when to call it a day and get some rest. A little fuckup in a car might wreck a bumper or body panel, that same fuckup on a bike will be significantly more painful.

If you're doing the trip solo, share your ride plans with someone you trust and check in with them regularly, update your timetables/routes as things change. If something happens and you miss a check-in, someone can raise alarm and has a general idea of where to start looking.
>>
>>984132
Nice one! I've been riding for years and have done a few overseas adventure rides, best advice for you would be learn how to fix it. Motorbikes don't need many tools, I've built two r1's from parts and have a DR350 that I loan to friends for trail rides. You're going to have a blast, noice one anon :)
>>
>>984132
Bug repellent lots of it too.
>>
>>984132
air hawk seat pad.
>>
>>984132
advrider,com....
>>
I live in Alaska and have driven all over. I carry a plug kit and a small car type air compressor, I stripped the lighter plug off the end so I can just hook it up to my battery.(fun story below) The only real problem is the road. Dirt roads kick up a lot of dust so keeping your chain clean and lubricated is a concern and so is your helmet face shield. I would buy 2 for a helmet with the intent on trashing the one you are going to use and carry a spare in case it breaks. I've ridden with guys who get out a can of Honda Polish every 10 minutes to clean their shield then after about a day they do like us and squeegee it with dirty gas station water/soap.

So my only advice is to prepare for either a dusty dry road that they sometime wet with a water tanker to keep the dust down, makes bike and you super dirty and road slippery. Then there is the frost heaves, sometimes they mark them, sometimes they don't. Also if they are repairing or re-chip sealing a road prepare for oil on the road.

And I'm not sure but is the DR650 a tubeless or a tubed tire? Changing tubes blows.

Fun story: One time I was doing the Haines/Haines Junction/Whitehorse/Skagway loop and I came up on a bunch of Harleys at Emerald Lake pullout. They were looking at one of the bikes and I asked if they were having troubles, they weren't from Alaska. One guy just spits out like a dick "what's it look like..." I looked then noticed the flat tire. I just went "bummer" and left. I could have had the tire fixed in about 5 minutes. You rude, you lose.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.