[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpackers of /out/ Quilts or Bags? what are you using

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

Backpackers of /out/

Quilts or Bags?

what are you using
>>
Using my father's old US AF bag, fits my sleeping bag, a pod I can climb into with the sleeping bag, poncho and then some.
>>
For trail camping I always go with a cold weather bag and self inflating pad like thermorest.

But for car camping:
If below 50*F - Bags with down pads
If above 50*F - Fucking anything you want, quilts and bed pads, bags and egg crate, serta memory foam bed topper, just whatever
>>
>>984014
Quilt for hammocking and summer camping. Bag for cold weather tent camping.
>>
People backpack with quilts, like from a bed?
Is this some new thing?

I go backpacking into the mountains, often without a tent
It's cold up there, even in summer
I bring a bag

Are these new space aged quilts built with cuben fiber and trickle down technology from NASA?
>>
It would be my advice to use a roll up pad with a mummy bag rated for 0 degrees F, for literally any weather conditions.

If it's hot, either just bring a wool blanket or leave the mummy bag unzipped.

The roll up pad really changed a lot about camping in any weather condition.

If your tent or shelter leaks, you'll have a half inch to and inch of seperation from the ground.

Also, never forget to have tarps.
>>
>>986521
Modern sleeping bags were invented in the late 1800s
What did you think people used before then?
>>
>>986550
non-modern sleeping bags
>>
>>986550
>What did you think people used before then?
They frequently died from exposure
>>
EE Revolution, 800 FP down, 0*F, 28 oz.
>>
>>986550
I don't LARP in the mountains
>>
Thermarest trail scout for under me, then either marmot 40F synthetic or kelty 40F down bag (used as a top quilt) on top. If warmer but need a bit of insulation, 50F down throw from costco.

SOL escape bivy supplement if needed.

ordering 10F top quilt and underquilt from zpacks / enlighten soon.
>>
Being April, I use my 20 degree Enlightened Equipment quilt. I tried using it for a 2 week Appalachian hike early March, not a good idea. For those temps you totally need a real mummy bag.
>>
>>986550
Woolen cloaks that would be used as, well, cloaks, during the day.
>>
green-valley-cool-weather-sleeping-bag
and some heavy Ozark trail sleeping bag bought years ago.
>>
>>986521
Not quilts, like from a bedroom. A camping quilt is kind of like a sleeping bag with no back. Since in a sleeping bag your pad provides the insulation, the back of the sleeping bag isn't doing very much. Your weight compresses the insulation anyways. A camping quilt takes away all that excess weight, without losing any warmth.

I use Jacks r better quilts, pic related. Quilts are especially popular for a hammock (which I use).
>>
>>987567
Thanks anon
From your pic, it looks like your feet are still fully enclosed
I'm due for a new bag, so I'll consider this
>>
>>988008
With JrB and most other quilt makers you can choose a sewn in footbag as an option.
>>
>>987567
i move too much in my sleep for that. 30 minutes in half my body would be uncovered.
>>
>>988189
Get a wide quilt. I toss all night no problem. Some come with straps to strap it down on your pad so it won't move
>>
File: 1485568458727.jpg (37KB, 511x511px) Image search: [Google]
1485568458727.jpg
37KB, 511x511px
>>984023
you should really get a new bag, hey can I look in your bag without permission? you should really get my bag.
>>
>>990060
Fuck off Joe
>>
I think quilts are the new soft shell. Everybody is pushing them like hell. And I think it's gonna turn out to be a dud. What was I thinking, buying a sleeping bag with no zipper?
They tell you to make sure and get a good ground pad so you don't get cold. And now your ass is gonna be touching the ground uncovered sometimes. The whole think about a sleeping bag is it's a nice little hot pocket. If a quilt is so great, why weren't people using them sooner?
>>
>>991173cont'd

>What was I thinking, buying a sleeping bag with no zipper?
I don't mean that I bought one. What I mean is that this is what people will be asking themselves in a few years.
>>
>>991173
people have been using quilts for ages. they are blankets.

a sleeping bag doesn't do much good without a pad anyways. the difference now is that the not so useful back of the bag is now omitted.
>>
File: Wearing-Stealth-web-sm.jpg (110KB, 336x336px) Image search: [Google]
Wearing-Stealth-web-sm.jpg
110KB, 336x336px
>>987421
you can do the same with insulated quilts. several have ties and openings to facilitate using them as clothing
>>
>>991173
have fun spending the $500 to get a bag of comparable weight
>>
One day UL technology is going to stagnate and people will stop going /out/ because hiking gear didn't get any lighter since last season. After all how did people go hiking last year, their gear was way too heavy. It's like anorexia is happening in your backpack. That's how watching people argue about weight on /out/ feels like
>>
>>988008

There was one that I saw the other day that didn't have a closed in footbox and instead had cordage that you'd use to wrap around your sleeping pad. I'd recommend this so you can use it whenever you're not camping, especially when you want to share.

There's a few custom makers, and I forget the name of one that lets you choose between length and width individually. Can get expensive though.
>>
>>987567

I fell for this meme but the truth is when its fucking freezing outside and the wind is howling, a sleeping bag is GOD-TIER because there are no DRAFTS. It's worth carrying a few extra oz for this.

>went quilt
>came back

Hammock with UQ is slightly different situation, but even in my hammock I prefer a central-zip sleeping bag
>>
>>984014
I'm a shameless hammock fag so I'm probably diy myself a quilt but I think people hate on them too much, it just depends on your location. If you're going below freezing don't buy a freaking quilt but if you live somewhere that's a humid hot mess there's literally no point in carrying around a giant sleeping bag.
>>
>>992690
More like one day ultralight will be so mainstream and cheap that more people will start to prize durability and comfort over muh ounces and we'll be back to 60L external frame overnights once again.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.