[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultralight Backpacking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 31

File: unnamed (1).jpg (224KB, 1134x638px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).jpg
224KB, 1134x638px
Pic related, muh Zpacks Solplex. Great tent, only 15.7 ounces...hard to beat that weight.
>>
Ive been looking at the hexamid and the duplex for a while now and will probably eventually buy the duplex when I have saved up, but it will be well into this hiking season. Hexamid doesnt have a floor and just uses one stick, duplex is huge and looks to be the best option but is expensive. I dont see the appeal to the soleplex cause its really just a cut rate duplex an has a wonky roof.

Anyone planning on being sub 10lbs looking at packs I can recommend the ULA, for the price its great, or get the ohm 2.0 if you want a frame/hipbelt
>>
Fucking yuppies
>>
>>983230
lol wow u sure really showed us anon

>>983213
I go UL when I hike alone, I just want to walk all day from the time i wake up to when I go to sleep. you cant do that comfortably when you have 40lbs strapped to you. when i hike with my wife, i carry a fishin pole and a stove and baby wipes, and we will mozy along and spend time together relaxing in camp. But when Im alone that just doesnt appeal to me and I would rather keep walking and cover miles
>>
File: unnamed (2).jpg (261KB, 1134x638px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (2).jpg
261KB, 1134x638px
>>983213
My full load. Zpacks Arc Blast, Enlightened Equipment quilt, Zpacks Solplex, Zpacks food bag, clothing bag(down jacket, socks), bag of various shit, Neoair, Toaks titanium pot(no stove)
>>
>>983225
>I dont see the appeal to the soleplex cause its really just a cut rate duplex an has a wonky roof.
because of the weight I mentioned. 15 ounces. I don't need a roomy shelter, i'm only in the thing when I go to sleep
>>
Anyone just use a tarp. Thinking about just buying a tarp
>>
>>983238
Showed you? You know youre a yuppie, im just reiterating and expressing my distaste at your shitty hobby.
>>
>>983254
These threads always manage to trigger a few people and I have no idea why.
>>
File: download (4).jpg (180KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
180KB, 1000x667px
>>983253
Some folks in the military do it, especially scouts.
Buy then it's all about your sleepy bag, bag cover, mat and only then comes your tarp. It's basically only for rain and wind.
>>
>>983258
ignorance. they probably see prices of a few UL items and think that reducing weight has to be expensive, hence only for yuppies. Also probably dont realize that they can leave shit at home and be fine, again ignorance. You can backpack with less weight for the same price as a heavy hiking set up but people dont have the patience or care enough to try.

theres merit to hiking both styles. Heavy gives you comfort in camp, light gives you comfort while walking. some stuff like mountaineering requires more gear, and tougher gear, which means weight. it really just depends on what you want to do.
>>
>>983258
Youre the ones who are triggered, because deep down you know you have more money than sense. Thats why you cant stand being called for what you are.
>>
>>983258
The problem is that there is trying to cut out weight from your pack and then there is just being a fanny about it.
>>
Who else /light-not-ultralight/ here
>>
>>983306
sup

14lb base weight. carry a 3lb synthetic bag and 4 lb tent because frugalfag. In summer I carry a 1lb fleece bag in but im in New England and its cold AF here right now. I want to get a zpacks tent or to get a tarp and a down quilt but waiting to save a lil more. I can afford the zpacks now but i dont like spending in excess when I can get by with what i have.

That guy calling people yuppies cause they want to be lighter is a fucking retard. hes probably a poorfag busch light crafter who car camps and doesnt hike, and thinks a kabar is mandatory carry anytime you step out your door
>>
>>983314
>I can afford the zpacks now but i dont like spending in excess when I can get by with what i have.
exactly how I feel, consumerism is what's killing /out/ not ultralighters
>>
>>983306
11.5lbs base weight. I know what I would like to buy to save a few pounds, but its hard to justify when my gear is in good condition and I only spent about 25 days camping last year.

Getting my weight down was realizing what was important TO ME (toilet paper, wet ones, etc.), and what wasn't important ( e.g. changing my shirt day to day).

I'd love to be at 7 lbs, but my question to myself is always- are there diminishing returns here?
>>
Is that picture a joke? It looks like a retard setup a yard sale tent
>>
>>983272
Except that most people actually work their ass off to make money which means they have education and sense. Keep whining poorfag.
>>
>>983314
I too would use that UL shit if I could, but around here it would get BTFO in short order.

We always have guys roll through who think shaving a pound is stupid, but halfway through their first scouting trip they are throwing all the extra junk they packed off a cliff.
>>
>>983250
You fucked up. The Evernew cook mug is less grams than the Toaks because the Ti grade is better. Could have saved dem grams.
>>
>>983528
It cost 550 dollars, hardly a "yard sale tent" lol
>>
>>984384
I had that pot, but left it in a hiker box because I wasn't using it. This pot is just temporary, probably ditching it too
>>
Okay I see a lot of people, as usual, shitting on going UL. I'm on the Appalachian trail hiking to Maine, it makes sense to have a pack as lightweight as possible without getting stupid, I have a complete kit for all weather and environments. I see people out here with 50-60 pound packs killing them, fuck that shit. These mountains are BRUTAL..Don't be a cunt to your body with some heavy ass pack
>>
I use hammock and sleeping bag that can fit over the whole thing because then i dont need sleeping pad when insulation cant compress under my weight. I use ultralight tarp or poncho over it when its rainy weather.

When im going to forest i can camp almost everywhere since i dont need to think about uneven ground or moisture. If area has no trees, i switch hammoc to sleeping pad and sleep under my tarp.

Also have mosquito net for it when shits get real.
>>
>>983272
>>983278
But it's not about carrying less, it's about going further/faster. Keep being salty, no one here gives a fuck...
>>
>>983278
People that are 40 pounds overweight will spend hundreds of $ buying new gear to save an ounce of weight from their pack
>>
>>983359
yes but his point is valid, this thread isn't about going ultralight - this is a thread about zpacks which is a boutique consumer brand aimed at people who want to pay to go UL instead of using ingenuity/inventiveness/grit to go UL through unconventional means.
>>
For those who want something UL you can also check out tarptent.com

They make some great stuff, while not as light as some of the dyneema/cuben fiber tents, they are definitely still UL, and relatively affordable.
>>
i got the image 2 person 4 seasons for $20. Not sure what it weighs, but it's nothing.
>>
>>984554
The title of the thread is "ultralight backpacking".... how is it not about going UL?

zpacks is a great company, and their shit is pricey for a reason. Its all hand made by AMERICANS, and it uses really high quality materials and has high level of QC, and is light. it was started by a single dude, Joe Valesko, in his apartment. He's hiked almost 10,000 miles all with homemade gear and has pioneered the use of cuben/dyneerma which is on its way to becoming a UL industry standard. They stand by their shit too, if your gear shreds on the CDT or PCT, they will overnight you a new one to the next town. Yeah, for less money people can use other stuff or make their own, but not everyone has skillz, and the piece of mind that comes from a company that stands by its products the way cottage companies do is worth the price for most. So criticize it all you want but your probably either misinformed or a poorfag.
>>
>>984646
Fuckoff shill, and shove your $600 tent up your consumerist land raping ass
>>
>>983213
>only 15.7 ounces...hard to beat that weight.
My entire base weight is 4 pounds.

>>983253
>Thinking about just buying a tarp
I have a GI poncho that I throw over me in heavy rain, but for light to moderate rain an SOL escape bivvy is better.

>>984537
>People that are 40 pounds overweight will spend hundreds of $ buying new gear to save an ounce of weight
People that are 40 pounds overweight are used to carrying 40 extra pounds, not 80.
>>
>>984792
>there are actually hippies on 4chan

Shouldn't you be feeling the Bern?
>>
>>984792
i dont even own anything from zpacks faggot. i just actually think rationally and know good shit when i see it
>>
File: 1490722300511.jpg (77KB, 444x467px) Image search: [Google]
1490722300511.jpg
77KB, 444x467px
>be a shill
>let me create this sweet shill thread of a fucking company that I'm no part of
>it backfires and I start getting shit thrown at me
>I get mad and insecure
>I call you poorfags to prove my superiority
You can't really make this shit up
>>
>>984902
Their products must be shit when their own employees refuse them
>>
As my old gear has worn out I've replaced it with lighter stuff but my stupid 5-pound Osprey pack won't wear out.
>>
I need to rob a bank or something so I can afford a Big Agnes tent.
>>
>>984938
some dude in another thread legitimately suggested stealing gear from stores like Dick's, bass pro, ect by just casually walking out of the store with them in hand.
>>
>>984537
Fat asses seldom go UL because they enjoy eating and being lazy pieces of shit too.
>>
>>984943
It seems like the classic "cheap items on top of the cart, expensive items on the bottom of the cart" gambit would work better.
>>
>>984943
That was me. The gear at those stores is not the best and is def. not ultralight.

>>984957
No, just walking out is. They don't stop you as long as you don't give away your intentions until it's too late to do anything.
>>
>>983213
Go away, Will.
>>
>>984808
Gearlist/climate?
>>
File: UL.jpg (871KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
UL.jpg
871KB, 1120x1680px
>>985422
>Gearlist/climate?
Pic related and eastern WA.
For freezing weather I switch to a hammock and also carry a cook kit for hot meals.
>>
>>983272
>you have more money than sense

t. highschool dropout
>>
>>984924
This
I have had a 6lb Mountain Tools pack since 93
I finally got a zpack last summer, and it was a huge difference
>>
>>983272
I am underweight so naturally carrying a normal load is very expensive and physically exhausting for me.

that why for me, it's ultralight, the best hiking experience for the physically impaired like myself.
>>
>>986126
>I am underweight
Go on a few multi-day hikes without food. It tricks you metabolism into having a lower "starving threshold" which makes your brain crave food more often, and makes your body convert more of those calories into fat.

Conversely, for those who want to lose weight, eat fatty foods on a regular basis. This trains your body to use lipids for energy, which makes it NOT go into starvation mode when there's body fat that can be used.
>>
>>984957
>>985057
i walked away from wallyworld the other day with a free trout rod and 6lb test in my hands. the trick is to smile at people and wander around like you're half-retarded.

>inb4 wallyworldfullretard.jpg
>>
>>986239
dude what are you smoking
>>
>>983314
yeah i've found, really the most expensive thing about cutting weight is the sleep system. With shelter tarps really arent expensive and they work great (shoutout to etowah oudoors, cheap light and bomber). But if you want to step under 2 lbs for dat sleeping bag you really gotta fork over the cash. I guess you could always go MYOG but thats pretty hard.

A flat tarp from borah gear or etowah or something. As long as you have a headnet on bugs are never an issue desu.
>>
>>984924
make your own bag?

It really is a fun project.
>>
File: 1483372303898.jpg (11KB, 400x467px) Image search: [Google]
1483372303898.jpg
11KB, 400x467px
>$555
>>
>>988246
>weighs less than 1lb
>durable enough to last 10k miles of hiking
>keeps bugs and rain off you, and traps warmth better than any comparable option
>complaining about price

people dont bat an eye when someone spends 500 bucks on a road bike (thats even a low price for a decent bike, so many people spend over 1500) for cycling but you jews on this board flip your fucking lid when quality backpacking gear costs more than you thought u were willing to pay. for the people who thru hike and sleep +150 nights a year in their tent, 5 bills isnt that bad a price
>>
>>988269
>for the people who thru hike and sleep +150 nights a year in their tent

No one here does that. Maybe 5 nights a year at most
>>
>>988387
Talking for yourself?
>>
>>988269

>0.02 cents has been deposited into your paypal account
>>
>>983306
I'm light not ultralight because I'm too poor to be buying expensive shit to save 10 grams but at the same time I'm also too poor to be spending my money on stupid gimmicky shit that some people fall for like trowels so it evens out to about right.
>>
>>988528
I don't get trowels either lol
>>
>>988528
>>988684
What is wrong with an orange, plastic poop shovel?
>>
>Too weak to pack
>>
>>988688
Any trowel is unnecessary. Just go where the ground is softer and you dont need it. Your shit doesn't have to be buried in packed earth like a grave, just needs 6" of any kind of natural cover. Kick with the heel of your foot through loose pine needles or littered leaves and debris or mulch, then pile up extra afterward. most of the time you can get 6" of cover without even digging as long as you pick a good spot. If you're in a more packed area with less litter and it just can't wait then use a stick or your hiking pole or tent stake to get through the more compacted ground. Boom instant weight and money savings all you need is knowledge.

>>988528
Same here. Getting my weight any lower would require investment in pack, shelter, sleeping bag, and I just can't justify the money at this point.
In my experience based off people I've met while hiking, the traditional heavy packers are way more guilty of expensive gimmicks than the UL people, and most all of it is super heavy, go figure. carrying stuff like saws and hatchets, stand alone gps, big knives, camp chairs, binoculars, multitools, huge first aide kits, fishing gear they dont use, camera gear, jet boil stoves. But the jews/poorfags see a 500 dollar tent or a 50 dollar trowel and loose it and assume saving weight requires lots of cash, when really most of it is just bringing less crap (consequently buying less)
>>
File: barely out.jpg (579KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
barely out.jpg
579KB, 2448x3264px
I love beaches /out, and I usually only stay for 1-3 nights, mostly weekends because I'm a wage slave cuck. I always feel like I'm forgetting something when I'm not even 2 hours away far from civilization in most cases, and I've never really gone and said "oh fuck I needed that thing". Here's what's in my tiny backpack

>main compartment
Couple of clothes, tiny towel, goggles
Canned and dried shit if I'm really feeling like not dropping by the small towns to eat
>tiny area in main compartment
Power bank, charger, phone
>2nd compartment
zip lock with hygiene shit
>side pockets
Decent sized water bottle
>hammock with its own bug net and rain fly, can fit two asians, conveniently stores in its own tiny bag, tied to my backpack
>pockets
Wallet, cash, IDs

I live in the tropics, anywhere I go or plan to go there will always be something I can tie my hammock and rain fly on. It doesn't get crazy cold, in fact, it's pretty fucking hot.

What would change if I went up whatever tiny mountains we have? I'm assuming more water, some kind of boots along with decent protection for my skin in case of bites/thorny shit?
Other than that what I have packed sounds pretty decent for 3-5 nights out yes? Not like 3-5 nights is that long, you could probably survive with just water if surviving is all you're after, but hey, I want to be comfy.
>>
File: poopshovel.jpg (3KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
poopshovel.jpg
3KB, 250x250px
>>988766
>2 ounces
>$4

>just needs 6" of any kind of natural cover.
No. Pine needles and leaf litter do not count
No wonder I can smell your shit
>>
>>983213
>Ultralight Backpacking
>backpack

You're already fucked up.
>>
>>983253
I've been wanting to go walk the Pyrenees using minimal equipment with a tarp as a horseshoe bag for a while now but haven't quite been able to do it.
>>
>>988933
This guy knows.

They're seriously very useful for very little weight.
>>
>>983213
That's some nicely mowed grass anon
>>
>>988933
https://youtu.be/n2x-G7sXVs4?t=2m
>>
>>988933
>>989124
skip to 2 minute mark
>>
>>988967
Far easier to grab any stick or rock on the ground to quickly dig a hole to take a shit. Won't even need to take your pack off.
>>
>>989124
>bringing hand "sanitizer"
Hand sanitizer is meme tier microbiology
Plus, this guy is in a lush field, and a faggot, like all youtubers, and their fans

>>989367
You can shit with your pack on?
How tiny is your pack?
>>
>>989417
Andrew skurka wrote the book on ultralight backing, literally. Hes hiked over 30,000 miles. Once you've hiked further than the distance from you armchair to the fridge maybe I'll heed your advice untill then Imma listen to skurka.
>>
>>989417
Your pack shouldn't come down past your waist, size is immaterial.
>>
>>989449
Sorry
Some of us have grown out of hero worship, especially in regards to (((trust fund brats)))
Sorry about your blind obsequience though
Hand sanitizers are bullshit
Google them
>>
>>983213

I just take a painter's tarp. Doctor it with some natural material. Weighs like 4 ounces, durable as hell and water proof.
>>
>>989484

> (((trust fund brats)))

Lazy guy detected
>>
>>984479
>dat pic
climbfags are so fucking crazy to me. im happy that they are enjoying themselves but holy fuck how is that fun...?? i would be shitting my pants.
>>
>>983213
What did that run you? I'm assuming $500 or whatever ridiculous price zpacks charges for their gear.
>>
>>989885
You can't find their website yourself?
Kys
>>
>>990137
Nice response.
kys
>>
>>990158
Reanimate yourself, faggot.
>>
>>989484
bruh explain your beef with hand sanitizer please cause you blindly dismiss it as if we all are just as enlightened as you when it comes to microbes. Please share why its a meme.
go on.

would rather use purell than nothing at all after rawdoggin with bare fingers. i would hope people i meet in public and /out/ do the same. even if the science is a meme, and all the germs survive, at least its something and the alcohol acts as a solvent to get the residue off my finger tips.
>>
>>990225
Washing tries to remove the microbes from your hands
Hand sanitizers try to kill the microbes on your hands, but they don't kill everything, so you are just pushing them around
Hand sanitizers cannot kill bacterial endospores or many viruses so it's better to rinse them off

I don't get poop on my fingers when shitting anyway
And even if I did, it's my poop so there are no bacteria or viruses in there that are not already in me
>>
>>990547
>Washing tries to remove the microbes from your hands

Actually, soap kills bacteria by breaking their phospholipid bilayer.
>>
>>990547
okay i thought maybe you knew something i didnt im glad to see youre just retarded. soap chemically kills microbes, just like alcohol in sanitizer. I hope i never meet you.
>>
>>990569
>>990552
>>990547
>>990225

You are all retarded. Your own shit will not make you sick it's actually healthy to eat. It's other people's shit that kills you and yet you faggots love male and female ass. Educate yourself
>>
>>990587
I'm pretty sure fecal matter from anyone would be a petri dish for bacteria of all kinds.

Same as how urine is sterile when it first comes out of your body, but it becomes pathogenic almost immediately.
>>
>>990587
Where did you get your medical degree?
>>
>>990569
>>990552
>breaking their phospholipid bilayer
How does it get past a cell wall? Why doesn't it break your lipid bilayers too?

Soap is not magic and doesn't kill most bacteria and viruses, and bacterial spores are completely unaffected by it
Only antibacterial soap has the ability to kill some bacteria because it has things like triclosan in it, which is an endocrine disruptor.
And even this will not kill viruses or spores
>>
>>990708
>>990589
>>990708

Do you think that you get cholera or diptheria or the flu or aids from yourself?
>>
>>990912
Tell you what bud, slash your your skin open and rub some of your shit in it, repeat daily. Then start shitting in your water supply just for kicks, disconnect any filtration system you have. We'll never have to listen to your nonsense again.
>>
File: 1465944937290.jpg (103KB, 728x843px) Image search: [Google]
1465944937290.jpg
103KB, 728x843px
>>990930
>>
>>990708
Dartmouth, you fucking faggot.
>>
File: 41351345.jpg (13KB, 284x160px) Image search: [Google]
41351345.jpg
13KB, 284x160px
>>991011
how was being roommates with fogell? are you and seth still friends?
>>
>>991011
Please post a picture of your degree and your drives license with shoe on head to confirm.
>>
File: lakewater.jpg (76KB, 700x487px) Image search: [Google]
lakewater.jpg
76KB, 700x487px
>>990912

Ever notice how your eyes always close when you sneeze? This is to keep the microorganisms in your nasal passages from infecting your eyes. Animals without this reflex have a greater chance of going blind.
>>
>>991068
I think you caught retardation from writing that
>>
>>990912
if shit is so benign then why is human instinct to be repulsed by it
>>
>>991164
Did someone assert that it was?
>>
>>983262
Can you point me in the direction of some resources for learning how to set up an UL gear set for cheap?
>>
>>983306
I carry entirely too damn much, but I lurk in these threads to pick up info on how to drop some of that weight while remaining comfy. Gonna try hammock camping soon, I have back problems.
>>
>>990912
Certain kinds of gut flora can cause problems if they are introduced into the wrong parts of the digestive tract. Others are opportunistic, and can cause infections. E Coli is found in healthy humans intestines, but you still don't want to ingest it. Fecal matter is stuff your body is trying to get rid of.
>>
>>984916
How deluded are you people? There are no shills
>>
>>991572
thats a copypasta from a different thread someone keeps reposting
>>
>>989850
The small adrenaline rush when you start climbing is great tbhfam
I personally hated climbing before I joined the Army but after going through Air Assault school I wanted more, I think it's just something you have to just try
>>
>>991511
not the other poster, but reducing weight often relies of a good personal knowledge of what you want to accomplish while out, and what the environment is going to be.

a good place to start is whiteblaze, the AT hiking community forums. plenty of gear discussions by many people of different backgrounds.

backpackinglight is a great, organized community, and you'll find plenty of articles and discussion about reducing weight on a budget, along with discussion about making your own gear if you're in to that sort of thing.

Adventure Alan has extensively researched and updated gearlists that often push the limits of lightness , price and practicality. I use his writeups as inspiration for improved practices and ideas about how I might use gear differently (eg using the sleeping bag as a camp jacket)
>>
>>991511
https://lighterpack.com/r/776crf
this list has some really good stuff if you are okay buying from china on aliexpress and waiting a month for shipping.

I have the UL 55L Backpack and its good, i cut off all the straps that hold the mattress on,
>>
>>983213

How are they for ruggedness? I know they're made from some crazy fabric, but will it develop tears easily?

It looks like it would keep the rain off, but what about wind? Frankly it looks looks like it would be not that much better than a DD tarp.

Are they really worth the price?
>>
>>984479
What if they have to take a shit?
>>
>>989850
Same. It's not a matter of irrational fear, it's just that there is always a chance that the gear is defective, that something will snap, then SPLAT! Not my idea of fun. I'll gladly go ski off a 20 foot cliff for fun but I'm not gonna be suspended on a fucking climbing rope over certain death. Fuck that.
>>
>>988964

>Horseshoe bag
What's that? Google's doesn't know

Do you mean like a bindle or a yukon backpack?
>>
>>983261
Tarps can be cold. Really fucking cold. If you bring a tarp, at least bring a sleeping bag to put inside it. I spent a night as a scout in the army with only a tarp. It was 2 degrees and rainy and I could barely sleep that night.
>>
File: IMG_2639.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2639.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>983225
I love the duplex. It gets a little tight with both my girlfriend and I in it, but the storage space outside the netting comes in handy then. If it's just me by myself, then it's perfect sized
>>
File: IMG_2783.jpg (4MB, 2722x3629px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2783.jpg
4MB, 2722x3629px
>>983253
I have. I just use my Zpacks hammock tarp
>>
>>994619
Thinking about getting either a zpacks tarp or warbonnet edge to go with my blackbird hammock? Is it worth saving 4-5 oz?
>>
File: IGP0298.jpg (1MB, 2800x1855px) Image search: [Google]
IGP0298.jpg
1MB, 2800x1855px
About 10 years ago, I put a lot of effort into going ultralight with my gear, but I seem to have added a lot of that weight back on in the intervening decade. I no longer know or care about my "dry weight." I only care about the maximum weight for any given length trip. A longer trip with more food weight will mean fewer luxury items.

My pack is still going to be lighter than most other backpackers for a comparable length trip, but included in my pack weight now are some luxury items that other people don't usually have, such as:
>DSLR with multiple lenses
>tripod
>bear mace
>10mm handgun
>flyrod, fishing flies and a landing net (very important)
>long, wide and extra thick down-filled sleeping pad (not shown here)
and yes, I tend to being all of these items for every trip, and my total pack weight is still pretty good because the big camping gear items are all ultralight.
>>
Tents can be heavy, bulky, and take time to set up and pack up.

Are hammocks a better option? They're pretty simple to set up, and barely way anything. With a tarp, and sleeping bag your golden from the elements also.

I have one of these and I have no opened or used it yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FCURFT6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>994666
I don't know how somebody could say that hammocks are any easier to set up. Looking around for suitable trees takes time, setting up the hammock takes time. Setting up the tarp also takes time. There are a lot of tents with only two elasticized collapsible poles that clip into the tent body from quick detach points.
>>
>>988803
Shit that does sound kinda comfy man. Do you just put the hammock in your backpack?
You're not carrying a lot honestly, it must be pretty light.
Where you from that has both mountains and beaches?
>>
>>989124
How the fuck do you wipe your ass with pine cones, sticks, and other things of that nature? A pack of wipes is more then enough for a long time.
>>
>>989557
What do you mean?
>>
>>994676
Depending on what your using it can me more or less. I would be interested in seeing what tents your talking about. I still don't think they're smaller or lighter then a hammock/tarp.
>>
>>994693
It doesn't depend on what you're using. You only should be using quality gear that fits your criteria. I never said a tent is smaller, lighter, bigger or heavier. I said not significantly harder to set up than a hammock. Literally look at any ultralight tent, they will all be designed to be easy to set up. For example, the MSR Hubba.
>>
>>994703
That tent looks very nice, but fuck man it can get expensive. Hammock costs like $20, and I basically got it for free. Sucks being a student, I would buy good gear.
>>
>>994706
I remember when I was 16 too.
>>
>>994732
I'm 18 going to 19. Anyways even for people with eh paying jobs the equipment can get very expensive. Like almost $400 for a tent, $300 for a GPS, $100 for a decent pack, $100 for a good water filter, and etc.
>>
File: iPhone 8-23-15 114.jpg (370KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
iPhone 8-23-15 114.jpg
370KB, 1200x900px
>>992105
This.

No need to take retarded chances and that is a big retarded chance. People can hate on that opinion, but there's a hell of a lot of people who have splatted.
>>
>>995074
Have you ever had a "paying job" before in your life? It's not hard to set aside a few hundred dollars a month for gear or whatever else. Summer is coming up - that's 3 months before classes start up for you again. Literally any basic bitch labor job will let you earn $2000 a month at the lowest end.
>>
>>995225
No, I mostly make my money selling shit on craigslist. It's enough for me to buy whatever I need, and computer things, but definitely not enough for expensive hiking/camping equipment.
I do plan on trying to get a job, I really want some equipment and a revolver for camping.
I pretty much safe all the money that I get, so I can save much more then a couple of hundred. Honestly in a month or two I could probably have everything that I need.
>>
>>995229
>safe
save*
>>
>>995229
>selling shit
And I'm guessing that all that "shit" was bought for you by your parents, or with allowance money they gave you, and you sell it all for a loss.

>I do plan on trying to get a job
Wow, you sound really motivated.

>Honestly in a month or two I could probably have everything that I need.
Do you not understand the concept of working for a living? As soon as you move out of your parents' house, you're going to have to pay bills to other people for the rest of your life, feed yourself, pay for your medical expenses when you get older, and eventually rely on the money you saved up to live off of when you are too old to work anymore. Did mommy and daddy never explain this to you?
>>
>>995247
>And I'm guessing that all that "shit" was bought for you by your parents, or with allowance money they gave you, and you sell it all for a loss.
Nope, not the case.

>Wow, you sound really motivated.
Why thank you.

>Do you not understand the concept of working for a living? As soon as you move out of your parents' house, you're going to have to pay bills to other people for the rest of your life, feed yourself, pay for your medical expenses when you get older, and eventually rely on the money you saved up to live off of when you are too old to work anymore. Did mommy and daddy never explain this to you?
Obviously man. Did you not read what I said? I save most of my money and only buy what I need. My mom and dad barely do shit for me. With the money that I already have, plus two months of work I could probably get everything. What's the issue?
>>
>>995254
Where do you get your money, then, if you don't work?
>>
>>995265
Selling random shit. I find stuff that is worth selling (I have gotten lots of junk from family) and just selling it on craigslist or ebay. I've also helped people sell items for a small fee.
>>
>>995285
>Selling random shit. I find stuff that is worth selling
So you steal most of your merchandise? How do you just "find" things that have value to others? Is it stuff from your own possessions, i.e., things your parents bought for you?
>(I have gotten lots of junk from family)
Ah, I see. Just like I was saying, then. Your family is subsidizing your existence.
>I've also helped people sell items for a small fee.
Well that's the beginnings of working for money, but something tells me you're talking about under $20 a month here.
>>
>>995291
Okay, enough mister FBI. By junk I mean shit like DVD racks, old video game consoles, old computers, random shit from the thrift store.
They've given me junk that would have been going to the trash anyways, and I've always split it. (When that was the case, but sometimes they let me keep it all)
Yea, I've been thinking of setting up an actual Ebay business but I need to create something or do something unique. Have considered modding retro consoles, and fixing them for resell.
>>
>>995293
>By junk I mean shit like DVD racks, old video game consoles, old computers, random shit from the thrift store.
/lit/ is that way --------->
>>
>>995254
Man don't let these fools ruse you, it's perfectly acceptable to be cheap as fuck if you're not willing to get a real job, the real problem is people buying a $500 dollar gimmicky cuben fiber tent when they don't have the means. One day you'll realize you're sick of being a poor fuck when all your friends have good paying jobs and they want to do all this expensive shit, and then you'll get a job too.

Also it's pretty easy to be "ultralight" while frugal, since you can't impulse buy gimmicky gear you don't need. Forking over an extra 100-300$ to upgrade your gear to cuben fiber, titanium, overpriced 'ultralight' specialty retailers is usually not worth it to save a pound. Besides from doing that as long as you plan your gear and do research on what you buy you can get pretty light with cheaper shelters made from more durable materials.

I'm poor right now and it's kind of fun. I just ordered some stuff to make myself an ultralight backpack, will be $50 total. Literally going to rip the design off of a $250 dollar ultralight backpack and make it out of ikea bags. If you have a sewing machine and you know how to use it things can get real cheap.
>>
>>995300
Exactly! I am just trying to get the most out of my money, and not let it go to waste with meme tier shit. There aren't many job opportunities in my area, which is the only reason I haven't gone for one yet. As soon as I have the chance though I am taking it.

What items did you buy anon? That seems very interesting. If you can get your hands on some canvas then you'll be able to make a very nice backpack.

I would like to go somewhat lightweight but it doesn't have to be ultralight.
>>
>>991991
Aim for a tourist below.
>>
File: IMG_1739.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1739.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>991555
Definitely go hammock. In most cases, it's far lighter than a tent. I also have back problems and was at first turned off by sleeping in a hammock, but since the first time a little over a year ago, I've never gone back to the ground
>>
File: cranberry_hammock.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
cranberry_hammock.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>991962
It's made of cuben fiber. It's many times stronger than steel and the first time you hold something made of it, it will blow your mind how light it is. It's also extremely expensive, but it's literally the best that money can buy in a strength to weight ratio. I can only speak from experience, but both my tent and my tarp have been through extreme precipitation and worked very well
>>
>>994645
I definitely think it is. The damn thing is so light that I always bring it with me regardless because it adds nothing to my pack weight. My Blackbird arrives Wednesday. I can't wait to take it out this weekend
>>
>>995335

Praise me
>>
>>995306
>>995300

Please don't samefag.
>>
>>995074
I was sympathetic to your first post, but why the hell would you need a $300 GPS instead of a map you can print off for free from caltopo.com? What the hell do you mean $100 for a good water filter when you can get a Sawyer mini for $20? That aside, I graduated last year and have probably spent close to $3,000 upgrading all my equipment to the best possible. It's pretty awesome making a reasonable wage
>>
File: Sure.png (132KB, 1894x887px) Image search: [Google]
Sure.png
132KB, 1894x887px
>>995306
Don't even go there.
>>
>>995300
> cuben fiber
> not durable
> gimmicky

The shit is stronger than steel, but not durable. You're fucking stupid. It's okay to not like it (for the price or whatever reason), but people are going to call you out when you spew bullshit

http://lifeedited.com/cuben-fiber-stronger-than-steel-thin-as-paper/
>>
>>995353
Sorry quoted the wrong post >>995340
>>
>>995346
I am going to use map and compass also man, but it's also good to have a GPS. I don't plan on buying one right away, but it's definitely something I am going to need.

My friend recommended this filter and I like it
https://www.rei.com/product/830745/katadyn-hiker-pro-water-filter

I honestly don't want to start off with the best equipment ever.

I'll gradually upgrade as I see fit.
>>
>>995359
>https://www.rei.com/product/830745/katadyn-hiker-pro-water-filter
Why would you waste your money on that when this is a quarter of the price and just as good in terms of filtering abilities (not to mention smaller and lighter)?
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP103-Filtration-System/dp/B00MPH1LEU/

Also, you can download a section of map on the Google maps app to your smartphone for offline use. Then even if you are out of service, the GPS signal still works and you can use that instead of a devoted GPS unit
>>
>>995358
>nobody else besides high school hackers know about mobileposting!
It's OK that you are barely old enough to post on 4chan, but you don't have to flaunt it.
>>
File: Implying.png (195KB, 1904x1014px) Image search: [Google]
Implying.png
195KB, 1904x1014px
>>995362
>Why would you waste your money on that when this is a quarter of the price and just as good in terms of filtering abilities (not to mention smaller and lighter)?
The filter I linked has a pump. So I could filter 1 liter per minute, that's much quicker then a Sawyer.
Sawyer is great, and I might go with it. But it's something that I need to think about.

>Also, you can download a section of map on the Google maps app to your smartphone for offline use. Then even if you are out of service, the GPS signal still works and you can use that instead of a devoted GPS unit
Shoot did not know this. Does it have all the features that a handheld GPS has though? If so, then I'll just do that.

>>995364
>implying
Just end yourself my dude.
>>
>>995367
Why did you think that this screenshot would be impossible if you were mobileposting to reply to yourself? Stop projecting your stupidity onto others.
>>
>>995359
You need to rethink this. If you're broke you need to buy items that are cheaper, not to mention not waste your resources on some stupid mapping system when it would be better spent on shelter/sleepingbag/pad literally anything else. You can print that out online from nat geo for f r e e. That water filter is pointless af, costs 4x the amount of a sawyer, is giant and bulky as shit. This is peak stupidity and pretty much the opposite of ultralight.

>>995364
To be fair I stand by what I said in this >>995300 post, I can't be held responsible for other people not being smart enough to make good choices when it comes to spending money wisely.
>>
>>995368
Dude nobody is fucking same fagging, fucking shit.

>>995369
You're right anon.
>>
>>986239
I know this is bait, but where did the starvationmode meme even fucking come from? Like literally, who came up with that fucking beyond retarded idea.
>>
File: 20170416_182817.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170416_182817.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Heres some on topic OC since someone mentioned making their own pack out by copying a 250 dollar design. Posted in a /diy/ thread today too but i finished a few das ago. 11.8 oz without the hipbelt, the belt is about 3.5oz. Probably 50l if you include the space in the mesh pockets. This is V2, it's made of Xpac and Lycra, copies simple pack and some SWD designs, measurements for strap placement stolen from ULA ohm. Maybe 60 buck in materials and about 8 or 10 hrs of time including designing. I took sewing in HS for the easy A but it's actually a super useful skill. Feel free to ask questions
>>
File: 20170416_182811.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170416_182811.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>995433
>>
>>995421
Fat fucks who like to LARP as outdoorsmen.
>>
File: 20170416_182917.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170416_182917.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>995433
>>
File: 20170416_182946.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170416_182946.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>995433
Pretty proud of how it turned out
>>
>>983250
>>983250
>>983250

Just out of curiosity...why not get a regular bag? I use an Osprey bag and sure it's more money but it's durable and the adjustments and support make any equipment I actually do carry feel much more manageable. Anyone?
>>
>>995531
Average osprey pack weighs about 45oz, you can maybe strip a smaller one to 2lbs. Arc blast which is a full framed, full suspension pack with just as much adjustment, weighs 20oz and is made of waterproof material. So the zpacks is more than half the weight and waterproof, but slightly less rugged and costs 1/3 more. Osprey Exos for example, not a bad pack, comfy and light for an okay price. But not it's not ultralight and that's the reason people buy cottage gear. Oh another reason is zpacks and other cottage companies are USA small business that don't outsource their labor so a lot of people ee that as a benefit over the vietnamese/chinese ospreys and rei packs. Hope that answers what's goin through people's heads
>>
>>983250
Better throw in an iron skillet before you turn into a pussy.
>>
>>995433
That's a real nice bag anon! I hope mine turns out as good as yours. I'm planning on doing mine very similar minus the hipbelts, and an elastic pocket in the front instead of lycra.
>>
File: ultra_light_attempt.png (121KB, 986x704px) Image search: [Google]
ultra_light_attempt.png
121KB, 986x704px
tfw just found out I'm not actually ultralight

https://lighterpack.com/r/1uis6
>>
>>996716
What the hell is baggage?
>>
>>996716
want some tips on lightening up, or are you happy with what you got? i have a big list of tips that could save you close to 8lbs and only cost you maybe 20 bucks or so. but not sure if youre looking for criticisms or not
>>
>>996756
Post 'em anon. I'm not that guy but I could use the tips desu. No lighterpack for now because I don't have a scale but I swear my pack weighs a ton.
>>
File: 1490598668251.png (19KB, 385x275px) Image search: [Google]
1490598668251.png
19KB, 385x275px
>>996756>>996779
generally in order of appearance on the posted list:
-pack cover. dont pack it. buy a 4 pack of trash compactor bags at grocery store and put your shit you need dry in them in the bottom of your pack. 3.5oz saved, and dont have to pull anything out or try to since a flappy cover on.
-water proof stuff sacks (you have 3 listed). these are unnecessary. at most you maybe need 2, one for food, one for dry stuff. Recommend leaving both alps mnt and gobi behind. if you need water proofing for electronics, use ziplock baggies and double up the important shit/stick it into the compactor bag. i generally preach not to take stuff sacks, your entire pack is just one big stuff sack, so you dont need a bunch of additional little ones inside it. 6oz saved
-Water shoes/camp shoes. unnecessary, but if you need some simple thongs are lighter, or crocs, but crocs are bulky A F. Water shoes that you might wear once in a 4 day trip?? that is 2/3 a lb. leave them behind. 10.75oz
-Pants. recommend wearing shorts as often as you can bear it and switching to just a pair of long johns or leggings for night wear or when its windy. potential to save about 4oz here for maybe 15 bucks worth of leggings, and will be warmer at night.
-Wool Shirt, list as worn instead of carried, 6.37 oz
-Rain Jacket. I would consider looking into Frog Toggs Dry ducks and just bring the jacket out of the suit. They are like 15 bucks at any walmart in the US. gore tex is heavy and will wet out and be even heavier when soaked. Frog toggs are impermiable and wont wet out, but still airy enough that they feel well vented. would save you 9oz.
-Survival kit. whats in it? If a shelter, sleeping bag, two stoves, huge knife, saw and a water filter wont keep you alive then this wont either, throw it out 4oz easy
-Bear horn and go pro. leave behind. Go pro shoots shit quality compared to most smart phones and if you plan on vlogging the audio will be unusable from a GP. 8.70 oz saved
CONT
>>
File: 1490579238509.png (61KB, 250x255px) Image search: [Google]
1490579238509.png
61KB, 250x255px
>>996797
cont
-Stoves, pick, you dont need 2. you can make a fire if your single stove duds out
-If you can go without the yuge knoife, a standard swiss army mini has scissors, tweezers, tooth pick, blade, file/screwdriver. Far more versitile and saves you 7oz. Cost about 7 bucks at wally world
-Take either your headlamp or your torch. Not both. Save 8oz
-Mega Nalgene, swap for 2 (1L) smart water bottles from gas station. These will thread into the sawyer filter. A flip top sports lid will work to back flush your filter. 4 bucks. save 6oz
-Saw....really m8? 10.79 OZ

grand total weight saved: something like 6 lbs just by stuff left at home and a couple cheap swaps.
spent: $40? maybe

(minor shill incoming)If you want to spend about 200-300 bucks you can save another 3-4 lbs or so by getting a pack that weighs 2lbs instead of 5 and getting a lighter hammock. MLD prophet is under 200 bucks and is an excellent choice for pack. Ula Omh 2.0 is $210, but the frame is fragile carbon fiber. Excellent pack right at 2lbs, removable hipbelt with pockets unlike MLD.
>>
>>996750
My backpack and stuff sacks

>>996756
Nah, the things you'll preach to me are probably stuff along the lines of use trash bags and zip lock bags for everything
>>
File: IMG_1647.jpg (1MB, 1540x2040px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1647.jpg
1MB, 1540x2040px
>>996797
Well, I guess I was partially correct. The water shoes are for this weekend only. The forecast is 80% rain Saturday, and 90% rain Sunday, and I have to ford a river 4 times. Pants are just in case/at night if it gets cold. Believe me, during the day I only wear shorts and a knee brace. I hiked Zion this winter in a pair of shorts and nothing else. Since I was only planning on wearing pants at night, I guess I can switch out for leggings.

The rest of your recommendations are pretty good and I had realized all of them. I guess the point of my post was that I thought I was a lot lighter than I actually am (or rather, until I had weighed everything individually). If the weather isn't just as shitty, next weekend I'll make a real attempt
>>
>>996864
kek'd. the plastic bags seem gay but make an actual difference.

I used to pack exactly like you man. Even the saw. 20lbs doesnt seam like its all that heavy on its own, but once you have full bottles of water and all your food it can become 35lbs very easily. I dont go ultralight to be pretentious or elite, i just got sick of having to carry a heavy ass pack and being sore from it, only being able to max out at like 10-13 miles a day. once we stopped carrying as much my wifes knee probs went away and we could hike 15-20 miles a day comfortably.
>>
>>996750
it's all emotional, don't worry about it
>>
If you want to be ultralight, why not just get a bivy?
>>
File: cw-map-philippines.jpg (45KB, 607x1034px) Image search: [Google]
cw-map-philippines.jpg
45KB, 607x1034px
>>994685
Pic related, our beaches are very comfy. Google Moalboal, Kalanggaman, Malapascua, Daan Bantayan, and Oslob just to name the well known tourist accessible areas.
Here's where I slept for 2 nights just last week >>993451
Our mountains aren't something to write home about, but they're still pretty nice given how if you follow most trails you will end up at some nice waterfall or beach.
My hammock wraps itself in its own bag, I usually just tie it to my backpack and sometimes if I have enough room (not carrying food), I can fit it in.

It's a great place really, the places I've mentioned can be reached in 2-4 hours from the metro. Cost of living is pretty low as well, but yeah as a wageslave I still do grind my day in the office and always look forward to holidays, though at the same time far more people have it worse, at the very least I get to enjoy being /out/ from time to time.
>>
>>995225
>>995247
>>995265
>>995291
>>
>>997028
Because bivys suck ass newfag.
>>
As a lightfag it's hilarious to me camping with my comfy-camping friends
>go on a 5day hike
>they make fun of me saying "you're totally not gonna make it on that
>after first day they're exhausted and 2 of the 5 have bad blisters on their heels and toes despite their amazing 300 dollar boots
>don't even bring tape for the blisters so I'm lmaoing every time they wince
>my campsite is ready in 2 minutes and I can start making dinner while they're still helping eachother get their stuff ready
>by the time I have a fire going I go help them with their overcomplicated tents
>>
>>983213
Fuck UL, pussy, grow a backbone

Jk bump
Thread posts: 185
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.