[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trip by myself

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: olympic_national_forest.jpg (236KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
olympic_national_forest.jpg
236KB, 640x480px
Is it a bad idea for me to book a ticket to Seattle in mid-May to do some backpacking alone? I've never been to the Pacific Northwest (live in VA) but I've always wanted to see what that area of the country is like.
I enjoy hiking and am in decent shape but haven't been camping in years. I have some gear like a backpack, tent, backpacking sleeping bag, but would need a lot more stuff.
I'd like to mostly just do 1-2 nights at a time, then drive elsewhere since it seems like there are a lot of forests around there. Hope to start in Seattle and end up in NorCal.
I've never done something like this or even planned a trip alone, but I'm hoping if I get the ticket it will force me to figure stuff out in the intervening time.
Also if anyone is from the area and has tips about weather, where to go etc. it'd be appreciated.
>>
Bump, I think the board was screwed up when I originally posted this.
>>
>>984356
probably. fucking april fools.

just let someone responsible know where you're going and when to expect you back. if you're on the peninsula there's nothing scarier than black bears and bees.
>>
I almost always go /out/ by myself.
Like >>984380 said just make sure someone knows what you're doing and when you expect to be back. Don't know about the west coast in particular but black bears usually aren't a problem if you have a proper canister for your food and have something on your backpack to make noise while walking.

I also pee on the trees around my camp site to mark my territory... no idea if it helps or not but I sleep better that way.
>>
>>983082
If you are wanting to go /out/ alone, in an area unfamiliar to you, stick to the National Parks. Since you are interested in Washington State, head out to Olympia National Park. Hike the trails, camp in the campground, see what there is to see. And you can be comfortable being alone. I have hiked and camped several National Parks alone. I have met some super cool people on occasion and have been totally alone on other occasions.

Have fun OP, book the flight, go see the sights.

You might be better off waiting until June for better weather though
>>
>>984688
Peeing around your camp actually attracts bears
>>
>>984688
>Don't know about the west coast in particular but black bears usually aren't a problem
yeah, that was my point. don't surprise them, don't run, and be assertive but not aggravating and you'll be fine.
>>
>>984689
Good advice, thanks anon!
Is the weather pretty tolerable still in June? I guess it's probably pretty temperate then, I'm used to the east coast where it's in the 90s with extreme humidity.
>>
British columbian here. All i can tell you is unless you're high enough in elevation, the temperate rainforest here is some of the nastiest shit you'll be in.
>>
>>985914
Washingtons backcountry is much more developed then BC's. Chances are most the the trails OP will find himself on will be fairly trodden, and not a huge bushwack.
>>
>>984966
june is good for WA. still a little rainy but not bad. try the cascades desu, peninsula is nice but the mountain lakes are goat

glhf
>>
>>984380
>black bears
every god damn time with this meme
>>
>>987180
What is this meme you obsess over?
>>
>>984966
if you wait till july august you might actually feel right at home climatewise. Obviously when you're in the mountains its pretty mild, but down in the valleys its been getting pretty damn hot at the height of summer, we are in a rain forest after all.
>>
>>987405
I'm thinking I'll go early June now, I think the temps will be pretty comfortable then, maybe a little chilly at night.
>>
>>983082

Seattle is disgusting, rather fly in to Portland and head up into WA that way.

No, I've lived in WA for 30 yrs, go camping alone all the damb time.

Only wild life I'd be of any concern about is cougars, just cause they're ninjas of the forest. Other than that fuck the bears, coyotes, etc.
>>
>>987412
you should be fine with like a 30 degree bag up in the mountains around that time. If it gets colder its no problem layering up.
>>
>>987412
I have two weeks off after the 15th of June, and a Delta airlines gift certificate. Motherfucker I want to join you. Your trip sounds like fun.
>>
>>987449
I'm thinking I'll do a couple days in WA, then drive down to Oregon and fly home out of Portland. I'd like to see the Mt Hood National Forest. Is it worth making the drive down to Crater Lake?
>>
>>987573
Crater Lake is nice but there's less /out/ stuff to do there than other places here

Instead of going to Crater Lake I'd advise you to go to the Bend/Sisters area and do some backpacking around Three Sisters
>>
Fly into Seattle. Rent a car and check out the city. Camp at Mt. Rainier. Drive to Port Angeles, stay at deer park. Check out Lake Crescent. Camp at Rialto beach. Camp at Hoh rain forest.
Camp near Quinault. If you're going to Northern California, I would stay on the 101. Check out Thor's Well. Check out Redwood Natl Park.

If you decide on going more inland in Oregon, I would suggest Silver Falls State Park. Sisters/Bend area is nice also. Smith Rock is cool. I enjoyed Crater Lake too.
>>
>>987180
my point was that there's nothing scary there, you fucking triggered faggot.
>>
>>988630
I'd really like to make it to Redwood, but I think it's just too far a drive, and I'm only taking a week trip. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them!
>>
>>984688
I'm from the NW. Bears aren't a problem; I've yet to see anyone bring bear bells or bear spray in all my years here. I tend to hike off the beaten track.

But of course, know what to do before you encounter one. They are mostly shy and will back away; we don't have aggressive bears like in Cali or the Rockies.
>>
File: IMG_3616.jpg (3MB, 3456x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3616.jpg
3MB, 3456x3456px
>>987573
I'm an Oregonian who've hiked all over Oregon and Washington. I've been to Crater Lake and Mt Hood. Trust me, Mount Hood is not worth your time. Washington has far more impressive mountains; and the mountains are friendlier to hikers. Mt Hood is a winter ski kind of place; not as great as say, Mount Rainier National Park.

As someone whose hiked everywhere in the NW, I highly recommend Mt. Rainier. Mt Rainier is hands down the best park in the PNW (even better than Olympic, imo). At Rainier, you can hike high on the mountain or deep in the rainforest valleys.

My second recommendation is North Cascades National Park (specifically Artist Point, in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie NF). You'll find rugged peaks that rival any in the world. It is considered the most "rugged" mountain range in the lower 48, and is covered in over 300 glaciers (far more than Montana's Glacier NP, ironically).

Lastly, go in July or August! The mountains are snowed in in June; you won't be able to see much of them. There's nothing more jaw dropping than Washington's grand glaciated peaks.
>>
>>988780
But if you do decide Oregon, then I highly recommend the Three Sisters/Bend area. The lava flows are pretty neat, but don't go into Oregon expecting massive glaciers or giant/rugged mountains. It's more flat and the peaks appear lower.

If for Olympic NP, then you have to check out Ruby Beach and the Hoh Rainforest. Spectacular there.
>>
>>990526
Thanks anon!
>>
>>990526

Pay heed to this Anon, they speak the truth. Go to Rainier.

Note that North Cascades National Park is mostly wilderness bisected by SR 20. There aren't a ton of visitor facilities like Rainier has. Artists Point is the exception, and it's waaaaay up north at the end of SR 542. Completely worth the drive, Mount Baker and Shuksan are spectacular. A smidge less crowded than Rainier, too.

I also recommend dayhiking up Cascade Pass and Sahale arm, which is up there somewhere. Even the view from the trailhead parking lot is beautiful.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.