[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi everyone, I have been working on the flower beds in my new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 20170402_094949.jpg (5MB, 1547x2842px) Image search: [Google]
20170402_094949.jpg
5MB, 1547x2842px
Hi everyone, I have been working on the flower beds in my new home, and the prior owners had neglected them, so there are many weeds springing up. One of them is in the picture, and I can't identify it, but it has come up the most and fastest. Is this a form of wild carrot? And if I transplant the future ones that spring up to my garden, would I be able to harvest and eat them? Thanks for your help.
>>
>>982957
Probably parsnip. Pinch a leaf, it should smell like carrot. 2nd year growth will be too woody to eat, but they will produce flowers and seed. 1st year plants are the ones you eat.

See: >>979331
>>
>>982958
Thanks!
>>
>>982957
Looks like parsley to me anon.
>>
>>982962
I was reading about wild carrots because the leaf shape was so different from parsnip, and they are a member of the parsley family, but apparently there are poisonous species that appear very similar, so I might not chance it..
>>
>>982965
Yeah. Water Hemlock is a death sentence.
>>
>>982967
That's what I read. So I think I will just keep discarding it, since it's so early in the season, and I can't tell the difference well enough.
>>
>>982974
If it smells like carrots it's probably ok

Good to be safe tho.
>>
File: Identification.jpg (2MB, 2560x3128px) Image search: [Google]
Identification.jpg
2MB, 2560x3128px
>>982965
>>982967
>>982974
Poison Hemlock (Conium maculatum) and Queen Anne's Lace (Daucus carota) smell nothing alike when you crush up some leaves. QAL smells like carrots. Those leaves are close, but don't match poison hemlock.

The problem of poisoning comes from people harvesting a shit load of carrot family plants and not testing each one, only to have 1 taproot of poison hemlock mixed in with them. Or, they are completely ignorant.

>>982962
>>982965
The best cues are root color and leaf odor. The closest parsley to the OP's image is "Hamburg parsley" but the leaves don't match, though their root is big and carrot-like. Parsnips on the other hand have a huge range of leaves from carrot-like to big leaves. QAL has carrot-like leaves only, but the taproot too thick in the OP. Though, I can say that if QAL is cultivated in good garden soil, the taproots will get pretty big.

Thus, it is more than likely a parsnip or QAL. Regardless, the larger one is too old to be eaten. If replanted it will produce a big white flower, that all carrot-family plants produce. Do a pinch-smell test.
>>
>>982995
Awesome, thank you all for your help, I will replant the next ones I find and do a pinch smell test.
>>
>>982957
don't do it anon
there are several different look alikes that kill differently- couple hours n painless vs dead in 20-40min vs days bleeding out of places

i swear, the guy that first cultivated parsley/carrots had to have the biggest balls on the planet
>>
>>982967
pretty sure hemlock is what they used to execute socrates
>yfw all the paintings of him laying down holding a goblet are actually midway through his execution
>>
>>983285
That was poison made from the tree, not the annuals/perennials. The smaller plants were probably name after the tree, since toxicity is the most important feature.
>>
>>983287
>>983285
>>982967
>poison made from the tree

The Hemlock tree (Tsuga genus) isn't poisonous I use the needles to make tea in the winter. If you made a tea from the bark, it would be full of tannins, which wouldn't be a good idea for drinking. Good for tanning though. Too much bark tea would cause all manner of problems, but none like what Socrates experienced. I don't think Tsuga was even in Europe at the time. It is only in America and Asia, with Europe only getting a few instances of it int he modern age.

Water hemlock (Cicuta genus) and Poison hemlock (Conium genus) are all poisonous.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.