[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

has anyone climbed mt kilimanjaro? im wondering how difficult

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: kili.jpg (735KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
kili.jpg
735KB, 1920x1280px
has anyone climbed mt kilimanjaro? im wondering how difficult it would be for someone in really mediocre shape (eg, i smoke a lot and spend too much time on the computer, but i could easily run 5 km in under 20 min)
>>
>>982949
As a fellow smoker, let me just tell you that altitude fucking kills people like us. At 13,000', I could barely breath after walking 100yds slightly uphill.

Go move to the mountains and acclimate to the thin air for a few months and maybe you will have a chance.
>>
>>982956
>>982949
Hold your breath when you exercise. You can take 2 breathes then hold 30 seconds and repeat. Hold it longer as you get better at it. That's how I used to train for competitive cross country running. Then during the race I'd breath normally.
>>
>>982949
>5km in under 20 minutes
>doubt.jpg
>>
>>982956
yeah thats what im worried about. i only smoke around 8 cigarettes a day and still go to the gym and for jogs, so i dont feel like i ever have trouble breathing, but wouldnt have any clue what its like at high altitude. the trek seems to be relatively flat though and i see there are 60-70 year olds doing it
>>
>>982970
Not OP but its pretty easy. SUPER easy actually. I can go sub 18:00.
>>
>>982982
>8 cigs
Ehh, that's not bad. Better than 60.

Go for it.
>>
>>982970
10mins per 1 mile/1.6km is an easy 6mph/9.656kmh jog.
20min for 5km/3.1miles distance is only 9.32mph/15 kmh.

At 10mph/16.09kmh you can run a 6min mile/1.6km.

The average running speed, of a healthy adult, is 10mph/16.09 to 15mph/24.14kmh.
>>
>>982994
>60 fags a day

If you didn't smoke, how many fishing lures would you be able to buy and not fish with per year?
>>
>>983009
I could easily lease a new Benz if I quit smoking.
>>
>>983014
Then you should probably quit smoking.

>>982949
Hey OP, the mountain's name begins with KILL A MAN. Quit smoking first, there's goals other than mountain climbing you need to tackle before starting mountaineering.
>>
>>983014
Smoking is not bad for you keep doing it.
>>
File: IMG_2181.jpg (555KB, 1935x1290px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2181.jpg
555KB, 1935x1290px
>>983031
Nobody likes a quitter
>>
>>983032
Is that your /edc/?
>>
>Buy ugly stik gx2 in medium action
>It's significantly worse than my $7 medium rod's action
wat
>>
>>982949
when mountaineers were first testing out oxygen tanks, another group in the expedition chain smoked, thinking tobacco helped with lung capacity. The chain smoker did better than those using bottled oxygen.

>historical fact
>>
>smoker
>living at 7000 feet
>first week acclimating
>threw up after each cig
Now im hiking steep grades while puffing a fag
You'll be fine
>>
>>983036
>anecdote
anecdotes are useless
>>
File: IMG_0013.jpg (3MB, 4005x2600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0013.jpg
3MB, 4005x2600px
>>983034
Told you.

>>983033
No, that's my overnight pack. Pic related is my EDC.
>>
>>983096
You were desperately trying to get trips in that thread, weren't you?
>>
>>983152
Trips? Wut?

And remember...
>>888888 was me proclaiming Mepps a best
>>
File: Untitled.png (340KB, 549x376px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
340KB, 549x376px
>>983162
>Trips? Wut?
>>
File: IMG_2157.jpg (601KB, 1935x1290px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2157.jpg
601KB, 1935x1290px
>>983163
Oh, iirc I was funposting on /b/ in some EDC thread so just opened up the first stupid thread on Page 1 for the pic
>>
>>983061
>useless
stop shilling for the weakening of the human

>>983045
this, except throwing up is optional
>>
>>982949
If you smoke, altitude sickness will affect you less than non-smokers, if you use a nicotine replacement system while you're climbing. Your body is already used to the effects of hypoxia as a result of carbon monoxide tying up your red blood cells.
>>
>>983288
>stop shilling for the weakening of the human

Interesting view on that. It implies that "normal" people's experiences and matters don't count against "science" people or those in control.
>>
>>983288
dubs.
>>
>>982949
Been there, done that.

Honestly, I think you'll be fine if you start preparing about one month in advance.

Altitude sickness is largely genetically conditioned (and even then, you can take acetazolamide to reduce it)

Personally, I come from /fit/ and found that, if anything, all the extra muscle mass I am carrying along was a bit of a nuisance, since it consumes a fair bit of oxygen (which is pretty scarce up there).

Just do cardio for a month (I'd alternate long distance running and hiit for building endurance and VO2max) and I think you have a chance as good as anyone else.

Pd: I can highly recommend it; you will hate yourself while on that mountain, but it sure is a great memory! Then again, consider that it is actually a super expensive experience, and that you can climb taller mountains in the Andes for way less money! Just some food for thought.
>>
>>983032
>goggles

You sweat like a pig don't you?
>>
>>983596
Pretty much this. Climbed it ten years ago. Acclimatize properly, do cardio, pack some warm clothes that breathe properly, proper shoes and gloves, a comfy backpack and warm sleeping bag, and you're good to go.

Also, half of /out/ will hate me for this, but use trekking poles. Especially downhill. Also useful during the final ascent (which is pretty long by the way) as it's mostly loose scree.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.