[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Back to Basics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

"The Three Essential Tools of Humanity are Fire, Blade Technology, and Language. These are tools we use to make the environment useful beyond our physicality. As long as we retain these three basic technologies, we will remain Alive and Human".

Is there a flaw in this statement? What else would we need to survive if everywhere were /out/?
>>
File: GBA_SP.jpg (25KB, 311x320px) Image search: [Google]
GBA_SP.jpg
25KB, 311x320px
>>982605
My GameBoy
>>
autism
>>
>>982605
I'd say cordage is as important as blades. You need to be able to use both to really make the most of bladed tools
>>
>>982652
Production of cordage is almost always dependant on blade technology.
>>
If you have a nice sickle blade you really also need a hammer
>>
>>982661
You mean a rock or limb?
>>
>>982659
Twisted grass, twisted pretty much anything makes cordage, no cutting required.
>>
>>982666
Twistable Grass is only available in very specific locales. Our teeth are useful for rendering and separating some fibers, but this is very much dependant on the species of flora and fauna available in any given place. Most often, the harvesting of these resources is dependent upon the three stated means of survival.
>>
you need to boil everything down to a few essentials because of autism
you can't, kys
>>
>>982605
>The Three Essential Tools of Humanity are Fire, Blade Technology, and Language

>fire
https://youtu.be/EMbWDRzqNhc

>blade technology
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-monkeys-make-tools-20161019-snap-story.html

>language
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_language

>As long as we retain these three basic technologies, we will remain Alive and Human
Nope.
>>
File: OP_explained.jpg (40KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
OP_explained.jpg
40KB, 460x288px
>hurr durr What Makes Us Human?

Language isn't a tool; it's an innate faculty.

Many other animals and even plants communicate.
A case can be made that these are also languages
>>
>>982890
Find any instance where a primate welds all three, concurrently. You won't.

I'm not saying these tools make us better than nature. Together, they simply allow us to break down our environment into pieces that we can use. These tools have allowed us to become quite the successful biomass.

Threre are organisms that don't use tools, and are much more successful than us because their physical forms evolve rapidly enough to keep up with environmental change. Insects even have us beat in terms of total biomass. They've been around significantly longer than us, as well.
>>
>>982934
Innate faculty is a professor who can't be fired, due to tenure.

Never said we had a monopoly on communication. Bees do it very well. If we all had innate hive minds our words wouldn't lead to war so often.

If a human baby is raised to adulthood by wolves, then he will be able to communicate with wolves. He will not be able to make bladles, start fires, or contemplate cosmologies. He might stumble upon one of these, but when he perishes his new found knowledge dies with him.
>>
>>982890
>>982934
>animal communication
>comparable to human languages

That's like trying to say that a bird accidently shitting on your car is on par to the Manhattan Project in terms of missle-based warfare
>>
>>982968
Birds don't have control over their bowels, but I'm pretty sure the bastards do that on purpose.
>>
>>982973
their aim is too good for it to be accidental
>>
>>982867
Right. And you can't boil without fire.
>>
File: too_stupid_to_google.jpg (75KB, 809x425px) Image search: [Google]
too_stupid_to_google.jpg
75KB, 809x425px
>>982955
My point: it's a faculty not a tool.
>>
Other animals can communicate, but have no way of expressing novel ideas or hypotheticals. No animal knows how to communicate past or future tense, only present tense. They have no true way of creating abstract ideas with their language. Their language is not discrete like human languages in the way that it is composed of parts (words) that can be combined uniquely in nearly infinite ways. So yes, animals can communicate, but they can't express new ideas unless they show them because they lack a symbolic, discrete language.

This discussion reminds me of a study I read about while taking a dumb anthropology elective about a monkey they taught to lie. The researchers would set out a big pile of bananas in front of one little monkey and they monkey would get all excited and the other, bigger, monkeys would see this and eat all the bananas before he got a chance because he was small. Over time, the monkey learned that if he didn't communicate his excitement initially then he could have all the bananas he wanted and then later would communicate about the bananas to the other monkeys. Researchers taught a monkey to decieve to get what it wants.
>>
>>982666
Yeah, but could you make usable cordage from what is in your environment right now? I've fucked around with primitive tech just out of curiosity, and the conclusion that I came to is that those cavemen were pretty fucking smart. It takes a lot of specialized expertise to turn a rock into a proper blade or to make natural cordage for a bow drill. You could take a lot of those old cave men, drop them into the Canadian wilderness where humans haven't fucked up the wildlife situation too bad, and most of them would survive. The same cannot be said for us. It's not that we can't learn, but that there is a lot of shit to learn that has been replaced by modern technology.
>>
>>982605
Shelter, you fucking african tribesman. I live in the northern hemisphere with the rest of the industrious whites.
>>
>>983043
But you wouldn't live there were it not for the basic trinity. How do you make shelter?

Again, it is possible to do so in very specific environments, without the use of a basic assemblage. But these few examples are not illustrative of what has allowed us to exploit the wide range of conditions that were not a variable in forming our biological selves. The list of species which utilize shelter building is long and goes well beyond vertibrate forms.
>>
>>983030
You are not born with the ability to communicate abstractions or define sentience. These things are learned, and require a non-pysical means of transmission in order to survive from one generation to the next. Language is more than just an ordered series of sounds which refer to the situation at hand. Our language actually allows us to define and shape reality in a way useful to us, whether we realize this as individuals or not.
>>
>>983030
Tool

1. Something that is used to assist with the modification of an object or situation.

2. Something that is used to create or destroy.

3. Slang synonym for the males sexual reproduction whatsit.

4. Someone who does seemingly silly things; often used as a term of endearment, but not always!

I am a tool because I have been used to:
Improve someones ego;
Distract them from the mediocrity of their own existance;
Make someone else jealous;
To improve someones elses relationship (how bizarre);
To get them a valentines day present (this year)

For love.
For happiness.
For laughter.

To do everything for them, and in return:
To accept all of the guilt.
To hold all of the pain.
To take all of the blame.
(It was never a game).

A good tradesman respects his tools!!

A Hammer is a tool both used to create and to destroy.

My penis is a somewhat rusty tool I must admit (only from lack of use!!).

I hit my penis with a hammer while making pancakes (as you do)
That sure modified the fuck out of both the objects involved and the situation:
I created a lot of pain
I destroyed the pancake batter (all over the floor), and my willy - must admit i chipped a bit off of the hammer handle too!!

I hit my tool with a tool; I am such a tool

I do not regret being a tool - my penis however has a somewhat different (slanted) view on the subject
>>
>>983030
You're an idiot for ignoring his point that abstract language isn't innate. Dumb-bell.
>>
Why does it even matter to you?
>>
>>983118
You're not welcome here kiddo. Run along to your mom's huge tits
>>
>>983124
Obviously, some of us have not been tought proper tool use.
>>
>>983118
I'm writing on a phone. I'm at work, getting paid. Look out for yourself.
>>
>>983115
Well, we talk alot about gear here: Comfort levels, necessities, what you need and what you don't. I thought it might be beneficial for alot of us, including myself, to try to define a starting point from which other related matters can be discussed. It matters because the unexamined life is not worth discussion.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.