[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ approved careers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 28

File: 25308796.jpg (259KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
25308796.jpg
259KB, 1024x681px
What are some /out/ approved careers?

So far I've got:
- Forestry / forest management
- Back-country ski guide
- Hunting guide
- Park service
- Fishing deckhand
>>
>>982076
Any career that gives you the free time and enough money to pursue your /out/ hobbies

Forestry/forest management is more about how much lumber you can get per acre than /out/
>>
>>982076
Replace backcountry ski guide with climbing guide, trekking guide, whitewater rafting guide etc. Lots of different guiding you could do with some experience.
>>
>>982076
Doing fieldwork for biology and geology research is pretty /out/.

And some countries' border guards spend a lot of time innawoods.
>>
I'm studying to become an Audiologist atm, and on the side I wanna take patients with new or improved hearing (hearing aids and/or cochlear implants) on field recording expeditions.

It takes /in/ /out/
>>
File: i-7QqXwDF-L.jpg (53KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-7QqXwDF-L.jpg
53KB, 338x600px
>>982080
>Any career that gives you the free time and enough money to pursue your /out/ hobbies
this
As awesome as getting paid to do a hobby sounds, once that happens it stops being a hobby and starts being a job.

Should somewhat enjoy your day job, but work and play need to stay separate.

>also, fuck lightning
>>
I work as an EMT on a 48 on/96 off (hours) schedule. You usually spend a few of those days here and there trying to nab up easy overtime or running a side business or whatever but it's not too hard to plan it all out and have a bunch of mountain bike days or a nice hiking/backpacking trip. If I take two days off with PTO I get 10 off consecutively. We're also very rural so sometimes our calls are sorta /out/ and you get to do some problem solving.

The pay as 'just' an EMT sucks though so you won't have awesome gear immediately. Gotta move up to Paramedic to really have a career and preferably you're able to go Flight Medic. I have an extremely unusual career track in that I was able to move in to a Field Supervisor position as an EMT...but, I'm still going to get my Paramedic cert.

You can make more at a fire dept., but they only nominally give a shit about patient care even though it's 90% of their job. At least most of the departments I've worked with. I have several coworkers who ditched fire jobs to come work here just because those guys are asshats to be around and are way too enamored with the 2 fires they fight a year vs. the 5000 EMS calls they run.

Anyways, either way you go it's a really inexpensive field to get started in, you can always find a job anywhere as an EMT, and if you work your way in to the right agency you get tons of your life to yourself. Just don't get stuck at AMR your whole life or you'll want to commit suicide in the most expedient way possible.
>>
>>982146
Also, >>982129 and other posters are spot on. I know a woman who was a timber cruiser for a while, which I always thought sounded bitchin', but it ate up all of her summers working with no free time til winter and then she just wanted to be at home for more than a day. And when she was out she really didn't have time to stop and enjoy herself.

I'd probably enjoy it for like a season because of the solitude but I wouldn't consider something like that long term after hearing her story.

Actually I can see it in my field too. In my starting years I really enjoyed volunteering as a firefighter but after doing the job I can't bring myself to volunteer anymore because I just want to be distant from it on my off days. I actually have a part time fire job as well now (I know, I know, I just bashed on them...) and frankly I don't really like it the way I used to, even getting paid.
>>
become a teacher in a small town and make use of dem holidays
>>
>>982076
Firefighting of course
>>
>>982166
Teachers are cancerous parasites who corrupt the youth and not /out/ approved. They all need to be gassed
>>
>>982121
Hey, tell me how to fix tinnitus.
>>
Pedagogy.

i get payed to play tag. tell stories, cut up fruit and drink juice.

plenty of free time. but back to school at the moment, .. so even more free time
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (242KB, 1302x744px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
242KB, 1302x744px
>>982076
I'm a kindergartner in a so called "Waldkindergarten" (forest kindergarten). I might not be in the deepest woods of all woods that ever wooded but at least I can call a sustainibly forestred piece of land my workspace to lead the next generation of people to a better understanding of nature.
>>
>>982166
Correct answer
>>
What about jobs that are /out/ related but not necessarily outdoors? Something like taxidermist, outdoor magazine editor, outdoor gear sales rep, bait & tackle shop owner, etc? Are these /out/ approved jobs?
>>
>>982208
-high five-
>>
>>982225
No. The only out approved job is a NEET
>>
>>982166
>thought the 3 best reasons to be a teacher are June, July, and August
>become teacher
>have to teach summer school
>still get big breaks in January, June, and August
>>982193
I teach science classes at community college
How am I corrupting the youth?
>>
>>982121
cochlear implants are fucking scary

https://auditoryneuroscience.com/prosthetics/noise_vocoded_speech
>>
>>982129
Right here, that's what I would advise to do to anyone looking for a job to be out as much as possible:

teacher/physician/public servant/ in a rural area

plenty of money for the price of life there with the possibility to be out a lot...
>>
>>982463

>teacher/physician/public servant

Sucking on the govt tit friggin parasites
>>
>>982466
why are you so butthurt?
>>
>>982466
t. neet
>>
>>982193
>>982434
>>982466
Hi /r/the_donald!
>>
>>982434
When was the last time you took a science class?
In college, they are specialized by subject
For example, in a chemistry class, there is not usually a reason to talk about climate change or gender reassignment therapy
>>
Organic vegetable farmhand
>no chemical bullshit
>bring home funny looking veg
>come home at a reasonable hour
>already dirty, may as well go /out/
>forage for edibles
>BBQ until sunset
>sleep like a fucking baby
>rinse and repeat
>>
Is anyone on /out/ working in forestry / silviculture? Would you recommend it?
>>
>>982492
Interesting that you acknowledge being required to believe scientism
>>
>>982537
You realize that most if not all profitable organic farms uses pesticides that are "organic certified" in the usa
>>
>>982197
There's a yuge amount of research in that but as of yet it's still unfixable. There are hearing aids that can be tuned to emit a filtered noise that will mask your tinnitus. obviously if you don't need a hearing aid in the first place this isn't the best solution. run a fan at night, it helps a lot of people.

also depending on the specific cause of your tinnitus there's some small hope that it'll stop someday. generally the healthier you keep your hearing the better off you'll be, as tinnitus tends to get a lot worse if you damage your hearing more. everyone's hearing decreases with age but def keep your ears away from loud and sustained noise. sorry friend :[

>>982457
yeah they are. there was a dude at the pub last night with a cochlear implant. i wanted to strike up conversation with him about it but decided that would be wicked annoying.

also there's a free app called "AngelSim" which simulates various cochlear implant designs in different configurations. also simulates different types of hearing losses (basically EQ but also dynamic range, recruitment, and critical band dysfunctions).
>>
Dont any of you retards know what a trailworker is?
>>
File: geeps_kh.png (23KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_kh.png
23KB, 261x195px
>>982743
that's not a career anon. those are weekend warriors and volunteers.
>>
>>982734
>Scientism is a term used to describe the universal applicability of the scientific method and approach, and the view that empirical science constitutes the most authoritative worldview or the most valuable part of human learning—to the exclusion of other viewpoints
I'm not sure where they said that in their post
>>982748
Some trail crews are paid
I've talked to several who do trail crew in the summer, and work at ski resorts in the winter
>>
>>982076
Farmer
>>
>>982760

Scientism is to science what a Ponzi scheme is to an investment.

https://medium.com/incerto/the-intellectual-yet-idiot-13211e2d0577
>>
>>982076
>What are some /out/ approved careers?
geologist
>>
>>982708
Forester here.

It pays very well and I spend 50% of my time out in the bush. I will try and move towards planning, GIS roles which are a bit more relaxed. Currently a harvesting and haulage supervisor/manager which can be very stressful.

Pros: Outdoors, keys for parks and forests, 4x4 driving every day, spend all day looking at maps and exploring cool forest spots, good pay.

Cons: Gotta deal with truck drivers and machine operators who are mostly highschool dropout idiots.
>>
>>982208
Bitchin. I am considering a similar teaching opportunity in the states, but it is for high school students.
>>
>>982208
You're a kindergartner? 4chan is 18+.
>>
>>983422

Is there a more stressful and unfulfilling teaching position than in an American Highschool?
>>
>>983478
It's an outdoor STEM school, sounds right up my alley. It is mot a traditional school model.
However, my teaching practicum was a marine bio class at an agricultural high school. Inspiring kids about biology and their environment was fucking awesome.
>>
Programmer here.

Decent money and a lot of free time. Any career that allows that is /out/ viable. But if you live in the south, agriculture is a solid career.
>>
>>983412
I've worked in the timber industry so I understand what you mean by dropout idiots.

What did you do to get your foot in the door? Are there any helpful skills that I can't get from forestry degree?
>>
>>983517

Having a degree pretty much guarantees you a job. The industry is growing but the work force is aging so there is a super high demand.

You could work your way up from a field position but be prepared to spend 20 years getting the job that a uni grad gets straight out of school. Most of the general forestry stuff you could pick up in field, but a lot of the stats analysis, becoming an Excel and ArcMap wizard, etc. You need to be taught.
>>
>>983422
You must be very, very careful;
High school may be one of the worst teaching areas solely because of the students at that age.
>>
Is biology /out/ approved?
>>
>>982208
Nice
>>
>>982740
you're right, and they may not require as many people to work it, unlike the place I work. The farmer is far more anal about chemicals going into the soil/water table/other animals habitat than chemicals going into human bodies so we do things the slow, old way. He still makes a profit, just not as much as he could.
>>
>>982076
Actually there is plenty of options. I studied law and applied for a job at the state ministry for forests, land and nature. Great choice.
>>
>>982076
Actually there is plenty of options. I studied law and applied for a job at the state ministry for forests, land and nature. Great choice for me.
>>
>>982862
do you actually go /out/ or do you push papers and just have a cool paperweight ?
>>
Astronaut
>>
>>982080
FPBP
The /out/ist speaks truth.

No surer way to become a couch potato than be forced to hump ass up and down hills, through swamps, all day, carrying gear in rain, snow, and humid heat. That shit wears a man out.

After 25 years in environmental consulting, I can chose field work days around the weather about 80% of the time. The other 20 % I curse underneath my breath, take a couple doses of nsaid and grab the boots. Mosquitos and impenetrable swamps in humid summertime are _just_a_little_ worse than rain and wind a few degrees above freezing.
One good thing, you learn to recognize hazards like avalanches, bottomless muck, and poisonous plants as a matter of daily survival.

Go to work for the cash and flexible schedule. Go out for fun.
>>
>>984227
Wanna trade jobs?
>>
>>982208

This shit is some of the biggest bullshit of our time.

Private paid education with 1/4 the overhead because no building.

No benefit to anyone.

Fuck you.
>>
>>982748
Trails are professionally built, not made by volunteers. Volunteers do the grunt work sometimes though.
>>
>>984360
>No benefit to anyone?
Except the kids, right?
>>
>>984227
Would you recommend enviro consulting? Trying to decide what to focus on after I graduate.
>>
>>984390
If you want to pimp something beautiful, deal in hookers or art.
>>
File: latest.jpg (2MB, 6000x6117px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
2MB, 6000x6117px
>>984360
you're a salty piece of shit. i would have loved outdoor preschool/kindtergarten when i was a
>>
>>984360
Little people filled with energy should be forced to sit in circles for circle time and if they act up they should be forced drugs to calm them down because circle time is important education. Is this what you believe?
>>
>>982080
Foresters manage land for a variety of interest groups that includes wildlife departments, recreation, logging industry, water quality, and aesthetics. And foresters do get to go out. Forest managers generally have to spend more time working spreadsheets, but they also have a greater influence on the forest and get paid more.
>>
>>984360
Saltiest grump award goes to -drum roll- ... you! Congratulations!

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out clownshoes
>>
Mathematician.
>>
>>984444
You trip cunts are insufferable, filtered
>>
File: IMG_20150105_163332:nopm:.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150105_163332:nopm:.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I'm pretty sure my job is killing the planet, i spend all night watching this machine cut up wood and then throw massive amounts of offcuts and wastage into a bin that ends up in landfill.

On the plus side I work at night so i get to spend my day chilling out somewhere fishing or bushwalking or bike riding.

Seeing what i do on a day to day basis though makes me think that this planet is going to be fucked in a couple of generations.
>>
>>984625
Do you even know how trees work?
>>
>>984632
>Expecting an envirotard to know science
>>
a landscape painter
>>
File: 20150912_135122.jpg (677KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150912_135122.jpg
677KB, 2048x1152px
>>984612
good, i dont want you reading my posts
>>
>>982076
What about wildlife conservation?
>>
File: C528XmEWYAECUJB.jpg (27KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
C528XmEWYAECUJB.jpg
27KB, 500x333px
>>984360
>kids being outside/in nature is a bad thing
>>
>>984612
Agreed.
>>
transferring for forestry degree this fall
how do i get a job after graduating
should i stick with B.S. or go for M.S.
>>
>anti science like global warming
what do you want?
-the average global temperature is increasing yearly
-arctic ice sheets are coming back smaller every year
-greenhouse effect causing gases have been measurably increasing since the start of the industrial revolution
-atmospheric ozone concentrations have decreased by 4% since the 1970s. Ozone absorbs UV radiation so things on earth don't.

what do you want... to burst into flame? It's a fucking thing you dumb cunt.

-a scientist
>>
Field ecologist. Literally paid to observe nature and processes and understand the land. Best

>>984730
As long as your the kind that spends time with wildlife and in nature, and not just a desk jockey or manager, coordinator etc.
>>
>>982076
im working for "outdoor adventure experiences" this summer. basically if you have/get the training you essentially take a bunch of college age peeps and families rafting/spelunking/rock climbing. not uncommon to be in close physical proximity to le cuties so #notbad
>>
>>985199
none of those dudes are gonna fuck you with their parents around anon

sounds fucking awesome though, good gig m8
>>
>>985168

>-the average global temperature is increasing yearly

False

>-arctic ice sheets are coming back smaller every year

False

>-greenhouse effect causing gases have been measurably increasing since the start of the industrial revolution

FALSE AND IRRELEVANT

>-atmospheric ozone concentrations have decreased by 4% since the 1970s. Ozone absorbs UV radiation so things on earth don't.

Hahaha

>what do you want... to burst into flame? It's a fucking thing you dumb cunt.

You sound like a religious zealot

>-a scientist

Why? Because you can regurgitate a few Jewish buzzwords? That makes you a puppet and a fool

t. a real scientist
>>
>>985206
I know this is trolling and all but I'll give you one counterpoint.

Glacier National park has its glaciers dying off in droves.

If it's not global warming, what is causing the glaciers to disappear?

>inb4 lizardmen
>>
File: howtogettosesamestreet.jpg (52KB, 500x603px) Image search: [Google]
howtogettosesamestreet.jpg
52KB, 500x603px
>>985206
We got a real hue-man bean here...
>>
>>985318
>1 tiny area
>Global

You are confusing local with global and weather with climate
>>
>>985318
You fucked up. You let them drag you into the weeds. That's where the denier subhumans can stab you with their tiny pitchforks and bite you with their tiny teeth. Never lower yourself into the weeds. Yes, the earth is warming, but singling out a case is meaningless. Only global-scale trends matter. If you stick to those - if you let them continue to deny the undeniable - they'll keep slamming their low sloping foreheads against the cold, hard facts until they bleed to death and take their trash opinions with them.
>>
I'm a forester in the UK.

It's a totally different role to a forester in the US. More like a ranger but who specifically looks after woodland. I work for a private shooting estate, am provided with a work vehicle as well as whatever heavy plant we need and even a rent and tax free house to live in on the estate. I work 7:30 till 4pm Monday to Thursday with an early finish on Friday - we normally work till 5 every day for some extra overtime and occasionally on a Saturday for a half day or something. The pay is decent, I have plenty of holidays to enjoy the lush countryside that's literally right on my doorstep and I'mean racking up work and vehicle based certifications like nobody's business.

The work consists of all sorts, strimming, spraying, felling, winching, forwarding, cutting firewood, clearing windblown or dangerous trees, survey work with a GPS and a whole host of odd jobs.

Happy to answer any questions.
>>
>>983434
most 4chan users are between ages 12-17. Just look around
>>
File: 20160820_181619.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160820_181619.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>985384
From the US. Say I get tired of our purple mountain majesty's and undeveloped tracts of true wilderness and fall in love with the moorlands.
Is an associate (2yr) degree in forestry with experience enough to get my foot in anywhere?
Assuming I jumped the hoops for visa/temp citizenship
>>
>>985488

I'd say so. The experience is the key thing you need to demonstrate. That said, if your degree is relevant and throws some extra knowledge behind that experience it'll give you a leg up.
>>
>>982076

being a drug mule is exciting and financially lucrative if you decide to drop off the grid to sell the drugs you stole and shoved up your ass yourself
>>
>>985498
How much of a pain is it be to get a visa then? It would help to have communication/an interview lined up beforehand of course, but is it necessary for temp citizenship?
>>
File: From Miro.jpg (31KB, 270x480px) Image search: [Google]
From Miro.jpg
31KB, 270x480px
I study archaeology, so I spent my summers digging somewhere in the country. Last summer I got to visit this place on my day off.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (165KB, 1241x694px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
165KB, 1241x694px
>>985520
and this one
>>
>>984360
that doesn't even make sense, it's not like the kids are somehow not learning because they're outdoors

gonna have to suggest that you kys my man
>>
>>985520
>>985524
Do you have a bone to examine?
>>
can anyone give me a quick rundown on what to do to become a tree planter?

thanks
>>
>>985518
What the fuck is "temp citizenship"?

If you want to live anywhere in Europe, you first need to find a company to hire you.
Thats basically it. There are no tests you have to study for.

Also, in the UK you will need a chainsaw operator's license if you plan to use one.
>>
>>985193
Please tell me what you majored in in college? Or how you got this job? I have a bachelors in anthropology. I want to go for a masters degree that will give me such an opportunity as yours. Ecology and botany have become huge passions for me.
>>
>>985653
>degree in anthropology
You are so fucked anon. I knew someone from a top tier school (and I mean actual top tier) who had PhD in anthropology, and could not find a job.
>>
>>985662
But I am looking for more ecological work now. Asking for advice on a masters degree.
If I keep on with anthropology I know what path I will take. I have archaeological work experience, too but I am growing more and more interested in the environment and people's interactions with it. I'd like to lean a more botanical way with it
>>
>>985604
Dig hole
Put tree in hole
Fill in remaining portion of hole
>>
>>983641
Can i get a good forestry job with a bach in comp sci, i know it might not be applicable but it atleast proves im not retarded or something :s
>>
>>982537
Or faggot for short
>>
>>985604
People dont last long, its back breaking work and as a result only like 30% of people come again, just be okay with rape work and shit living standards for good money and dont get injured
>>
>>985518
I really have no idea! The best thing to do would be hunt around for jobs you might be interested in and contact potential employers regarding it. They might offer you a phone or webcam interview I would suppose. Your best bet for that kind of thing would probably be the Forestry Commision or the Scottish Forestry Commision. They're probably most likely to look at your degree and get excited too to be honest. Not saying it's a bad one or anything, hell, I don't have one ha!
>>
>>985810
>dig hole

You fell at the first hurdle anon.
>>
>>985816
That probably just puts you on par with Joe average who saw 'forestry' at the job centre and thought he'd give it a shot. You'd go further with a chainsaw ticket andj few summer's of experience working in a small sawmill, cutting firewood or even helping out with gatekeepers or on a farm. You could always scor an admin job with one of the big forestry companies I guess?
>>
>>985609
Temporary. Not an accepted abbreviation, noted.
I'm a lazy typer.
>>
>>985822
any tips on gear/techniques/best way to start?

Like can I sign up for a week just to see if I like it or do I gotta stay for like a month
>>
>>982076
It's seasonal, but Boy Scouts summer camp staff can be fun
>>
>>985881
Depends on camp they will sell you a shovel and bag, your not obligated to stay and your paid per tree arouns .8-.11 cents, if it cost you 400 for your gear and to get there you gotta atleast plant 4000 trees

You can make 9-15g in 60 fays
>>
>>982146
getting my emt cert at the end of the month and I have no idea what AMR means, can you elaborate?
>>
>>986101
Forgot to mention also, you pay around 20$ per day for camp
>>
>>986101
So do I have to drive my own vehicle out to the camp or is there an official shuttle? Cause the only vehicle I have access to is a shared family van.
>>
>>986108
AMR is American Medical Response. They are either largest or second largest private EMS organization in the US.
>>
>>985816
With a B.S. in comp sci you could look around and find an office gig. Work with ARCgis, you may get lucky and actually go out to some of the areas you end up interpreting.

This means you'll likely be a forester's or logger's bitch though.
>>
Is there any work in the botany field?
>>
>>982166

Only correct answer. Rural schools desperately need math and science teachers. You could live here (Rocky Mountain Front by Choteau MT), get paid ~50k with absurdly low cost of living, and have june/july/august to dick around outdoors.
>>
File: old-trail-museum.jpg (47KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
old-trail-museum.jpg
47KB, 550x413px
>>986505

And if that doesn't convince you, how about this: Choteau has dinosaurs.
>>
>>986108
>>986188
I believe they are the #1 largest now, since they absorbed Rural Metro a couple years back. Could be wrong, though.

Good call getting your EMT cert though. Like I said, if nothing else you will have a good 'backup' skill to market and it's not like you've invested 6 years and thousands of dollars if you don't wind up liking it.

Plus I'm convinced that if you are able to do well in EMS, you handle overall life stress much better. Not even trying to play the 'Ive seen some shit' meme, just the crap you deal with and periods of job stress put every other life dilemma in perspective. You'll be telling all your crybaby family members to quit stressing the fuck out over small stuff that doesn't even matter to you anymore, because on your last shift you were up a muddy, about-to-wash-out rural road dealing with some drunk crazy guy who just burned his hands on his wood stove and seems like the sort prone to domestic violence, with a transfer pending and you didn't get dinner and you're already signed up for another 24 hours of overtime with the next day's shift. So no, Misty, I don't see how your doctor's suggestion to change your kids diet is justification for this fucking midlife crisis just because you have to cook something without potatoes or fucking rice in it. Good grief, use a search engine, fuck.

And stuff like that. You'll also probably curse more at the dinner table, and when everyone tells work stories, you are guaranteed to have their attention when you start talking about poop, cellulitis, and having flaky skin all over you after lift assists.
>>
My friend is a freelance translator, mostly working with businesses and makes bank while basically setting his own schedule. He's also incredibly smart and personable though.
>>
Would the National Guard be a good way to get "certified" for an /out/ career? I was thinking of enlisting for military police then going park ranger when I'm out. Good idea or bad?
>>
>>986505
Lots of rural schools are shutting down higher level math and science classes because the new Americans lack the aptitude or interest in those subjects
>>
File: 20161103_144159.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_144159.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
In school for power line technician right now and I love it. Here's a video of my point of view while climbing a 60ft pole.
https://youtu.be/1dePZZeyLgQ
>>
>>982076
I work as a software engineer which sounds like the least /out/ career one could imagine.
But I work remote and can basically travel freely as long as I have internet nearby. Very happy with my career so far but I'll probably have to work in an office eventually...
>>
>>986505
sauce on job postings?
>>
>>982193
somebody failed 9th grade english
>>
>>984368
I've heard Americorps is pretty fun. Some of their crews get paid iirc.
>>
>>989431
English teachers are the worst cuz nao they be quired to agreeamate ebonics
>>
File: 1485051256570.png (1MB, 897x631px) Image search: [Google]
1485051256570.png
1MB, 897x631px
>>984360
>buttblasted NEET mad that he doesn't have any useful outdoorsy skills
>>
File: IMG_1522.png (264KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1522.png
264KB, 540x960px
Land Surveyor.
>>
>>985653
I majored in Botany and Zoology and did my honours in Plant Ecology. Kind of fell into the job I'm in now, its all about having the right connections and being lucky
>>
>>984368
Not anymore. Budget cuts have forced volunteers to step up to keep the trails maintained and built in places that aren't Yellowstone-tier.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170411-103448.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170411-103448.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>982076
Running machinery is good if you are lazy or crippled like me
>>
File: Screenshot_20170410-205352.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170410-205352.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
>>982129
Fuck lightning confirmed.

Also fuck monkey trees...
>>
>>982193
Can we go with most of them? Some of them care and arent union dick lickers
>>
>>982197
Me too? Reeeeeeeeeeeeeing
>>
>>982349
Kek.

Can i invest and become NEET feom myself or must i be a parasite?
>>
>>982742
>runs heavy machinery and hot rods my life with open pipes

Will forever have to have music on or shake and cry ina corner from the ringing.
>>
>>983412
Top fucking kek. Have been truck driver and operate machinery. Dropped out of junior college TWICE.

I work by myself and avoid the truck drivers at all cost. Nost operators have a chip on their shoulder or run a blade for 4 hours and are suddenly superoperator.

Wtf is wrong with people anon?
>>
>>983478
Maybe a college if you are as far right as me.

Fucking liberals....
>>
>>984612
>he doesnt count to 4
>>
File: 1480158787462.jpg (30KB, 363x551px) Image search: [Google]
1480158787462.jpg
30KB, 363x551px
>>984632
I was under the impression they were all liberal neets as they dont work and the only food they are is for destroying shit
>>
File: WATERWORLD_Costner_Intro.jpg (55KB, 660x350px) Image search: [Google]
WATERWORLD_Costner_Intro.jpg
55KB, 660x350px
>>985168
>throws another tire on the bonfire
>>
>>985318
Middle earth has too many bonfires?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1491908704980.jpg (37KB, 1005x1440px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1491908704980.jpg
37KB, 1005x1440px
>>985368
REKT
>>
>>985604
>dig hole
>put tree
>fill hole.
>>
>>985609
Or you could come to america without faggot chainsaw refukations. Lol
>>
>>989478
This pic.

What the fuck
>>
File: 20170411_113921.png (129KB, 271x295px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_113921.png
129KB, 271x295px
>>989478
>>
>>982146
Is emt worth it?

From what I've read it's harder to get a job with the basic cert.
Or do you get the basic cert and work your way to higher certs as you get experience?

t. loser in college that doesn't really care about what they're doing and is looking for ways out
>>
>>982193
Somebody got touched in the wrong places

>or maybe in the right ones
>>
>>982193

Let me guess, you heard a teacher who got on your back because you refused to do work, and warned you that IDF you didn't you're be a failure in life...

... And now you are
>>
>>982204

Hey Mads, had no idea you're a teacher. Me too bro, but high school.

I'd love to teach over in your neck of the woods. Any advice on getting a job there?
>>
>>985384
Can you give a rough number on that salary?
>>
>>984360
anon I think you're wrong

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/dateline/article/2016/02/23/comment-its-important-children-learn-be-cold-wet-and-survive?cid=trending
>>
>>985598
ill examine your bone
>>
>>985356
Alpine glaciers are retreating everywhere though
>>
>>995297
Great, no one wants to be cold
>>
I work as a hydrologist but it requires a distinct lack of retardation which rules most of you out.

Better luck next life.
>>
>>984227
How did you get into environmental consulting?
>>
I'm majoring in history and love archival work and analyzing historical documents. I'd kill to work for the NFS or NPS in some kind of context.
>>
>>982076
Got same question as OP. Right now doing a bio degree with intention of working as a biological science technician specializing more in wildlife for the NPS or USFW. My morale is low, as 4+years don't seem like it's worth it for a season job that only pays 30-47k. Is there an alternative that still lets me go outside and get the fuck away from the majority of proudfully ignorant people in society?
>>
>>995456
If you want to get away from dummies, govt work is a bad choice because all the tards flock there because it's impossible to fire women, Mexicans, blacks and Muslims.
>>
>>995500
Well wouldn't it be different for Biological science techs? I've heard that you're basically by yourself or with a small group of like minded people. Go out gather data, maybe some labwork day done.
>>
>>995456
A friend of mine has a MSc in wildlife biology and works for a contractor that did surveys and assessments for oil companies in western Canada. He seems to like it.

The problem is, the higher you go job-wise the less time you spend outside. I remember a forestry researcher telling us everyone first thinks they will do 50/50 inside/outside work, but it ends up being like 95/5 (if you're lucky). He said he gets funding and sets up research projects, but is lucky if he visits the site once a year.

Of course if you are a tech you'll be the guy doing the field work. But like you said, pay isn't that great in that line of work... unless you plan on starting your own assessment/survey business. If fracking and oil exploration in the US (presumably you are American) increases, that might not be a bad idea. Assuming environmental assessments aren't scrapped by the current government.
>>
I've been thinking about opening my own outdoor store lately. Just a little shop that sells essentials, gently used gear and maybe rentals and repair. Might offer some guide services on the side, too. I was an outfitter for a long time and kind of miss it, but I don't want to go back to working for a big company.

I found a town in Alaska that I think is in a good spot. It's close to a lot of cool things and gets good traffic from tourists as well as Alaskans.

I just need to take some time, work on my administration-side skills and come up with a good financial plan.
>>
I saw an opening online for an assistant park ranger at a local State Park. Anyone here have any experience with this sort of entry-level /out/ job? I'm in Oregon and would love to get my foot in this door.
>>
>>995456
>30k to 47k a year as a bio tech

This is my 5th year and I cleared 26k with having a seasonal job and then some random job for the winter. It says that much in the USAjobs posting but because they're limited to 6 months you have to half that pay. Most likely you won't get a winter job so you'll be taking a pay cut to work somewhere else.

>>995500
Most biotechs are white and so are your bosses. I've noticed about a 50/50 split between male and female depending on the species you're working with. Just because it's like that at the DMV doesn't mean it's like that everywhere else.

>>996011
BST is pretty much all fieldwork. You might spend an hour or so everyday to enter data and come up with a plan for the day.
>>
>>996123
I've applied to positions like that and never heard back. Feels bad man
>>
>>996341
What types of work do you do in between? I really want to make this feasible financially, unless you can recommend an alternative. I've thought about picking up some other skill like idk shoe repair for in between seasons.
>>
>>982076
Behaviorial ecologist here.
Do not approve of fishing deck hand or forestry, and neither should you because industry is a threat to /out/ existence and is robbing us of the world we came from.
>>
>>995420
>I'm majoring in history
Liberal arts are a joke
kys worthless major future barista
>>
>>997504
What is a good major?
Do you get all your information about the world around you on /b/?
>>
>>997507
Anything STEM or trade school right now. Colleges should just be turned into pure vocational schooling anyway.
>>
File: 1426224154398.jpg (12KB, 199x282px) Image search: [Google]
1426224154398.jpg
12KB, 199x282px
>>997504
>>997527
>he fell for the stem meme
>>
>>997527
I'm a STEM grad student and you are a complete retard
>>
>>982476
Hi /r/kike
>>
>>989703
Thank you for responding! Sounds awesome, congrats
>>
>>997498
Elaborate?
>>
>>997465
Last winter I was a welder. Winter before that I worked at a ski resort.

I just pick a place I want to live and find work nearby. You can survive on that kind of salary, it's not that easy and you have to give up a lot of things that you might want to do like own house.

There's a joke in the NPS that we "get paid in sunsets."
>>
>>997528
>>997547
Here's some advice for you morons:
Either go STEM or ditch college and learn a trade. And by go STEM I mean stick with Engineering or Computer Science.

Otherwise you're wasting your time and money.
>>
>>997657
I'm fine with just an apartment, if anything been thinking of building myself a cabin or something that's a bit far from civilization but just close enough I can get back to it in an emergency. Only reason I would want to settle would be to raise kids, rather they grow up one place for a while rather than constantly hop around. I've met people like that, and while they got a lot of different experiences, they were almost sociopathic detached. Seems like a 4 year degree isn't worth it for the pay, there has to be another way of getting into it.
>>
>tfw in training to become an environmental psychologist

Still a long way to go yet, but hopefully looking to wangle a job where I can spend half the year in beautiful national parks without paying a penny, and the other half writing papers about how great it is. It's a very niche career too (maybe 50-100 people worldwide would call themselves one), so hopefully I'll be able to do something significant with it.
>>
any environmental science students here? Seems like there would be a good amount of jobs for that
>>
>>985384
Where do you work? I've been worming my way into that field up here on the Northumberland border.
>>
File: 20150711_053811.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150711_053811.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
>>991586
not sure where your from buddy, but Denmark is HARD on people coming from other countries with educations they didnt earn here, so if you have racked up work time at schools or have your papers in order you should be more or less fine dependent on where your from

best advice would be learning the language, makes fluent and natural conversation and correspondence so much easier. and hell, i dunno dependent on the field maybe read our guidelines set by our educational minestry, those should be pretty available online, knowing at-least some of that is bound to make you at least interesting for and employer

oh, and first aid, is a skill employers value highly but may not tell you they are looking for in announcements
>>
bumperino
>>
>Live in the UK
>Closest thing to /out/ job is postman
>>
>>982193
Sure thing Betsy, equal accountability right?
>>
File: IMG_1761.gif (3MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1761.gif
3MB, 320x320px
>>982166
>become teacher
>excited to teach kids about the world
>this is your class
>>
Is a BS in biology with an emphasis on ecology and evolutionary biology okay?

I just want a secure and stable job that allows me to teach people about animals and nature and maybe care for/study things.
>>
>>986484
Yea. An international environmental consulting company, GEI, has current openings for biologists (botanists and ecologists)/, iirc) . I'm not them, but in the same business. A staff biologist might walk the routes of proposed utility corridors looking for occurances or habitat of threatened or endangered species. A good self directed botanist might get sent to local sites to flag wetlands. The pay's not great, and the hours are long. You may spend weeks on the road. If you don't get suckered into "management/professional exempt" you'll get paid overtime.
It requires a degree, a master's helps. The best wetland botanist in our region has a degree in fish and wildlife. He taught himself the plants.
>>
>>982129
Fishing guide / cabin rentals here. Some of us are born into it and want to live like this, rather then LARPing once in a while. There is nothing wrong with living your entire life /out/.
>>
>>995415
>Be me
>Barelygraduate from a Big 10 land grant college with an embarrassing bachelor's degree
>Have a good hand and good eye.
>See a job ad for draftsman at local land survey company.
>Go to library and learn to use terms like differential leveling, error of closure, station offset, meets &bounds and route surveys.
>Get job.
>Take night class to learn AutoCAD
(R12, sonny)
End up civil engineering project manager
Housing boom.exe
Housing bust del_*.*
>On the streets in 2007.
>See ad for AutoCAD operator at local environmental consulting company.
Hey Anon, good to see you again too bad about That Place Inc. going tits up. I think you're pretty good guy, draws plans and doesn't afraid of anybody
>Work part time and study state statutes, teach myself basic statistical analysis, continue to extend myself and take risks at the edge of my comfort zone.
>Bring in a few big jobs.
>Hire and train replacement cad operator, GIS techs, etc.
>Look in the mirror, whiskers are grey, hair is gone, gut is huge, and realize haven't smiled since 1998.

Wish I knew what ADHD was and smoked less weed in college to pass caculus and be geneticist like I wanted.
>>
>>997430
I've had three interviews for different jobs with the state parks/natural resources. Was told about the positions before publically published. Multiple references from departmental employees and the state capitol. Aced the interview.

Two with the grounds department at state university. One was my alma mater.
At least two with city parks and engineering.

Every_single_ time they placed a current employee into the position.
Every
Single
Time

Don't listen to me, I'm a bitter old man.
>>
>>1005134
>>997430
My aunt is a senior park ranger. Does it take nepotism?
Thread posts: 196
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.