[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you consider the absolute essentials when going innawoods?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

File: 20933028-origpic-a3f76f.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
20933028-origpic-a3f76f.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
What do you consider the absolute essentials when going innawoods?
>>
File: Batonny Chop Chop Babby.jpg (3MB, 3132x2744px) Image search: [Google]
Batonny Chop Chop Babby.jpg
3MB, 3132x2744px
>>981605
Nothing other than clothing.
>>
File: boodyfull.jpg (61KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
boodyfull.jpg
61KB, 800x500px
-basic tool (blade, perhaps hatchet)
-appropriate clothes (boots, layers, waterproof options, anything that dries quick particularly socks but also outerlayers)
-spending the night? don't skimp on sleeping stuff. don't skimp on sleeping stuff. period. tent, bivvy, hammock, lean-to, a-frame, tarp. you gotta be warm, safe, and get a good night's sleep.
-food: you need 75% essentials and 25% comfies
-water? lug it? filter it? boil it? lifestraw it? idgaf you need water somehow
>>
>>981609
This, jesus christ you dont need a daypack to go on a walk
>>
Camp kit: knife, hatchet, folding saw, matches, bic lighter
Shelter kit: sleeping bag/pad, tent
Food, water
Cookwares
Toiletries

Enjoy being outdoors
>>
>>981605
>>
>>981609
masta
>>
>>981605
I bring my bicycle and bring a backpack with a hoodie and a wool blanket, a knife, 2 pounds of nuts, a fishing pole and a bottle to hold water. I usually ride about 50 miles out into a national forest and go as deep as possible. If the fishing is good I stay for up for a month, if no fish in the streams I find I will stay til my nut sack is empty. Yes forever alone, nobody is willing to camp the way I camp, I build my own shelters and fires etc and bring almost nothing. People don't think it's fun but I do.
>>
Appropriate layers and a water bottle + filter

Knife, torch and lighter I have on me regardless
>>
>>981626
lmao god
>>
>>981605
It totally depends on the environment. Some places provide everything you need without much fuss. Other, you really have to work for it. Blade and fire are essential basic human tools most everywhere. If you're in desert or arctic, you won't last long without either very specialized knowledge and/or gear.
>>
Clothing and water. Everything else is stuff you add dependent upon your needs, but clothing and water will always be essential regardless of what you're doing.
>>
>>982564
Clothing? Really? If clothing is not the same thing as shelter, it's unnecessary. The Three Essential tools of Humanity are fire, blade technology, and language. Everything else is gravy.
>>
>>981626
>nut sack

Lost.
>>
>>981626
That's actually pretty cool
>>
>>981626
Where do ya cop yer nuts friend
>>
>>982581
>Go /out/ in bad weather with no clothes
>die of exposure in a matter of hours
Yeah, nah. Without clothing you'll fucking die. Without a knife or fire you'll survive.
>>
once asked a sere instructor his top 3

poncho, water bottle, good boots
>>
>>981605
In the 1980s, I did extreme ultra light camping for 2 weeks at a time. Brought just stuff that fits in a 35mm film canister, the stuff I'm wearing and a towel, a rubber glove and some oil. The only metal I had was inside the canister, razor blades, needles, and fish hooks. 1st off the freedom is absolutely amazing. You can sleep literally everywhere anywhere you want since you don't need to find a spot just right for angle and size to pitch a tent. Obviously, I don't live in a place where there's a shit load of insect or scorpion problems. The worst I got is a wolf spider running across my face; which is no worse than in my house at times.

I did a ton of foraging, gathering, snaring, and fishing. On each occasion, by the end of the 1st week I had earthenware bowls I fired in makeshift mud kilns. I could heat stones and drop them into the bowls of water to boil the water and make stew/soup. The water I got prior to that for the week was from vegetation (chew, suck juices out, & spit out plant unless I was eating it.) Only after the bowls are made do I drink water I harvest from other sources and extract more oil.

It was a lot of fun. I made shelters, bows & arrows, cordage, and some tanned hides. But, since I was only ever out for 2 weeks I never had to really hustle to harvest, hunt, and preserve food stocks or build a permanent shelter. I could have done that, I mean I'm a farmer and that is kinda what I do as a living, but not needing to do that, knowing that I'll return to a normal home, puts one's mind at ease. Which can detract from the experience. Make no mistake, actually acquiring enough food and preserving it to last months is a monumental task for someone alone in the woods. You literally eat and breath hard work the entire time, no days off.
>>
>>982737
two weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkChbEu3hKE

na, i've never camped out more than a day, probably never will. lol
>>
A puukko and firemaking equipment.
>>
>>981605
clothing is pretty obvious ad it never hurts to prepare for change of weather.
but the most essential piece of luggage is water, you must have water.
everything else is nonessential/convenience item for hikes.
>>
>>982583
>doesn't know what "feeding the fish" means
>>
>>982581
>language
The heart is also really important. It helps keep your organs supplied with blood. Never go innawoods without a working heart.
Jesus fucking Christ. You Sir, are an idiot.
>>
File: k19760845.jpg (4KB, 170x113px) Image search: [Google]
k19760845.jpg
4KB, 170x113px
>>981626
>I will stay til my nut sack is empty.

Same here, though it doesn't win me any friends.
>>
>>981605

Good boots good insulation and water
>>
>>982902
But at least you recognize my knighthood, young squire.
>>
>>982606
But how are clothes not the same as shelter?
>>
>>982977
well the two must work together, you can be naked in a very good shelter as i like to spend my days at home, or you can be adequately clothed without any shelter and be fine.

but here is the thing. when your clothing is inadequate you have to find/build shelter to supplement it.

i was up in the mountains (some 3500+ meters up) skiing and to my surprise the cold was most of the time not noticeable i could have dropped all my outer clothing and be fine (i actually seen a dude wearing only shorts). except for the sun. that thing was a killer. i got sunburn under clothes and 50 factor sunscreen. i cherished every minute i could spend in shade.
>>
>>981609
WHAT ABOUT YOUR DUMB AXE
>>
>>982581
Why don't you make a thread about it
>>
>>983051
Kek
>>
Absolutely essential

Access to water

INCREDIBLY HUGE POWER GAP

Shoes

POWER GAP

Clothes
First Aid knowledge

Everything else is purely for your comfort.

If spending out overnight, some sort of rain preventing shelter becomes essential
>>
>>981605
Oxygen.
>>
>>983091
Air*
>>
>>983095
No, I meant oxygen. Air is has a composition of about 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, with the rest being made up of a much smaller amount of other gases. Only oxygen is necessary for survival.
>>
File: pic.jpg (1MB, 2656x1360px) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
1MB, 2656x1360px
>>981609
just don't be a faggot
>>
File: 1487863882453.png (50KB, 1316x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1487863882453.png
50KB, 1316x1152px
>>981605
Knife (optional forest axe)
Gun (optional sidearm)
Bag
Water container
Rations (Nuts, some carbs, dried/smoked meat, preserves) Green edibles are easy to find and hunting/trapping is always an option
Appropriate clothing (all wool for winter dress down layers for summer, or linen shirt + pants. Going semi nude is also open.
Wool blanket (shelter can be made)
Needle and thread
Fire starting equipment
Multipurpose rock (river rocks are really useful and you might not come across a good one all the time)
Cordage can be made but small spool of it is useful, small spool of metal wire is also useful.
Some kind of animal fat (lard, tallow etc) deer fat is good especially for making a candle or sealing things.
A small jar of: Honey, pine tar, birch tar or lavender oil.
Thats all I can think of right now, this list is good for long term innawoods (A few months long+) depending on the season it can vary; Birch tar/lavender oil is a neccisity for bug repelent in summer, but in the winter a small container of honey or birch tar would work as an antiseptic. And a sled would be neccecary for hauling an axe, rations/cooking equipment and blankets/coats etc. So its all variable.

A short term list for a week or so would be
Water container
Fire starter
Sizeable knife (think leuku or hudson bay)
Gun
Bag
Clothing
Rations
>>
>>983114
Oh and skis are a definate need in winter (good luck walking through 5 feet of snow all day) and in some places during summer
>>
>>981605
morphine
>>
>>983100
Oxygen is poisonous to us in higher concentrations. The "air" we breath has a near perfect mixture. A little too much oxygen gets you high. A little more and you die. Inb4 love is like oxygen.
>>
>>983145
Don't contradict me.
>>
>>983184
I can't. I don't know what that means.
>>
>First Aid Kit
>Water Bottle
>Something to munch on
>Knife
>something to sleep in/under
>Map of the area and compass
Anything else is pretty much just circumstantial.
>>
>>981605
tractor, winch, trailer, a chainsaw better if two, an axe, a mattock, plenty of water and lunch
shotgun or pistol is optional but nice to have
>>
>>982902

An idi/out/
>>
>>981609
F•P•B•P
>>
>>983109
I'm sure there's a difference between using a tool for its intended purpose and having it break and using a tool incorrectly and having it break. I'm sure more people use tools correctly than those who use them incorrectly. Based on that, you can probably find more broken axe pics than broken knife pics if you are only searching for batoning pics of broken knives. though, if you look for any broken knife pic you'll find more of those than broken axe pics. Simply because more people use knives than axes.
>>
>>982581
>tfw live in a country which doesn't allow me to cary a penknife or start a camp fire
>>
>>983696
They've essentially taken your balls.
>>
>>983696
Spain?
>>
>>983204
lighter or ferro rod would make things a lot simpler.
>>
>>981605

Water
Clothes
>>
>>981605
where I'm from in theory you can't really live without an axe and a fire source as the minimum.

If I'm hike camping I have a sleeping bag good to 0C, forest axe (actually redundant), knife, folding hand saw (more useful than axe if you have a knife already), solar lantern, inflatable sleeping mattress (one of those small compact ones), small tent, and I use a pathfinder canteen/cup thing for cooking and drinking.

And a warm coat and I like to have fishing stuff on hand.
>>
>>983766
Might not be. Spaniard here, we're not allowed to start camp fires, but as far as I know you can carry knives with blades up to 11cm. Still shit, but meh...
>>
File: colonial empire pepe.jpg (473KB, 910x900px) Image search: [Google]
colonial empire pepe.jpg
473KB, 910x900px
>>981611
You're a fucking idiot, don't leave the house without a knife
>>
>>985936
I can confirm, but no one really cares about blade length really. Usually, if you hide the fire enough (say, a Dakota fire pit) no one will really notice.
>>
>>985945
>Dakota fire pit

Might work up north where the soil is easier to dig, but in the SE where I'm at (Alicante) the soil is haggard as fuck, so really hard to make one of those...
>>
>>985945
>>985950
Still, thanks for the tip, as I had never considered the Dakota fire pit. Might give it a shot next time I head up for a camping trip. Thanks, anon
>>
>>985950
Yeah, here in Valencia it's the same thing. We found a cave with a natural chimney here in Calderona which somehow makes the smoke disappear. Will be spending a few nights here in the future.
>>
>>985968
Sounds pretty comfy. I usually camp with nothing but a tarp or tiny tent in Albureca, near the border with Valencia. Nice place, if you've never been.
>>
>>985936
Brit here who lived in Catalunya for 4 years - used to make fires in the cooler months, as long as you're careful there are no issues.

Dig a pit or make a wood-gas stove
>>
>>985977
Yeah during summer its a real risk – and during drought times as well.
During the rest of the year even though its forbidden I think it should not be, given that you are adequately educated on these matters (how to safely light a fire).
Anyways, the gov't does this to be sure that there won't be a fire.
But there was one near my place here, because some kids were throwing firecrackers during Fallas, and the best place they thought to throw firecrackers was the mountain. Very clever.
>>
>>983114
>Multipurpose rock (river rocks are really useful and you might not come across a good one all the time)

What do you use a rock for? Starting a fire using a bow?
>>
Cell phone, pockets.
>>
>>983145
No it isn't, there are pure oxygen chambers that people use all the time for relaxation purposes.

You might be thinking of ozone, which is chemically an entirely different thing.
>>
>>986027
Some cunt near my town (Xixona) burned down a couch in an abandoned house up in the mountains, near dry matojo area. Luckily it was extinguished before anything happened. But still retards will retard
>>
>>986208
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

Also, a pure oxygen environment increases flammability greatly. The dust floating around you can ignite violently just from lighting a cigarette.
>>
>>986226
Ah, looks like you're right anon. Sorry about that.

FWIW https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbaric_medicine is a thing, but they take special measures to prevent oxygen toxicity.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.