[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 23

File: 749.jpg (722KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
749.jpg
722KB, 1920x1080px
Mora 749. A large knife or a small machete
https://youtu.be/2jx0uuf4p94
>>
File: 35843586b8ba962841[1].jpg (55KB, 585x900px) Image search: [Google]
35843586b8ba962841[1].jpg
55KB, 585x900px
>>980765
No tang, no buy.

Especially for something that huge.

Get a Terävä 140 if you want a good long-bladed scandi for cheap. Full tang.
>>
>>980765
The ultimate batoner
>>
>>980768
I'm pretty sure they're just about full tang but they're a stick tang.
>>
File: 20170330_112102.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170330_112102.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Just got this. I like it. I hate the sheath. It came with tacticool thigh straps. I cut those off. I'm just not cool enough for that.
>>
>>980824
That's what I dispise about my BK7. Pulled the knife out of th box and the sheath is garbage. I'm really not wanting to spend the money to replace it but I guess I might have to.
>>
>>980865
I'm going to try my hand at making a nice leather one.
>>
Bought a Fiskars K40 yesterday, only use my knives for gutting fish & cutting plastic like a filthy normie anyways. Batonny chop chop!
>>
File: Knife.jpg (292KB, 1118x629px)
Knife.jpg
292KB, 1118x629px
Full tang, pattern folded 1080/1065 steel, rosewood/bog oak handle. Made it myself a few years ago.
>>
File: bestknoife.jpg (15KB, 619x238px) Image search: [Google]
bestknoife.jpg
15KB, 619x238px
tramontina is objectively better than your ebin mora memekives
>>
>>980865
Its not that bad if you sew a lower leg strap to it, thats what I did and it worked great. I ended up ripping the sheath though couple years later and ended up making a nice leather one. It worked great.
Advice: either sew a leg strap to it or make/buy one.
>>
>>980944
That's Damn nice! I like everything about that.
>>
>>980980
The only thing I would've done differently is be more careful when heating the metal up prior to shaping/grinding. I let it get too hot by accident and metals started to blend together which kind of ruins the nice rippling effect that pattern forged stuff tends to have.
>>
>>980985
Still....good steel, purpose formed blade, did you make that sheath too?
>>
>>980993
Yeah, honestly that was the more difficult part because I'd never worked with leather before. I think I ended up ruining/wasting a few square feet of material before saying fuck it and getting one of the other guys in my workshop to help me out.
>>
>>980997
What did you find hard about it? I'm the guy with the Boker above and I want to make good leather sheath.
>>
>>981001
It wasn't that it was hard specifically, just that I only bought like 5 sqft of leather and it was my first time working it.

It's pretty easy once you get used to the process, as long as you soak it thoroughly (20-40 minutes or so should be fine) and know in advance what you want to do (leather only stays workable for short periods of time before you have to resoak) you should be fine.

For a knife sheath like mine, measure out the length of the blade and add a half inch for the stitching plus however much of the handle you want to cover up. Soak a rectangular sheet of leather then fold it over the finished knife, clamp the leather and leave the whole setup soaking for about a half hour. By the end of that time the leather should conform to the shape you want, and you can always resoak+reclamp if it doesn't come out how you like it, but be aware that tiny adjustments can be hard to work with.

Poke holes for the stitching, cut off the excess material, cut slits for a belt and you're done.
>>
>>980944
I'm sorry I have to call this one out on you. It's realy nice that you made it your self...but still...pic related.
>>
File: A17-AV07290.jpg (38KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
A17-AV07290.jpg
38KB, 1000x1000px
>>980765
>>
File: bestknoife.png (290KB, 619x619px) Image search: [Google]
bestknoife.png
290KB, 619x619px
>>980959
What the fuck is this for
>>
>>980816
Nah. Except for the way overpriced ones, they only go halfway to the pommel, and are more of a rat tail tang. Never had any problem with loosening or anything, but I use a hatchet for hatchet stuff.
>>
>>981169
Probably a string cutter, like you couldnt just use the fucking knife
>>
>>981181
Some knives have a similar notch for stripping sinew, but it's much shallower on the edged side, so that it doesn't ruin the spine strength like that thing.
>>
>>981169 funnily enough , that point never breaks
it's for cutting wire
>>
>>981251
and i forgot to mention , the previous owner battoned the fucl out of the knife i have but it's still sturdy as fuck
>>
>>980976
I've priced a few kydex ones. They're not too bad. A piggyback set up with a lot of additions that are useful is $200.
>>
>>980944
Looks like a thicker kris.
>>
>>980944
That's a nice piece of work you have there. I bet that cuts like a motherfucker.
>>
so... I just got a Mora Classic No.612, this an ok knife, or am I out the cash I payed for it? pic is the knife in question
>>
>>982063
Let's just say it's a knife
>>
>>982063
They're old school cool. It's good steel and does what a knife is supposed to do. My only complaint is that the handle is too small for big hands. Make your own sheath. The one it comes with sux.
>>
>>982288
thank you!
I can see what you mean about the handle, luckily it's right about perfect size for my hand. as for the sheath, yeah I plan to make a replacement for it post hast. debating on leather, or a trying to dick around with making a Birch bark sheath, probably go with the former.
>>
Handled a Cold Steel Finn Wolf today.
It's definitely going on the "to buy" list. The roach belly was pretty nice as well but I had other things to pick up and I was after some specifics.
>>
The Roach Belly is a weird, but highly adaptable blade patten that is best realized in KOA's Yukon Belt Knife.

The Finn is a Mora with a Keaton handle made out of shittier steel.

Cold Steel is crap with intelligence.
>>
>>982609
>ever considering buying cold steel
>being this much of a fag
>>
>>982629
I can't comment on the quality of Cold Steel, but I wouldn't consider ever buying them based on their marketing, cringy offerings, and Made In China or wherever.
>>
>>980824
>>980976
I prefer carrying my larger knives with leg straps, but lately I've liked carrying them on a shoulder slang, the Schrade Priscilla showed me the light, but I've yet to get the chance to really try it out innawoods, just clearing brush around the yard. Pic related.

My really large blades, like 18+" machetes, I not dangle them. I wrap a leather belt around the throat of the sheath, in a way I can run my belt through it and carry it at a 45 degree like a sword.
>>
File: Favorite EDC knives.jpg (514KB, 1352x1409px) Image search: [Google]
Favorite EDC knives.jpg
514KB, 1352x1409px
>>982609
>>983102
I can speak for the quality of Cold Steel because I own/have owned about 15 or so products from them over the past 10 years.

Yes their marketing is very cringy, but I don't see that as a reason to avoid them.

Actually most of their products are not made in China just the really cheap stuff. Their good stuff is made in South Africa (machetes), Japan, Taiwan (mostly), Italy (new), and their a few Top end things made in America now.

My general consensus;

-Folding knives; Very good for the most part. The more expensive, the more value it is compared to the market, now that they are using CTS-XHP, BD1, 20cv, and s35vn.

-Machetes and swordchetes; Very good for the money, but need some work out of box. If you are good at re-profiling and sharpening, they are very reliable tools.

-Fixed blades, same as the folders. Now that they are using O-1 and CPM-3v, some of their higher end stuff is very hard to beat for the money.

Polypropylene stuff; it's what it seems at face value, just really strong, somewhat flexible. Generally near center balanced, bad if you are into sparing.

Things to avoid:
-Swords, they tend to have a lot of issues, either by design or quality.
- Anything with 4116 steel.
>>
>>983342
Your general concensus is always unanimous.

I generally agree with it. You get what you pay for.
>>
>>983328
that k55k looks nice. I always wanted to buy one but never ended up doing it. Can't bring myself to spend the money on something I know I won't use.
>>
I just bought a Mora 2000 as my first real knife.
Did I fuck up?
>>
>>983650
No it's a good knife just don't batonny chop chop with it
>>
looking for a general 'bush-craft knife' that i can use for battoning etc, any recommendations?
>>
File: 81CzLCs0OfL._SL1500_.jpg (215KB, 1207x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81CzLCs0OfL._SL1500_.jpg
215KB, 1207x1500px
>>984020

Hacking knife which is designed to be struck with a hammer or something with a thick spine like a BK2. Really just get a hatchet or axe.
>>
>>981169
wire breaker
>>
>>984057

Expanding on that.. Get a wood chopping tool and a cheap-ass mora for $15ish. You'll be fine with that.
>>
File: 4chan.png (225KB, 640x1136px)
4chan.png
225KB, 640x1136px
hey dudes, im going to the knife threads, trying to get people to join the /k/ik group dedicated to knives. i just started it yesterday, it'd be swell if you joined,
>>
>>984080

/k/ is too intense for my fragile psyche.
>>
>>984087
it's actually pretty chill, there's only 3 people in it currently,
>>
File: Нож_Steel_Will_Druid_250.jpg (97KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
Нож_Steel_Will_Druid_250.jpg
97KB, 750x563px
Thoughts on this?
https://steelwillknives.com/our-knives/outdoor-series/druid-250.html
>>
>>984107
>steel will
quality confirmed
>>
>>984107
>https://steelwillknives.com/our-knives/outdoor-series/druid-250.html
Looks like a solid design
>>
Stupid question but can you/how do you sharpen folding knifes? With stuff I could find in my house please if possible
>>
File: Boker Tuxedo Kwaiken.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Boker Tuxedo Kwaiken.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>984236
Well the same way you would sharpen any other knife really.

Do you happen to have sharpening stones laying around your house? No? Right.

Well first step, go to Amazon, buy a WorkSharp field sharpener. For $25 it is the cheapest, quality, self contained sharpener that I know of. And it has a rough angle guide to help you see what you should be aiming for. This will be enough to at lest get you a working edge. And you can strop it (youtube it) on any old leather belt if you want to try for a bit better. If possible always practice a while on a worthless knife so you don't ruin anything nice.

If you want to get really ghetto. The bottom of a coffee cup as the rough stone, the edge of a car widow as a fine stone, and strop on a leather belt. This is really ghetto, please don't do this on anything with value.

pic related is what you can aim for if you take sharpening seriously.
>>
>>983328
Yeah, I've pack strap attached it for the moment. It just isn't big enough for the leg strap nonsense. I'm sure it was just some marketing ploy.
>>
>>984080
You should call it the /k/bar. Let that sink in.
>>
>>982063
>guard

What are you, 5?
>>
>>984603
no, just paranoid, and working a heavy labor job that requires my hands. figured a little extra security from slipping and slicing myself would do no harm.
>>
File: CN2364HCanw.jpg (8KB, 295x209px) Image search: [Google]
CN2364HCanw.jpg
8KB, 295x209px
thinking of getting a condor CTK236-4HC knife, anyone had experience with it? its 1075 steel.
>>
>>980768
>No tang, no buy.

You ain't going to pull out the blade from the grip no matter what you do.

Partial tangs only suck with timber and when it starts to rot. So, the tang can pop out and you'll need to replace the grip.

You'll never break a partial tang itself on any piece of timber.

>>980765

I don't like how they put the clip point on it. There's no need for one on a GP knife.
>>
>>985336

Condo Bushcrafts are fine (that's the one pictured)

Lots of places sell them for more than what you can pick them up for, though. So, shop around.
>>
>>982063

Fine

The guard on their their classics is a good move. Your hand can slip up.

Keep the timber oiled so it doesn't dry out. That's the biggest problem with their classics. And the blade too, of course.
>>
What do you guys think of this knife? M390 steel is no joke and it's around the $150 mark. For camping/hiking.
>>
>>986511
if you want one in full flat grind let me know
i have one and dont carry it often enough ( at work i cant really have a knife on my belt it gets in the way)
its a great knife and wish i could carry it more
l
>>
File: 20170407_184714.jpg (3MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170407_184714.jpg
3MB, 2160x2160px
Just picked up this swiss army knife a day ago. Did i make a good pick /out/? Feels a little to big but im sure ill get use to it.
>>
>>987004
i got the standard red, this looks like an upgrade. how much? if you don't mind.
>>
>>987004
>>987058
i got a few more blades but no saw our knitting blade?
>>
File: 1354935594048.jpg (138KB, 352x338px)
1354935594048.jpg
138KB, 352x338px
>>987004
>Wood carcass
>>
File: superchopchop.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
superchopchop.webm
3MB, 640x360px
can anyone id this knife?
>>
>>987058
90 usd online. Id say 40% of the reason i bought it was the wood grips. I dont like how the new pocket knives look all edgy and "military style"
>>
>>987200
looks like the cold steel srk
>>
File: mygod.jpg (13KB, 299x274px) Image search: [Google]
mygod.jpg
13KB, 299x274px
>>987200
woha, advanced battoney
>>
>>987004

Has anyone actually ever used the saw on their Victorinox's/Swiss'?

I can't recall ever since having one as a little kid, that I've never used it.

I've used the corkscrew, bottle opener, and large and small blades (and only the latter when the former is dirty).
>>
File: Cold Steel San Mia Recon Tanto.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Steel San Mia Recon Tanto.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>987200
Yeah it's a Cold Steel SRK, older one in AUS8a. I remember watching this video. They were trying to abuse it to the point of failure. And besides destroying the grip, the actual blade and tang was fine.

That was AUS8a, imagine what the new CPM-3V ones can take.

Here is the full video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0kfBMt-5M

>>987516
I used the saw on my (2) Ranger models growing up. They are really good for notching branches and such, granted it's small. It's actually not a bad saw, it's better than the Leatherman saws, at lest the old SupperTools I compared it with years ago.
>>
>>987516
Ive been using my saw for cutting tree branches in my way while fishing. Pretty usefull for me.
>>
>>987004
That knife is pretty cool.
What's /out/ consensus on these type of knives?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.