[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How has it affected your community and how do we stop it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (199KB, 800x492px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
199KB, 800x492px
I live in Ontario's Golden Horseshoe. Back in the day it was made up of a couple large cities (Toronto and Hamilton) and numerous smaller communities. However in the past couple decades these smaller communities have been absorbed by Toronto, turning them into disgusting concrete jungles. These changes also resulted in unaffordable housing, the destruction of historical landmarks, an increase in crime, and millions of foreigners pouring into southern Ontario. Urban sprawl must be stopped and metropolises need to shrink.
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 300x168px
Have to drive at least 2 hours out of my city to see anything undeveloped. Man, fuck suburbs. What a miserable life. All the shitty parts of living in the city meet all the shitty parts of living in the country.
>>
>>980397
too much freedom for you commie?
>>
>>980358
cities in the us are shrinking slightly in recent years i believe.
but that means less undeveloped countryside? :(
>>
We'll be fine. Birth rates plummet rapidly as wealth increases, from all factors like technology/healthcare/etc.

We're pretty sure that humans are going to peak at 9 billion, then it's gonna fall (relatively-speaking) extremely fast. Then it'll be small, highly-advanced cities surrounded by nature reclaiming the suburbs. Unless we decide to have a nuclear war, in which case all bets are off.
>>
File: Civilization Dark Ages.png (48KB, 882x549px) Image search: [Google]
Civilization Dark Ages.png
48KB, 882x549px
>>980462
>>
>>980462
The Canadian government imports hundreds of thousands of immigrants every year. They want our population to reach 100M or something like that. Fucking insane.
>>
>>980462
I vote for nuclear war. All the nuclear weapons deployed against all of the cities and suburbs. Maximum civilian casualties. set us back a hundred years. Global cooling because of all of the dust in the atmosphere. I actually wouldn't care if I died as long as I knew we put a good dent in humanity.
>>
>>980466
:^)
>>
File: TYefqPu.jpg (359KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
TYefqPu.jpg
359KB, 600x600px
>>980466
American Christians are the ones ushering in the next dark age, boyo
>>
>>980358
I completely agree with the suburb hate.

The sad thing is that everyone I speak to seems to hate it aswell- and that includes immigrants and foreigners, no one agrees with urban sprawl except for offshore investors fucking up our housing market
>>
File: 1450679622811.gif (263KB, 480x479px) Image search: [Google]
1450679622811.gif
263KB, 480x479px
>>980466
>Implying we'd have rockets over 1,000 years ago
>End of Renaissance had equal technology to end of Roman Period, implying rome had fire arms.
>Dark ages send technology back to Egyptian era, somehow also had germ theory, hospitals, state universities, and feudal-progression.
>Implying technology can ever actually regress, an event that has never occurred at any point in human history.
Bad bait but I bit hard.
>>
File: back in my day.jpg (240KB, 1698x1131px) Image search: [Google]
back in my day.jpg
240KB, 1698x1131px
>remember when there were 0 stop lights on ~30 mile stretch of road where i live
>now there are 7
>mfw
>>
File: 1488515171975.png (1MB, 3630x1615px) Image search: [Google]
1488515171975.png
1MB, 3630x1615px
>>980486
>>980501
Things used to be better.
>>
>>980505
Back in the day, my road was a dirt road. Now it is a two lane and paved. I can get pizza delivered to my door now. I have DSL. It's getting less and less BFE every year.
>>
>>980358

I live in Hamilton anon. I know your pain. Recently the housing boom has decimated the nice fields and small pockets of forest in and around the city. Lot of nature gone, lots of bike trails gone. Still have Dundas Valley + surrounding around for some decent nature, but I don't know how long its going to last before a developer offers enough money to the right person to sell off some of the land.

The build up of the southern Golden horseshoe is a god dam tragedy. The best farm land in Canada turned into shitty condos and shitty surveys for shitty skinned people. When will they stop importing people, we don't actually have that much space fuck.
>>
>>980528
It's even worse in York Region. The changes in the last 10 years alone are mind boggling. Demographics, size, the very landscape of the towns are unrecognizable from just a short time ago. Every farm in my area either became a subdivision or is in the process of becoming one.
>>
>>980533

I can't even drive within 200k of Toronto without stress from the amount of urban sprawl there. I just. . . I can't mentally deal without a forested area within a 5 minute walk, I can't imagine having to drive out an hour for some nature, like, I get physically ill from trying to picture living in a city like that.

I'm not sure I can buy land in Southern Ontario when it comes time. Too expensive, anyone with a good piece ain't selling. Nice areas like Tobermory, townships around Barrie + Midland, Collingwood are getting super expensive. Even land way up around Sudbury is starting to get pricey for what it was just 5 years ago. I think Ill move down east to NB or something if I have to.
>>
>>980568
Foreign buyers have even reached the cottage market in muskoka and central Ontario. There is no escape. Not that I was going to buy a cottage, mine was built by my grandfather like a real summer home should be.
>>
>England
It's too late, I must escape.
>>
>>980358
>>980528
>>980533
>>980568
what is the greenbelt
and if you have a problem then leave faggots you can literally drive for 24 hours and still be in ontario go move to fucking listowel then if you dont like hamilton area good luck getting job
>>
i also live in the horseshoe

it sucks ball sacks but i'm hoping to go north or east soon. my job requires me to commute all day regardless so what's another hour?

>>980462
>universe 25
>>
>>980501
A better axis name should be scientific progress
>>
>>980358
Not much I live right next to a national park.
>>
>>980739
>what is the greenbelt

A green belt is an ever dwindling resource of sanity. Dwindling due to expanding humanity, just like what you are suggesting people do.

PROTIP: WE ARE FUCKING FULL! DON'T COME HERE!
>>
You know why suburbs exist, right? Because millions of people want to pretend to live in the country while still having access to the jobs and social life of the city, and that math just doesn't add up. If you want to live in the country, go live in the country.
>>
>>980799
It's only a matter of time until the rest of the country in southern ont is eaten up.
>>
>>980358
Unfortunately very little we can do without population control or improving housing shortage in the cities-proper. Your best bet as an individual is to get a job where you can work from home. I know a guy in Montana who makes $120k doing software engineering from home, only actually goes to company HQ once a month. He gets the benefits of /out/ while still making /in/nacity money. Very jealous, but hopefully when I finish my degree I can do something similar.
>>
>>980358
Tbh that layout is aesthetic as fuck from an aerial view.
>>
File: 13580121849.jpg (53KB, 470x685px) Image search: [Google]
13580121849.jpg
53KB, 470x685px
>>980358
Too much urban enviroment?
Go Urbexing
Gotta make the best of a shitty situation bitch.
Throw up some graff too
>>
>>980512
lost at kangdom
>>
>grandparents live in country
>big field behind their house
>used to be farmed but farmer stopped
>suddenly talk of building a housing development there
>nice older couple next door buy the field

ty
>>
File: 1490778738617.jpg (41KB, 536x626px) Image search: [Google]
1490778738617.jpg
41KB, 536x626px
>>980814
Couldn't govt just jack up the price of land? Make it cheaper to build wallsmarts and Ikea's on top of each other instead of sprawled horizontally
>>
>>982200
We need a Teddy Roosevelt
>>
File: 1489893916347.jpg (994KB, 2550x1700px) Image search: [Google]
1489893916347.jpg
994KB, 2550x1700px
American suburbs should be burned down
>>
File: 1484887896070.png (96KB, 562x415px) Image search: [Google]
1484887896070.png
96KB, 562x415px
>>982200
>Couldn't govt just jack up the price of land?

Government is why sprawl happens. Its so much more expensive to build vertically than horizontally because of health and safety related regulations. Cities go horizontal because of regulation. Even single western city ends up going wider because of how zoning is done with lot sizes and land use. Look at the part of the world with the weakest governments and the least amounts of regulation, i.e. old pre industrial cities and the third world. It was always cheaper to add a new story on top of your house for the extended family. It was historically always cheaper to work from home, and live above your business like was done in almost every city the world over until recently. Modern zoning and city planning, coupled with transportation planning, creates sprawl where people would not normally create it themselves. GOVERNMENT ISNT THE ANSWER THE THE PROBLEM, GOVERNMENT IS THE PROBLEM
>>
>>982631
This
>>
File: 1490929176548.jpg (490KB, 1764x1176px) Image search: [Google]
1490929176548.jpg
490KB, 1764x1176px
Mixed use is beautiful. Suburbs and zoning make me wanna kill myself.
>>
>>982631
What do you think about Japan's approach?

(You can build everything buildable in a lower Zone also in a higher Zone, except in Heavy Industry zoned territory.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGbC5j4pG9w
>>
>>980358
The real problem is mass immigration.
>>
>>982828
This. Until mass immigration is stopped every environmental problem will continue getting worse. Good news is that once the white genocide is complete in 30 years or so no one will ever mention the environment ever again
>>
>>982631
That's a lie and you know it. I don't like big government as much as the next guy, but if you actually knew the third world you'd know it gets urban sprawl in the form of shanty towns.
All the ugly of suburbs, even uglier.
>>
>>980358
What I don't understand is why so many 9-5 workers go live in suburbs. In city apartments you can just take a subway ride to work in 15 minutes, in the suburbs it's 2 hours of traffic in the highway to get in at rush hour, another 2 hours with everyone else to get out.
Sounds like the retarded way to do city jobs.
>>
>>982880

Because the cost of living is a lot lower in the suburbs I'd imagine.
>>
>>982631
>Look at the part of the world with the weakest governments and the least amounts of regulation, i.e. old pre industrial cities

Hahaha
Haha
Ha
Don't be daft. The amount of regulations in the US is a tiny speck compared to pre-industrial European cities.
>>
>>982988
I'd imagine that too, but honestly speaking city rents are not as bad as crushing mortgages, and you save thousands worth of car fuel too.
>>
>>982880
you'll understand when you have kids.
>>
>>980512

kek
>>
>>980462
Only European, North American and a few Asian countries have foreseeable serious birth decline, and that's being negated by immigration, mainly from countries with much higher birthrates. Sub-saharan Africa and MENA have absolutely explosive birthrates, and countries like China and India have billions of people crammed into relatively small areas of land. As these countries industrialize, they poison the environment with poorly regulated, dirty industry. Instead of viewing slow population decline as a good thing, the west is using it as an excuse to import millions of Ahmeds to ensure a constant, cancerous economic expansion.

Unless some sort of plague wipes out a generation, the third world will continue pumping out babies at a ridiculous rate, increasing as infant mortality goes down- who will then grow up and move into western countries and pump out even more babies. Maybe their great-grandchildren will have a more reasonable birthrate after integrating to some degree, but there's still a constant steady stream of additional migration.

At our current rate, earth is positively fucked.

Suburbs can't exactly be reclaimed by nature, a healthy forest can't grow over a plateau of pavement and concrete.
>>
>>980470
Our government is fucking deranged. We're the second largest nation on earth yet most of our population is crammed into congested, increasingly sprawling cities which our own people can't afford to live in. Then they want to import 300,000 Muhammads a year for the sake of diversity or some shit, and they all end up moving into Toronto or Vancouver.
>>
>>985076
That's why environmentalism is a scam because anything done to protect the environment (and always wastefully) will be overwhelmed by the tsunami of people who just don't gaf. Europe and north American environment will be like China or Brazil in 30 years and get worse every year after
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.