[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apalachian trail hiking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: large.jpg (70KB, 707x462px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
70KB, 707x462px
Greetings fellow /out/ists

I'm planning an action packed hiking trip to the US to celebrate me finishing college, and because of the fact that this might be my last 3 month vacations since I'd have to find a job once I'm back and also start my post graduate.

Problem is I'm from the southern hemisphere, so I can only take this vacations from late december to late march, which of course means winter. Since during winter doing the PCT is not an option, I thought of doing the southern half of the AT.

Is this a good idea? if so then:

>How far can I get in 2 months if I start from Georgia?
>How much money should I bring?
>How will the climatic conditions be in january-february? (cold, snow, rain, etc)
>Should I be worried about the wildlife I might encounter?
>How many people might I encounter on the trail in that time of the year?

Thanks in advance and please advice me on anything I might not be considering.
>>
>>980319
Also, I might add that I have limited experience hiking.

I hiked argentinian patagonia both in summer and winter, but I stayed at a hostel, so I have little to no experience camping, let alone in cold conditions.
>>
>>980319
Aliens will rape you.
>>
>>980319
>Better get up here soon José cuz it'll be hard to hike when Donny's wall is in yer way! Lol.

Anyways, it gets really cold in the far south and far north during the winter because the mountains are highest at those points. You may be better off starting in Virginia and hiking Maryland and maybe Pennsylvania where it will be warmer. As far as distance from the GA start goes, it depends entirely on how much snow falls. Especially in the Smokies.

Don't try to plan how far you're going to go, especially if you have limited experience. Just pack lightly but make sure you'll be comfortable enough. Make whatever miles you make, figure things out when it's time to go home.

DEFINITELY get AWOL's guide book -----> http://www.theatguide DOT com

I would bring about $100 cash at the beginning, but make sure you have means to get more later (bank account whatever). Once you get yourself established hiking, you'll probably want to carry less.

You probably won't see that many people.

You probably will see more wildlife than usual, and if you're not an idiot, it will be a interesting and memorable experience.

Hope this helps José
>>
File: LONGDISTANCETRAILS.jpg (123KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
LONGDISTANCETRAILS.jpg
123KB, 638x479px
>>980352
Just one last thought José,

You could feasibly hike the entire Florida Long trail. It is much warmer, although flatter and most people start it in January. I've wanted to do this myself soon desu.
>>
>>980352
>Don't try to plan how far you're going to go
OK, but how far can I hope to get if I keep a slow to regular pace?

>I would bring about $100 cash at the beginning, but make sure you have means to get more later
Is there any problem with bringing all the cash with me?

>You could feasibly hike the entire Florida Long trail
Florida's climate and geography doesn't appeal to me one bit

>Better get up here soon José cuz it'll be hard to hike when Donny's wall is in yer way! Lol.
Too late. I already have my travel visa from when I visited New york in 2016
>>
>>980353
This. You don't have to do the AT, there are so many great trails in the US. The AT isn't the same in the winter. A lot of hiker places in towns aren't open, almost nobody on trail, no trail magic, shitty weather all the time, don't do it. You need survival skills to hike it in the winter, it's so hard to do.
>>
>>980356
Will you think for yourself for once José? Fucking christ. YOU have the best answers to all these questions.
>>
>>980319
>How far can I get in 2 months if I start from Georgia?

Virginia

>How much money should I bring?

1000 a month to be comfortable

>How will the climatic conditions be in january-february? (cold, snow, rain, etc)

Terrible, miserable, you need to know survival skills

>Should I be worried about the wildlife I might encounter?

No, bears are hibernating, snakes are gone, no ticks, nothing at all to worry about. Probably the only good thing about winter hiking

>How many people might I encounter on the trail in that time of the year?

Almost nobody
>>
Yeah man dont limit yourself to the AT. Especially in winter.

The southern states are super easy hiking in winter, for the most part, but as soon as you hit elevation you're going to be in pretty harsh winter conditions. Once you get about halfway through PA you'll be in the dead of winter, and you might be stuck in several feet of snow.

Stores along the trail aren't open, and all the fun of the trail is kinda lost. The AT is an easy, we'll traveled trail. The fun comes from random acts of stranger kindness called trail magic, the social aspect of the trail, and the sights along the trail. Winter takes a lot of that away.

Unless you're experienced in winter hiking, don't try it. You'll need snowshoes at times, crampons at times, and winter gear rated to keep you warm in sub 0F conditions.

Find another trail for sure. Or just hike the very southern end of the PCT as a yoyo.
>>
>>980380
>Once you get about halfway through PA you'll be in the dead of winter
But I only plan to do the southern half of the AT. How's the winter gonna be there?
>>
Hike the Arizona Trail if you're going in winter. The southwest is warm even in January.
>>
>>980382
too many variables to say with certainty.
hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
a weeks worth of sunny and warm or a weeks worth of below freezing and snow.
Ive had both before. enjoy.
>>
>>980542
Also, how many people can I expect to find if I start on january 1st. I want some of the social experience too

Or maybe some /out/ist is interested in coming with me...
>>
>>980380
OP here.

Will I find more people and will stores be open if I start sometime in february? The social aspect of the AT is kind of important to me, but alas, I have to be back in argentina by the end of march.
>>
Who else here starting in April?

I'm going to be start April 10-11.
>>
>>980597
AT NoBo from 2011 here, post on here when youre passing thru VA/MD. I've been meaning to give back the awesome trail magic I got.
>>
>>980600
Sure if I remember. Are you in the /out/ discord? That's probably what I'll be on most.
>>
>>980604
whats the /out/ discord channel? I just made a profile, been meaning to for a minute now honestly
>>
>>980588
February is still off season, but there may be a few places open.
>>
the mountains in GA and NC still get snow so i wouldnt advise doing this especially if you have limited experience.
the GA section of the trail has the second most elevation change per mile (second to NH). you'll pack too heavy, not be conditioned and quit before 1 week
>>
>>980611
https://discord.gg/fr5Dv9f
>>
>>980319
Hey OP, when you get to Maine I'll do Katahdin with you. Ive done it for the last few who have come through.
>>
is there any sweet spot several weeks long with no ticks and no freezing to death without proper gear
>>
>>981787
Old women do it with not much more than hefty bags. Quit being a pussy
>>
File: grandma gatewood.jpg (35KB, 414x425px) Image search: [Google]
grandma gatewood.jpg
35KB, 414x425px
>>981843
in motherfucking KEDS son.
>>
>>980364
$1000 a month? Is he renting a loft in the trendy part of a city?

If OP can't do it for less than 200 then he's doing it wrong
>>
>>982391
Do you shoplift your food?
>>
>>982438
10 days of tuna - $30
10 days of dehydrated beans - $25
10 days of trail mix - $30

Not even $100 in a month bro.

You eat like a KING for $200, and can carry everything with you and none of it needs to be cooked. The beans can be soaked for an hour and be tasty.
>>
>>982443
Are you eating cat food?
>>
>>982470
Tuna is one of the best foods you can eat.

So are beans.

So are nuts.

You're going to be doing a hard activity.

Eat high fat and high protein.

You can buy the dehydrated beans and trail mix in bulk, and you can get day sized packages of tuna for just a couple bucks at walmart and they dont need to be refrigerated.

Isn't it glorious that the best foods you can eat while in the woods are also cheap as fuck?
>>
>>981993
yeah, but they don't make 'em like her anymore, and not walkin' in the snow either.
>>
File: thismaybe.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
thismaybe.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>982443
those tuna salad hobby kits with the crackers are pretty good. It's like I wanna throw up, but it's kinda tasty. If you want something different.
>>
>>980380
I've done plenty of winter hiking in VA and you overstate how extreme the winter is (granted, I avoid hiking on weekends with particularly bad weather). Maybe in the PA or NY sections of the trail what you say is true, but you won't get close to 0F in VA and certainly won't need snowshoes or crampons. Warm, water resistant boots, warm hat, and several layers of clothing are sufficient.
>>
>>982501

Do you just eat one can of tuna per day and nothing else? Are there lots of Walmarts near the trail? I'm sensing you are bad with money but maybe you are retarded
>>
>>982443
yeah man. I was amazed at how little money I spent out there. Fucking drank like a fish in towns too, ate all the steaks & burgers I could too, still had trouble maxing out at $200

If you think about it, good hiking food is going to be cheap becuase it needs to be 1. lightweight 2. have a great shelf life
>>
>>980319
i started the AT march 20 last year at Springer, it was 2 degrees celcius and the ground was snow covered. if you're starting in december i hope you have cross country skis.

just dont.
>>
>>982627
People don't realize you can do it with no money and like you said steaks and burgers galore and weed and booze, granted mostly just 40s and a few microbreweries but yeah tuna is your friend lightweight and keep your gains don't worry bought the stove senpal save them cans for folk art for the norms if you feel the need for dish but you don't unless you have anxiety or mental illness but that's hot goes away if you get out there and not be selfish with yo shit. Charma
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.