[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planning on going /out/ once I get sufficient gear. Problem is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1474574106617.gif (669KB, 768x256px) Image search: [Google]
1474574106617.gif
669KB, 768x256px
Planning on going /out/ once I get sufficient gear. Problem is that I only have a basic understanding of what I need. I plan on packing light as I'm a pretty basic bitch.

What I have/plan on buying
Sleeping bag and mat
Bivvy
Food
Water canteens (6 liters)
Boots
Adequate clothing
Poncho
Toilet paper
Backpack
Multitool
Flashlights
Knives
>>
Google it
>>
>>980028
Map and compass, learn how to use them, and tell people who don't want you to die where you are going
>>
>>980031
Yeah I was planning on getting these later. I'm going to try camping near some family friends house so that if I run into a sticky situation I would be close to help. I'll probably do this until I get comfortable with camping.
>>
consider a water filter like a sawyer squeeze or something, you don't want to carry water if you can avoid it because it's heavy as fuck

i also don't see fire making gear on your list (saw/axe, striker/lighter)
>>
Firstly read faggot, there is tons of this info out there.

What kind out of /out/? Hiking? Long camps? Bug out Scenario test-run? Mountaineering? Because that will determine what gear you will need and what weight you should be aiming for.

I don't see a first aid kit on the list which I deem essential even if it just comes down to painkillers, gauze and some moleskins for walking blisters

Forget a canteen and instead go for a bladder, something that can fit in a backpack and combine it with a water filter, like a Sawyer.

Fuck a poncho. Never used one never will, ditch it.

You have knives plural.
If you're not building some kind of tree fort leave the big fuck off rambo shit at home, too many people go out a purchase an ESEE Junglass when the most they will do it some feather sticking and cut the top off their mountain house bags.
Look into a good quality fixed blade of about 4/5 inches blade length.
Around 50-100 bucks should do.

Same with flashlights, focus on maybe two lights.
A more expensive light and maybe a cheaper headlamp, try to make the combinations different such as a light for throw and one for flood.

Fire - I always go for three ways of making it.

What you cooking on? you need a stove or something unless youre planning on living on trail mix for several days?

Give us some more specific criteria OP, the gear suggested depends on what you are going to do rather than the other way round
>>
>>980048
Planning on camping like >>980039

Yeah I do have a basic first aid kit I'm planning on building.

Also 2 liters of the water is in a bladder I was just too lazy to type it out.

I mostly use a pocket knife I've carried for about a year now. I was planning on packing a fixed blade knife just to be safe.

I figured the poncho could be used as a lean to shelter or to cover my backpack if it starts flooding.

Also my flashlights are a headlamp and a basic led light.
>>
>>980048
Also for the meal I'll probably just get mres or something that doesn't require heating.
>>
>>980065
Just carry one fixed and the multitool.
Either carry a dedicated hammock or tent setup, the whole lean to shelter thing is a meme unless youre into the whole bushcraft thing and even then its not very comfortable, if youre going to be carrying it then you might as well make it something worthwhile carrying.
Most good brand backpacks come with a raincover anyway.

Paracord and zip ties often come in handy for lashing gear to things or holding down equipment. Pretty cheap too.
>>
>>980066
I'd try an MRE first in the comfort of your own home, its 50/50 with people that love or hate them.
Some dishes are much better than others.

Personal preference is freeze dried stuff like mountain house, 9/10 flavours are great and you only need a small stove.
>>
>>980021
Allright list IMO.
Assuming that your /out/ing will be walking a distance to a camp spot, staying a night or two, and then walking back here's what I'd add or change:

- Ditch the poncho. If you're just camping out you will likely stay under your tarp if it rains. Otherwise rain clothes.

- If you're only staying one night out 2-3 liters of water is plenty. When im hiking I carry 3-4 liters depending on acces to fresh water. That gets me through a whole day of hiking and all the cooking as well, with some to spare for the next morning if I don't find any more.

- You only need one knife, and unless you need something like the can-opener from your multitool I'd ditch that as well.

- If you plan on having a fire going (and you aren't going to do any hardcore hiking where every gram counts) bringing a folding-saw to process firewood is nice.

- I'd bring somthing for comfort as well: A book, tea/coffee, tobacco, boose, etc.
>>
>>980132
The poncho was supposed to double as my tarp...

I'll probably she'll out the 50 bucks for a good tent though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.