[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is it Montana really like? And I ask this as an European,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: Montana-Ranch-Evening_Fall.jpg (155KB, 1600x811px) Image search: [Google]
Montana-Ranch-Evening_Fall.jpg
155KB, 1600x811px
How is it Montana really like? And I ask this as an European, I have this glorified imagine of a place with crystal clear water, green pine trees, dark grey mountains, few, dispersed people.

Is it worth crossing half world to visit it one day?
>>
Just avoid Butte/Billings you'll be ok
>>
>>979635
>Butte/Billings
What happens there?
>>
>>979627
That pic is about what I remember from when I was last there, well, that and the constant smell of bovine feces. Also, locals thought I was crazy for going hiking without a sidearm, because mountain lions.
>>
>>979650
>Also, locals thought I was crazy for going hiking without a sidearm, because mountain lions.
What is a foreigner supposed to do then?
>>
I've drove through a couple times and have family from there. It's really fucking cold. Like retarded cold. A lot of it isn't very interesting to look at really. Kind of like eastern Colorado. Great state though. Wish I lived there.
>>
>>979639
City shit. Because those are the cities.
>>
>>979666
>Butte and Billings are the only cities
Huh? I wouldn't want to live there, but Butte is a cool place with interesting history and friendly people
>>
>>979660
>Like retarded cold
Year round?

>>979666
I see. Thanks.
>>
>>979627
Assuming you're an /out/ist, yes, there is more than enough to see and do here to make it worthwhile.
>>
>>979673
>year around
Of course not. It gets fairly hot as well though by a southerner's standards it's actually really mild. I could be wrong about that though. The altitude in some parts of the state is so high that snow doesn't melt in June even though everything around looks flat. I always have to take a long break when driving through western Montana because of it.
>>
>>979659
>>979650

This is stupid. Mountain lions are not a danger to people.

Only one person in the last 117 years has been killed by a mountain lion in Montana, and it was a 5 year old kid.

True fact, more people have drowned in a giant flood of molasses in the last 100 years, than have been killed by mountain lions in all of North America.

More adult men have landed on the moon than have been killed by mountain lions in the last 100 years.

In fact, you're more likely to win the lottery for more than a million dollars twice, than you are to be killed by a mountain lion.

A side arm is absolutely 100% useless against a mountain lion. Anyone who believes otherwise is an absolute fucking idiot beyond measure. They're AMBUSH predators, and will disengage an attack if they're spotted. They kill by attacking from behind, and killing you nearly instantly with a bite to the back of the neck. If you really think you're then going to grab your sidearm and kill the cougar, you're an idiot. If you can see a cougar enough to aim at it, then it's already no threat to you.

If you disagree with this post, it clearly means you're also fucking retarded, and you really need to evaluate your intelligence....but, as with most unintelligent people, you probably think you're right regardless. You're not.
>>
>>979678
I think you're underestimating Montanans love of firearms. Also, they have pretty huge rattlers iirc.
>>
>>979680
If you can see a rattlesnake for enough time to draw and aim at it, it's also no threat to you.
>>
>>979678
Isn't it grizzly country tho?
>>
>>979627
>How is it Montana really like?
brutal winters that freeze the earth down to a depth of 4 ft, and wind that shreds anything on the steppe.
>>
>>979688
Firearms have been shown to have the same effective rate of deterring an aggressive bear as waving your arms. Bear spray is significantly more effective. For source, use google.

Only 2 people have been killed in Montana by a bear this century.
>>
>>979722
>waving your arms
>not singing the Bear song your ancestors passed down to you for generations
Yeah just get a gun.
>>
>>979722
But every mofo in Montana has a gun, so when in Rome...
>>
>>979627
Must get pretty cold. A relative of mine went to college in Bozeman. She said there were tunnels between buildings on campus. Also, guys living on campus could check their rifles in at campus police, and get them when they wanted to go hunting. She did alot of skiing. Sounded pretty great.
>>
your a fuckin dumbass people get killed in Glacier NP year round dont talk about shit ya dont know kiddo.
>>
>>979770
First, learn proper English.

Second, research bear related fatalities. There have only been 2 in all of Montana this century.

Third, come back here and post. This time, try not to look like an idiot.
>>
>>979733
That stuff is pretty standard for the mountain west and other cold places. A few months ago it got into the -40 degree range where I live. I use the tunnels at my school frequently and go skiing and snowshoeing a few times a year. Never checked any guns with the campus PD because I didn't own any until I was already living off campus.
>>
>>979627
i spent a week there a couple years back. alot of pristine forest. i also saw a bear get hit by a big rig on route 287.....all in all a cool fuckn place
>>
>>979627
the entire western USA is worth seeing. My favorite state is northern New Mexico.
>>
>>979690
Sounds lovely, something like northern Sweden perhaps?
>>
>>979627
Don't bother, it's cold, ugly and boring. Try Wyoming or Idaho instead.
>>
>>979627
Western Montana is gorgeous in the summer (and winter, just cold).

Once you get east of Billings it's like the badlands...

Also, Bozeman and Missoula are fun cities to visit. They're college towns. Also, hit Yellowstone.
>>
>>979722
>Bear spray is significantly more effective.
This has been debunked many times.
>>
>>979627
image is accurate from what I remember visiting it a couple years ago. Really awe inspiring natural beauty. Definitely recommend.
>>
>>979627
Billings resident, moved here two years ago, here are my impressions:
Fact Number 1: Billings blows like a prolapsed anus, residents are empirically the drunk, stupidest, most pathetic excuse for people I've ever met.
2. Montana is fucking huge, practically impossible to see everything in a short visit.
3. Probably going to see some faggot deer, on the road, whilst traveling at a reasonable 80 mph.
4. Bozeman and surrounding area is fucking dope, plenty of shit to gawk at.
5. Odds of running into bears/cougars are incredibly slim, moose ain't nothing to fuck with.
6. Do not go or visit a squaw reservation, fuck what the media has told you, it's a lawless, forsaken place.

Personally if I was in your position I would go to West Yellowstone, Bozeman, Glacier Park, Three Forks, or Ennis.
If you're looking to make an easy $50 locate yourself what is called a Hoodarite Colony. These tax evading, Amish posing, inbred motherfuckers will pay you to fuck their wives, because of aforementioned inbreeding.
>>
>>980526
Everybody here drinks m8, meth and heroin are much bigger issues in Billings
But yeah if you're going to stay here get out of there asap
>>
File: 1434581910059.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1434581910059.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>980526
>If you're looking to make an easy $50 locate yourself what is called a Hoodarite Colony. These tax evading, Amish posing, inbred motherfuckers will pay you to fuck their wives, because of aforementioned inbreeding.
Is this legit or are you fucking with me?
>tfw go visit montana and end up converting to the Amish religion, marrying some crazy european descendant and acquire US citizenship.

Also thanks to other for your thoughts on it.
>>
>>980545
Heard many jokes about it over time, asked my boss about these cucks, response given was:
" I've had a few guys working for me tell about how razors are against their religion and why showers are important to women"
I've never been down to the hoods myself but the local hype is consistent.
Also they'll steal anything not nailed down because " God provides everything we need"
But seriously, besides the people, Montana has a lot of good times for an outdoorsman.
>>
>>980575
You seem like kind of a miserable fuck. Guessing you haven't made many friends yet.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.