[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Morel mushrooms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (116KB, 600x497px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116KB, 600x497px
It's that time of year again
Post you tips and show off your harvest

Also how can I get them to grow in a new area? My parents has some land that would be great for it
>>
File: 20170327_182502.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170327_182502.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
southern Oregon
>>
I live in michigan, metro detroit. I bought some wood from a guy in northern michigan and had some growing on it
>>
>>978814
are those marijuana's?
>>
they are morel mushrooms >>978880
>>
>>978904
i mean the green things behind the mushrooms
>>
>>978907
oh i found a old mortar made from stone
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (72KB, 522x476px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
72KB, 522x476px
>>978910
>>
anyone know where I should be looking in western washington? I only know where to find chanterelles
>>
>>979123
innawoods
>>
window for them is slim but first nice day of spring is usually about the right time .
disturbed land like flooded or burnt.
find one you usually find more near by.
people who know where they are aint talking.
>>
>>978515
Growing them is tough, but the best you can do is spread the spores. Get a spray bottle and put some mushroom fragments in the bottle. (If I remember correctly on my mycology studies, morells aren't technically mushrooms because the spores are in the pits as opposed to gills or pores like a bolete, also spore release has something to do with it) Anyway, place some fragments in and spray around the woods. I've done this with amanita muscaria, because I absolutely love them. I haven't had success.
>>
>>978907
Digitalis or maybe garlic mustard
>>
>>980520
None of this is true, theres a solid 2-3 week gap of picking. And burnt forests are terrible. Pine forests with tons of deadfall are key. The acids in needles attract morels while leaves can cause too much groundcover and deter them
>>
plebs only hunt morels, there are mushrooms in the fall as well that are tasty as fuck
>>
File: IMG_1600.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1600.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Coworker and I stumbled across a few in the Smokies this week. They weren't very big yet but it didn't stop me from eating this one.

From what I've heard and read, morels have very specific environmental requirements and everyone seems to have a different opinion of what those requirements are. Your best bet at growing morels is going to be some sort of spore slurry and pouring it around suitable places on your property. Try something like this guy:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFugHA2WaI
>>
>>978880
Anybody can grow up to 4 plants in Oregon.
>>
>>981293
Why were you walking around with surgical gloves on?
>>
>>981239
None of this is true.

> theres a solid 2-3 week gap of picking.
You mean 2-3 week window?

>And burnt forests are terrible.
Absolute bullshit.

>Pine forests with tons of deadfall are key.
Nope.

>The acids in needles attract morels while leaves can cause too much groundcover and deter them
Nope.
>>
>>978515

They're symbiotic with certain species of trees. You can bury the mushroom spawn when planting trees and potentially get morels someday, culturing via other methods is very difficult.
>>
>>981411
Morel production in China is pretty efficient these days. Doesn't involve inoculating trees either.
>>
>>981242
any recommendations? Autumn has just started here in Australia

I'm going for slippery jacks in about 2 and a half weeks from now
>>
File: morels.jpg (35KB, 348x500px) Image search: [Google]
morels.jpg
35KB, 348x500px
>>
>>981242
>plebs only hunt morels, there are mushrooms in the fall as well that are tasty as fuck
but it's spring in the western hemisphere so who cares what is present in the fall right now?
>>
>>981396
We were spraying garlic mustard.
>>
>>981538
>but it's spring in the western hemisphere

>Argentina
>Spring

What did he mean by this?
Do you know how seasons work, anon?
>>
Any pop up in michigan yet? Its hard to judge when they will with this shitty spring were getting
>>
mushrooms in second photo by all the weed are not morels. the are false morels (Verpa)
they have a toxin in them....stoners
>>
File: zzz.jpg (457KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
zzz.jpg
457KB, 1200x900px
>>981977
all hail dubs.
hopefully the worthless hemp head took a nap.
>>
There's so many different types of morels, you have to be a bit more specific which one you want to hunt. They'll grow anywhere, but you have to know when.
>>
File: 1490970148787.jpg (26KB, 367x411px) Image search: [Google]
1490970148787.jpg
26KB, 367x411px
>>978814
>TFW NW coast
It's still a little too cold here for them to start really popping. I heard last year's burns, flood spots, and clear cuts are places to look, along with apple orchards?

Will be my first morel season ever.
>>
>>981977
Well son of a bitch, you're right.

Stems aren't hollow and caps aren't attached all the way down.

Someone might have a bad time.
>>
>>981977
>mushrooms in second photo by all the weed are not morels. the are false morels (Verpa)
lol yup
>>
>>982037
Recent burns, old apple orchards, and hardwood forests (poplar where I am) are safe bets. Just start looking.
>>
>>978515
in Croatia they grow like crazy
didn t know they were in America too
>>
>>978877
I live in Irish hills and haven't seen any yet. But if it keeps raining for the next to weeks I bet it will be a great season.
>>
File: image.jpg (197KB, 640x642px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197KB, 640x642px
Here's a small daily gather from last year, weak year, I was sick during the season. Hoping to find more this year. Here in northern michigan the season starts soon- getting excited!
>>
I've been reading up on mushroom cultivation for a bit, mostly on cubensis, but I've caught some stuff on these guys. I don't really know why people like them outside of appearance though
>>
NE here. Todays rain is melting the last snow off the ground. Any idea when to start looking?
>>
>>978814
Nice finds. The mortar is awesome, you should be looking for arrowheads in that same area.
I'm in Indiana, the best trees to look around here for morels our ash and Elm. Haven't found any yet this year they're just starting to come into it I'm going to wait a week or so. I will be posting pictures.
>>
>>981400
You're why we changed from sc/out/s to /out/ists; you're literally just arguing to be a shit.
>>
>>978880
whoever has the marijuana, just pass it on up to the front, mmkay
>>
Live in Kansas and have about a square acre of heavy woods in the back of my property. It's been raining for 5 days straight, hoping that when it warms up I will get at least 6 pounds out of it.

My best year was 7.

Sadly, last year, in my front lawn while mowing I ran over a giant patch that was probably 8 pounds in itself. It was literally just a bush of morels.
>>
>>978515

I am going out next week to find some of these bad boys and prepare them as a meal while camping.

I've read that they grow pretty well in the Rocky Mountain region so I am going to go up in the hills where it is wet and try my luck.

What's the best way to prepare these?
>>
File: IMAG0406.jpg (3MB, 3808x2144px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0406.jpg
3MB, 3808x2144px
Shite laddie, hunting season in michigan's been moved back a couple weeks. It won't stop snowing
>>
He (or you) gave completely false info.
>>
>>986091

I talked to my Grandpa and he said that back in the day they would fry them in egg batter. Thought I would share it with you all.

Sounds pretty tasty but then again he is a farm boy so that's probably just some old country way to do it that might diminish the taste.
>>
I haven't hunted morels in a long time. I didn't know you could grow them or whatever. I live in southern Wisconsin and I need some tips on hunting them.

Anyone have a guide or something?
>>
>>980546
>the best you can do is spread the spores
Totally forgot that I dumped my wash water in a nearby pine area after last year's hunt. I'm gonna go check that out.
>>
>>980546
Morels are mushrooms in the vernacular sense, but technically in a different division (Ascomycota) than mushrooms (Basidiomycota). They are more closely related to common molds like Penicillium and fungi such as truffles than, for example, button mushrooms.

Spraying spores of Amanita muscaria probably won't yield much success, because they are mycorrhizal, i.e.: they form obligate symbiotic relationships with compatible host tree roots. Adding innoculum to your area can't hurt, but it may not be successful. Might as well just throw mushrooms in the area and hope for the best instead of spraying spores on the litter layer.

Morels are ecologically interesting, because as a whole they seem to be saprotrophic (decomposers) and mycorrhizal (tree root symbionts). This is why cultivation efforts have been hampered and finding them can be a bit of a crapshoot.

I used to sell wild mushrooms at a farmers market. I'd clean my haul and toss the bits in a forest beside my backyard - lobster mushrooms, several bolete species, morels., chanterelles, hedgehog mushrooms, Hericium, etc. I've since moved, but I always wondered if the diversity of edible fungi would increase markedly after a few years.
>>
>>978515
Look up how to male the slurry and bucket the hell out of it. I am doing this and dont even like the fuckers. Wich reminds me i should go get my dogs and find some. Brb
>>
>>978515
Well, went and got the dogs and in true fashion forgot my phone and on the way back for it they lit the world on fire. Now im hot and cant breathe. And the fucking soiders aooarently picked today to travel by web. Fuck today. Im done.
>>
>>980546
Guy on youtube says bucket it. Sorsying doesnt flood the cracks and stuff well. If i can fucking find any this year i will cover the countryside with slurry. If it is possible for then to grow then they will.
>>
>>985844
Kek. Anywhere near southeast kansasbro? Will buy u a beer this weekend
>>
Ontario near Ottawa hear, looking to get into morel picking
Any tips?
>>
>>990519
here* fuck
>>
File: 20170411_105403_HDR.jpg (4MB, 4656x3492px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_105403_HDR.jpg
4MB, 4656x3492px
A few found today here in PA
>>
>>984797

What part of Indiana? I'm up here in the 219 and have been wanting to try mushrooming. I've been keeping a good eye out but up to now it's been fairly cold and everything is under water.

Is it to early yet? I feel like I should be seeing something by now.
>>
>>990557
which quadrant?
>>
File: 20170411_185200.jpg (3MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_185200.jpg
3MB, 2448x2448px
>>978515
Grew these fucks in my flower bed
Oregon
>>
>>978515
Tried again last night with the wife. 4 fucking trips and only ever found 1 faggot mushroom
>>
>>990711
...aaaaand got fucking poison ovy or something on the back of my hand. Every fucking time... 3am and i had to tear my house apart to find pink shit to put on it. So pissed off im probably up for the day. Fuck these stupid ass mushrooms
>>
>>990741
>poison ivy in early spring
Really?

Also, calamine doesn't really do anything.
>>
>>990796
Half the time i gotta get a shot. Mostly trying to keep it from spreading. Shit... bi got it in an ice storm. Every fucking time i /out i catch the fucking plague... work is busy as hell and im tired. Might try 1 more time tonight but i dont even like them. Was gonna try and groe some at work so i coukd give them away or sell. Or maybe just jonny appleseed this bitch with a water truck.
>>
>>990741

Use paint thinner and a lot of soap to remove poison Ivy. It's more about scrubbing the oil off, other than that your just treating symptoms and not the problem.
>>
>>990741
White gas lifts the oil and dries out the blisters forming them into scabs.
No fap recommended.
>>
>>990871
Thanks.
>>990905
Good thing its on the back of mynleft hand. Never catch it this early on so hoping for the best.
>>
>>978515
Man, I live in Oklahoma and our project manager is always talking about hunting them down. He said he'd take us out and show us how to hunt them down.
According to him It's all about spotting the right trees? I have no idea what he's talking about but I'm gonna have to take him up on that offer.
>>
>>990989
U should. Even if you dont eat them they sell for a fucking ton of money and people are always secretive of their fucking spots. You better take him up on it right the fuck now. Im on the state line in kansas and going in 30 minutes. If nothing else make a slury and try to spread for next year anon. I need a few bit dont wanna waste my buddies' hard saught after food. Wanna get my own and try the slurry. If it works i got acess ro a fucking spray truck and i will head south if you are up north east oklahoma or abouts
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.