[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nature reads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: book_in_woods_5_by_daemstock.jpg (2MB, 2272x1712px) Image search: [Google]
book_in_woods_5_by_daemstock.jpg
2MB, 2272x1712px
Every once in a while there are /out book threads and it seems like now is a good time for another.

>Walden
>Death in the long grass by Peter Capstick
>My first summer in the sierras by John Muir
>Journals by Lewis & Clark
>Man eaters of kumaon by Jim Corbett

Most recently i read The loss of the ship essex which is a collection of accounts from the survivors of a whaling ship that gets sunk by a whale in the south Pacific thousands of miles from the coast of Chile. It's pretty grim tale and also the inspiration for moby dick, but also gripping as these sailors cling to life in small boat with limited provisions while hoping to reach land after months of drifting.
>>
I couldn't get through Walden. Need to try again soon.

Vagabonding by Rolf Potts or the Alex honnold biography are both ok
>>
>>977537
Walden is very dry at times but there are passages which really embody the sense of adventure and appreciation of nature in incredibly beautiful language. But yea it's not a page turner either. Leave it in your bathroom and read 2 pages at a time while you do your business.
>>
File: 1833207.jpg (186KB, 721x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1833207.jpg
186KB, 721x1024px
also Where the Red Fern Grows
>>
Silent Spring if you're in the continental US and want to deeply appreciate what we could have easily lost.
>>
Sand County Almanac
>>
Anything Farley Mowat if you like the taiga forests or the colder elements
Also obligatory Jack London
>>
>>977535
The Essex was not the basis for Moby Dick in any large part. It was the published journals of the officers from the U.S.Ex.Ex. wherein they talked about a vicious white sperm whale named Mocha Dick they had heard of from Chilean fisherman, they captured a Fijian native with tattooed face, and their captain went completely mad (This same captain would later almost singlehandedly lose the US Civil War)
>>
The Mad Trapper of Rat River. Not really dramatically written but a true story and interesting. The guy was a fucking beast.
>>
Leaves of Grass
>>
Anything by David Quammen. Song of the Dodo and Monster of God are the best.
>>
>>977708
Not sure what the hell you're talking about...
>>
>>977535
I would say reading Ralph Waldo Emerson's essays is worth it.
>>
"Walking" by Thereau

"Jayber Crow" by Wendell Berry
>>
>>977543
Good idea. I had borrowed it from library and couldn't get through it in time. I'm also not the most /lit/ person but I try
>>
k2 version of into thin air. and i enjoyed it more.
>>
The Poetic Edda :D
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.