[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Camping for a week

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

File: 1482801979279.jpg (10KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
1482801979279.jpg
10KB, 227x222px
Ok going to be camping for a week with the girlfriend.

In Oregon wilderness.

Plan on hiking 50-80 miles, more if we feel like it.

Bringing tent, tarp, 3 blankets(same size as 2 sleeping bags), muh innawoods knife, 100 feet of paracord, rainjackets, plus extra set of warm layers and multiple extra socks, some water bottles and we have a water source figured out as we'll be near a river.

And a deck of cards and some lighters for fire.

So far for food were thinking, a 2-3lbs of trail mix, 10 cans of beans, baggie of multivitamins, 2lb tub of peanut butter, granola bars and pop tarts.

Obviously most of this food has the same nutritional value so we'll be dosing multivitamins and drinking extra water.

Any advice? Please be sensible.
>>
Bait...?
Side note: Enjoy shitting your life away from a shitty meal while /out/. Get something healthy.
>>
>>977348
Like what? So far this is the plan.

Roughly 10,000 calories for 5-6 days.
3 pounds of peanut butter/peanuts
5-6 cans of beans.
1 pound of dates.
1 box of pop tarts.
10 multi vitamins.

This is for each of us.

What do you suggest we do? A week's worth of food is a lot to bring. Peanuts and beans can't be too unhealthy with multivitamins.
>>
>>977357
Thats fine. I was homeless for a year and lived innawoods and all i ate was bean dip tortilla chips peanut butter honey and multivites. Unless you both really love poptarts you may be better off taking granola bars instead of them
>>
>>977365
I just figured we should do something other than nuts, but she would prefer granola bars.
>>
>>977370
I hear ya, id never eat a bunch of dates. Theyll keep ya regular though if ya know what i mean, which is always a plus.
>>
>>977357
Good luck carrying all that.

I bet you and your fat girlfriend make it approximately 8 miles before you give up and have feet blistered to fuck.

If you honestly are bringing actual canned beans you're fucked.
>>
>>977383
Fuck you, eat a dick, kys my man, yiff in hell etc.

Leave OP alone he dindu nuffin wrong
>>
>>977383
Lol so what do you advise I bring?
>>
>>977397
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=backpacking+meals

Now isnt that easier than asking a bunch of strangers on a cantonese basket weaving forum?
>>
>>977332
http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/21416/high-protein-hiking-foods/

http://sectionhiker.com/10-ultralight-backpacking-foods/
>>
>>977402
He is fine you fucking sperg
>>
>>977404
>>977402
So maybe I'll add some tuna and some cheese to the selection. The girlfriend is vegetarian.

What would you estimate how many calories of protein and fat dense food we should bring? Right now I'm thinking 10,000 calories each, but if we burn 3,000 calories per day we'll need 15,000 calories to pack....
>>
>>977409
Youre good to go ignore ULfags
>>
Where are you going?
>>
>>977411
Southern oregon
>>
>>977409
Imo rather than counting calories just make sure you have enough meals for the whole trip and then bring more snacks than you think youll want. Im always snackin it up inna woods.
>>
>>977418
Ive got a bad habit of just going with my gut about things so this time around im going to go off of the quantitatuve advice of others and see how bizarre my usual techniques are.
>>
>>977397
Not liquid filled steel cans of beans you dumb fuck.
>>
>>977425
Fine, that's sensible advice. I now need to consider what I would replace beans with. I'm sacrificing bringing cookware to fit more food overall. So it's all got to be non-cook. I think tuna or cheese or granola bars would be a decent substitute for beans. Agree?
>>
>>977431
If you have water just bring dry bagged beans and a metal cup to cook them in
>>
>>977431
Dude. YouTube drying your own backpacking meals.
>>
multivitamins won't matter over such a short time period.

they don't hurt, but c'mon.
>>
>>977475
Uhhh wat?
>>
>>977475
I mean it'll just be a little baggy of them to tie up any loose ends our bodies have.
>>
>>977475
They don't help at all, ever. You got jewed
>>
>>977514
>vitamins do nothing for you

Okay bud.
>>
>>977651
Not an argument, homo
>>
>>977397
>>977409
>vegetarian girlfriend.
This just got a lot harder.

Dehydrated foods are your friends. You are working your way along a river so water supply is not an issue. Bring water filters. Remember to boil or filter all water before use.

You are along a river, fish. If it was later in the year I'd say look for salmon berries, thimble berries, and alpine strawberries, but March is still too early for those (I think). If dandelions are up add those to the list. It's been too long since I lived on the coast to remember what else might be in season. Check a book.

Honestly, I'm never that fond of calorie counts. Log what you normally eat in a given day. Not from a caloric standpoint but an ingredient standpoint. How many ounces of meat, carrots, eggs, potatoes, whatever.

Dehydrated foods to consider:
Powdered Eggs - OvaEasy are top tier.
Powdered Milk - Peak is my fav.
Potato Slices - Augason Farms #10 can is 7 bucks at Walmart.
Craisans - Costco sells large bags of them. Dehydrated cranberries.
Dehydrated Vegetables - Rainy Day Foods makes #2.5 cans which are a good amount for camping. Broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, etc, etc.
Dehydrated fruit - Rainy Day or Augason Farms. Apples, bananas, peaches, etc. Dehydrated and not freeze dried.

Other good stuff:
Oil. Keeps you lubed.

Remember: weight is the enemy.
Any cans of dehydrated food should be repacked into bags.
If water is available, bring more dehydrated goods.
If this is your first hike try for a 2 day instead of a week.
Dehydrated beats freeze-dried hands down. Freeze-dried takes up too much space for what you get.

That's just the food. Your gear list will probably also need work. Weigh your pack and see how many pounds you are looking at. Have you ever hiked any distance with an equal pack weight?
>>
>>977332
Just diet, you little cobra cowboy boot bitch.
>>
>>977332
I've heard the aminos in rice compliment the aminos in beans very nicely.
Peanut butter lacks tryptophan, milk is a good source of that.
Some olive oil might go good with the beans.
>>
>>977332

>deck of cards
>for fire

omgg anon...sweetie, please get better kindling
xoxo
>>
>>977841
Oh come on the cards isnt for fire just the lighter
>>
>>977841
>t. big fat hairy gay man
>>
>>977707
He's obviously a retard. They are going to get helicoptered out and he 200k in debt. Fuck them.

He's not going to lose to you. This dumb Fuck is going to take a Costco 10 pound tub a peanut butter and 15 pounds of canned beans. Let him Fuck his back and feet up. He's stupid.
>>
>>977357
no offence bro but your food selection fucking sucks.

how about instead of carrying stupid blankets you take down bags (lighter) and you take some regular, you know, tasty, food.

>no steak
>no eggs
>no oatmeal
>no powdered milk
>no chocolate
>no bacon
>no bread
>no fresh fruit

I keep my lightest and simplest food for the last days but at the start I be eating like a fucking king
>>
>>977900
>>977927
Lol ill take pics for you haters later
>>
File: 20170326_160511.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_160511.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
1/4

3 very large blankets, one is wool.
Large fly-fishing jacket. Waterproof very warm.
100ft paracord.
The buck knife that I will horrendously abuse.
>>
File: 20170326_160527.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_160527.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
2/4

It's bloated because I've jammed a large 8x10 tarp in with the tent itself.

Has held up through lots of rain.
>>
File: 20170326_160730.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_160730.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
3/4

Had to stitch my pack up

It's an old military bag.
>>
File: 20170326_160804.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_160804.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
4/4

Pack loaded up with everything picture.

Not pictured: GF's rucksack, our food, cheap small pot to boil stuff over fire, the clothes we'll be wearing on this week long outing. Water bottles.

Lots of room to spare in this pack.

The blankets will be more than enough for the two of us, especially with our clothes, and coats.

Items not pictured won't total more than 15lbs, for both of us. What is pictured only weighs about 10lbs.

So 25lbs between us. Very comfy camping, too.
>>
So for food I think I'm more organized on that idea now.

Dehydrated beans.
Cheese.
Tuna.
Cocoa mix.
Granola.
Peanuts and peanut butter.
Granola bars.

I think it'll be a very comfy stroll through the woods for a week.

Not sure of the concern you folks have.
>>
>>978006
>no hip belt
not gonna be very comfy m8
>>
File: 20170326_163857.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_163857.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>978014
It's the comfiest pack I've ever used

So these are our sleeping bags. Mines the small one, and 0 degrees. It's nice. Hers is the large one, it's 30 degrees.

We could take these, or the blankets.

Leaning towards the blankets as of right now. 3 blankets has got to be comfier than 2 sleeping bags.
>>
You know, I'll probably go sleeping bags and then my wool blanket.

Maybe another blanket. We really do have a lot of space in our packs.
>>
Are you not carrying any clothes?

No way is your total weight 25 pounds, more like 45
>>
>>978006
Hahahahahaha. That pack.

Holy shit.

You're going to make it 5 miles and give up or camp at that same sport for days and go home.

Good luck doing that 50 to 80 miles you talked about retard. If you were super shredded and you guys ran marathons and shit you might be able to carry all that fucking weight in that shit bag but you are going to hurt yourself.

Does your dumb as at least have some darn tough wool or smart wool socks and silk sock liners? You're feet are going to be blistered to fuck.
>>
>>978033
It very obviously is 35 or more. He's a dumb ass. His GF is going to trash her feet and he's going to pull something or hurt his spine without the hip belt or internal frame support a multiday 50 mile plus bag needs.

He probably thinks most backpack weight should be directly on his shoulders.

He will come back and post pics from a single spot he made it to. Look up trip report or another forum for the full trail pics and then post those pretending it's his.

He's not going 80 miles with that in a week. Dumb fuck probably has cotton socks and underwear and shirts too.
>>
>>978036
>>978033
Nope, it's all pretty light weight stuff.

You know, there is nothing hard about walking.

Keep in mind this is also getting split with GFs pack.

I'll take pics of them fully packed tomorrow. I bet neither pack is even filled. I also bet both to be below 15lbs.

This is a leisure activity.
>>
>>978039
You are an absolutely worthless poster and I hope you know it.

No, size DOES NOT EQUAL MASS. Those items are bulky, NOT HEAVY.

Please use your brain.

Yes, I know waist straps are nice. They're irrelevant for under 30lbs unless you have a fucking baby back.
>>
>>978043
And the total elevation gain and loss is? Or are you walking across a totally flat level street?

>>978042
>>978041
People spend 1 grand easily building a multiday ultralight kit to be under 10 pounds.

Your gear is heavy. You're just too dumb to realise it. Put all the gear I'm your bag with food and your daily water included. Step on your bathroom scale without it. Then on again with the bag and subtract the difference. Hilarious your forgetting food and water weight.

I hope you're 18. It's going to be a good learning experience and I can't wait for you to listen to your girlfriend cry and bitch when her feet have a huge blister from the cotton socks she has. 80 miles in six day? It's not going to go well. That's 13 miles per day. Good luck.
>>
>>978041
Fake and gay. Good job rusing us faggot
>>
>>978048
I hope it's fake but I keep responding because part of me is genuinely concerned he talked some girl into this who thinks he's some tough man's man and he's going to get her hurt and they will both have to be rescued and waste my god damn Taz dollars.

Hope it's a ruse but how many people have to get helicoptered off babbys first mountain every year? A lot.
>>
>>978047
It's hills but nothing about 6k feet.

Really though, I'm a wildland firefighter ad used to hiking with 50lb packs all day WHILE working. My GF hangs withe very well when we do /out/ stuff.

You folks are being elitist fuckbags just to be elitist fuckbags.

I'm so surprised you would dick someone around over something the weight of a school bag.

I did account for water and food weight. Thats factored into the 25lb weight for both of us combined.

Really, I swear to you guys this isn't even challenging. This is bizarre how you think it's so difficult to go for a walk.

13 miles per day? I'm actually afraid we might have to camp at somewhere for 2 whole days because of our pace. I'm a grown ass man, by the way.
>>
>>978048
>>978050
Lol you guys have to be trolling me this is fucking crazy
>>
>>978061
Incorrect.

This is also silly. Is this how you troll on /out/?
>>
>>978061
Lol. Hilarious. At least they will be easy find
>>
>I'm super experienced and fit
>How do I camp with my Walmart and Goodwill gear, what can I eat?
>>
>>978077
Honestly I was just fishing for more ideas since I'm doing it for basically gas and food costs. Lol. Gave all my camping gear to a hobo last year for reasons I regret.

Wasnt expecting you guys to sperg out so badly over a really low difficulty hike. Homeless people have way worse supplies and are just fine.

We're both skilled. I'll stop using this website to filfill my wilderness dialog. You folks are the worst.
>>
>>978081
Homeless people sleep under a bridge and steal and beg for money to buy booze on street corners. They don't hike 13 miles a day
>>
>>978081
Be gone faggy larper
>>
>>978081
>>978054
The blatant lies are shocking.

You're on the Internet. You don't have anyone to impress. I feel bad for you.
>>
>>978082
Listen, I get that you spent a lot of money on stupid fancy gear. It isn't needed. It's really not. I'm sorry you must feel terrible.

I could do this in a wet suit only eating twizzlers.
>>
>>978081
>gave all my camping gear away last year and thus forgot how to eat and camp
>>
>>978086
Really no lies. It's more difficult to camp cheaply than to do it expensively. Brain storming on cheap things is a fun activity. Sorry that you disagree.
>>
>>978088
You guys are literally imaging that im without skill because i DARED to ask a simple question i already knew the answer to

All of you. Get fucked.
>>
>>978090
>It's difficult to camp cheaply so I gave away my camping gear I've got my multi vitamins and battonning tool
>>
>>978091
Right, how foolish of me to offer advice to the All Knowing Wizard of Liquid Shits. Have fun.
>>
>army duffel bag
>carrying cans
>multivitamins

inb4 OP doesnt make it back
>>
File: 20170328_121216.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170328_121216.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>978683
It was fun as fuck and we finished the trail very early

Tbh it rained the last 2 days and the duffel bag was like 60lbs by the end of it because it was soaking wet lol
>>
>>978323
My shits became quite regular in comparrison with the shits I take while viewing 4chan. Was comfy.
>>
Found lots of evidence of mountain lion activity for anything that was above 5k in elevation, didn't see any signs of bears.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.