[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/, found this fruit(?) on my travels, anybody know what it is?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /out/, found this fruit(?) on my travels, anybody know what it is?
>>
>>976177
Part of the world? On a tree, bush, vine, etc?
>>
>>976185
Growing on a vine in an abandoned part of the city, we're talking about 2 - 4 years of neglect, no maintenance whatsoever.
>>
Can you cut it open and check for pits or a seed pattern?
>>
>>976186
>the city

What part of the world? What city? Obviously someplace warm for this time of the year. Cut it in half and take pics for us to see the seeds and such.
>>
File: IMG_0626[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0626[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>976191
It was taken in the city of Newcastle, Australia, currently going through the start of Autumn. For those unfamiliar with the city, several of the train stations have been abandoned for a long time now and the 'tracks' have been completely overrun by nature, it looks like a river of grass. This fruit was in the way so I plucked it and was curious as to what it was.
>>
Looks like an unripe melon op. Maybe a honeydew or variant of that.
>>
>>976177
Wild Cucumber.
>>
>>976177
Cucumis myriocarpus
>>
>>976401
Seems like this, toxic too.
>>
>>976405
Cucumis myriocarpus(paddy melon) is often confused withCitrullus lanatus(theAfghan or camel melon) in Australia, where both species are introduced.Cucumis myriocarpushas many small fruit, hidden under the leaves. The fruit are smaller than a golf ball and green in colour, developing to yellow on maturity. The larger melons commonly seen on roadsides in rural Australia are in factCitrullus lanatus, a wild relative of the watermelon.[3][7][8]The confusion is widespread in Australia, such that in common parlance, the term "paddy melon" is understood to mean the larger green/yellow fruit of theCitrullus lanatus. Children in rural Australia often use the fruit of this plant as an opportunistic source of entertainment, for example by throwing it at each other's feet[citation needed].
>>
Most images feature the fruit with pricklys. Apparently they are not present on the younger fruits.
>>
>>976422
Older fruits possibly?
>>
This species can hybridize with several other members of the genus - those that are most closely related to the gherkin, Cucumis anguria.
>>
>>976177
Looks bigger than a golf ball in your pic.
Smaller Citrullus lanatus maybe.
>>
>>976177
Does it smell bad?
>>
>>976177
Looks like a typical gourd http://www.rareseeds.com/bushel-basket-/
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.