[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ idiot of the week - "lets blame technology" edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4341126/Woman-survives-5-days-desert-near-Grand-Canyon.html

>Amber VanHecke, 24, set off in her Ford Edge on March 10 near the Canyon's South Rim in Arizona. After following her GPS down a road which didn't exist, she ran out of gas and became stranded on March 12.

>She spent five days surviving on emergency food and water while waiting for someone to rescue her.

>Eventually on March 17, she abandoned the vehicle and walked 11 miles to find a phone signal to call local authorities for help.

>VanHecke was eventually rescued by an air ambulance pilot as she walked back to her car where she had left notes for anyone that might come across it.

how exactly does one drive down a road that does not exist?
>whatisamap.jpg

and now she has the gall to ask other people to pay the medical fees resulting from her stupidity
>>
>>975903
>11 miles

So, like that is like a morning run. I think I'd have just called a friend and been like, "dude, I found our next part spot, now bring me some water, a burger, and gas."
>>
So she was smart enough to carry food but too stupid to fuel her vehicle?
Her tank must have read empty before she left the highway.
>>
>woman

There's your problem
>>
File: AustraliaBTFO.png (55KB, 1302x1056px) Image search: [Google]
AustraliaBTFO.png
55KB, 1302x1056px
>>975903
There's just so many layers of stupid here.
>>
I actually work with a friend of this lady and the way she tells it she used up all her gas trying to find her way back wherever she was going.

Guessing from the rest of her stories about the rest of her friends though I'm willing to bet they're all fucking idiots. Especially since she at least grew up in Texas and should know better than to let her tank get low.
>>
>>975928
>used up all her gas trying to find her way back wherever she was going.

I guess turning around was too difficult? I'm not familiar with GPS shit, but I'd think there would be some reverse course thing you can back track your history even?
>>
>>975913
Something similar happened to a friend of mine. "Strong independent woman" type.

She was out searching for a new mountain hike with her useless little poodle dog. As she neared the area, her GPS lost signal and stopped updating. She had no idea where she was going, but "thought" the random dirt road she picked looked correct, so she continued driving along, completely oblivious.

Before long she had gone too far, gotten herself horribly lost, and ran out of fuel. The sun was going down and she decided now was the time to hike (for several hours) back down on foot to try and call for help. Fortunately, a local native guy who lived in the area found her and gave her a lift back to cell reception. Dumped her at some backwater gas station where she was stuck until her parents came and got her.

Who the fuck goes into the mountains without enough fuel? Lucky she didn't get raped or something.
>>
This story does not add up.
I think she went out there to an hero but chickened out.
Now we have to see her inna news for weeks because women are stronk.
If male no story.
>>
>>975903
>After following her GPS
Jesus Christ, please don't ever do this, guys. Look at the maps, study the area, plan your route, and only turn on your GPS if you're uncertain or lose your way. Your sense of direction and distance is the absolute last thing you want to outsource to a machine.
>>
>how exactly does one drive down a road that does not exist?

Have you never been off pavement?
>>
>Story says google sent her off road.
>Picture shows a road
>>
>>975974

>Who the fuck goes into the mountains without enough fuel?

You answered this in your first sentence. Pay attention
>>
>>975974
Are you a woman? Thats a really long store that could have been condensed in man speak.
>>
First, leave without studying the area?
Two, why not have a map...? + GPS?
Three, why not have enough gas for a long time
Four, why not walk the way out you came in...?
Five, 11miles...? ~22km (Canadian here) that is a fucking walk in the park, I've walked 60km in a day before (paved along the highway long story)
>>
>>975905
>11 miles
So you run 17 kilometers in the morning?
Me no think so.
Anyway, yea, its not a long distance and stupid bitch is stupid.
>>
>>975980
Clearly, sir, you know few women.
>>
>>976000
Not a woman, just an autist.
>>
>>976000
Kek I knew this bitch that did damn near that exact same thing, cept she ended up gettin found by some piss indian what dropped her off in bumfuck nowhere to wait for her parents. what a dumb hoe.
>>
>>975937
You can if you set the GPS right. But most gps/apps have a preloaded map, I'm assuming she couldve at the very least used the GPS and navigate with that. GPSs take so much of the hard work of navigation out of navigation. You'd think 5 days would be enough time to try and navigate with that.
>>
>>975903
Tbh she did mostly the right things for a casual and it's far far more than I expect out of people after living in Arizona and seeing a rescue chopper almost weekly.
>>
A lot of people these days can't find their own nose without help of GPS maps. They just never had need for looking around instead of just checking the red line on their phone
>>
Props to her for not panicking and running blindly into the desert I guess, but holy shit that whale could have survived a month off her stored fat, five days is not impressive. Also, her emergency food is fucking ramen?
>>
>>976072
not that guy but I do 26km in the morning
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
>>976072
Not anymore, but I ran 15 miles 3 times a week in the morning a couple decades ago. Now I realize how retarded it was doing that and just walk 5 miles 3 times a week instead. I can still easily run 20 miles, but no thanks.

PROTIP: wear bandaids over your nipples!
>>
>>976072
Fairtex gym in Thailand made its athletes run 15km every morning as a warm up.
>>
>>975903
death by GPS, the german family lost in death valley was a good one
>>
>>976309
what the fuck. Do you have a job?
>>
>>975903
>americans
>>
>>976500
Even a lazy jogging pace (10min/mile; 6mph) it would take 2.5 hours to run 15 miles.
>>
>>976516
>europoors

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/heat-blamed-death-german-man-death-valley-national-park
>>
>>976000
>Anon doesn't like descriptive story, instead wants people to write in stripped down 1984-style newspeak

kys you faggot
>>
>>975980
Pretty much, first thing I thought when I heard the details
>>
feature film when
>>
>>976771
I bet that bitch in the OP wished she would have filled up at 1984 gas prices to blame other shit for fucking up out in the mild wild
>>
>>976841

Gas prices dropped by more than 50% during the 80s and 90s while the stock market went up 1000%. Millennials really did get fucked. No wonder you all are homeless or NEETs
>>
>>975928
>she at least grew up in Texas
I think I found why she's so stupid, guys.
>>
>>976072

Not him, but I walk between 5 and 10 miles a day in the summer and I'm a fatass (6'2 260 25%). Back in wrestling we had an hour run after practice on Monday's and Wednesday's. It seems perfectly reasonable that someone runs 11 miles a morning.

All that aside this woman is a fucking idiot for multiple reasons, but the thing that bothers me most is the running out of gas. You ALWAYS watch your gas when driving in the middle of nowhere and when you reach half of when you have used half of it you turn the fuck around and go back.

How do you use all of your gas without thinking "I need to turn back before I get stranded"
>>
>>977167
There are many people who think, "there should be something just around the next bend". That's half the problem.
>>
>>975983
idk about you but most people in my city are absolutely hopeless without their precious google maps. my gf has had to pick me up from work like 9 times this month and every time
>"hey text me the address"
everyone acts like im fucking magellan because i can get from one side of town to the other without a gps.
>>
File: 1316226981974.jpg (12KB, 256x170px) Image search: [Google]
1316226981974.jpg
12KB, 256x170px
Fat pigs shouldn't be allowed outside desu
>>
>>976391
Why was doing that retarded? Didn't you enjoy it?
>>
>>976000
Fuck off retard
>>
>>976714
Some French family died in White Sands a few years ago because they went for a hike during the hottest part of the day with one plastic water bottle
>>
>>977167
I've only run out of gas once. For awhile I didn't believe it was actually possible. Silly I know.
>>
and she's deleting any comments on her video diary that criticize her and don't say "you go girl!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pWEJcVHawo&t=3s
>>
>>977566
I have several times. Then I got a new gas cap with a better seal and the gauge started working properly again.
>>
>>976850
go to bed grampa
>>
youd think with gps and technology these days you could program a car to tell you when you are getting too far to make it back to a gas station on the same tank. sort of like a civilian "bingo fuel"

Sure you shouldnt make this mistake but sometimes you just fuck up/lazy/distracted/unaware etc..
>>
>>975903
Some dirt roads get neglected and not driven on for so long that they are overtaken by nature. I've driven on dirt roads that aren't on any maps, and I've found where dirt roads don't exist anymore, despite being on a map.
>>
Those tits are literally her only asset. Disgusting
>>
>>977950
haha she removed the video
>>
>>975903
it could have been a lot worse btw. if she didn't do at least half of it right she would have died.
>>
Sounds like she drove down an abandoned dirt road or a wash.

Read the Death Valley Germans story.
>>
>"These are the desperate selfies taken by Amber VanHecke, a 24-year-old hiker who became stranded in the Grand Canyon for five days when her car ran out of gas"

>desperate selfies

Given her mass, these were not her first or her last.
>>
>>978764
>instead of walking or trying to signal I'll sit by my car and take selfies for my normiebook account

Americans
>>
>>976309
Seriously? Even elite marathon runners don't run that much. That's a half-marathon.
>>
>>978764
>I might die out here so I'll start taking lots of shitty pictures of the sun which everyone knows about and videos about how upset I am that I'll die thanks to my own stupidity.
>>
>>976066
>Three, why not have enough gas for a long time
Woman I know does this all the fuckin time
>borrow her car
>fuel indicator is always on the little white line under the red line
>ask her about it
>"yeah diesel is so expensive so I never fill much more than ten liters at a time "
???
>>
Way to make arizonans look dumb, bitch.
>>
All mein Hass...
>>
>>979057
yeah i never got that, are they afraid it will dissipate? i always tank full and usually when the meter drops to quarter i try to find a station.
>>
File: 1310416436639.jpg (35KB, 450x319px) Image search: [Google]
1310416436639.jpg
35KB, 450x319px
>>975903
>>She spent five days surviving on emergency food and water while waiting for someone to rescue her.
>>Eventually on March 17, she abandoned the vehicle and walked 11 miles

I'm a 49 year old out of shape pack-a-day smoker and I could easily walk 11 miles.

Why the fuck did she sit there for five days BEFORE she decided to take a walk?!
>>
>>979562

panicked probably. or she isn't that intelligent. She probably thought she had driven for 10s of miles in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and thought there was no way back without walking.

That or she's just a lazy, stupid fuck. I pick the latter.
>>
>>978764
Are people forgetting that "selfie" isn't the only word to describe photographs/pictures?

A selfie, as far as I know, is a photo one takes of oneself, without or without someone or something else; I constantly see people referring to a picture of their pets, or food, or whatever else as "selfies". This pisses me off too much, and it shouln't.

>inb4 REEEEEE
>>
>>976072
You're kidding, right?
>>
>>975974
I was kind of hoping you'd say she ate the poodle.
>>
>>980876
>concerning yourself with the idiocy of millennials dipshits

dont
>>
and now this chick will be on 20/20 tonight...
>>
File: 1488923865443.jpg (26KB, 367x411px) Image search: [Google]
1488923865443.jpg
26KB, 367x411px
>>975903

this made me angry
>>
>>975980
>If male no story.
Pretty much hits the spot. A fucking man wouldn't have stayed put until he ran out of provisions. And the fucking phone as 11 miles away.
The bitch just had to walk 11 fucking miles for fuck's sake.
>>
>woman does something dumb, stupid
"geez louise, why are all women so stupid?"

>man does something stupid
"geez, that guy's an idiot."

subtle misogyny is still misogyny, guys. Stop it.
>>
>>982800
Hey beta fag! Now, do you wanna get your jaw smashed with my right hand or my left? ...
*WHAM!*
Beta fag down, over.

I hate fags like you. Shut up or get OUT of /out/ or your jaw will be the last thing for you to worry about.
>>
>>979562
Probably because every other survival guide specifically says "don't leave the fucking vehicle unless you have to"
>>
>>982771
It was 11 miles from the car to a CELL SIGNAL

she didn't walk a straight line to a fucking pay phone. She may be retarded but come on, use your brain dude. At least criticize her properly
>>
>>983059
What the-?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.