[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Summer Jobs General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

So /out/, what are some recommended summer jobs? I'll be driving up to Alaska in June to look for some work, preferably in the fishing industry or maybe some forestry work. Anyone have any advice? Other anons feel free to discuss other summer job topics.
>>
Age and interest dependent, but you could check out working at a summer camp. The pay is generally shit, but it's a free place to live, free food, often free clothes for the outfit. I worked last summer and pulled in 2100 after taxes. It came out to like 2.50 an hour but I'd do it again. Granted I'm only 20.
>>
I lived in Alaska and despite the pop culture image of it, its not a developing frontier and there is no shortage of unskilled labor
>>
>>975368
I've had my fair share of summer camp experience in Boy Scouts. Really it's just an excuse to spend a few months in Alaska, even if I spend most the time canning fish.
>>
>>975374
What about skilled labor? I have a couple years of construction experience, mostly framing and doors. I'd just rather do a more Alaska job.
>>
>>975376
That's mainly where I worked, two years at summer camp, two years at just a plain summer camp. Plain summer camp was prettier and easier, Boy Scout camp had more variety in what I did and paid better. Each was too strict for my taste, but in different ways. BSA was like military, while the other was more like no drinking or smoking on the camp (BSA had this rule but no one enforced it and people drank and smoke constantly), don't break curfew, etc.
>>
>>975379
Fucked up the years. It was 2 years at a Boy Scout camp, one year at a regular summer camp*
>>
>>975379
It'd be cool to run a Mountain Man program, but $2.50 an hour ain't much of a living
>>
>>975385
No, no it's not. And believe it or not, but I was actually paid quite a bit more than some of my coworkers. I asked around because I knew some of them were getting screwed. I was originally asked to join at 1600 before taxes but they were pretty short staffed (usual was ~40, we had like 28 I think) so I knew I could ask for more. My one coworker in the exact same position and who had worked there 2 years longer than me was being paid only 1775.
>>
File: no call.png (99KB, 338x300px) Image search: [Google]
no call.png
99KB, 338x300px
I'm doing sampling in the great lakes all summer. should be comfy desu
>>
>>975367
June's a bit late to look for work in AK. Most summer jobs start in April/May. You might be able to catch the back half of the salmon season in Sitka or Cordova.

Or there's some remote lodges around Kodiak that do split seasons.

Hop on the internet now and start looking for leads before you head that way.
>>
Got a gig driving a UNIMOG for a tour company in Skagway this summer, but I lined that up a month ago.
>>
>>975610
Wow, something like that would be perfect for me. Congrats.

I'm driving to Norway in a few weeks and plan on spending the summer there.
Hopefully I can land a part time job somewhere.
>>
I'm curious if anyone here had any experience working professionaly on trails I volunteer with some Rangers at a park and it seems it would be a chill fig considering some outposts for USF or state parks provide housing. Entry wages could be low but no less than 14
>>
File: home-1.jpg (249KB, 800x560px) Image search: [Google]
home-1.jpg
249KB, 800x560px
I used to work summers on pic related, the Margaret Todd out of Bar Harbor, Maine. You can stay on the ship or at a nearby apartment set up for the crew. She does 3 sails per day, morning has a park ranger narrating the cruise, afternoon is for sail enthusiasts as the winds are strongest, and an evening sunset cruise with live music. Getting paid to sail around the coast of Maine is a great way to spend summers, tips and pay add up pretty good too.
>>
>>975604
> catch the back half of salmon season
No offense to OP, but as a commercial salmon fisher in Alaska, there are too many local Alaskans that any skipper would pick for a greenhorn before OP
>>
>>975367
Salmon farms.
>>
>>976079
Whereabouts are you headed?
>>
>>976153
What kind of skills are they looking for for a gig like that?
>>
>>976158
Hence the "might"

OP would probably be better off looking for something dockside like processing, or looking for a tourism/hospitality gig that needs mid-season help.

Seward, Juneau, Talkeetna or Healey would be good places to look for work mid-season.
>>
>>976166
Not sure yet, but most likely around the Western or Mid regions.

I plan to drive around first before I drop anchor somewhere.
>>
>>976280
Might see you around then. Have fun. Bring waterproof clothing.
>>
>>976168
None whatsoever, the crew ranges from hardcore sailors to guys from the midwest that have never seen the ocean before, you just have to be somewhat skinny or in shape, if you're real fat the owner will stick you in the ticket booth or shop, no one likes a fat sailor. They give you all the training you need. The company also has small passenger ferries and a "booze cruise" fishing tour boat that some of the crewman rotate on, just to keep things interesting.
>>
Forestry jobs in Alaska are competitive and spots are filled way before June.
>>
File: IMG_6875.jpg (30KB, 279x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6875.jpg
30KB, 279x400px
>>976301
>no one likes a fat sailor.
Haters gonna hate
>>
>>976241
I was hoping to get on a boat, but since that's unlikely I was going to work at one of the canneries and try and get some leads on boats that need greenhorns.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.