[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleeping Bag General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11

File: trestles.jpg (30KB, 410x1000px) Image search: [Google]
trestles.jpg
30KB, 410x1000px
Hello, I've just bought Marmot Trestles 0 on sale for ~$100 (in Europe) and I have got 3 days to decide if I should keep it. I'm pretty worried about size and weight of it. To day I was only camping during summer and warm autumn/spring weekends with my +5C bag and I want to try sleeping in colder conditions. So my questions:
1. Is it good choice considering I want to sleep under tarp/in tent in late autumn and probably in winter someday?
2. Is it good choice in that price-range (below $150)? And is it a good price for it?
If No.2 is negative:
3. What synthetic sleeping bag can /out/ recommend that is lighter and smaller?

Also ITT: sleeping bags general
>>
>>973559
is your trestles 0f or 0c?

i have a trestles 15(f), and that fucker's bulky as hell, but it's kept me warm deep into the 20s (also f) on a mediocre foam pad.
>>
File: tactical_2_black.jpg (7KB, 620x500px) Image search: [Google]
tactical_2_black.jpg
7KB, 620x500px
My snugpak tactical 2 makes me so happy, packs down small, keeps me warm, well made and British(TM)
>>
>>973559
Check how cold it gets for your winter trips in average. You might want a tent instead of a tarp, since it will add a few degrees of warmth.

If you plan on slightly cooler winter nights like -36 C or such with this bag, judging from the numbers you'll need a tent with a heater, preferably more people and take turns managing the heat.
>>
>>973559
>late autumn and probably in winter
>0c bag
Probably no, need one that goes down to -8c.
>>
File: IMG_3037.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3037.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>>973639
It has -11,4C comfort and -19,1C limit.
Pic related.

>>973812
Trestles is much warmer, but thanks for the tip - this one should fit me better.
>>
File: IMG_3035.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3035.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>>973821
I intend to use it more in autumn, but yeah considering parameters it's much of a winter bag for my climate. Average temps here in winter are from -10C to -5C, and it's very rarely drops down to -30C (at least in last few years, there used to be much more rough winters a dozen or so years ago)

>>973836
It's warmer, see >>973851

>>973639
>>973821
>>973836
Generally, thanks for your answers. You made me realize I probably don't need this bag , yet. I lured to buy it as it was $50 off.

Pic is uncompressed bag (banan for scale).
>>
File: IMG_3034.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3034.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>>973855
And here is compressed pic.
>>
>>973856
My store sells this bag and other trestles models. It's a very synthetic mummy so the fact that it weighs as much as it does shouldn't surprise you.
>>
>>974218
Actually I was pretty surprised as I've only used now-twelve-years-old Pajak +5C sleeping bag (with zip up hood). I've never even seen sleeping bag warmer then -5C as I was camping only in summer and spring. That said, I was lured by cut off and I thought that I'll need synthetic bag considering that to day I was camping in pretty damp environment. But yeah, now I will be aware that with synthetics better numbers come with quite bigger size and weight.
>>
I've got a big mummy, it's about the size of 1.5x2 feet uncompressed. No straps on outside to compress it. Can I buy something to sinch it down easily? Make ?
>>
>>975807
Sea to summit makes a good lightweight compressions sack. So does alps which you can get on amazon but it's heavier. Or you can put it in a stuff sack and lash it good with some cord
>>
Good bag, had for a year I think, a bit bulky but warm for the price.
>>
File: 1461004277348.jpg (47KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
1461004277348.jpg
47KB, 700x466px
I'm doing the Inca Trail in Peru this September and apparently the overnight temperatures hit -5 Celsius and lower which really sucks ass after a 4-day hike. I need a good bag, not too bulky and preferably not Asian made.

Bonus points for military or tactical shit.
>>
>>976412
not asian made? why so racist?

what is your budget?
>>
>be 6'0
>buy 208cm bag
>my first bag since i was a kid
>feet seem to touch bottom of bag before i'm properly in it

well, shit
>>
File: pd350v.jpg (22KB, 255x390px) Image search: [Google]
pd350v.jpg
22KB, 255x390px
>>975807
dump it into a canoe bag with an air valve. sit on it until it's squashed flat.
you get less compression than a stuff sack, but with much less effort.
>>
>>976441
Shit up faggot nigger gook
>>
My Coleman sleeping bag's bag has a zipper running down the side. It came out of the box with this zipper up.
Are they intending this thing to ever get done up again?
Because I don't know how you could compress this bag enough to get that zipper back up without heavy machinery,
>>
File: 1487044567919.jpg (217KB, 640x891px) Image search: [Google]
1487044567919.jpg
217KB, 640x891px
>>976441

>not asian made? why so racist?

I'm not a racist. I just don't want subhumans cutting into the living wages of White men and women over here.
>>
So what's your guys take on hydrophobic down vs. untreated down in a nano-coated sleeping bag?

my fibre-sleeping bag is being retired after 13 years, and i want a down sleeping bag because they're lighter & more compact.

but i'm questioning whether throwing 60 bucks more after hydrophobic down is worth it.
how big a difference does it actually make when i'm primarily sleeping in tents, shelters & boats when i'm out hiking?
>>
>>973851
I posted the tactical 2 just in case people hadn't heard of snugpak. They make a three season version as well. I really rate their bags.
>>
>>976412
carinthia is a eu brand i think austrian or german ?
one of the best for synthetic bags
>>
>>973559
>What synthetic sleeping bag can /out/ recommend that is lighter and smaller?
Enlightened Equipment has a synthetic Enigma Apex that weighs like 22 ounces.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/enigma-apex/
>>
>>977159
You need a team of two people.
Compress the bag with all your might, then have the second person hold the zipper closed as you stuff your sleeping bag inside.
Every other method I've seen results in a busted zipper.
>>
So I have a sleeping bag that's intended to be used inside a tent in summer. Probably not even rated to freezing.

I was wondering if something like video related would make it a little warmer so I can take it out in the fall when I'm canoeing.

Would it work, or should I wait for a better sleeping bag to go on sale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgdFbNzENJQ
>>
File: owl.jpg (59KB, 620x352px) Image search: [Google]
owl.jpg
59KB, 620x352px
>>979497
a bivvy made from a tarp and some duct tape is the wrong tool for the job if you've got a canoe to carry the weight.
go get a big heavy winter sleeping bag, and enjoy camping on the comfort end of the survival-comfort spectrum.
>>
>>979523
Thanks for the advice.

I forgot to add I'm going to be doing a little backpacking with it, so something super heavy isn't what I'm looking for.
>>
File: IMG_20170329_134504.jpg (82KB, 679x722px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_134504.jpg
82KB, 679x722px
Has anyone used any of sea to summit's sleeping bags? I'm eyeing up their spark III and their micro mcIII atm. Expensive but they are light and pack down more than any other bag I've seen!!
>>
>>980001
>10 and 15 denier
eek. do you comprehend how thin that is?
wear socks to bed, pack some ripstop repair tape, and be super careful not to catch the fabric in the zipper.
>>
File: IMG_20170329_143154.jpg (69KB, 410x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_143154.jpg
69KB, 410x1136px
>>980004
Yeah i have stuff that thin, it's my only concern with the bag. Will check out sea to summit's repair service.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.