[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Squirrel Hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: hunt2.jpg (40KB, 310x500px) Image search: [Google]
hunt2.jpg
40KB, 310x500px
I have relatively cheap pellet rifle (Ruger Blackhawk Elite) I haven't gone hunting with yet an I have actually never gone squirrel hunting and would like some tips, also, how do I carry dead squirrels? I see people with them hanging off there bodies from the tails but I can't really apply to real life. Sorry for sounding like a jack ass just give me some answers.
>>
>>972927
Blackhawk elite is actually a decent little squirrel rifle at 1,200 fps, so you're good there. As for carrying them home, get yourself a bird bag like pic related, the pouches, particularly the large one in the back, are for carrying upland game birds like dove or quail, but will work for squirrels too. As for hunting tips, your best bet is to find an area that has a lot of squirrels, just sit quietly for a bit and you will see them, take a bag of peanuts with you, use it to bait them about 10 metres from your shooting position, then just wait. Or you can always just creep through a woods trail and shoot whatever you see. If one falls but isn't instantly dead don't go after it, they will run and hide in a hole where you won't be able to get to them, just give it a few minutes to die, I have even seen ones with broken spines run fast and climb a tree. Good luck
>>
File: 20170314_190329.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170314_190329.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
I have half a dozen squirrels in my freezer now, I just bait them on my back deck, shoot them with a either a bear brave bow, crossman slingshot, or crossman vigalante CO2 bb pistol. Got this guy a few days ago
>>
Do you guys eat them? Surely you don't waste them
>>
File: 20170320_182222.jpg (3MB, 2696x1881px) Image search: [Google]
20170320_182222.jpg
3MB, 2696x1881px
>>973220
Occasionally I eat them, more often I use the body as bait for larger game like fox and raccoon. I taxidermy the hides (pic related)
>>
>>972927

Is squirrel hunting super hard /out/? I've never hunted anything before and I was told this is where you start.
>>
>>973503
Suqirrl hunting isn't hard, and I like it a lot. My friends and I just take our rifles, and go for a walk across our farm. Follow the hedgerows around the fields, especially where hickory trees are. We just talk, relax, basically go for a stroll. We stop now and then and listen for a while, and you'll hear them running around.

To shoot, I always wait until they have stopped. They're run for a bit then freeze and be still, that's when I shoot. I use a rifle, not a shotgun because I find that more fun. Hitting a squirrel on the run with a rifle is almost impossible, they're going up and down and there's branches in the way, and you're pointing up towards the sky... it's just not a reliable way to make the shot. A squirrel will often just run around to the back side of whatever tree you're at, so having a friend on the other side helps.

>>972927
To carry my squirrels I have a game pouch on my hunting vest. They're cheap too, just find a blaze orange vest with a game pouch, and stuff all the squirrels in there. The pouch is usually vinyl or some kind of plastic, so it's easy to clean.
>>
>>973507
Best way to shoot tree rats on the run is to use a 12 gauge.
>>
>>973507
>A squirrel will often just run around to the back side of whatever tree you're at, so having a friend on the other side helps.

Mr. Cheney sir, you really shouldn't be posting on this channel.
>>
How not to prepare them once you are home....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2216321/Man-burns-apartment-building-trying-singe-fur-dead-squirrel-propane-blow-torch.html

So I read that a few years ago and thought. How the fuck does that happen? How do you sit there and burn the hair off a tree rat in your apartment? The smell had to be awesome. What the hell would you think if your neighbor was burning the hair off of squirrels. The smell...how would you explain that ?

So then I had to consider, how does this end up burning down the house? Then it occurred to me. Picture this guy, in his kitchen burning the hair off his catch. He's about on the 5th one, he grabs it, and starts the tail on fire.

...Then the squirrel realizes, he's not fucking dead yet and this genius just lit him on fire...

Squirrel takes the fuck off at light speed with his tail on fire and ducks for cover somewhere in the apartment, starting the whole place on fire.

There are not many times when I will sit here and lose it over shit like this, but when I read it years ago, I was fucking crying with laughter at this scenario.
>>
>>972927
I'm not sure where you live, but Squirrel is out of season right now in the US. Their fur wouldn't be any good right now in the warming weather (like all fu rbearers right now), thats for sure.

Also you need to find some good hardwoods that actually drop nuts that squirrels eat like oak and hickory.
>>
File: theblackdeath.jpg (89KB, 1100x619px) Image search: [Google]
theblackdeath.jpg
89KB, 1100x619px
>>972927

I would love to try me some tree squirrels, unfortunately they regularly find them infected with the Black Death here in California.

Just remember to be careful, /out/ists. The plague has an 11% mortality rate, even if you catch it early and treat it with antibiotics.
>>
>>974598
Squirrel will be in season for another month in most of the US. The general rule is that it's ok to shoot them during any month that has an "R" in it (Sep-Apr).
>>
>>975171
Dats oysters silly. I live about as far south as squirrels care to, and my season ends Feb. 15th.
>>
>>975015

The black death is still around?

I thought that shit was gone ages ago.
>>
>>975171
I'm pro-choice and all, but the skirls are full babys right now. Never tried eatin dem embryos, but I hate to see that when I skin'um.
>>
>>975015
I worry more about the Crutzfeild-Jacobson Disease these days. Grammaw cusses us when we give'um to her cleaned without the heads. Fuckin prions.
>>
>>975195
creutzfeldt jacobs disease
>>
>>975197
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://mobile.nytimes.com/1997/08/29/us/kentucky-doctors-warn-against-a-regional-dish-squirrels-brains.html&ved=0ahUKEwi-tqHUqOvSAhVYVWMKHVQGAJwQFggeMAE&usg=AFQjCNH07uaDLzookW-RflS05ipSKvVZqA&sig2=TLdWRSFA-SGwBX0tJlBKDQ
>>
>>975015
By the time the woves are gone, fleas are to. Remember:

Fleas flee the trees after first freeze.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.