[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 16

File: a690ce481c70d8908f182fc9d07b4135.jpg (513KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
a690ce481c70d8908f182fc9d07b4135.jpg
513KB, 1024x683px
I know many here look down on this style of out but lets be honest, everyone does it.
Out west its pretty easy to sneak out into the mountains into utter seclusion for a few days .
Lets see you rigs and how you set up camp.
Tarp tips would be helpful as well as cooking from a cooler.
This weekend was still a bit cool but next weekend I am hitting the road.
>>
File: Tarp IG.jpg (65KB, 600x851px) Image search: [Google]
Tarp IG.jpg
65KB, 600x851px
>>972673
>>
>>972673
>look down on this style of out
as long as the point is to enjoy the outdoors, there is no wrong way to camp
>>
>>972673
I done some shit, and I don't look down on car camping at all
>essential for getting to some trail heads
>great for acclimatizing people to high altitudes before backpacking
>legitimate way to travel all over the US
>often free
>still sleeping outside
>fun
>bushcraftingfags can destroy all they want, because it's already destroyed
Only downside is that there can be other people, but I don't sperg out on it
>>
File: IMG_6779.jpg (782KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6779.jpg
782KB, 2016x1512px
Realistically I go backpacking once a year. Fuck carrying all my shit with me if I can avoid it.

I have an Xterra with a big sleeping platform in the back. It's got a foam mattress topper that I roll out on it and the gear/food/stove goes under it. The back end of Xterras are short so I have flaps with legs that flip and and sit behind the front seats.

Pic is the slide out drawer for the stove and removable table for food prep, etc. It's not fine furniture, but it gets the job done well and it's better and quicker than a tent.
>>
>>972833
>Realistically I go backpacking once a year. Fuck carrying all my shit with me if I can avoid it.
This. I like setting up a car camp base and doing day hikes.
>>
File: 20160410_165418.jpg (2MB, 2176x3204px) Image search: [Google]
20160410_165418.jpg
2MB, 2176x3204px
we be roughing it
>>
>>972857
are you and doggo taking bunny out to the woods to hook battery cables up to her furry little nipples?
>>
>>972673
how to protect yourself from bears?
>>
>>972860
nah, we just ate her
>>
>>972903
>>
File: 2.jpg (85KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
85KB, 960x720px
Small pick-up truck + folding memory foam mattress

Goes up the mountain to remote areas, but still manages ultimate sleeping comfort compared to a jeep or other small offroad SUV.

You haven't camped until you've tried this. I sleep better like this than I do at home.
>>
File: 3.jpg (245KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
245KB, 960x720px
One of my favourite spots in the local woods to park for the night. Hidden access on native land so I rarely ever see another person. Spectacular waterfalls and swimming nearby, as well as caves with quartz structures that look kinda cool.

You don't always need to hike in to have a good time.
>>
>>972930

My nigger, same way I car camp. Colder than a tent, but still bitchen
>>
File: IMG_20161219_092802.jpg (3MB, 2988x3735px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161219_092802.jpg
3MB, 2988x3735px
>>
>>972951
>sdakjf;a
>>
>>972903
You sucked a rabbit in the vagina?
>>
>>973041
Furries have gone too far
>>
>>972673
It's not that it's looked down on, it's that it's so easy why talk about it. Like naruto on /a/ if your here on this laotian underwater basketweaving forumn, you probably already did that.

But yea basecamp is always a car camp. And where you leave the wives/gfs
>>
File: 79320003.jpg (641KB, 1545x1024px) Image search: [Google]
79320003.jpg
641KB, 1545x1024px
Box on my ranger was too short, and the cap wasn't well ventilated, but it was a great week.
>>
>>972948
>>972930

What if it rains, Do you carry a tarp?
>>
>>975398
Always carry a tarp when car camping.
>>
Living in Australia car is the way to go when traveling. I backpack hunt and car camp the rest of my trips. Fridge in car means its easy for the wife and kids to come away and can carry enough bits and pieces for my 15 month and 3yo to come away with us.
>>
>>975398
I just throw a tarp over the back, from the top of the cab to the tailgate. Then I use a couple bungee cords to strap it down into the frame rails below. Keeps it in place really well, nice and tight. Has kept me totally dry through some serious rainstorms.

Condensation is sometimes a problem, but if there are trees available I will reverse up to one and just tie the rear off slightly higher to leave an opening at the tailgate for extra airflow.
>>
>>972857
Do you farm rabbits? Been thinking about starting
>>
>>976645
Rabbits are the easiest animals to farm and require very little attention.
>>
File: tumblr_okpjuvXJlH1rdgmuao1_400.gif (2MB, 365x205px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_okpjuvXJlH1rdgmuao1_400.gif
2MB, 365x205px
>>972903
Savage
>>
File: tmp-cam--270343958.jpg (178KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
tmp-cam--270343958.jpg
178KB, 640x426px
>>972673
Did anyone ever do this with the Aztek?
>>
>>976686
No, because it would require buying an Aztec.
>>
>>976692
kek
>>
>>976692
Pretty sure you wish you had this one
>>
>>972739
To be honest, my most comfy form of camping is going with my GF right before the season starts on a weekday at a smaller campsite near Sedona. No one really goes there when we go, and we have a stream, plot of land and fire-ring all to ourselves. There's also an outhouse that is pretty clean b/c it's a lesser used site so it's nicer for her.

She's not super /out/ but she's supportive of things I enjoy doing so I try to make it enjoyable for her.
>>
>>976645
no, she's just a pet- i was joking about eating her. she's a dwarf anyway, tiny and unsuitable for anything much more than being adorable
i live in the city, but i'm saving up for a plot of land and plan on raising rabbits. they are one of my favorite animals, sweet and stupid and easy to rear, and i have no qualms with killing and eating them
>>
>>976794
You may already know this, but make sure you supplement the rabbit with other meats and veggies as you can't sustain yourself nutritionally on rabbit alone.

I want to do the same thing, but have squirrels, rabbits, chickens, and maybe even fish if I can figure out a way to feed water into a big pond large enough to breed them.
>>
>>976795
Farm raised rabbits often have some fat near the kidneys. Not more than a strip of bacon, bit still better than nothing.

Also, the eyebals and a bunny's little pea sized brain have some fat. Stewing the whole head is the easiest way to get at them. Same goes for bones
>>
>>976813
>Stewing the whole head is the easiest way to get at them

:(
>>
>>972673
I basically pier camp to get the most out of a cheap, impromptu fishing trip.
>>
>>972673
>everyone does it
Not true.

Do your thing. Enjoy it. But don't pretend that it's terribly different from setting up in your back yard, 5 meters from your house.
>>
>>977617
Don't know what you're trying to prove.

Some /out/ locations it isn't feasible, or necessary, to hike in miles and rough it
>>
>>977756
Anon thinks his own narrow definition encompasses all that is /out/
>>
>>976686
>>976705
i was going to say tiger woods; then i realize that was a buick rendezvous ...fugg
>>
>>977791
>tiger woods
>>977791
I dont understang
>>
>>972759
>Only downside is that there can be other people, but I don't sperg out on it

Generally, if you go places where you need 4wd, there aren't a lot of people.
>>
>>978034
agreed
four wheel drive is best wheel drive
>>
>>978053
>westfalia
>best anything
>>
>>977617
My back yard is in the suburbs of a desert city.

Even car camping really is terribly different.
>>
File: IMG_20161107_115541~2.jpg (3MB, 3894x3088px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161107_115541~2.jpg
3MB, 3894x3088px
This is my set up I usually run 2x down sleeping bags. Cab is used for storage. Is comfy as heck.
>>
>>978217
I have way more invested in my rig.
Sometimes I meet up with guys who have 100k rigs.
The fact is that you got a good night sleep on your air mattress and you are likely going to have the same experience as the rest of us for a fraction of the price.
Good for you anon.
>>
>>978217
tell me about the carpeting around the camper and how you secure it. have ranger, just do weathstripping on underside of shell and use clamps.
>>
>>978255
I'm not a fan of the carpeting personally. The cap is a leer camper shell. It's held on with 4 claps. I got it off Craigslist for 300 bucks. It's weather sealed where the cap and the bed meet. I've been in a few good storms and the weak point on these camper shells is the rear window with the hinge. The airbedz mattress is really neat. It's 12" thick and it's got cut outs to fit perfectly over the wheel wells and blows up to be a full size bed. Fair warning though I'm 5'11 and I usually need to sleep at a angle. In this setup insulation is very important on cooler nights that air bed with sap the heat right out of you if you don't insulate yourself.
>>
File: IMG_2132.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2132.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
In the process of converting my van

Not had much time recently but I'm planning to do a lot of work to it over April/May

Can I ask, best material to make box furniture from? Marine ply? I was going to go ply plus timber 1x2s but I think I'd like to keep the weight down
>>
>>978499
fucking sideways the hell!
>>
>>978499
What kind of van is that?
there are guys doing a sort of half assed fiberglass over foam insulation for cabinets but I am going with thin plywood over a frame.
>>
>>978499
There is a guy on YouTube who was building cabinets out of this cheap light weight EPS board and he used fiberglass screening with gripper paint to make the stuff super strong. You interested in a video link?
>>
>>978508
Be careful as to which plywood you use a lot of the partial board is held together with a really toxic glue.
>>
>>978475
im 5'8" so that makes it easier for me. i was just going to get a foam mat, a big sleeping bag, and extra blanket or two to keep war
>>
>>978864
Test it out before you commit to that. The bed of a Ford ranger is corrugated and even with a bed liner it is not comfortable with a sleeping pad. The air bedz is only like 100 bucks. I'm 170 pounds and that air bed makes me a happy camper, But if you're going on the cheap and you're dead tired enough foam and a sleeping pill ought to do it.
>>
>>972857
What car is this?
>>
>>978879
the carpet mats ive got even out the bumps so it seems flat when you lay on it
>>
>>979857
Nice keep in mind that carpet is just fine for camping now and again but if your spending a serious amount of time back there trying to be a full timer or something that carpet can be harmful to your lungs.
>>
>>979907
its like a welcome mat thing. real heavy duty, not very fibrous. whats it do to my lungs? its outdoor quality so it gets rained on, snowed on, dirt on it,ect. i just vac it clean
>>
>>979929
The big issues with carpet are the fibers.In full size houses you're face isn't right next to them so it's not much of a big deal. In a pick up camper However those fibers are a lot closer to your face and breathing in those fibers can give you breathing problems or irritate your asthma. The secondary thing about carpet is what type of chemicals are I it. If it's "stain resistant" it often has some really toxic shit in it and formaldehyde is often used in the glue to keep the carpet together. At the end of the day everything is a little toxic so don't freak out about it. Just be aware of it.
>>
>>980096
You kinda sound like a GMO fearing organic hippie type
>>
>>980102
>At the end of the day everything is a little toxic so don't freak out about it. Just be aware of it.
Nah, those types are too preachy and paranoid to say something like that.
>>
>>980096
natural fiber carpet is a thing

it's significantly more expensive but for the square footage you would need in vehicle it probably wouldn't make a much of a difference
>>
>>980102
It's not fuckin fairy magic, it's objectively poisonous material
>>
>>980444
So you are saying that every car in america is full of poison and if you put this poison in the bed or your truck where you are one foot away from it instead of two feet, you are going to have problems?
This is the argument you are making?
>>
>>980447
Ain't no argument being made here. The point in making is to be fully aware of the harm some materials can bring to yourself. I'm not here to get into a dick measuring contest. I'm here to inform this fella that carpet he's breathing 2 inches away from for 8 hours a night could have harmful effects.
>>
>>980794
I dont buy it.
Pretty sure it would be common knowlege if every car in the world was filled with poisonous carpet.
You keep making that assertion, stand by it or go away. Dont hide behind that classic know nothing hippie bullshit of "just throwing it out there bro".
If you are going to pollute the board with "the corporashuns are poisoning us man" you better be ready to back that shit up.
>>
>>980817
It is common knowledge that SOME of the chemicals used in the glue of carpet and in the stain resistant coatings are carcinogenic and toxic. The fibers in SOME carpets are carcinogenic because when you breath those fibers in they don't come out of your fucking lungs and when you spend 8 hours a day 2 inches away from the carpet with your mouth wide open sucking up those goddamn fibers your going to have a lovely little mass in your lungs. Now to address your car carpet issue. YOU'RE NOT SLEEPING ON YOUR FLOORBOARDS. The carpet in your car is of no risk to you because none if it is going in your lungs! Now sucking up carpet fibers ain't going to kill you in a car CAMPER but if you are a full timer and are sucking up these fibers on the regular you should probably be a little concerned about what chemicals and fibers your rubbing all over your face and living in. TL;DR- you should be concerned about carpet if your rubbing your face all over it and breathing it into ya lungs on the regular. If your not sleeping on carpet every single night then don't fucking worry about it.
>>
ALL OF YOU FAGGOTS
OVERLAND OVER LAND
OVERLAND OVER LAND
OVERLAND OVER LAND
Look that shit up, its exactly what you want.
>>
>>980924
You are drawing connections that are not there mate. You have just enough information to be totally wrong.
Carpet is not a health risk.
What the hell do you think happens to babies that play on carpet all day long?
Nothing.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170330-142813.png (660KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170330-142813.png
660KB, 1440x2560px
WebMD ain't exactly a credible source but the information is out there. Carpet is toxic it does have adverse effects on infants, pregnant gals, and folks who are sensitive to those chemicals. Why the fuck do you think all those people who lay carpet flooring for a living die from lung cancer. Formaldehyde glue is a bitch dude. I'm not saying your carpet is going to kill you overnight or at all. All I am saying is it is toxic and if it is a health risk depends on your exposure. Don't take my word for it though buddy. Do yourself some research.
>>
>>980994

He has valid points, though. On top of that he's not fear mongering or preaching in any way.

Don't worry, man. He's not going to put your carpet store out of business by advising people on a Mongolian chant singing appreciation board.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.