[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where the hell are you supposed to get hiking backpacks that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 15

File: F82468_1.jpg (509KB, 2070x2070px) Image search: [Google]
F82468_1.jpg
509KB, 2070x2070px
Where the hell are you supposed to get hiking backpacks that don't require a bank loan to be able to buy? Is it a bad idea to just buy something off Aliexpress until I can afford some proper stuff?
>>
>>972448
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/packs-backpacks-and-daypacks~d~174/specdataor~gender!men/
>>
File: 75273718.jpg (148KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
75273718.jpg
148KB, 400x400px
ebäy
>>
>>972448
Bought my Kelty at REI for <$200
>>
>>972448
Military surplus.
>>
>>972458
ALICE pack for $40
>>
>>972454
>>972455
>>972457
>>972458
>>972462
Should probably mention that I'm in Europe, looking at Ebay seems like the best bet
>>
>>972464
Im in Urop too.
Try Allegro - polish ebay. Just ordered Czech backpack for 4$. Probably shitty, but I'm curious. :-)
>>
File: 20170319_135326.jpg (721KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_135326.jpg
721KB, 1600x1200px
>>972462
> used mil shit

I got this extrenal frame with shelf and AWESOME waist belt/sholder straps for less than $40 USD.

Far superior to any A.L.I.C.E. combo you can spead more on to upgrade and modify to a lesser status.

What is it about poor fags that can't shop? Real consumerism failures.

>but muh full'tard stolen valor

LARPers! Any newly designed, modern material chinko shitbag beats out milsurp for at least two seasons.

More use than that and stop being a bitch and just buy good gear.
>>
the local shop
stop shopping online
support local businesses
>>
>>972474
>got this
Where?
>>
>>972464
Stop being a retard. You can ship any backpack from the USA to Europe for like $12.
>>
>>972479
Sure, if you pay

>>972486
And then pay out my ass for tolls and shit? No ty
>>
>>972489
Okay, you ungrateful cunt, don't get a backpack and spend your days whining about how expensive life is. It's clear all you want to do is bitch when given options, so you might as well kill yourself.
>>
>>972491
Or I could buy something actually good quality here instead of buying worse stuff that's going to cost just as much if I import it?
>>
>>972448
Get a duffle bag. Put your arms through the handles. Wear it like a backpack. I even think there's one that is made that way too (The Duffaluffagus Bag)
>>
>>972479
>the local shop
>stop shopping online
>support local businesses
Hahahhaa!
I buy online to support small business. People in small towns have smaller costs, thus I buy from them online.
Fuck overpriced retailers.
>>
>>972501
>duffle bag for hiking
You ever tried it, fucker?
Stop talking from your ass.
>>
>>972448
Osprey packs on Amazon are well under $200.
>>
>>972448
$150 isn't a large expense. Maybe a month or two worth of an entertainment budget?
>>
>>972448
best solution for good gear is to look on places like craigslist or kijiji (or whatever they use in Europe I guess) for some guy who bought top notch gear for a one day hike and never used it again. You'll get virtually new gear at 2/3 the price.
>>
File: 20170319_164300.jpg (698KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_164300.jpg
698KB, 850x1200px
>>972480
In my case Cal Ranch Store in Flagstaff, AZ.

I'd been looking into the whole A.L.I.C.E. pack mod gig for sometime. I like the durability of an external frame carrying fire wood to elk quarters, five gallon pail to dry bags or inflatable kayak.

The weight is not UL, but UL is nowhere near as durable or weight bearing.

Oh, max weight bearing for any real distance with comfort is ~48# s, like I want to carry more?
>>
>>972623
I dig it.
>>
>>972464
look on Amazon. there's usually some good, relatively cheap stuff.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
i'm gonna get a lot of hate for this but...

Steal one from a store; no troll.

In the US, the stores that sell these backpacks (dicks, gander mtn, bass pro shops, etc) have terrible security and often no-chase policies. You can just take the pack you want, put it on and walk out. Most of the time, the little alarm sensors don't even work. Just don't park nearby or use another form of transport and don't be dumb about it.

If you really want to /out/ but can't afford it, cheat a multi-billion dollar corporation out of the $200 or less for it.
>>
just by a cheap one off amazon. I got a cheap one and a humongous super pack. But you only need a cheap one.
>>
>>972683
unless your doing something crazy like hiking for weeks.
>>
Decathlon ;)
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-541338-rucksacks
>>
That Scandinavian Gear 65L pack that was on somebody's YT channel a month or two ago is still under $100. Friend of mine got it and it's not bad, just doesn't have as many pockets as I'd like.
>>
>>972678
Stealing is stealing, you fuck.
>>
File: 20170213_153935.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170213_153935.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
My pack cost 360 dollars lel
>>
File: promo289257259.jpg (164KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
promo289257259.jpg
164KB, 1920x1080px
>>972713
>Company called Scandinavian Gear
>Can't buy it in Sweden
>>
>>972938
If they wanted to market it to Swedes they would call it African Gear.
>>
>>972939
Would be pretty silly if they only sell the backpacks in the US and the US has more black people than Sweden. We'll stick to Fjällräven.
>>
>>972448
Just get a good quality one. It will serve you for decades and will be cheaper in the long term.

Otherwise you will buy some trash at a low, low price, buy again, buy again - in the end, it would've been cheaper to buy quality.

And yeah Fjällräven is great, recommended.

Look for discounts in camping stores when a new model comes in, or buy secondhand.
>>
>>972448
second hand you fucking spud.
I got a brand new back just several years old and had sat in a cupboard for 30.

you do that, and use it until it breaks at which point you see the value in a nice pack.
>>
>>972448
stop being such a poor fag.

I bought a rucksack for £100 TEN years ago it's only just dying

My other rucksack I bought for £150 SIX years ago and it's doing great.

It's an investment, if you can't afford what you need or want then hold off until you can
>>
>>972966
I got a Fjällräven Kånken because it's going to last longer on this planet than I will but their hiking backpacks are so damn expensive. I'd get one in a heartbeat if I wasn't such a poorfag
>>
>>972448
The first pack i ever bought was rei brand. And way fucking too big (7500) . but it was 100 bucks 15 years ago.

I don't use it as a pack much now, but it's in my truck bed right now as a dust shield

So just buy a pack. Even when you buy a better pack, you will probably still have a use for the first one.
>>
>>973058

The dude in your pic has an Abisko 75.

> Kånken Big - 105 EUR
> Kånken No. 2 - 135 EUR
> Abisko 75 - 285 EUR

Two Kånkens and you'll have an Abisko.

inb4 2Kånkens1Abisko

Think about it this way. If it lasts 15 years of heavy use, it's 19 EUR a year which is just nothing. That's like 1.6 EUR a month.
>>
>>973360
I know that it's a good investment, I'm just in between jobs right now and can basically just afford rent and food each month. I can borrow tents and sleeping bags and stuff, but not a backpack.
>>
>>972628
>i helped somebody

Nice.
>>
>>972448
Milsurp is your best bet. Alice pack is always popular. Keep in mind though that this stuff is not going to be gucci with the latest features and will be heavier than an equivalent civilian capacity. What size are you looking for? If around 44L I suggest the kelty redwing on amazon right now, it's on sale for about $65 instead of of $130
>>
>>972457
What kind? Exterior frame?
>>
>>972726
Poorfags are poor and beurocracy is gay.
>>
>>972464
>I'm in Europe

Europe's a big place, Anon.

If you're in the UK there's "Go Outdoors", they can be pretty reasonably priced.
>>
>>972464
Holy fuck anon, have you ever been outside to a store? You can get a nice Quechua bag from Decathlon for like €40.
>>
Kelty redcloud 110L is literally lightyears of comfort beyond any pack ive ever tried on and pretended I could afford

Its usually less than $150

Good for any camping trip up to 3 months in length
>>
Ausfag here. How long lasting is the Abisko 75 in the Australian bush? Our vegetation off trail is p thorny and I usually grind my pack through tight gorges. I've tried one in Sweden and it does work great for their relative open spaces. I'm just concerned how well it do here cause the material feels kinda thin.

Should I stick with my original plan for a one planet bag? I got friends in Sweden that can mail it to me.
>>
>>972709
>>976501

Came here to post this.

Just buy some chinktastic backpack from decathlon for 40-60€, it'll last you at least a couple of years unless you set it on fire.
And you won't whine too much if you fuck it all up on a bunch of thorns.
>>
>>972464
If you don't mind weight too much
https://www.varusteleka.com/
>>
File: pppsh41 nam.jpg (113KB, 800x605px) Image search: [Google]
pppsh41 nam.jpg
113KB, 800x605px
>>972623
I agree with what you're saying but a large ALICE or MOLLE bag strapped to that would be a sweet combo for super cheap. I've seen strapless ALICE packs for like 20 bucks at milsurp stores every now and then.

60 bucks for a well structured and durable bag isn't too bad. Not super light-weight but definitely affordable.
>>
Jansport Scout
>>
File: 849.jpg (349KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
849.jpg
349KB, 1600x1200px
I have this weird thing where I can't buy things for myself. I'll shell out thousands on the girlfriend and my family gets good gifts from a college student, but I can't bring myself to buy myself anything. Even a burrito when I'm hungry I feel extremely guilty about. The only thing I get for myself in is gasoline. For that reason I don't have a lot of gear and anything I do have is cheap as fuck. Anyone else like this?
>>
>>972448
Learn to sew, make your own damn pack.

Get a shitty backpack for $5 and a seam ripper, take apart the seams and study how it all fits together, prototype your new pack in construction paper, learn some basic stitches and techniques, then start sewing.
>>
>>976765
oh fuck are you me?
>buy girlfriend a nice stethoscope when she got into med school
>tell myself i can't afford to order a burrito because im in med school and poor as fuck
>>
File: You..jpg (912KB, 900x722px) Image search: [Google]
You..jpg
912KB, 900x722px
>>972935
>My pack cost 360 dollars lel
... which never was used outside daddy's backyard perimeter
>>
I got a macpac cascade 90L for $220nzd 4 years ago and just got a macpac ravine 60L for $199nzd, how much do you want to spend? Those are both decent packs for the money.
>>
>>976765

You're not the only one. What's really fucked about it is that you realize what you're doing and it makes no sense but you still can't stop doing it.
>>
>>976765
This desu. I finally decided to crack though. I've lost 90 lbs and want to get into backpacking instead of just hiking so I sold some stocks and bought a bunch of shit. It's a lot easier to do when there's money in your bank.
>>
Can anyone suggest a pack that would double as a great BOB? Something that would fit with my plate carrier would be great. Thanks.
>>
Does the Abisko 75 live up to the hype?
>>
>>972464
I dont know what the current prices are now but I picked up a milsurp usmc ilbe ruck for like $75. It is a huge pack(120lb capacity) and built like a tank.
>>
>>976724
I've thought of that, but have a 60L drybag that works very well.

Went into the new Warehouse (2yrs old) for the first time. Nice selection of Erblestock (sp) packs!

Nice, but $300/ea! I'm good...
>>
>>978348
*Sportsman's Warehouse

Wtf phn?
>>
>>972678
posts like this are why i truly love anonymous posting. People state what they think and dont hold back. Through no other open forum could anyone post something like this without fear of legitimate retribution
>>
File: IMG_0306.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0306.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>976765
>Anyone else like this?
No.
>>
>>972448

I got an Osprey Atmos 50L and a free Atmos 35L a couple of years ago all because ky uncle eas complaining about osprey next to a manager of some sort. As he doesn't like osprey packs he gave em to me. If I would've bought them, it would have cost me £310
>>
>>972448
amazon.com
>>
>>977462
How long are you bugging out for? You might want to consider one of those gun/hunting packs if you're trekking longer distances, type Vorn or Eberlestock. Having your rifle out of the way is nice, and at least with Vorn, you can get it out pretty fast. Just mentioning it since I reckon that if you have a plate carrier, you might have some guns to bug out with too.
I'm looking at the Eberlestock G4 Operator because I'm a bit of a packrat, but I've yet to try it on.
>>
Craigslist, for real. Or buffalo exchange, I've swooped tons of good cloths there.
>>
All the brands here are from Europe, and unavailable without importing them here in Canada. I wanna /out/ on the nickel and dime, but I can't with import fees.
>>
>>979426
I have a G2 and it's nice. Been up a couple mountains and a lot of nights camping/hunting. My only complaint is since the rifle scabbard is there, the pack has a tiny bit of sway to it when it's really loaded down.
>>
>>976765
This is me, but broke through it and ordered backpack, tent, sleeping bag/pad, knife, hatchet, saw etc etc. over the past month
>>
>>979434
deal with it faggot. 99 percent of stuff discussed on here is avaliable only in America or Canada.
>>
>>972678
This
>>
>>972448

French army backpacks are pretty good, they come in stock here from time to time:

http://www.keepshooting.com/french-alpine-backpack.html
>>
>>972448
Learn how to DIY.
>>
I don't know when camping and outdoor activities became so entrenched in consumerism and materialism, but it's not necessary OP.
>>
Old fart here,started when leather,wool,canvas...were the materials for out.
Army surplus is a good place to start for budget gear. Going is more important than gear.
>>
>>972939
That's actually really funny. Good job
>>
>>973058
Protip: don't buy Fjallraven. Overpriced for what it is. The G1000 shyte they bang on about is just heavy duty cotton. Back system in their Kaipak 58 (£200) is comparable to something you'd get on a bag for less than half the price. Fucking buy osprey, it's lighter, can find it cheaper and doesn't weigh a tonne
>>
File: Mammut Creon Pro.png (922KB, 1213x791px) Image search: [Google]
Mammut Creon Pro.png
922KB, 1213x791px
What is /out/s opinion on Mammut stuff? I never see anything about them in the discussions here. They make a pretty good impression.

Is this back ventilation system a meme or does it really work? I'm asking because I sweat a lot and this backpack looks like it would help with cooling down/drying out faster
>>
>>986558
Lots of bags use that technology such as osprey's airspeed. It's good but better for smaller bags because the bigger the bag, the heavier load you're carrying away from your back. Mammut's a solid brand focused more on alpine recreation though.
>>
File: 334982.jpg (1MB, 800x1064px) Image search: [Google]
334982.jpg
1MB, 800x1064px
>>986558
i use a different brand but with a similar systems. it works. plus it is comfy.
>>
>>983361
$65.95 why? you could buy a new 35-50% lighter premium backpack for the same or below this price.
>>
>>984487
>Fucking buy osprey, it's lighter, can find it cheaper and doesn't weigh a tonne
And will last half as long as a Fjällräven, at best, which means you're going to have to keep buying new bags so the "cheaper" argument is bullshit
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY
>>
File: $_1.jpg (17KB, 400x285px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
17KB, 400x285px
Anyone have a reccomendation on an affordable backpack with good sized sidepockets? Planning to bring along some camera gear and the Osprey Volt 75 (one im looking into) is basically just one big duffle bag. With that being said, I was also looking into getting a Berghaus Atlas Cyclops 2. Any ideas?
>>
>>972678
I think I found the black guy :^)
>>
>>988800
I think I found the racist :^)
>>
>>988834
Racist?! You're crazy!
>>
>>988834
if facts are racist I guess.
>>
>>988852
Where in the post is the fact that that the poster was black?
Or is this alternative facts now
>>
>>987284
>Osprey bags having a lifetime guarantee
They're not necessarily cheaper either, just getting much more for your money than Memeraven in terms of a decent supportive back system etc
>>
>>987197
Such as? Most packs I can seem to find are well above the $100 mark.
>>
>>972454
>gender!men
Did you just assume OP's gender, bigot?
>>
>>972470
m65 pack?
I wear mine everyday, It's small and the straps ain't too comfy but it's tough and it's A E S T H E T I C
>>
>>972678
Outfitter here, we would absolutely notice and stop you at the door.
>>
>>972448
sewing machine. atleast 30 years old.
>>
>>986558
I've been using a cargo 40L for a few years now, damn thing is bombproof. broken a few things inside this bag from tossing it around.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.