[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The tradition of saying hi to strangers as they pass by on a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

File: Veterans-AL03.jpg (17KB, 400x264px) Image search: [Google]
Veterans-AL03.jpg
17KB, 400x264px
The tradition of saying hi to strangers as they pass by on a walking trail ; do you think it will die out?

[spoiler]almost certainly [/spoiler]

How do you feel about the tradition?
>>
>>972368
I love it, I will never stop saying hi to people on the trail.
>>
>>972368
You mean being polite and friendly?
>>
>>972576
Yes, actually.
>>
>>972578
Well, I'll do everything I can to keep that tradition alive.
>>
>>972590
If I'm by myself I just let autism take the wheel. Stare straight ahead even if people address me twice. I'll switch back to human mode when I need to find another woman.
>>
>>972368
I always wave at people

it might do nothing, it might reduce the chance of them wanting to rob and or rape me
>>
>>972618
> the irony of me singling out gregarious wavers for murder and rape
> in that order
>>
>>972368
In the village where my grandparents live in literally anyone greets you, and you greet them back. Not in a formal way, but as if they knew you personally and you knew them. Even small children do it, teens do it, everyone.

It's fucking amazing.
>>
>>972368
I always wait till they get 5 feet from me then scream at them like some PTSD welfare vet.
>>
>>972643
Where I live, we wave at each other when we meet other drivers on the road. I may wave 50-75 times just going to the store. About 60%-80% wave back, though it depends on light glare on windshields and the weather. Some days everyone is in a sour mood or focused mood and no one waves. Other days, everyone fucking waves like they are in a parade.

I never thought anything about it until I was out of the state and realized fucking no one was waving at anyone.
>>
>>972368
certainly never going to die out, I just hiked the Appalachian trail and I said hello to EVERY SINGLE person i passed, because of this it took me 8 months to hike it and I wouldn't change a thing, met some amazing people this way who would offer into their homes or meet me at the next town, other humans are all we have in this world and I will always try to connect with them
>>
File: 1lpywx.jpg (54KB, 666x500px) Image search: [Google]
1lpywx.jpg
54KB, 666x500px
>>972639
>>
>Antropological questions on 4chan
>>
File: Sir Bearington.jpg (464KB, 2048x1201px) Image search: [Google]
Sir Bearington.jpg
464KB, 2048x1201px
>>972661

>he's only greeted by humans when /out/
>>
>you haven't seen another member of your species in several hours
>out of all the square miles of wilderness, another human appears
>you completely ignore the individual

This is what autists do, and autists are subhuman. Just like niggers.
>>
>>972612
You mean besides your mother?
>>
File: IMG_9981.png (165KB, 600x519px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9981.png
165KB, 600x519px
>>972368
I've tried for the longest time to normalize hugging people that you pass on the trail. It hasn't gone over too well. I've been pepper sprayed once and punched once. Most of them just push me away in disgust.
>>
>>972669
I don't believe you.
>>
Seems to be slowly dying out where I live, just like the wave when driving on bush roads.
Everybody's too self centered to greet you these days.
>>
>>972368
Most adult males just do the head nod.
>>
File: CP.jpg (8KB, 250x191px) Image search: [Google]
CP.jpg
8KB, 250x191px
>>972368
The chance of me saying "hi" increases as population density decreases
If I'm on the sidewalk with the teeming masses, good luck talking to me
If I haven't seen any other people for days, I'm going to strike up a conversation
>>
>>972647
Grew up in SoDak and still wave to people on back roads to this day.

It's reflex at this point.
>>
>>972794
I grew up in galveston but i spent about half my time in the boonies of south west texas, uvalde area.

I don't wave in cities but i still do out in the country. Sadly, almost no one waves back in texas anymore. Even out in bumfuck nowhere uvalde.
>>
>>972764
That's an evolutionary trait, the more random strangers we are around the harder it becomes to determine who is friend or foe, unless you're engaging some kind of common experience like a concert or sports all game. Of course some people handle it better than others, but nobody is fully as friendly in a big crowd as they are in a small group.

Also there's the more conscious-level aspect of "ain't nobody got time to individually greet all these people!"
>>
nobody ever says hi to me other than old men and couples

how about a qt girl. that never happens. whores
>>
>>972648
Noice. Glad people were so nice and didn't try to fuck with you.
>>
>>972667
Serious question, why do you feel the need to acknowledge them? Some kind of overwhelming fear of going against social norms?
>>
>>972368
I didn't know it was tradition, just a normal thing to do. It was a shock going to the city and having everyone look straight ahead desu
>>
>>972947
Not the anon you replied to, I tend to do it as it was the norm where I grew up. At this point I enjoy it. In the area where I grew up we did it as you tended to know most people. When /out/ I carry on greeting people people as I consider it polite. If someone else greets me it puts me at ease as it give the impression that have some social graces and are aware of their surroundings. If I pass someone who stares blankly ahead or at the ground, that's cool, but I'm going to assume they are either having a really shit day or aren't quite all their up stairs.
>>
>>973018
It is the polite thing to do for sure. Sadly, people don't give a shit about being polite these days.
>>
>>973034
It would definitely make being /out/ more sterile if we all ignore each other. I'd also argue that it might be more dangerous. Maybe you'd be more inclined to help someone if there was the more amicable atmosphere created by people greeting each other.
>>
I love going out but I hate interacting with others.

It's a shame too. I'm not unfriendly, I just don't want to bother with assholes so I'm usually quiet until spoken to.
>>
>>972763
This. I don't go /out/ to interact with other people, in fact quite the opposite. But not even acknowledging a greeting is straight up autistic.
>>
My ex and I were on a day walk in the Lakes District, in the process of orientating ourselves and an older couple came by us, walking in the direction we had yet to go.

We did the usual 'Hey' thing as they walked by, and then they slowed and stopped just ahead of us as they were picking a direction to go. Managed to get a conversation going from there, and they pointed us towards Cathedral Quarry, as we would have walked past it otherwise. Was a good 20 minutes that we just stood about and talked with this couple, and it was nice.
>>
>>972368
Half the time no matter where I go when I give people a smile and an 'owya doin they just give me a disgruntled stare and keep trudging forward with whatever they're doing.
I don't even like people I'm just pretending to be friendly because maybe it will rub off on other people and they'll be less scummy, Why can't they humor my attempts at being nice?
>>
>>973788
It depends on your age, their age, and location.
>>
I literally struggle to remember the last time I didn't have a pleasant greeting/exchange with someone on the trail.
Or at least a smile and a nod.
>>
>>972368
i will give the nod u followed by a "how's it goin??" if they respond until the day i cant be on the trails anymore.
>>
>>972368
I always do it. Most people just stare at me. I can't tell if I'm the autist or they're the autist.
>>
>>974081
Well, you know the old saying, "If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus....."

I keed, I keed.
I actually have kind of a funny story. I was on my way up to a little scramble in the Central Cascades when I passed a group of dudes on the trail. Did my usual "hello"s and "how ya doin"s. A few days later I posted a picture of my self in a /WA/ thread and one anon replied back "Dude, we passed you on the Pratt Lake trail!"

Was kinda nice.
>>
>>974114
Those are the kind of stories I like to hear. Meeting nice people on the trails.
>>
I holla at all them trail bitches wearin them yoga pants. They mouths might say say no, but them yoga pants says "yes"
>>
>>974175

Oh good. More thugs looking to hit on women or worse on hiking trails.

Stanford just went through a fucking major issue with rapes on jogging routes at night.

You people are mentally sick.
>>
>>972693
I pepper sprayed that fucking homo point blank range when he hugged me!

Then I raped the queer bastard, I hate fags!

They're so gay!
>>
>>974209
White women deserves it , do something about it bitch or ima keep grabbing hahahah
>>
I have this autistic mumble where I say "Howya"

Been starting to wonder if people are noticing. It's also kind of funny to see elderly people get visibly nervous when I'm approaching.
>>
>>974312
>Then I raped the queer bastard, I hate fags!
Kek

>>974492
I always say howdy. Funny storyso i was deep in the ghetto in houston and had stopped at the library to print some documents. Well im an alchoholic so i walked to the grocery store it was only 2 blocks away

I pass this group of like 5 nigger girls and they are all giggling and the oldest one waves at me. Obnoxiously. Like she wanted to start shit. So i looked her innthe eyes and said "howdy"

She jumped with joy and started talking about tx a&m. I went to uh personally, but i asked her how she knew about the howdy greeting.

Me and this random 17 year old nigglet talked about college for like 10 minutes on a random street corner in the 3rd ward of houston. I hope she is crushing it at whatever school she went to.
>>
>>972947
No I'm just a healthy social animal, you know, a human.

All you fucking green blooded vulcan autists need to get off the trail and back to the basement.
>>
>>974891
>Don't wanna say hi to strangers, therefore can't go walking

Top notch lovic m8
>>
>>972805
Fellow Texfag here. I wave a lot less now than a couple years ago. It's not unheard of but it doesn't happen much. Never innacity. Except for fellow Jeep-bros. We're pretty liberal with our waves. Bikers talk to me at intersections fairly regular (doors off, top down 50 out of 52).
>>
For some reason the only time I say "howdy" is when meeting people on a trail or when I'm fucked up in College Station.
>>
>>972368
Hi, Motherfuckers.
>>
>>972368

I don't really say hello. I will make eye contact, smile and give them a nod
>>
>>974930
>captain thats not logical
Yeah you vulcans shouldn't go out. Mental freaks need to stay hidden with the morbidly obese and retarded.
>>
>>975793
Lmao, using intelligence = mental freak

Did you get bullied by someone who graduated with honors?
>>
>>972368
Son, that tradition has been taking place for longer than you've been alive. You saying it's on it's way out don't mean shit.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.