[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Family land

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

File: 20170319_005843.jpg (2MB, 1439x2091px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_005843.jpg
2MB, 1439x2091px
Hello /out/ I've recently found out the my uncle has possession of 40 acre land, I've been out there a few timedays and while I'm well versed in camping, I've been looking into building a small cabin or something of that sort on the land, I've gotten permission form my uncle to do so as long as I build it deep enough in that it's not visible from the road, I've found a good spot that I'd like to work on and while I have a couple books on the subject I'm sure there's some tips you guys might have or something of the sort?

I recall watching some YouTube videos on this subject that people where posting here but I don't remember the name of the guy, but they where really informative and had nice step by step instructions and alot of different methods aswell.

TL:DR- Looking for some tips or YouTube videos on building a small cabin in the woods, any help would be appreciated.
>>
Not sure what kind of cabin u have in mind. But here's one video. This kind of log houses are known to last hundreds of years.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_3J5wkJFJzE
>>
>>971938
Thank you that was one of the styles I've been looking at, at this point I'm kind of a one man wrecking crew, but I think I've got a friend who may be willing to get roped into this with me, if so that'll make that method alot easier.
>>
File: greenhouse.jpg (264KB, 600x483px) Image search: [Google]
greenhouse.jpg
264KB, 600x483px
>>971941
One fast way would be to build a frame and then board those walls.
>>
File: Kota.jpg (328KB, 981x836px) Image search: [Google]
Kota.jpg
328KB, 981x836px
Or maybe this. I built one with my old man.
>>
File: SWA_huts_400x.jpg (51KB, 400x253px) Image search: [Google]
SWA_huts_400x.jpg
51KB, 400x253px
>>971926
a log cabin is more work than its worth. stick with standard stick frame construction mounted on concrete piers.

its quite easy. i taught 18 year olds who scored the bare minimum on the asvab how to do it when was in the military. pic related.

dont worry, it doesn't have to look like that. just use some nicer sheathing and paint it a different color than OD green.

a standard 16x32 "shell" can be done for around 5k$. finishing the interior will cost more. Larry Hann videos are your best bet just to learn the framing technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqM7ekLfSmA
>>
File: 825762_orig.jpg (351KB, 1066x800px) Image search: [Google]
825762_orig.jpg
351KB, 1066x800px
>>971950
that would be cold as dicks in winter
>high ceiling
>basically a chimney
>the living area itself is the draft intake
idunno man, i would say get a wood stove instead and pipe that shit out
>>
>>971953
We used thicker logs and its not cold at all. Ive slept several nights in there during winter. And it's located 300 miles above arctic circle. But granted its not a cabin. Its a good looking fire pit where you can cook and sleep.
>>
>>971953
wood stoves are the most practical idk about carrying something like that into the woods, it'd be up and down hills probably a solid mile
>>
>>971953

I want a wood stove so much, goddamn living in Phoenix az.
>>
>>971952
>standard stick frame
This so much.

I'm shying away from building on piers, personally. Frost issues have convinced me that a full foundation is just better for where I'm looking to build.
>>
File: 20170218_120002.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170218_120002.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>972133
Come up to Preskitt, /out/ bro.
>>
>>971926
bump for interest
>>972143
frost would defiantly be an issue for a foundation up in the north east,
>>
>>972175
A full foundation on wide footings below the frost line is the way to go.
>>
>>972151

I make good money down here (100k a year) with zero schooling. Im kinda stuck for a bit. I plan on retiring early in crown king, or prescott, or sedona, or jerome.
>>
>>972217
what do you do?
>>
>>972181
What would be the dangers of just building without any kind of foundation.
>>
I think A Frame would be a solid option, depending on how much snow you guys get
>>
File: Frost Heave.gif (35KB, 505x270px) Image search: [Google]
Frost Heave.gif
35KB, 505x270px
>>972260
Frost heaving. Doors can jam shut/open, broken windows or worse.

>the force of one or more growing ice lenses is sufficient to lift a layer of soil, as much as 1 foot (0.30 metres) or more
>>
>>972316
Thank you for that, it'll just be difficult for me to lay a foundation in the middle of know where, I also have no experience with it either.
>>
>>972595
Piers are probably the way to go if it's very remote. Look into Bigfoot Systems for footings and use Sonotube concrete forms.

http://www.bigfootsystems.com/
http://www.sonotube.com/sonotubeconcreteforms/round.aspx

Mix your concrete in a wheelbarrow (or a big plastic bin works too). You will still want the footings below the frost line.
>>
>>972598
Would it even been worth while for myself to dig and just put wooden pullers in for the frame?
>>
File: 20170318_173149.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170318_173149.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>972217
Jerome was a fucking zoo yesterday.

Rec Cornville or Chino over.

Spring Creek oc from yesterday.
>>
>>972605
Some people just plop a "shed" on some treated skids onto a leveled and compacted gravel pad. I would assume that they don't have any frost to deal with.

If you're going to dig holes anyway, then I'd just go with >>972598 else you will run into problems. Even treated 6x6s (or whatever size) will rot eventually. Also, not having a footing will cause issues as well - like the weight of your shack making one, multiple or even all of them sink.
>>
File: 51ut9qaCdYL._SL1000_.jpg (40KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
51ut9qaCdYL._SL1000_.jpg
40KB, 1000x1000px
>>972143
if you use one of pic related with a 5' auger its fine.

auger down, stick a sonotube over the top and fill with crete. ez pz.

digging down deep enough for a standard T footing isn't feasible without some serious equipment and cost.
>>
>>972638
You can rent a mini-excavator for <$300/day or <$850/week. The frost line is 48" where I'm at. I guess it's just worth it for me to drop the coin.
>>
>>972652
but at 90$+ a yard (not counting the pump truck) you are going to be paying out the ass for concrete and rebar.
>>
>>972656
For sure. Rebar cost is negligible in the grand scheme of things, but having concrete delivered is a major cost. Debate whether to rent a mixer, or bite the big one and pay through the nose.
>>
what about jst like a shack essentially? something simple not necessarily permanate?
>>
>>972219

Machine operator for a block plant / maintenance man / truck driver. I basically do anything and everything and work 70 hours a week every week.
>>
>>972949
That's a rough life, 10 hour days 7 days a week?
>>
>>971926
Speaking on this topic does /out/ have any advice or wisdom on pallet sheds or cabins?

I'd imagine ideally you'd want them to be all the same size but I know of a place I can get pallets for free so I mean that's a free resource.
>>
>>971926
Here you go, OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV7pmE4MC-I
>>
>>971926
There's a lot of people here giving very specific advice to a very broad question.
-How severe are the winters? (what state?)
-What for/how often will you use the cabin?
-What's your budget?
-How old are you? (How serious about this are you?)
>>
>>973748
Western NY lots of lake effect snow,
likely would use it maybe once or twice a month, it doesn't need to be an amazing
i've got around 500 i can throw around right now to get it started but i'm between jobs currently and don't want to mess my savings up too bad
i'm 27 and fairly serious considering this is the land we hunt on.
>>
>>973872
Seems like you have more muscle than you do money. If it were me, I'd build a more traditional log cabin from trees you can fell there to save on costs. It's technically possible to do this on your own, but getting a few friends and family members together to help with the heavy lifting would help speed the process up enough to finish it in one season, especially necessary since the summer is shorter there than in most places in the US. You'll want concrete (add salt) for chinking, and rather than purchasing a wood stove, you could put in a stone fireplace with a steel plate burner for about $20 (or salvage it).

I'd be willing to give you a hand in exchange for the experience, as long as there's a water source nearby.
>>
>>973872
Here's a video of a $500 cabin, maybe this will give you some ideas? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWE1j9R4xM
>>
>>974676
>>974678
thank you both, and yes there's a nice little stream that i plan to take stone from for a fire place, i've roped my brother into going out there with me tomorrow to survey pick a spot and start prepping for building it.
>>
My grandpas cabin looks a lot like this
>>
>>972217

I'm in the same boat as this guy. Live in Tempe, work in Phoenix. I got a decent job that pays well enough so I'm stuck here. If I could get a job up north I would love to move.
>>
>>974830
How would something like this keep water out?

I like the look of it but am not sure of the practicality.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.