[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Undesirable fish, mainly from the sea fishing.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: OYSTERTOADFISH.jpg (70KB, 610x267px) Image search: [Google]
OYSTERTOADFISH.jpg
70KB, 610x267px
So I remember I caught one of these and the guy next to me says to throw it back, he called it a Mother in law fish. I he also told me that saltwater catfish are venomous, which surprised me, I didn't know.
Any ways I wanted to know what fish should be chucked back, or at the very least use as bait.
>>
>>971785
Saltwater cats are not venemous like a snake, but their barbs ahave venom like every other cat. But channel cats have the most venom.

Not even sure what ur pic is but if its whata i think it is yea its trash
>>
>>971785
your question is not specific i cant name you every fish you should or should not keep
>>
>>971795
catfish do not have venom , at all
the puncture wouds are just prone to infection
>source
i raise catfish
>>
>>971785
A lot of so called "trash fish" are good eating. They just take more time to clean and prepare properly compared to the "gamefish". Some can have cumulative poisons (Barracuda) or biotoxins (pufferfish) in the meat. Those are the one that you really don't want to mess with. Sailfin/gaffback cats and hard head cats are quite good fried. They're just a pain to clean for the amount of meat you get. Spadefish are another abundant fish that tastes great. You only get about 6 ounces of fillets off a 3 pound fish though. Alot of trash fish also make great live and cutbait for more respected species.
>>
File: toadfish+mouth+wwm1.jpg (15KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
toadfish+mouth+wwm1.jpg
15KB, 300x225px
>>971785
I'm not sure I'll ever sleep again.
>>
>>971889
Same as skates. Fucking spines make your hands itch and ache. If you're weak they get infected. People are idiots.
>>
>>972205
skates done, stingrays actually do
>>
>>971889
I caught a massive blue cat this summer while kayak fishing and got barbed really badly in the leg. If they were venomous I would probably be dead lol.
>>
>>971889
Double check that source
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091203222139.htm
Doesn't have to kill to be a venom.
>>
>>971785
I've caught a few oysterfish of Gulf Coast piers . They are ugly, slimy mofos for sure. Wouldn't even think about eating or using for cut bait. They deserve to be set free just because they manage to live with such an ugly mug. Gonna reasearch and see if anybody has eaten them though.
>>
>>973129
Update: they are edible and NASA has sent them to space.
>>
>>973133
They do inject venom from the spines though, and this can affect the meat if cleaned improperly. So, official sources recommend against eating.
>>
File: 6672883967_51ce859d64_b.jpg (394KB, 1024x712px) Image search: [Google]
6672883967_51ce859d64_b.jpg
394KB, 1024x712px
>>971785
People here use the "mother-in-law" fish joke too, usually referring to sculpin (pic). No one I know eats them, or even uses them as bait, they just get thrown back. American eels are a fish that no one really wants but if you smoke them they are very good.
>>
>>973037
I wish they were more specific. I've done a lot of catfishing throughout my life and wouldn't have guessed that any North American species of catfish has venom.

Key points to include are the toxicity of the venom and stage of the fishes life. Bees are venomous but a bumblebees sting is hardly worth concerning yourself about. On the other hand when I was transferring baby channels to a pond I got pricked several times. Each one turned red and swelled a bit while being tender to the touch. At the same time I've caught several channel cats from the river that locked their pectoral and dorsal fins outward like the article and getting pricked by those showed no abnormal signs that a normal puncture wound wouldn't also show.

I don't think it's worth looking into unless you live elsewhere from North America though. Even if our catfish has some kind of venom it's obviously not dangerous in any form. The actual puncture wound would be more dangerous than the injected venom itself.
>>
>>971795

I always thought mud cats were worse than channel cats.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.