[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone ever use one of these big metal-frame vintage Keltys?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

Anyone ever use one of these big metal-frame vintage Keltys? Currently my only backpacking pack. Pretty big, stands pretty tall. You guys think its practical or should I just invest in a new pack?
>>
idfk dude rent one and find out
>>
>>971759
>It's a preference, try it out for yourself and make the call.

That said, I've got a Camp Trails that's essentially the same (right down to the same side pouches and lay out of the metal frame). I bought it after I had owned a few internals and frameless packs. I fucking love it and prefer it for any load over ~50lbs or anything bulky and awkward. Been thinking about getting a new-issue external, but can't bring myself to do it because there's essentially nothing different about the new ones.
>>
>>971759
I had one as a kid and hated it because all the rich kids made fun of me. So buy your wife's son the newest bullshit.

But i loved my alice pack in the army. I could carry 90 pounds in that motherfucker. I seriously considered their internal frame packs a downgrade after carrying very heavy loads.

So, in summation: it's really all about what you are carrying and how vulnerable you are to being made fun of.
>>
>>971759
Alps Mountaineering still makes those. I have never used an eternal frame pack, but I have heard they have gotten more comfortable and really breathable. However I would imagine they are difficult to run in. Obviously, make sure whatever you put in the bottom portion is waterproof.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/packs/external-frame-packs/red-rock-2016
>>
>>971784
Y r u running in a large pack?
>>
>>971789
He heard you can shave some grams off your total if you get prosthetic knees.
>>
>>971805
Cartilage is like toothbrush handles. Just wasred grams.
>>
Internal frames hold move volume. ( i have a 90L )

But external hold more weight more comfortably and bulky equipment ( when straped to the frame) better.
>>
>>971772
Yeah had it when in the Boy Scouts and always thought it looked stupid.

>>971920
Fair enough. Just packed it up for bug out or whatever and tied a bunch of shit on the outside. Got a day pack tied to the lower part of the frame.
>>
>>971923
I use an external when hiking in science equipment.

I place and maintain seismic andweather gear in the back country
>>
>>971759
It's extraordinarily uncomfortable. I bought an internal frame and gave my external frame to Goodwill because I was so done with it.
>>
I've got a new Kelty external. Have not used it yet. The pins seemed pretty underwhelming. There was bending as I set it up to my height.
>>
>>971931
That sounds like a great job, how can I get into that?
>>
>>971759
I had that exact pack and it was fine:

Nothing outstanding, but no complaints
>>
File: heino.jpg (16KB, 259x323px) Image search: [Google]
heino.jpg
16KB, 259x323px
>>971784
>eternal frame pack
They do last forever
>>
>>971759
I have that one! I got a kelty yukon for like $40 on ebay a few years ago, barely used. For what it's worth, the pack is pretty much indestructable, especially considering it's probably almost as old as I am. As a pack, it's alright; I generally only use it for winter camping when I want to carry in more shit since it's kinda bulky even when empty. You can carry a lot comfortably with this pack, but you really have to plan how you hang your gear to get the most of it. You also need to be wary about your balance, because they stick out far from your body and tend to skew top-heavy. However, I really like how it leaves some breathing room on my back, since I generate a lot of body heat in general and get hot pretty quickly while hiking, even in winter. They are designed to be the most comfortable when they put the weight on your hips, so you're probably going to want to use all the straps, unless you're packing really light, in which case I wouldn't use the external frame anyways. But I am definitely able to carry an obscene amount of gear with this pack, more than I would really ever use. So for the $40 I paid for it, it's pretty good. I was on a pretty tight budget when I bought it, so for the price, it's a reliable backpack. However, if you know someone with an external frame pack, I'd recommend you borrow it and see if you like it, though, as they aren't for everyone, and really the only way to know is to try it.
>>
>>971759
I have a frame. I just strap whatever to it and go.
>>
>>972058
Be a post doc student in geophysics/geology, a life of poverty because i want to stay academic, but plenty of out. Ive been on every continent.
>>
File: ONNIWORSE.jpg (1MB, 3000x1687px) Image search: [Google]
ONNIWORSE.jpg
1MB, 3000x1687px
>>972308
>>
>>971789
Same Anon
I actually have an Alps Orizaba 3500, works great. It's a little large for all the stuff I need to carry though. I should probs size down.
>>
>>971759
I had one when I was a kid. Twas before the days of SHTF, but I always kept it packed. One day, when I was 13, Mom was being an extra special bitch. I bugged out and lived out of it in some nearby woods, until the coppers found me. No idea what happened to it. By the next time I left, I had a lg. ALICE pack w/ frame. Good times.
>>
>>971759
i have one of those thats similar but in orange

wish i could find one in that color
>>
>>974354
Hows the ALICE pack? Did it seem like an upgrade?
>>
File: 63976.jpg (332KB, 918x1632px) Image search: [Google]
63976.jpg
332KB, 918x1632px
Not a Kelty, but I use an old Janssport.
My dad had it lying around from when he was young but hadn't used it in at least two decades so it's kinda mine now.
>>
I have the next iteration of that pack from scouts. I loved it then and now. I rigged up a shelf fur the bottom so I can stack boxes and such and lash to the frame.

I like the option of being able to use the bags or take them off and use them as a packboard
>>
>>977674
Can you buy a shelf? I'm not handy and I reckon the trekker could use one.
>>
>>971759
Seen a pair of 2 similar jansport packs at goodwill for 5 bucks each. I dont need to carry over 15lbs when I backpack so i didnt need it but kinda kicking myself for not buying one of them now

>>971805
kek
>>
>>978284
So if you have an army/navy store or some kind of surplus place you might be able to find an actual packboard shelf. The army made them from WWII right through Vietnam so they're pretty common. You might be able to attach that to the bottom frame rail

Or piece of scrap plywood, 2 pipe brackets and some rope.

Google pack board shelf to see pictures
>>
>>978804
Cheers.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.