[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get your foot in the door in the mining industry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: download.jpg (5KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 284x177px
How do you get your foot in the door in the mining industry? They make great money, and working the two weeks on two weeks off shift in a remote location would be a really cool experience, especially since my friend said he would do it with me.

Has anyone here ever worked in a mine, I'm mostly interested in Canada and Western Australia, since I'd like to go somewhere adventurous. But I realize I am also not in a situation to be incredibly choosy. If you have ever gotten a job as a miner, or know someone who has please share your experience.
>>
>>970831
learn to ball a jack,
learn to lay a track, learn to pick and shovel too,
and take this hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
>>
>>970831
You gotta learn all the songs as well. iirc one goes something like
>hi ho hi ho it's off to work
I forget the rest.
>>
>>970831
Make sure you can sing well or else everyone will really give you a hard time
>>
File: UniversitLogotif.gif (10KB, 305x308px) Image search: [Google]
UniversitLogotif.gif
10KB, 305x308px
>>970831
its a niche job field. the pay is outstanding and the travel opportunities are abundant. however, getting your foot in the door is for sure the hardest part. most people who want to do it seek out specialized training.
>>
>>970863
That song isn't even about mining though.
>>
>>970874
You seem to know a bit. Is there any way to be just a general mining laborer while you gain skills? Did you find a way to get your foot in the door?
>>
>>970887
>Did you find a way to get your foot in the door?
yeah i got a degree in mining engineering.

there really isn't such a thing as a mining laborer anymore, at least not in any mine you'd want to work in. most of the guys downstairs have some sort of technical skill under their belts as the automation/machinery does most of the heavy lifting.

the ol' pickaxe and shovel jobs went away with the meat robot tier factory jobs.
>>
In Alaska the University of Alaska has a mining course. When you graduate they work with the local mines to get you hired.
>>
File: file.png (4MB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4MB, 2880x1800px
>>
>>970831
Marry a miner's daughter.

>not joking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9eHp7JJgq8
>>
File: 1488252944882.jpg (22KB, 424x318px) Image search: [Google]
1488252944882.jpg
22KB, 424x318px
>>970877
WRONG
John Henry goes into a mine to take his lunchtime nap, bossman puts his ass to work
>>
>>971036
thank you
>>
File: IMG_0663_temp.jpg (4MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0663_temp.jpg
4MB, 3000x4000px
>>970831
get a heavy equipment cert or machine operation cert. If you want a safe, 'comfy' 14 on - 14 off job then look for contracting companies that operate in whatever area you want to work.

Or get one or both of the above certs and move to the town where a lot of these companies operate out of and start talking to people.

I got a job straight out of high school being a mechanics assistant and a machine operator. I worked 16 on and 3 off. 2 of the 3 days off I spent driving too and from camp. I made $20,000 in just under 4 months

t. ex-yukon gold miner
>>
>>971449
Thanks a bunch man. I'm not familiar with how contractors in the mining industry work. Are you saying if I become a contractor I don't need a heavy equipment cert?
>>
File: IMG_0652.jpg (5MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0652.jpg
5MB, 4608x3456px
>>971496
It's up to the owner of the mine you're working at. The guy I worked for was a family friend who needed cheap labour who wouldn't complain. I got a 15 minute tutorial on how to operate an excavator and then he gave me the reins.

Was it the safest site to work on? No. But we did the work and got paid. If you have a cert you will increase your chances of getting a job because it shows your competent enough to learn how to do something. A lot of the owners and operators up there started work straight out of high school so theyre not certified, just experienced through years of work
>>
>>971502
Pretty sweet. They're actually building a new plaza next to my current place of employment, I always see hevay equipment but no one working with them. If i do one day, I'll try to talk to them about getting hired on. I know this is a long shot, but is that mine you worked for still operative?
>>
I worked in a mine in South Australia. I was employed as basically a general purpose shitkicker. I'd go in to work at the start of shift and get the car ready and then drive down into the mine. They would call me up on the radio if something broke down and I'd go and have a look. If I could fix it with a crowbar and wrench, I would, otherwise I'd call the appropriate tradesman to come and fix it and get all the safety stuff and paperwork ready.

The pay is incredible, but you have to live in a mining town, which generally have terrible social problems due to the fact that their populations are almost entirely young men and no women. Anyone who has been there for a while hates their life. They plan to work there for a few years to save up but they get stuck because it's really hard to give up that kind of money.

That said, I really enjoyed it there but I wouldn't want to do it my whole life, especially with a family.

You absolutely can't get a job unless you know someone, at least that's how it was where I was working.
>>
I've the same idea OP, working as a geologist at the moment and planning on saving up a bit before moving to saskatchewan for a while and heading either north to the uranium or south to the oil and gas.

Also look up tree planting, you can easily get a job in that during Canadian summera
>>
File: historic_emblem_optimized.png (173KB, 1208x1208px) Image search: [Google]
historic_emblem_optimized.png
173KB, 1208x1208px
>>970874
Ill see your CSM and raise you an MS&T
>>
>>971802
I saw an ad for that on craigslist in my town saying it payed $24/hr. Sounded kinda scammy to me though.
>>
>>972171
Sounds pretty good to me but get it in writing cos I don't know any tree planters who got paid hourly. They all got paid per tree
>>
>>970831
i'm a geophysicist. I worked in mining for 5 years. It's quite a depressed industry ATM. Any natural resources industry has ups and downs. Factor that into your career plans. It can be very good sometimes and very bad others. I'd personally steer someone toward healthcare as a career as it will be a lot more stable. If you like /out/ it can take you some amazing places though. Working on a mine site can be boring and repetitive. Exploration tends to be more adventurous. I'd suggest gold exploration specialization as that tends to be a more stable area of mining. As a Geologist you'd get more chances. Also if you go to school for it be sure to do a co-op so you school and work and school. It will help you with the foot in the door. Lastly, aim for a mid to large company as HR really tends to go for name dropping on a resume. Actually one last thing is to try to get industry contacts in school and ask someone in a position you'd like to be in to mentor you and make suggestions on career development.
>>
>>972601
Oh yeah. another thing to consider. At least for Geophysicists your living locations are very limited. I can live in Calgary, Vancouver, maybe Toronto, Houston, Denver. That's where the jobs are concentrated for my field and it's pretty rare to see stuff outside of that. I mean for Vancouver and Toronto even, it becomes quite competitive to find jobs in those desirable cities. So just consider that in a lot of ways the career limits your life choices. I can't just go wherever I want. Same with relationships DESU. I had a very hard time early on because I was coming and going so much. You gotta find a partner who can deal with that.
>>
[email protected]

Send your resume to this
>>
>>973811
Are they any good? Geo here looking to get my foot in the door of an energy company
>>
File: IMAG0247.jpg (1023KB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0247.jpg
1023KB, 2688x1520px
>>972601

This bloke speaks the truth. Geophysicist here as well. Spent 3 years in data acquisition and one year in project management for a gravity/seismic/magnetic survey company doing jobs for mineral exploration companies in Australia, Africa, Eastern Europe. Now back at uni working on getting the letters in front of my name.

If you're keen on getting into mining but don't want to go to uni to get the paperwork, Geophysics is a great way to get your foot in the door. After two or three acquisition projects you're bound to make contacts and put feelers out for mine site jobs. My good fieldies were always getting poached by our client mining/exploration companies.

Just google gravity survey, magnetic survey, electromagnetic survey, seismic survey, and see what companies come up in your country. Send CV to their [email protected] email address and you'll probably get a response - it's always hard keeping people in geophysics and they're always looking for people.

Pic related. Heli gravity survey in northern Australia.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.