[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any raspberry growers/plant breeders we got here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

I'm curious.

Details on your exploits welcome.
>>
I have normal raspberries and yellow ones, there's not much to tell because they're easy as fuck to grow.. I'd be interested if you have crazy splice ideas/tips
>>
>plant black raspberry bush
>next year entire yard is black raspberries

such is life in Florida
>>
>>969393

Been experimenting with early season varieties, cross-pollinating them together.
>>
>>969367
see
>>967708
>>
>>969409

>implying those circle jerks know how to grow anything but smegma
>>
they are all the rage in serbia basically everyone in the country thinks they can get rich by growing raspberry

i used to grow tomatos which is a lot harder and you need a greenhouse, it's a shit job. raspberry is easier but still shit
>>
>>969435
Only the exporters who export to Russia get rich, and some growers who have a lot, A LOT of raspberries. Otherwise they just bullshit one another.
>>
>>969435

My advice to Serbia is to start cultivar breeding on a large scale. The overwhelming majority of the country grows one cultivar (Willamette).

Make some new raspberries the world has never seen Serbia.
>>
>>969481

Before you think I'm bashing Serbia, I freely admit America still coasts on one variety in many areas.

Meeker is easily the dominant raspberry variety in our top raspberry-producing region, and Heritage is easily our dominant fall-bearing raspberry by far.

I attribute this though to people not trusting raspberries with PATENTS on them.
>>
>>969367
When blackberries are in season I grab handfuls and walk around eating them.

I also spit half-eaten berries into areas where I want more blackberries.

It works very well.
>>
>>969498

I like you, Ricky Raspberryseed
>>
>>969479
>>969481
there is little hope for serbia whatever we do
i just went "fuck this shit" about growing anything and turned my efforts to the logging business
>>
>>969481
Lol, I am from Serbia but I don't live there 10 years now so I have no idea about what they are growing
>>969516
Where are you in Serbia?
>>
>>969522
deep south
>>
File: double gold_1627_1000x1000.jpg (201KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
double gold_1627_1000x1000.jpg
201KB, 1000x1000px
>>969516

Here's an example of an unusual raspberry.
>>
>>969599

Seriously Serbians, MONOPOLIZE these raspberry types (i.e Gold and Black Raspberries).

Corner the specialty raspberry market.
>>
>>969606
serbia is all about conforming to the hivemind and be as miserable as possible, it builds character

just come to serbia buy some cheap land and make the serfdom work while you watch them and make money, there's already a lot of people doing that
>>
>>969611

No. Be the ambitious one and corner the gold & black raspberry markets.

Listen to me, Serbians on this thread. Acquire unusual raspberry raspberries.

Encore and Prelude will extend the raspberry growing season. You can have raspberries when no one else does.
>>
>>969620
no i prefer drinking rakija
>>
>>969622

Growing raspberries is not difficult. You can be drunk and do it.
>>
>>969624
but it's boring
>>
>>969627

You could always take up plant breeding of raspberries. It's more of a challenge. You have to cross-pollinate every flower by hand. Then harvest the resulting berries, extract the seeds, soak them in hydrogen peroxide, dry them, store them in a fridge, then plant them.
>>
>>969631

Post-script: the reason you need the hydrogen peroxide is because raspberry seeds have a seed coat that ensures they don't germinate prematurely (on top of a chilling requirement).

So it's got two safeguards to prevent the seeds from germinating at the wrong time.
>>
>>969631
wow now that's one big shot of adrenaline
>>
>>969635

Yes. It takes real work to make it possible. And the good news is that the work creates even more work. If you harvest a lot of seeds from the cross-pollination-resulting berries, you'll get a lot of seedlings. And those seedlings can be crossed to make even more seeds. It adds up really fast if you calculate number of seeds per berry per individual seedling.

In other words, you'll be busy.
>>
>>969664

Also Serbians, when you make your own F1 hybrids, you no longer have to PAY for any new plants. You're making your own seedlings, so they're all free.

All you need is a sufficient number of different varieties to get started on the path to self-sufficiency.
>>
Out of curiosity, do we have any Europeans from outside Serbia here who grow raspberries?

Great Britain has made quite a few varieties, Poland made Polana (though it's supposed to be iffy), and Switzerland made Himbo Top. I don't know why they called it Himbo Top, but I purchased it for evaluation once and I was impressed by it (though I dislike patented plants on principle).
>>
File: DSCN3140.jpg (5MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3140.jpg
5MB, 4320x3240px
>>969664
I don't care about raspberries because I never grew them and never will, but used to have 6 greenhouses of tomatoes
I don't want to be busy with that ever again seriously. it's cancer and the market is shit

>>969683
polana is what lazy people grow here because you basically just have to water them and harvest, no pruning, no posts and wires to tie it to and when you are done with them you just mow them down
it's considered low quality raspberry tho and it's harder to sell
>>
>>969701

I absolutely HATE tomatoes. All the fucking things ever did was wilt and want water.

>>969701

Considering how self-congratulatory the plant nursery industry tends to be, it's hard to find raspberries that tend to be considered "fails".

Joan J, Autumn Bliss (not Britten), and Polana seem to be considered less-than-stellar.

I really hope as an amateur plant breeder, I never release a cultivar that's panned to that level. Then again, the climate I'm growing the raspberries in is so harsh only the strong survive every year. They're not pampered.
>>
>>969709

Incidentally, I have a hypothesis I hope to test one day. That harsh-climate raspberry cultivars, breed from multiple generations of raspberry seedlings in that environment, will do better in trials than cold-climate raspberries.

This is because the harsh-climate raspberries underwent a harsher selection process, as the heat weeded out the weak ones much more than in a cold climate.
>>
File: DSC00141.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00141.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
wild rasbis best rasbis
>>
>>969709
well how nice now plant 8k of them and tend to them
my last year in tomatoes I pulled 65 thousand kilograms of fucking tomatoes out of them

the whole plant community is kind of shit, it's like these plants have developed intelligence and are subtlely and secretly brainwashing the farmers growing them
>>
>>969716

I intend to grow as many raspberry seedlings as possible, over multiple generations. Because my goal is relatively simple (which ones withstand the heat, and how soon does each one produce berries?), it shouldn't be too hard to do evaluations.
>>
>>969715
i get ones like that in my backyard. they only are around for about 2 weeks @ like july 20. i live in new jersey.
>>
>>969367
Right now I only grow red and yellow. I always wanted to try those hybrid raspberries.
>>
>>969524
Grill country?
>>
>>969832

Purple raspberries are definitely the last frontier for me. I've tried the other types (red, black, yellow).
>>
File: CzKqz9aWQAEutH9.jpg (43KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
CzKqz9aWQAEutH9.jpg
43KB, 604x453px
>>969870
>>
>>970097
awww yissss
>>
>>970097

Oh God, my arteries hurt just looking at it.
>>
>>
>>970126
How is it in the south now? Still shity?
>>
>>970128
it's fuckin awesome
>>
>>969701

In fairness, I don't understand the logic of growing tall raspberry plants with weak canes (if you're on a budget). Because what happens is the canes become so damn heavy, they SNAP under their own weight. You have to spend extra on buying supports for the blasted things.
>>
I live in the northeast USA, lots of wild raspberries, black raspberries, and blackberries about here. I'd like to plant some in my yard to harvest, how do I go about picking the best berries, and how do I plant them effectively so that they germinate?
>>
Who Salmonberry up in here?
>>
>>970146

Harvest the berry seeds. Clean them, then break down the seed coats with hydrogen peroxide. Chill them for 2 months in a container.

How you plant them is up to you. You can put them in seed trays with sterile seed starter mix, though personally I'd keep the seed trays outside so you don't have to worry about "hardening" the seedlings off (i.e gradually getting them used to being outside).

Alternately, you can plant the treated seeds directly into the ground if there is no more danger of freeze and frost.
>>
sss
>>
>>970133
exactly, you plant posts every few meters with wires attached to them and every plant has to be tied to the wire in order to support the weight. then additional lateral strings are needed to support the weight of the fruit

what else are you gonna do, let them grow up to knee height? what about the reduced efficiency of each stem, the huge amount of land area it would take (we don't have a lot of comfortable flat land in the mountains), the amount of saplings you'd need to plant and the immense watering system you'd need to deploy in order to feed them, and the amount of nets to cover the plantation to protect from hail
>>
>>970161

Or you could just buy raspberry cultivars that are known for strong, upright canes.

Not every raspberry variety is a finicky pain in the butt.
>>
Do you guys have a preferred and/or despised cultivar of raspberry you've worked with?
>>
>>969401
Lol I have an entire 10 acre field of them in michigan. Way too much effort to clear them all so I leave em for the deer and hunt in them
>>
>>970231
>>969401

And this is why I plant my raspberries in containers. Raspberries are technically "domesticated", but give them the chance and they'll take over an area.

It's why even in a hot climate, they'll show surprising resilience.
>>
File: 20160505_171016.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160505_171016.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
We have wild blacks, wild reds, a purple hybrid that started right in our backyard, and some wild allegheny blackberries.
>>
>>970312
Pretty cool. Looks like you have decent amount of berries there.
>>
>>970191
yah but none of them will reach 2.5 meters in height, and these raspberries are better
>>
>>970528

Still, wild berries are precious for their genetic diversity.
>>
Buying seed trays this year. Going to plant 100+ seeds (F1 hybrids from crossing purchased raspberry plants by hand), scarified with hydrogen peroxide and chilled in tight jar.

I'll germinate them in sterile seed-starting mix, then plant the promising seedlings in larger trays with soil.
>>
NE USA

have red and golden berries that were bought, plus black ones that sprung up naturally....most are in large buckets or planters

I've tried going more from cuttings, but it's not gone well
>>
File: Chinook Pedigree.png (30KB, 449x424px) Image search: [Google]
Chinook Pedigree.png
30KB, 449x424px
>>
>>972662

Do you think hydrogen peroxide is strong enough to scarify carob seeds and other hard shell seed?
Those fuckers are a pain to make them sprout
>>
>>973902

Hmmm.....not sure.

You could try briefly exposing them to boiling hot water.
>>
Trying to grow this raspberry in this container. Got it from the nursery a few weeks back, it was in a really small pot, but i think i can save it.

My question is how do you prune/train these things?

Looking at how they pruned it while it was sitting at the nursery, i see they cut all the growth except for the oldest """canes""" and top of the cane, trying to get them as long as possible i think?

But as you can see the planter i placed it in is already off the ground so i want this to be more bushy bramble than tall vines. I think this is possible?

I'm guessing it is pretty straight forward, i train the canes i have now to grow horizontally and top them when they get too far out the edges of the planter, also i should leave new growth on the canes unlike what i saw from the nursery.

I'm also guessing all those new little babby canes can be left alone, they'll grow bushy like on their own.

Thanks for this thread already! I think worst case scenario i can still get this sucker to grow seeing as they grow similar to their blackberry cousins
>>
>>974481
that container looks rather small

>My question is how do you prune/train these things?
use some garden twine to tie them up to secured poles

cut out the old canes when they die

just leave the babies

you can trim off the tops when they get too tall, and guide the minor canes to be more horizontal and be enhance its bushyness
>>
>>974496
>small container.

Yes i think this is true, but before it planted it there, it was in a 2 gallon pot, that container is at least 20 gallons or close

I'm thinking i can put this guy in that wierd planter for now and when it starts geting a little big i'll put it in something else or into the ground if i can find a nice spot. ( dont live here it's my moms house )
>>
>>974511
you could always split them into bunches then put each in a 5 gallon bucket, that should be fine
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.