[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tarp vs Solo Tent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

File: TentvsTarp.png (298KB, 947x290px) Image search: [Google]
TentvsTarp.png
298KB, 947x290px
What do you use for multi-day hikes and why?

I've been using a standard blue Walmart-brand tarp for about 4 years now, and I haven't really run into any problems with it, other than animals being able to come up and sniff me every now and then.
>>
Real benefits of a tent that I can think of at the moment:

> more privacy
> better bug protection
> warmer
> More cozy
> j hfkldsjhgsuirlgknrgsr;srdgorsid gsdn glnrld;gn;lsngr;gjod;rgj sdlngl;dsfgnosj;oidjrg oijdg;;dfn gndfkljgro;eihgoirhdg;o idfgdg;odg dkfnglsdg ljkdfglkjdf gljdflg jldf jgdfmgn srgnlgnlsgl;srjgso;gjoirdjg ofgj ;glnlsrngsrng sd nlnglnrgrlknglkgn lsfdg nfdng ,mngrlg; drlkgnrld;kgnsdklng
>>
>>969054
Kek id like to know where you use a tarp where fucking mosquitos don't eat you alive.
>>
>>969060
Arizona, but there's not a whole lot of mosquitoes since most of the state is pretty dry and they need water holes to spawn. But if there's bugs out I bring a net to cover my sleeping bag.
>>
>>969054
Prefer tarp in cooler (less-buggy) weather.
>>
File: Plash Palatka.jpg (11KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
Plash Palatka.jpg
11KB, 261x193px
>>969054
I go both ways. I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek, which is really nice (2 person, but fuck trying to fit two people in that thing I'm a bigger man and like to spread out a little when I sleep)

I also have a variety of ponchos and tarps I like to use. I like the simplicity of it. Bugs suck, but it's part of life. People who lived on this earth 200 years ago just fucking dealt with it.
>>
>>969054
Am I the only person on /out/ that just uses an SOL escape bivvy? It's the lightest thing you can carry that actually sheds water, and unlike tarps or tents, it doesn't just block wind, it actively reflects the heat back to you. Bugs are the only issue, and it's not such a big deal to just man up and deal with it.
>>
>>969063
What about snakes look for warm cozy spots?
>>
>>969111
Never heard of it until now. They say it's breathable and durable, but that seems too good to be true.

What do you do with your gear? Put a small tarp over it while you sleep in the bivy?
>>
>>969111
I use kelty bivy
literally always a little wet inside (i guess from breath condensation) but always just a few big drops never more
>>
>>969117
what i do with my bivy is keep all my shit outside it. hang water-resistant backpack upright on a tree.
good to go m8
>>
>>969115

Another az anon here, snakes are why I sleep in a tent or in my truck.
>>
>>969115
>>969159
Where do you guys camp that snakes are a problem?
>>
>>969272
Anywhere that's not Ireland
>>
>>969289
timely kek
>>
File: 1422994474376.png (49KB, 398x409px) Image search: [Google]
1422994474376.png
49KB, 398x409px
>>969060
>not using DEET or Icaridin and Permethrin
>>
hammock camp master race
>>
>>969060
>put one end to the ground
>put bug net on other
>apply smoke
>>
File: kelty 16x16.jpg (149KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kelty 16x16.jpg
149KB, 1280x720px
>>969054
>standard blue Walmart-brand tarp

Yep. 9x9, usually just put it on the ground but it's an OK emergency shelter.

If rain is in the forecast I just don't go.

Got pic related as a gift this year and it's so huge I'm not sure what to do with it.
>>
>>969054

I prefer hammock and tarp setup. Fucked my back up some yrs ago from a car accident, after that I can't sleep on a pad any more without waking up in a shit ton of pain. Which sucks, wife always went camping with me, now she doesn't so much any more cause of that.

I do like being able to set up shop in a lot more places (WA fag here, so trees, trees every where.)
>>
Try a painters drop cloth. Much lighter than a tarp.
>>
>>970224
Also much easier to rip, though, right?

>>969930
Look at the size of that fucking thing. Maybe use it for a common area while camping?
>>
>>970224
Also not waterproof.
>>
>>970143
>Which sucks, wife always went camping with me, now she doesn't so much any more cause of that.

https://www.amazon.com/Sorbus-Brazilian-Double-Hammock-Extra-Long/dp/B01HIVH2NG/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1489731873&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2828442011

Never give up.
>>
File: 20160830_163747.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160830_163747.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
Seek Outside LBO (Lil Bug Out...as in, keeps bugs out, not like 'bugging out'). Super light, simple, roomy and you can pretty much configure it any way you want. Open shelter? Check. One man with a vestibule? Check. Want your mutt? Add another shelter half. Three or four friends, or room for gear and a wood stove? Add the center tarp.

Really impressed with it. You can find some videos of it being used in winter and also standing up to some serious Fuck You Level wind.

In the pic I have two 'shelter halves' together...my wife and I each have one but I steal them both when I go solo. I still kinda sucked at pitching it in the pic but after some adjustment it was fine. It has an integrated stuff sack which is fine but I like to wad each one up in to a compression sack. A little larger than two soda cans for this setup.

I dont know what it weighs because its too light to bother.
>>
File: 20160830_171835.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160830_171835.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>970508

I also got a War Bonnet hammock for Christmas that Im eager to try. Was going to try it this winter but Im kind of a whore and took an extra seasonal job, plus had some really crazy shit go on with my well that I wound up fixing like five times, its been fucked as hell.
>>
>>969054
Wait. Shit just comes up and SNIFFS you nigga?

What size of critter are we talking here? Like moles? Deer? Fuckin coons? Id shit if a coon sniffed me, those things are mean as fuck. That sounds like a special sort of nerve wracking hell.
>>
File: 20160830_185617.jpg (623KB, 2048x1152px)
20160830_185617.jpg
623KB, 2048x1152px
>>970509
One more from that overnighter, just because it was so fantastic. Sorry, no tent in this one.
>>
>>970515
the hell is that from? Australia?
>>
File: 1994-2014 Bigfoot Sightings.png (431KB, 1000x773px) Image search: [Google]
1994-2014 Bigfoot Sightings.png
431KB, 1000x773px
>>970513
I had a sasquatch rub my tent once

still a little freaked out
>>
>>969336
I own a cat.
>>
>>970508
Sooo... a simple tarp?
>>
>>970513
I had a coyote sniff my face, which woke me up and I had to chase him away. That was more funny than anything else.

A skunk came up to me and started investigating my pack and my sleeping bag. I woke up and heard some rustlin', then when I turned my light on I saw the little guy start headbutting my foot. I instantly turned my light off and went still, trying to be as calm as possible while I called out to my buddy who came over and managed to herd it away from me. At one point it was right next to my arm and turned around and raised its tail, and I just closed my eyes and waited for it, but it didn't spray. I was a huge idiot and left food in my pack, though, so I had that coming.

A porcupine came up and checked me out, just shuffled over and sniffed my leg, then waddled off into the trees. He stuck around our camp so we named him Chunk because he was fat and friendly.

Had some squirrels come up to me, but those little guys are adorable so I actually look forward to that.

But I keep a rifle and a bayonet next to me in case anything unfriendly decides I'm a synthetic-wrapped burrito.
>>
>>970515
I can almost pretend the sky is its own mountain range
>>
>>969054
If an animal sniffs you youd better sniff that fucker right back
>>
>>970999
Lol, I have no idea why thats upside down. It doesnt display upside down on my phone gallery....
>>
would a tarp be a good idea for shelter if its my first time camping?
i dont really want to spend a lot of money on a tent
>>
>>971271
No, simply because it takes a bit of skill and messing around to set it up your first time, and you don't want to have to rely on that your first time.
Ozark Trail makes tents for like $30, just go to Walmart and pick out a cheap one.
>>
>>969059
also : weight
>>
>>970351
Folds down so small too. Hardly takes any space in my backpack.
>>
>>971271
Backpacking or car camping? If car camping, >>971296 is right. If not, do your research. Get a good groundcloth and bug net. Also don't use paracord as it stretches when wet. Get stakes too. Learn about knots and different ways of pitching a tarp and practice practice practice. Don't be that fucking dildo who watches the how-to video once and says "welp! Looks like i'm prepared!"
>>
>>969272

All of arizona has snakes.
>>
>>970555
nice digits
but cats are for women and schizos
basically you're fucking gay
>>
>>969054

Tent. I tried the tarp thing a few times and found it only worked well in perfect weather. Wind, water, bugs and mosquitoes all made for miserable nights. A cheapie dome tent fixed this.
>>
File: DDD_UncannyValley6.jpg (118KB, 386x500px) Image search: [Google]
DDD_UncannyValley6.jpg
118KB, 386x500px
>>970948
>>
>>969059
>less weight
>>
File: 1462375780680.jpg (484KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1462375780680.jpg
484KB, 1024x768px
Hey I need a quality rainproof tent for three seasons (spring, summer, autumn) in Scandinavia where it gets pretty rainy, even in the summer. It should fit 3-4 people because I need two to fit in comfortably with gear. Does anybody have any recommendations? I've been going through Amazon but it's a lot of mixed reviews.
>>
>>972059
What was your set-up for the tarp? I've camped in rain and snow with only a tarp and stayed dry the whole time.
>>
>>972303
bump
>>
>>969054
Pair of plash palatkas, whatever suitable sticks I can find nearby and paracord. Hasn't failed me yet, though I got a mosquito net for the summers.
>>
>>969060
bring a bug net bro
>>
>>969289
hah nice
>>
>>970948
honestly sounds pretty fucking sweet
>>
>>972044
sweet digits bruh
>>
>>972303
Pyramid tent always for high wind high snow/rain environments. Great weight great to space ratio. You can even hot tent depending on the brand.
>>
>>972303
You could buy a pair of those Polish ponchos and make a tipi style tent out of them. They're pretty heavy though.
>>
Instead of making a new thread, I'll reply to this one.

I'm planning on taking my girlfriend camping in Pennsylvania, but she gets awful reactions to bug bites so I need a good tent that will keep the bastards out. Im a poor college student so I'm not looking to spend much more than a hundred or so. Also I am going to carry it in a 55l, so as small as possible. Any suggestions? I've slept in my car or on the ground or in a tarp, so this will be my first tent. Milsurp?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.