[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here worked wildland fire before? Just got hired on a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: columbia-fire-run.jpg (51KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
columbia-fire-run.jpg
51KB, 800x600px
Anyone here worked wildland fire before? Just got hired on a fuels crew in R4 this summer, 1st season. Worked a few years of trails and ecology/forestry stuff so I'm not totally green but still a very new experience. I'm in need of new boots, hate the big logger styled ones, would much prefer a more modern hiker design. Any recs or general advice?
>>
>>968148

I did a season on a hotshot crew a couple years ago which was extremely fun. Just make sure you get on the good side of your crew. If people like you you'll have a great time, but if you aren't likeable you will hate life. Also make sure you are in good shape it will make the job much easier.
>>
Get you a pair of whites

As you know, you'll need nails in the sole because glue will melt out there

See ya in the hellfires brother!
>>
>>968205
Have you had any experience with Scarpas? I'd prefer to stay away from loggers but I do love the option of recrafting them. My unit isn't designated IA so I'm not going to be in deep shit every day, mostly prescribed and thinning.
>>
File: md.jpg (42KB, 647x482px) Image search: [Google]
md.jpg
42KB, 647x482px
I'm about to start my 3rd season on a Region 6 IHC. I wore White's my first two seasons exclusively and then last summer I used the $300 boot stipend that all USFS wildland firefighters are entitled to and bought a pair of Meindl Denalis. I wore them on only a couple of assignments and they held up well although I never stood in hot black with them so I'm not sure if they experience delamination issues like Lowas and La Sportivas. I bought them mainly for off season hiking and hunting. They're pretty comfy 2bh.
>>
>>968448
>My unit isn't designated IA so I'm not going to be in deep shit every day, mostly prescribed and thinning.

Why are you asking about wildland firefighting if you're just working a fuels crew? Are they even going to let you get red-carded?
>>
>>968496
Poor phrasing, long day. We get red carded and everything, I just don't think I'll be going off district or on rolls as much as the hand/engine crews in the district.
>>
I have a custom pair of smoke jumpers. Really comfortable and I couldn't get comfortable with off the shelf pairs. Expensive but worth it.

Also socks make a huge difference with footwear comfort. Smart wool light or medium cushion with poly liners when breaking in boots. After broken in ditch the liners.

It's better to invest in the logger boots. It will take awhile to get soft and comfortable but it's worth it if you're going career.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.