[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dirt Bikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 25

File: 450x.jpg (124KB, 800x604px) Image search: [Google]
450x.jpg
124KB, 800x604px
Anybody on this board go innawoods on a dirt bike? If not, why no? I go riding at least 3 days a week out here in the NJ pine barrens reserve. Thousands of acres of woods and hundreds of miles of trail right out of my back yard. Really fun, especially with friends. Also posting some pics I took.
>>
File: IMG_20160319_144048.jpg (812KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160319_144048.jpg
812KB, 2560x1920px
>>
>>968106
>>
File: new_bike.jpg (699KB, 898x897px) Image search: [Google]
new_bike.jpg
699KB, 898x897px
>>
File: silt_pond.jpg (333KB, 899x899px) Image search: [Google]
silt_pond.jpg
333KB, 899x899px
>>
>>968105
I grew up riding dirt bikes. I parked my xr250 about 10 years ago though and haven't rode it since. I always loved being able to just hop on it and ride. We had a family farm with about 600 acres, and had quite a few uncles and cousins right close by each with a few hundred acres, so we had about 1000 acres total to ride on, plus whatever trails crossed neighbors land that we were allowed on.
>>
>>968120
Sounds cool man. You should get back into it. It's a lot more fun and a lot easier to cover lots of ground than just hiking by foot. In my opinion at least...
>>
>>968105
>If not, why no?
because they're loud and annoying and i'm not a selfish faggot who's going to ruin the experience of being /out/ for everyone else within 3 miles to satisfy my need for gofast. plus i enjoy being /out/ to be /out/, not surrounding myself with the noise and exhaust of an engine, and limiting my vision with a helmet.
see also: jetski, wakeboard, atv, snowmobile, etc.
>>
>>968127
>Doesn't like gofast
>Helmets aren't designed too keep your vision intact
>Hearing a DOT approved exhaust from 3 miles away.

hmmm..... Really makes you think.
>>
>>968145
>Doesn't like gofast
oh i like gofast, that's why i have a bimmer. i just do it where it's less obnoxious to everyone else
>Helmets aren't designed too keep your vision intact
congratulations on completely missing the point of what i was saying, but considering that by this point you've been shaken more than a mexican baby i'm not surprised reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths. my point was that between the physical limitation of the helmet on your field of vision and the operational limit based on having to pay attention to where you're going you can't see as well as me.
>Hearing a DOT approved exhaust from 3 miles away.
i'd invite you out to a nice sierra morning to see for yourself, but i imagine you can't hear anything below 80 dba at this point anyways, so it'd be kind of a waste.

but believe whatever you want to believe to continue to justify your selfish behavior to yourself.
>>
>>968127
I thought so too, but I've been incredibly surprised with mine. She's fairly quiet and my helmet gives me lots of view. Of course it's not the same as hiking, but I wouldn't say hiking is totally superior. I can go to places on my bike that I would never have access to hiking, unless of course I take multiple days off work. On my bike, I can do it in an day or even afternoon. I can easily go fast or go as slow as I want, or, if I'm feeling particularly devilish, I can turn off my bike and walk around.
>>
File: 74726756.jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
74726756.jpg
42KB, 800x587px
>>968181

>selfish behavior
>"Hey don't do what I don't like because I said so!"

Here's a really interesting article that I think you might find interesting on this:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrisy
>>
>>968206
don't worry, i can provide irrelevant links as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Cotterell
>>
>>968209
>>968206

Both of you neckbeards should grow up
>>
>>968219
Fuck you I got off pampers last week im a grown man and i'll make awful posts where I please.
>>
What do you carry with you? I want to get a dedicated bag for off roading (just tools, no perishables). This is my work in progress list at the moment:

> mule tape
> tie boss
> hatchet
> zap straps
> whistle
>>
>>968244
>pampers
at least you got that right. i took you for a huggies bitch nigger.
>>
>>968257
I carry:
Zip ties
Electrical tape
The common size wrenches on my bike
Multi bit screw driver
leatherman
para cord
Paper towels in a zip lock bag (in case I gotta shit)
Vise grips
Spare fuses
Spare spark plug
>>
>>968273
Thanks! How do you carry them? Right now I just wear a backpack, but because I want this dedicated to my bike, I was hoping to get side bags, but they're really expensive. She has a rack at the back but it's really awkward and has a useless tool bag bolted on. Do you carry extra fuel? How do you do it?

I'm new to biking, but if she doesn't have a battery, she won't need fuses, right?
>>
>>968127
This is me also.

I never saw the appeal. I like the peace and quiet when I go /out/ and the challenge of doing things unassisted. Dont wanna rip up trails or dust people out. And yeah, you CAN hear that shit from way far away.

I own a UTV but Ive never taken it off my property. It plows snow and then sits all summer except if I need to move firewood.

If I want to gofast I do like to mountain bike, but again it comes down to a technical and physical challenge and I still get my quiet.
>>
>>968312
To clarify, I dont begrudge ATVers or dirt bikers. I just like my way better and prefer we stay separate.
>>
>>968281
I have one of these backpack things. works well for me

There's probably a fuse for the headlights and stuff in that bike because even if there's no battery, it's still drawing electricity from the motor while it's running (to power the headlights and shit) via stator. So there's still fuses for those. But if the headlight isn't super important to you then you don't really need to carry em. I carry fuses because my bike runs on electronic fuel injection (EFI) instead of a carburetor. So if my EFI fuse blows (which it has before, especially in humid weather) I'm dead in the water. So i always carry fuses.
>>
>>968312
>it comes down to a technical and physical challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l11CgdPbLlY

try to tell me this isn't a challenge. Wait for a few seconds in when I get into the trail.
>>
>>968321
Not saying that its not a challenge or doesnt require skill, but you dont get anywhere near the exercise as you would on MTB and I find MTB is just more fun.

Also

>that noooiiissse

Sorry, just kills it for me. I might as well just stay home or work overtime.
>>
I think to non bike people everything is a dirt bike & is loud. There is a diff. between dirt bike/ race bike, duel sports, & trial bikes. Listed in the order of most noise to least, as I see it.

Old bikes of course will make more noise & if it has aftermarket exhaust that will make it louder.

I think it's a shame that they can't make 2 stroke duel sports, I think they make less noise then 4 strokes do & the sound carrys less with a 2 stroke too.
>>
File: 300_xcw.jpg (96KB, 1000x608px) Image search: [Google]
300_xcw.jpg
96KB, 1000x608px
>>968347
My 2017 ktm 300 xc-w 2 stroke is street legal so I could dual sport it if I wanted to.
>>
>>968329
kek I guess not everybody's into it. That's one of my favorite sounds out there

>2 stroke in the power band
>>
>>968312
>Dont wanna rip up trails or dust people out.
I only ride on logging roads (active or not).

Dirt bike is just as challenging as mountain biking. I do both. Trials even more so. I can get to places that I'd never be able to get to on my mountain bike, unless, like hiking, I take multiple days off. Mountain bikes have specific trails because they too rip up and destroy the hiking trails and environment.

Mountain bike, dirt/dual sport, hiking all have their places. None is better than the other; it depends on what your needs are.
>>
File: DSC06573-L.jpg (180KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06573-L.jpg
180KB, 800x600px
>>968111
nnnnnnnnnnice, also >trips

>>968257
>carry with you
You've got a good start.
Of what you have listed, I'd drop the hatchet... bring a folding camp saw or pocket chainsaw instead. I carry a folding saw, mainly use it to clear trails on spring rides... once trails are cleared I don't really worry about it. Might bring it, might not.

Pretrip the bike - check fluid levels, tire pressure, service intervals, bolt check, etc before you leave the house.

Tools - I have a small tool wrap with most of what I use to maintain the bike. Work out of that in the garage when you're doing maintenance - much rather find out I need a 6mm allen wrench when i'm in the garage than when i'm out innawoods. Couple of extra bolts, hose clamps, washers, zip ties, etc for when something rattles loose (on that note, loctite almost everything...).
Old pic, I've changed a few things, but >pic related.

Carabiners are handy, along with the mule tape.

Trash bags (the heavy kitchen-size ones) have a lot of uses. Trail map. Extra gloves/socks. Basic FAK. Toilet paper ("mountain money").
>>
File: DSC_4926_.jpg (126KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4926_.jpg
126KB, 800x533px
>>968281
>I just wear a backpack
same
Bags/luggage is kinda nice, but I'd rather keep the bike light.

>Do you carry extra fuel?
If i'm on a marathon ride out where I'm pushing the limit of the tank, I'll throw a 24oz MSR fuel can in my pack. I've got a water-bottle-pouch on the side that I use for that. Short length of tubing is nice if you need to siphon some fuel from someone else.

If your bike has an electrical system at all, it probably has fuses on it.

>>968273
>(you), good stuff. A well-tuned 4t shouldn't ever need a plug replacement on the trail (I don't bother carrying one), but it's not a bad idea to bring one or two if you're on a smoker.
>>
>>968371
Nice EXC. Do you have to do valves on that bike often?
>>
>>968371
>keep the bike light
>525 EXC
pick one
>>
File: DSC_3778_-L.jpg (212KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3778_-L.jpg
212KB, 800x533px
>>968379
Stock, with as much as I ride in the summer, yeah... did valves every month or two.

Had the valve seats bored open 1mm, put nice SS kibblewhites in there and now I do valves once a year.

Mine's the XCW, none of the cali emissions crap on it. Here it's real easy to get an offroad-use-only bike plated, so it was less work to put the streety-bits on it than unfuck the exhaust/fender/etc stuff.

>>968385
With all the shit on it, ready-to-ride, that bike's still only 272lbs.
>>
>>968401
My 05 450x used to eat valves too. Then i put stainless steel valves in it. The stock titanium ones in honda motors are shit. Then I bought a 2 stroke and don't have to deal with that anymore. Just mixin' gas and gettin ass over here now. 2 banger 4 life. It makes just as much power as a 450 4 stroke but weighs 209 pounds. (65 lbs less than my old bike)
>>
>>968329
>I might as well just stay home or work overtime.

Then you're not a true out fag.
>>
>>968368
>Of what you have listed, I'd drop the hatchet... bring a folding camp saw or pocket chainsaw instead.
Good idea, thank you!

>Work out of that in the garage when you're doing maintenance
Unfortunately new to biking so I haven't actually done any maintenance myself, so even if I did have the tools, I would have no idea how to use them.

>Carabiners, first aid
Will add to my list!

>>968371
She's been in the shop a bit since I bought her in rough shape, so "should" be fine. I'll be taking little trips for a while until I get more confident in /out/ maintenance
>>
File: IMG_20140608_172625864_HDR-L.jpg (144KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140608_172625864_HDR-L.jpg
144KB, 800x450px
>>968426
Grab a copy of the service manual... that's what the mechanics use to fix the shit.
Mine's got step-by-step pictures on how to do everything from an oil change to crank rebuild.

Know anyone that races? A couple years on the race track, and fixing all the shit you'll break on the race track, will teach you more than you ever wanted to know about a vehicle.
Buddy helped me out the first time I needed a top-end done, good to have someone who knows what to expect and the little tricks help you along. Once I did that, the next one wasn't nearly as intimidating... and having done major rebuilds on sled/bike, I don't even think twice when I need to split a crankcase anymore.

Good to have those skills too - when something quits working on the trail, you at least have some idea of where to look or what to do to get things running again.

Local dealers are ~$100/hour ... that shop labor adds up real quick. Spend the money on good tools instead.
>Pic related
>>
>>968401
Where do you live that it's so easy to get a off road bike played? Here in NJ it's basically not possible. I get my stuff plated out of state (in South dakota) instead. And drive it here with out of state played on it.
>>
File: i-7dKD4F2-L.jpg (92KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-7dKD4F2-L.jpg
92KB, 800x600px
>>968594
Rockies. Pretty easy in most mountain states to plate a moto. Some documentation from dealer/seller, tires/mirror/horn/lights, insurance, equipment inspection and VIN verification, and some freedombux to the local DMV.
>>
>>968999
Damn. Sounds nice. All they wanna do in NJ is bitch about my emissions and shit on anything that's fun. And I can't even move off the coast into a freedom state because I literally drive fucking boats for a living.
>>
File: DSC_4219_-L.jpg (151KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4219_-L.jpg
151KB, 800x534px
>>969018
sux4u.
>>
>>969018
You a tugboat guy in the Deleware?
>>
i had 3 dirt bikes

one is a project, one became a project last year, and one got stolen around the same time the other one became a project

feels bad
>>
>>969018
Drive boats in Washington, then
>>
>>969288
I'm tugboat guy but spend most my working time in New York and New Jersey ports.
>>
>>969434
The North West Pacific states are NOT freedom states. Just as bad or worse than NJ legislation wise
>>
>>969333
Well you better get moving on those projects. How bad are they??
>>
>>969568
250 has a leaky seal and piston slap
400 needs a new carb and leaks oil out of the shifter which could be a nightmare or an $8 sealm, idk
it also needs a billion other things if i want it plated, which i haven't decided yet

i didn't work at all last year so i'm just going to wait until i have money coming in to deal with the bikes

i still have my little 500 honda street bike that's clinging to life so i'm not /nobike/ yet
>>
>>969619
250 also broke a bolt off the crankcase and gear oil comes out of it. will probably need to be machined out by someone not me

almost forgot about that
>>
File: IMG_20140531_183240162.jpg (120KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140531_183240162.jpg
120KB, 800x450px
>>969619
>250 has a leaky seal and piston slap
New piston, $100ish, cylinder replate probably $200. Gasket kit is about $100.
Might also look for a complete motor on ebay or the local junkyards.

>400 needs a new carb and leaks oil out of the shifter which could be a nightmare or an $8 sealm, idk
How bad is the carb? Gasket/diaphragm kit shouldn't be too pricey. Hot water and Pine-Sol bath will do amazing things to a crusty carb.

Shifter's probably the seal. May be able to pick the seal out without disassembling the case halves. If not, that seal should be part of a complete gasket kit which you'll need anyways.
Sometimes the shift lever can get galled up or grooved around that seal, smooth that off with fine-grit sandpaper or emery cloth before you reassemble.

>it also needs a billion other things if i want it plated, which i haven't decided yet
Out here it's usually worth the bump in resale value if it's got a title/plate.

>i didn't work at all last year so i'm just going to wait until i have money coming in to deal with the bikes
Set up Google Alerts for craigslist/ebay for the big parts you need. In some cases it may be cheaper to buy the whole assembly/engine vs. just a part, so add search terms for that stuff too.

>i still have my little 500 honda street bike that's clinging to life so i'm not /nobike/ yet
Mine needs some love this spring. Runs now, but I think the VR's crapping out. Might be battery, but it looks like that's still got good capacity.
>>
File: IMG_20170206_210232242-L.jpg (106KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170206_210232242-L.jpg
106KB, 799x450px
>>969623
>broke a bolt off the crankcase and gear oil comes out of it

Probably leaking oil because there's no force on the gasket holding the case halves together.

Penetrating oil and heat along with an easy-out has gotten out all but one bolt i've ever broke in all my years riding/racing sleds and bikes.
If the threads are fucked, get a helicoil or timesert kit and drill/tap that in. Use a little bit of red loctite on the outside of the helicoil to keep it in and sealed.
>>
https://www.rokon.com/ /thread
>>
File: IMG_6749.jpg (229KB, 750x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6749.jpg
229KB, 750x499px
>>
>>969925
I wish KTM never bought them
>>
>>969925
>tfw no gf
>>
>>970308
Do you really want to wait for a 2slow woman every time you ride? And riding is a time where I like to get away from it all either with my dudes or with myself and the gr8 outdoors. I don't really want the lady friend nagging to tag along all the time, it would turn the good ol' dirt scooter into another thing of frustration. Believe me, it already happened to one of my favorite activities when I started to let her come with me fishing.
>>
File: 1143581.jpg (203KB, 923x615px) Image search: [Google]
1143581.jpg
203KB, 923x615px
>>970317
>implying all girls are slow

Some, yes. Not all.
>>
>>970321
>some
you mean vast majority
>>
File: 20170114_122507.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170114_122507.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
>>968127
Thank God this ignorant faggot forgot to shit on quads!
>>
File: 20161229_163533.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161229_163533.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>>968257
>sunblock
>kerchiff
>3/4" x 20' nylon webbing
>spare googles
>sunglasses
>SW M317>>968368
>>
File: DSC07709-L.jpg (319KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC07709-L.jpg
319KB, 800x600px
>>972113
Hardest part about riding a quad is having to tell your parents you're gay...
>>
>>972715
I've driven atvs through 2 1/2' water over a solid layer of spawning salmon, i had a fucking salmon wedged in my frame, and kept on trucking. Cant do that on a bike
>>
>>972113
>4 wheels

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHJAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.