[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why not simply throw it in the fire? i don't get it...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 56

File: batt.jpg (16KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
batt.jpg
16KB, 640x360px
why not simply throw it in the fire? i don't get it...
>>
>>967998
Why not simply everyone drive a camry?
>>
File: campan_matei_2_cv.jpg (96KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
campan_matei_2_cv.jpg
96KB, 768x576px
>>967998

Because the consumerist madness that is the knife industry, biz and world consists solely about how good can a knife split wood like a chisel.

drive next
>>
>>967998
You split little logs like that down to get at the dry wood inside them, then feather it so you can start your fire. Thats the only time you need to do that. Once the fire is going, youre good. Memesters around here would rather just play make believe about knife autism than admit there is a place for processing firewood with a knife.
>>
File: Batonny Babby Chop Chop.jpg (3MB, 3132x2744px) Image search: [Google]
Batonny Babby Chop Chop.jpg
3MB, 3132x2744px
>>967998
Because batonny chop chop!!!
>>
>>968023
>>
>>968023
You don't need to crack it open to feather it. It is a wee twig in the first place.
>>
looks like a good way to accidental stab yourself our lose a finger.
>>
>>968076
Yeah... well. Baton or not baton, I don't care. Sometimes you might need to, maybe you never have to.

But notice a common theme with these silly batoning pictures? Look at the knives.

Looks to me they're all some shit tier lame stuff with bad steel.

Maybe some knife spotting /outists can ID all the knives in these pics so we can gain some insight from it.
>>
File: Michael Bay Swingset.gif (2MB, 131x280px) Image search: [Google]
Michael Bay Swingset.gif
2MB, 131x280px
>>968133
>bad steel

lol You don't know shit about metallurgy at all. If you abuse a tool it will break. Didn't your father teach you that?
>>
>>968137
Yeah, better to hang your serrated tacticool black blade on the wall and leave it there to have zero chance of "abuse" and breaking it.

>don't know shit about metallurgy

Yeah, I'm not metallurgist but steel is not just "steel", steels generally differ from each other, sometimes a lot. A properly heat treated 12C27 beats many other steels which on paper are "better" or which are marketed more for mall ninja armchair cucks like you.

Any decent knife can take moderate levels of abuse and certainly batoning too. Of course with retard techniques like hammering perpendicular to the face of the blade while the blade is inside the wood will cause damage if you exert enough force. Either the wood or the blade will break.

Thank you. Now fuck off.
>>
File: r u srs.webm (268KB, 570x322px) Image search: [Google]
r u srs.webm
268KB, 570x322px
>>968183
>abuse tool
>tool breaks
>LOL MUST HAVE BEEN SHIT STEEL AMIRITE
>>
>>968183
>Any decent knife can take moderate levels of abuse

Abuse is a misuse of the tool. Proper usage of the tool is "work load". As in, "Any decent knife can take moderate levels of work load". Batonny Chop Chop is tool abuse, not work load, kid.
>>
>>968183
>>968228
There are types of steel not designed for repeated high impact, like batonning. Those aren't necessarily "worse" steels, they just are designed with other properties in mind. That said, batonning is damaging as fuck for a knife that's not designed for it. Hell, most knives aren't; they're built thin and built for having a good edge (useful in cutting smaller and more flexible things like cordage or vegetables). You're better off using a hatchet or axe to split your wood, where having a sharper edge isn't necessarily a better cut. Weight/thickness is useful as long as you have a nice wedge to get along the grains of the wood.

tl;dr: Batonning is still fucking stupid, but bad steel is a thing.
>>
File: 1488875259341.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1488875259341.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>968238
>now we have to specifically design outdoorsmens knives because numale millennials keep getting cucked when they baton with regular knives that have been working for outdoorsmen for 100s of years. oh and "bad steel"
>>
>>968243
>now we have to specifically design outdoorsmens knives
Yeah, it's pretty fucking dumb that people don't understand how tools work. Next thing you know people are going to complain that their screwdriver doesn't double as a chisel in daily use.

>oh and "bad steel"
I guess a better way of putting it is bad steel for the job.

Different impurities in the iron provide different properties. They can make it more rust resistant, better for impact, lighter, more durable with wear and tear, etc, etc... In many cases, unless you're willing to drop 300 dollars on a simple /out/ knife (and I'm not judging if you are), you have to play a decent amount of give and take on the types of material you're using in the finished product.
>>
>>968261
>Next thing you know people are going to complain that their screwdriver doesn't double as a chisel in daily use.

Were you in that thread on /diy/ too?

>bad steel

That's a cop-out term and meaningless when people are willfully abusing a tool. Mentioning it merely shows how little you know about proper tool use and care.
>>
>>968265
>Were you in that thread on /diy/ too?
No, don't spend much time on /diy/.
>That's a cop-out term and meaningless when people are willfully abusing a tool.
I agree. Using a tool outside its intended purpose is wrong and likely to damage it. I'm not justifying the level of retard to scream about a tool breaking as a result of someone using it improperly.
>Mentioning it merely shows how little you know about proper tool use and care.
Mentioning it in the context of "it's bad overall because it doesn't do what I want" shows how little someone knows about using their stuff. Mentioning that they're not using a tool in a way that the materials its made from are designed to handle isn't wrong either.
>>
>>968278
Neither of which has anything to do with faulty metallurgy.
>>
>>968229

Don't shit your pants, grandpa.

I am confused about this religious-level defense of shit tier steel turds with stupid blade geometries.

If you think your knife has substandard steel and cannot handle anything other than slow cutting without breaking, then don't baton with it then, ever.

I have also used a knife as a screwdriver with the slotted-type head, even Philips-type. Didn't have a screwdriver around at that point and needed to tighten something.

Did my knife break? No.

I've also used a screwdriver as a chisel, and used the dull end of the knife as a hammer. Just because I needed to get something done. And the knife did not break.

I don't do those 24/7 like you probably assume.

Just like you don't drift with a car all the time. Sometimes you just might need to know how to do it and be sure your car doesn't break in two if you try.

I prefer my knife to be of a robust good quality steel so I simply don't have to worry if the blade will crap out on me.

You seem to have other preferences and then implement elaborate mechanisms of denial of non-standard use-cases which in the end just justify your desire to consume new stuff to fuel your macho dreams of being invincible, which in the end stem from your insecurity. Why do you feel insecure, grandpa?

> "abuse is misuse of the tool"
> "proper usage is work load"

Yes, that is exactly what I said. Abuse, verb: "to treat badly"

A knife just should NOT be destroyed if you treat it badly occasionally. If it does, the knife is by definition shit tier and you are a proper diploma-certified idiot justifying the purchase and support of such manufacturers.
>>
>>968071

There is nothing wrong with that Junglas. So why is it in the picture?
>>
File: BATONNY.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
BATONNY.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
Rofl, u bushy cucks got nothin'

NOTHIN'

Go suck a dick and think about how terrible your lives are.

Meanwhile, BATONNY CHOPPY CHOP CHOP. ME LOVE CHOPPY BATTENNY FUN TIME WIF BUSHYBUSH KNIFER N CHOPPY CHOP CHOP BATTTTONY FUN TIMES!!!
>>
>>969074
ROFLCOPTER! GOOD ONE, BUSHKEKKER! XD
>>
>>968020
Wow what knife is this? It's beautiful.
>>
>>969074
Weirdo.
>>
>>968300
just get a cold steel SRK and beat the shit out of it at every turn. i stab it through metal shit for fun sometimes just because i can. theres enough metal on there to sharpen it literally thousands of times
>>
>>967998

Cause he can. Seriously, all you ppl are autistic if you get butthurt, triggered or any thing like that over batoning. The person is getting out and enjoying their time, here you all are circle jerking over the same stupid threads. Same goes for /k/ and the stupid ar, knife, edc threads.
>>
>>968229
how fucking simple a concept is it that knives were created with this workload in mind. tunnel harder, or take a breath
>>
>>969190
>knives were created for batonny chop chop

Yup, that type of knife is called a, "froe".
>>
File: Batonny Fail.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Batonny Fail.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>969186
Welcome to the circle jerk fried!

You will never leave here.
>>
>>969223
What a fuggin dum dum. He did everything wrong. Even his movements were awkward.
>>
now that I think about it I'm always taking lighter fluid.
>>
File: Mom don't look.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Mom don't look.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>969228
90% of batonny chop chop babbies have similar motor skills.
>>
>>969222
you chose to tunnel harder. enjoy your eventual aneurysm
>>
File: Batonny Chop Chop Ultra Fail.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Batonny Chop Chop Ultra Fail.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>969249
>he defends batonny chop chop

BABBY BATONNY CHOP CHOP!!!
BATONNY CHOP CHOP!!!
OOPS! BAD STEEL!!!!
REALZ BUSHKEKKER SURVIVALIST!!!!
WOOooOOoo!!!!!
>>
>>969253
First: that log is way too big to baton.
Second: that knife is shit.

If it's you I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but mongoloids with their undies up their cracks over batoning ain't one.
>>
File: Batonny Chop Chop Cry Cry.webm (3MB, 406x720px) Image search: [Google]
Batonny Chop Chop Cry Cry.webm
3MB, 406x720px
>>969261
BABBY BATONNY CHOP CHOP!!!
BATONNY CHOP CHOP!!!
REALZ BUSHKEKKER SURVIVALIST!!!!
OOPS! BAD STEEL!!!!
BATONNY CRY CRY!!!
WAAAAAAAA!!!!!
>>
>>969223
Haha did he really think he could get through fatwood?
>>
>>969244
This is what happens when you waste half your life before getting to the part where you wanna go camping

Never get jobs kids, they make you fat and retarded
>>
bad think is you could dice all this stuff with an avg axe in 2 minutes.
>>
>>969291

Even faster with a motor saw, what's your point?
>>
File: 182 Angle-500x500.jpg (23KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
182 Angle-500x500.jpg
23KB, 500x500px
>>967998

It depends on the fire.

Around here I do a fuel tablet (oh noes), kindling, small sticks, big logs and big sticks. I don't featherstick or baton or scratch kindling. Batonny random pocket knife would be really low on my list versus an axe or froe or hacking blade.
>>
File: Batonny Chop Chop Babby Fail.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Batonny Chop Chop Babby Fail.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>969315
>Batonny random pocket knife

ITS BAD STEEL!!!! :O
>>
>>969328
You should really leave your command center and go out sometime, even for a short walk.
>>
>>969328
i appreciate your crusade in the sense of knife=life or etc and wanton batoning truly is tool abuse, but there are ways to nearly 100% prevent failure, namely choosing wood and not trying to hit it all the way through when you can just pry it apart by hand

your response is too binary to feel like a realistic opinion on the matter and comes across as your hobby. opinionated compulsion
>>
>>969261
"That knife is shit because it wasn't made to be smashed into a log"
>>
File: Batonny Chop Chop Uber Fail.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
Batonny Chop Chop Uber Fail.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>969345
>>969345
Stupid people will do stupid things. Batonny chop chop is a stupid thing. People who do it, don't think things all the way through. If they did, they'd not be batonny chop chop in the first place let along batonny chop chop through knots in wood.
>>
>>969345
>but there are ways to nearly 100% prevent failure
yeah, like not being a fucking cock gobbling retard and batony choppy choppy
>>
>>969365
?
>>
>>967998
So I'm not crazy for only bringing a opinel, mora or leatherman wave with me instead of a giant knife that you use like an axe?

>>968076
NOOO PICKING UP STICKS IS FOR GIRLS. I must be MAN and do everything harder to show my strength.
>>
>>969380
>NOOO PICKING UP STICKS IS FOR GIRLS.

Traditionally, the women gather the firewood, tend the fire, and cook the meals. The men just hunt, defend, and fuck.
>>
>>969244
>tfw bad motor skills
>tfw didn't learn to ride a bike until i was 10
;_;
>>
>>969348
A good knife with quality steel would not have broken, just gotten stuck in the oversized log.
>>
>>969363
Pro tip: the point where the branch used to be is very very dense and hard wood.

I thought this was common knowledge, but apparently this fact has evaded the crowd which consistently misspells the word for batoning.
>>
>>969634
>MUH BAD STEEL!!!!!

Seems that people are just complete fucking morons when it comes to knife use and what they think is a "good test" for a knife.
>>
>>969263
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA LOL.

Fucking bushy cucks will defend this
>>
>>969653
Proper batonny technique right here
>>
>>969653
>nutnfancy webm
>didn't have bushkekker chisel to carve rocks
>but i got muh bushkekker ak-47 bayonet knife

That entire fucking video is pants-on-head retarded. In fact his entire channel is fucking retarded.
>>
Maybe I'm missing something. But wouldn't it be easier to just bring a hachet or small axe to split wood then use a knife and have it break and not have a knife anymore?
>>
>>968074
>cut off burnt peices first
every fucking time
>>
>>969842
No, you're right.

I don't think you realize that we live in a great era where you can just beat the shit out of your things and blame it on the manufacturer because you don't have a tool with thneed level flexibility.
>>
>>969068
I ask this every time it's posted and haven't gotten an answer yet.
>>
>>969863
It looks like there is a small section in the middle of the blade that has come off.
>>
The proper usage of a knife is cutting warm butter. Everything else is knife abuse and the state should take away your knife and put it under the supervision of a knifanage where it can get the proper care and treatment by cutting whipped cream. Then they should be issued to people who has the need for cutting warm butter but can't have their own knives.
>>
>>969653
> "BATONNY[sic] CHOP CHOP"
> webm of someone batoning rocks with a knife to argue the point that batoning wood is always unquestionably retarded

mfw
>>
>>969842
Yes, exactly. And sometimes one does not have hatchet/axe handy, for a myriad of reasons. And then, instead of using the knife, one rather freezes to death or tries to start a fire with a 10 cm radius log.

That is what the batonny/battony[sic] folks are advocating, which can be downright dangerous to someone following this philosophy and never even practising the act which might save their life if they are ever in a really bad situation. E.g. falling through ice, crawling up after dropping the backpack and making it to a small island, making fire for warmth is prio 1.
>>
>>969887
brit detected
>>
>>967998
Because you can't start a fire with full blown logs, you start with small wood. The bigger the log the bigger the fire needs to be to use it as fuel. Often you just want a small fire or even just a small fire pit for cooking, big logs are pretty useless for that.
>>
>>969088
>What is a filename
Welcome newfriend
>>
>>969918
Seems like it is shown to illustrate how moronic the mentality of people who also do batonny chop chop are. Obviously, he isn't doing batonny chop chop in that vid, but in other nutnfancy vids he is a babby batonny chop chopper. He advocates batonny chop chop and has a mentality that also does other retarded things in the name of "survival bushkekker testing". I mean look at these babby bushkekker clowns.

>two people, one batonny chop chop

>>969924
Top kek. I almost did a spit take.
>>
>>969965
>forgot to post the video in the blind anti-bushkekker rage that is botanny chop chop meme posting

Ooo, I feel so much shame right now.
>>
>>969936
Why would you have large logs in the first place? Did you stumble upon these logs or did you use another tool to make them? I'm not really coming up with a good scenario where you can't simply use some deadfall instead, even in rain drenched conditions (which I've started fires in without problem and without tools).
>>
>>968023
desu the bottom left one looks pretty neat, I'd sharpen the wee semicircle and keep it.
>>
>not just using stone hand tools

Oh shit, I forgot my xenon X2000 terminus combi-blade, looks like I'm dead :(
>>
>>968265
What the fuck do you know? Some steels can be significantly weaker than others depending on their comparative chemistries and impurities.
>>
>>968071
Broken tools do not make a strong case for whether baton techniques are valid or not. For starters you need to make sure the knife can take the amount of wood/type of wood you give it. Try to observe natural splits and checks to manipulate. I mostly baton after a rain to get into the dry centers of kindling sized sticks. That's all a knife should be applied for where wood is concerned. What seems to get most people mad on this board is watching idiots who can't even use a ferro rod destroying decent knives on giant shit pieces of wood. Anything larger than an inch in diameter should go to a wedge or just split it with an axe. Get one good swing on the top dead center. Then with the log still attached to the axe head ... Begin to pound that shit on the floor like some primal mallet for a sweet split. Don't forget your guard log for keeping your tootsies fresh and unchopped.
>>
File: lumberjack+daniel+laughing.jpg (43KB, 960x430px) Image search: [Google]
lumberjack+daniel+laughing.jpg
43KB, 960x430px
>>969999
>le bad steel meem
>>
>>970004
Are you one of "those people" who think all steel is steel, somehow uniform in consistence and brittleness and hardness?

Google it up, you might learn something. Or maybe not, since you are a spastic wanker.
>>
>>970007
Seems like you are making an excuse for tool abuse.

>abuse tool
>it breaks
>"tool's fault"

Hurr.
>>
>>970002
Use the right tool and technique for the job at hand.

Also, feathering wet wood with a knife is the best way to start a fire when you don't have an axe.
>>
>>970009
>1960s Woodstock
>Jimi Hendrix plays guitar behind his back
>batonny[sic] chop choppy anon shits pants and starts screaming HURR TOOL ABUSE

Now, tell me what uses of a knife you consider NOT to be abuse.

I will tell you:
1. how little experience you have,
2. how limited your imagination is,
3. how dead you will be in a real survival situation
>>
>>969690

It is garbage. You're correct. The vids should be edited to 3m lengths. You've seen that southpark where people literally shit out their mouths. That's his channel.
>>
>>970101
Only people who think batonny chop chop is okay would be getting themselves into a "survival" situation in the first place.

Remember, there is no legit survival situation where batonny chop chop would need to be done (barring the wild desert-traveling-truck-hauling-logs-in-winter scenario).
>>
File: oh shit.png (331KB, 378x371px) Image search: [Google]
oh shit.png
331KB, 378x371px
>all these photos and webms of batonny chop chop fails
>>
>>970109
Tell me what knife is in that video?

That guy in the video is again trying to baton a HUGE log. A more appropriate size would be roughly the size of the wood that moron uses to bang the big log.
>>
File: cry cry.png (168KB, 659x834px) Image search: [Google]
cry cry.png
168KB, 659x834px
>>970163
>Tell me what knife is in that video?

Buck Hoodlum

It is the preferred knife to batonny chop chop test until failure.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Buck+Hoodlum+fail&tbm=vid
>>
>>970163
>That guy in the video is again trying to baton a HUGE log.

Batonfags have more knives than sense.
>>
>>970168
>The [Buck] Hoodlum is built for ultimate survival
> lolwut

And this is from a review:

Using the Hoodlum to split a piece of 4" Spruce while sitting down with moderate impacts on the spine the performance was rather dramatic :

the edge rippled shearing through small knots
the blade cracked through the notch
the blade actually split above the edge

It took only three moderate impacts to basically cause the blade to disintegrate. The low strength and brittle nature was consistent with other issues noted with the blade in use."

Yeah... so it's just some rubbish knife targetting mall ninja survivalists.
>>
>>970171
Its almost like they don't know that 5160 Carbon Steel is harder than 1060 Carbon Steel. It is also hardened deeper than 1060, both making it more brittle. People will baton anything.

The notch in the back of the blade is pretty retarded though.
>>
the videos are worrth because if a knife stands up to being beat on like that I at least know it's durable
>>
>>970184
Pretty much all knives are very durable if you don't abuse them. Like using them as a screwdriver or something stupid.
>>
>>970190
Good quality knives like Moras don't throw a hissy fit when treated like that unlike some mall ninja ULTIMATE SURVIVAL trash with camo pattern in the blade etc.
>>
File: Stone tools[4].jpg (21KB, 313x205px) Image search: [Google]
Stone tools[4].jpg
21KB, 313x205px
If you know your gonna need to cut wood, then bring a fuckin little hatchet or saw! If you unexpectedly find yourself needing to cut wood while out, then by all means, baton!

What's the big freaking debate? You guys buddy up'n be frenz. That way, one guy has a badass axe; The other guy has a badass knife. Together you survive and build lots of good shit.

I carry both. It's only a little more weight. The extra weight is worth not having to keep my hatchet sharp enough to skin a deer right, or my knife so dull that the edge won't roll or chip.

Then, on second thought, what the hell would you Homo habilis homos blag about all day?
>>
File: DSCN0373.jpg (118KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0373.jpg
118KB, 800x600px
>>970198
>Cry Cry :'C
>>
>>970208
>What's the big freaking debate?

Backyard babby bushkekkers who only have youtube to teach them find out that their leet bushkekker skills are infact completely incorrect. People call them on their shit. They flip out.
>>
>>970222
Here's my homemade vise I built to help epoxy on my 26" ash handle. So much better now!
>>
>>970222
Looks like the tang snapped. Must have been meme steel.
>>
>>970239
I say let'em at it. Ima start cuttin my old axe handles into 4 parts. 3 I'll sell as "premium batons". The forth 5" piece is to epoxy in their $100 broke tang knives so I got something to take in the woods with my new axe.
>>
>>970253
Carve the premium ones into dildos. They're really into the multi-use benefits of the practice.
>>
This meme has gone too far.
>>
>>968076
that's why I have an axe, are people really this stupid?
>>
>>970267
I just bought the sweetest new kurshuhhh an I'm gon hit it wif a rock.

Gotuh know if it can break wood n half. goddah no
>>
not lettin this shit die. CHOPY CHOPPY MOTHER FUCKERS!!
>>
>>968071
i like the bottom left manly knife, it has a finger groove now.
>>
>>968071
>not a single SOG Seal Pup in these photos

Glad I got mine, but I would never fall for the stupid batonning meme in the first place.

t. car camper and have a cheap ass tomahawk to do that shit if I needed to.

Is this for those retards who need to make matchsticks out of tree limbs to fuel their shitty little cookers? I don't get it.
>>
>>970222
Hey, keep it coming, find some more.

The blade edge is pointing down and the thick side of the wood is facing up. Only a few centimeters of the blade are inside the wood.

Outstanding technique, Mr. Botanist.
>>
>>970522
> SOG Seal Poop
> so army
> much tactical
> Taiwan made
> serrated blade because sharpening should be difficult
> AUS6 steel
> dat grind

What's not to like.

Batoning is a useful skill when you have no access to a proper hatchet for some reason and need to make a fire.
>>
>>970527
I'm not a tryhard a/out/tist like yourself but its a solid knife, as for making a fire, if you need more than some leaves/wood to make a fire you should haven gone into the scouts as a kid and learned how to make an actual fire instead of following tryhard survivalists on youtube.
>>
>>970533
I wonder if you have been in a tundra-like zone during winter.

There are basically no burnable leaves in the winter. If the weather gets warmer then everything becomes wet and damp too. It's hard to find non-wet/frozen burnable wood.

If you are in a natural park you can't just go Rambo and fell trees or cut branches.

If you do find a frozen piece of some dropped-off branch, splice it up with BATONING (tm) and collect the dry parts as tinder. Problem solved.

Yes, this is what scouts teach you at least in this part of the world.
>>
>>969967
Depends on your environment really, yeah in a forest that isn't rain drenched you can just pick up small shit from the floor.
>>
File: Batonny Chop Chop Disaster.jpg (286KB, 960x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Batonny Chop Chop Disaster.jpg
286KB, 960x1080px
>>970522
>Cry Cry :'C
>>
File: Bushkekker Remains.jpg (206KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
Bushkekker Remains.jpg
206KB, 700x467px
>>970524
Sometimes I wonder wtf is wrong with people.
>>
File: fug.jpg (76KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
76KB, 640x480px
>>970553
>If you do find a frozen piece of some dropped-off branch, splice it up with BATONING (tm) and collect the dry parts as tinder. Problem solved.
>Yes, this is what scouts teach you at least in this part of the world.

No, you use an axe. Your numale scout leader was a moron.
>>
File: sog baton fail.jpg (20KB, 215x256px) Image search: [Google]
sog baton fail.jpg
20KB, 215x256px
>>970577
>use an axe

You can't meme with an axe.
>>
>>970577
Has it occurred to you that you that either would work? That maybe there isn't just one way to do anything?

Shit, could make feather sticks instead. Or split wood with a pointy rock. Why make your world so reductive in the great outdoors?
>>
>>970577
Yes, axe, if you have one with you. If you don't, you can't cut with an axe.
>>
>>970576
it looks like hes shaving wood from the background, which could imply they broke from simple torque. because the correct wa of firewood procurement with a knife like a mora are feathermemes, not batoning chopsticks
>>
>>970592
>Paul Kirtley
>It’s almost always batoning which breaks them.
>Check out the photo below. Here’s a few examples from the collection of broken Moras I keep….

That suggests otherwise.
>>
>>970582
>>970584
Has it occurred to you that the actual mentality of people who baton is EXTREMELY suspect.

For instance, there's literally no reason to baton anything ever in a "survival situation". Why do people baton? Because they lack knowledge, not lacking tools. Now here's the main problem. People who baton are mentally bereft. Not because they lack the knowledge, but because they lack common sense.

Refer to the image in >>968074 It illustrates the problem. Even in shitty rainy conditions, you can still make a perfectly good fire without a single tool you brought in with you. You merely need to learn how.

Now, here's the largest problem. People have tools. They don't know how to use them.

CASE IN POINT
>>
File: Whittling-Knife.jpg (77KB, 760x460px) Image search: [Google]
Whittling-Knife.jpg
77KB, 760x460px
>>970592
>shaving wood is knife abuse
>batonny chop chop isn't
>>
>>970666
People who own and use a "survival" knife are the real problem here, satan.
>>
File: tundra.jpg (79KB, 728x424px) Image search: [Google]
tundra.jpg
79KB, 728x424px
>>970553
>I wonder if you have been in a tundra-like zone during winter.
clear you haven't, you fucking candyass faggot
>>
>>970666
Jesus what a idiot.
>>
File: Batoning_Firewood.jpg (41KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
Batoning_Firewood.jpg
41KB, 540x304px
>need fire
>happen to have saw but no axe
>batonny chop chop time!!!

99% of this shit is someone batonny chop chop a piece of wood that has been cut be a saw of some sort. They have a saw, but no axe. That's like forgetting your pants when going to work.
>>
>>969068
edge is badly chipped in the middle
>>
>>970747
i have an axe but no saw usually.

saw is like really useful if you have to cut large cross section tree into pieces or you need neat as fuck ends fast. i usually just want to have firewood or some quick and dirty installation. the thing about cross section is after about 4 inches a saw will cut through faster than an axe under 4 inches the axe will be way faster basically one or two chops. that is because with the axe you have to remove volume and with the saw just the cross section. work scales x^3 in case of axe or x^2 in case of saw.

axe is more multipurpose than a saw.
>>
>>970747
An axe or even a hatched adds quite some weight to your backpack though.
>>
File: syvester stallone.jpg (8KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
syvester stallone.jpg
8KB, 194x259px
I baton
>>
>>970763
>muh weight

Fucking numale millennials.
>>
File: deletesystem32.jpg (59KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
deletesystem32.jpg
59KB, 1280x720px
On the /v/ technology board, "delete system32" or "install gentoo" are common responses to hopeless morons asking for computer tech support.

They're non-answers, designed to further sabotage or lead astray the already-doomed.

Maybe batoning needs to become something similar for /out/? I mean it is such a patently absurd thing to do to a knife, let alone to a knife in a survival situation...

If forcing a pro-batoning meme kills just one idiot, haven't we done god's work?
>>
>>970785
The problem is I can't even think of a survival situation where life and death hinge on the ability to baton wood rounds.

You just end up with more and more people thinking it is a legit thing to do and not dying off when it doesn't work. I suppose there's a chance that their life depends on a non-broken knife, but even that has easy work arounds.
>>
>>970785
correction, /g/
>>
File: tumblr_lprgl73OjN1qkrwwlo1_500.jpg (60KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lprgl73OjN1qkrwwlo1_500.jpg
60KB, 500x332px
someone baton a cairn
>>
>>970798
see vid in
>>969653
>>
>>968074
>>968076
Have you people really never heard of gathering dead and down wood?
>>
>>968076
this (and the thread in general) was a huge redpill for a non /out/ist just passing by
>>
>>970717
who said that?
>>
File: yum.jpg (178KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
yum.jpg
178KB, 800x1067px
>>970792

Hmm, true. We'd probably get better results encouraging beginning mushroom hunters.

"OP, people dying from eating death caps is just a stupid meme. They are an important survival food, and quite delicious. Cooking completely neutralizes the toxins which are not thermostable. Bon appétit!"

And you know what, somebody would stupid enough to do it.
>>
>>970724

>>I wonder if you have been in a tundra-like zone during winter
> candyass faggot googles up tundra
> comes up pic with very little snow
> pic has liquid water
> clearly not winter in tundra
> candyass faggot thinks he is smart
> still cannot spell

So where's the burnable leaves in your fucking picture?
>>
>>970826
>looks like hes shaving wood from the background, which could imply they broke from simple torque

>>970839
Well, stuff like that can get you tossed directly into jail. Stuff oddly enough gets traced back to the source a lot even if you are hiding behind 7 batonnies.

>>970853
Where are the logs for batonny chop chop?
>>
>>970886
mora is partial tang, anything above cutting fruit could break them, without being considered abuse. i imagine he was shaving the wood with enough fervor that they broke, instead of the calm pace youd expect of whittling
>>
>>970888
this
>>970717
Is literally a "Morakniv Wood Carving 120 Knife."

"He" said literally this: >>970644
>>
>>970886
> Where are the logs for batonny chop chop?

In the somewhat tiny trees and assorted deadwood. Or bigger forests if you are more south. Which incidentally during a winter are all frozen up except for the innards. There are no leaves to just set on fire and burn, Mr. Spelling Bee.
>>
>>970998
If you can think far enough ahead to carry a baton able knife, then think far enough ahead to carry a reliable fire starting method. You're looking for excuses to baton. It's okay. It can be a valuable skill. It's also a measure of last resort unless you're ruining knives for solely for youtube. If you need a fire bad enough, you'll use $100 bills for kindling.
>>
>>970998
>There are no leaves to just set on fire and burn

What does that with not needing to baton? Just make a feather stick and use tinder you brought with you or can make from your clothing. You still don't need to baton anything for any reason.
>>
File: putin laughing then serious.gif (4MB, 347x244px) Image search: [Google]
putin laughing then serious.gif
4MB, 347x244px
>>967998
I haven't been to /out/ in a few weeks because I've been trying to enjoy the last remnants of summer, and I come back and find this?
Honestly some of the stupidest shit I've ever seen.
>>
File: geo_geeps.png (23KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geo_geeps.png
23KB, 261x195px
>>971203
>ackchully going /out/
gross anon
>>
File: Knife Test.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Knife Test.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>971203
Stupidity knows no bounds. This is what happens when fathers don't raise their children correctly.
>>
File: 1489028529992.jpg (111KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1489028529992.jpg
111KB, 500x375px
>>972247
>>
>>972247
What was he trying to do in the first place?
Seriously, with the vast majority of the webms in this thread, I was expecting people to get hurt. Before seeing this kind of threads, I wasn't aware there was a whole subculture of people with no practical skills thinking they're some kind of hardcore survivalists, hitting knives on logs.
>>
>>972257
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQzXLdMQ57Q

People who baton have no sense at all for the most part. The above is the original video. Take note that the intro shows him batoning with a knife.
>>
File: 1488933807085.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1488933807085.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>972264
>mfw that music
>>
File: Epic knife fail test blood!.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Epic knife fail test blood!.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>972264
>>972247
Longer version.
>>
File: send help.gif (2MB, 448x251px) Image search: [Google]
send help.gif
2MB, 448x251px
>>972264
>People who baton have no sense at all for the most part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQA7Jt7I9oo
>>
>>972264
>My first outing to review the Winchester Bowie knife breaks within minutes under moderate use.
>moderate use
>moderate use
>moderate use

I wonder if people who buy "survival knives" actually know what "full tang" is?
>>
File: 60t6013s03[1].jpg (38KB, 500x185px) Image search: [Google]
60t6013s03[1].jpg
38KB, 500x185px
Jesus Christ just carry a fucking folding saw.
>>
>>969634
"good" steel is fucking brittle, you candyass faggot
>>
File: 1373767395572.png (268KB, 332x313px) Image search: [Google]
1373767395572.png
268KB, 332x313px
>>969921
>forests are comprised of 4"x16" rounds
>>
File: 800px-Map-Tundra.png (12KB, 800x370px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Map-Tundra.png
12KB, 800x370px
>>970853
there are no trees in the tundra, you stupid candyass faggot
>>
File: 1[1].jpg (165KB, 970x642px) Image search: [Google]
1[1].jpg
165KB, 970x642px
>>972343
half that area is already colonized by trees in 2017

welcome to global warming bitch
>>
File: Time Elapse Seedling Grows.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Time Elapse Seedling Grows.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>972393
>posts a pic of the borderline
>>
Hey people, the guy posting all the videos is just angry that he's having a hard time learning to baton.

It's okay buddy, if you need to carry an axe it's fine.
>>
>>969253
>gum
>>
>>968133
>>968137
There are varying qualities of steel though.
>>
File: 1481392414401.jpg (19KB, 608x342px) Image search: [Google]
1481392414401.jpg
19KB, 608x342px
>>972289
Are they any good for batoning tho?
>>
>>972604
You misunderstand. Tool abuse has nothing to do with what material was used to make the tool.
>>
Why not just bring a small axe to do the woodcutting, rather than a knife?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (265KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
265KB, 1920x1080px
>>969222
i can see 3 sticks in the vid that would do the same thing
>>
First two backpacking experiences taught me a lot about what matters in fire starting

>camping in Alberta
>april
>going to spend the first night in an actual campground
>raining constantly
>whatever we can do it
>buy firewood
>spend about an hour trying to get the fire started
>literally tried everything short of gasoline and couldn't get it going
>campground attendant saw that we were totally retarded
>says to wait a minute
>comes back with 3 cedar shingles from home depot and some newspaper
>the cheapest, easiest way to start a fire in any conditions
>carry a shingle every time now because it weighs nothing and makes life so much easier

>west coast trail on vancouver island a year later
>may
>we pretty good at starting fires now
>have the little electric stove and camp saw and all that shit
>we're on the second last day
>share camp site with literally obese fuck going the other way
>we're going to get a real campfire going for everyone
>break out the saw to cut apart medium pieces of driftwood
>fatso sees us and asks us what the fuck we're doing
>he grabs a piece of driftwood and just snaps it in half over a log
>guy is actually a really experienced backpacker and shares a ton of stories

Don't make firestarting work if it doesn't have to be. If you're going somewhere that's retardedly cold and wet, bringing fuel is way easier than spending an hour foraging for some tiny speck of usable kindling or cutting shit apart to find something dry. Batonning is a specific skill for very specific situations.
>>
>>967998
>not just owning a hachet and keeping your knife light and sharp for skinning game nicely

Pleb.
>>
why do retards insist on cutting wood with a knife instead of an axe?
>>
this is the dumbest shit ever
>>
>>967998
More surface area = faster and more reliable burning.
>>
>>975244
I always pack a faggot of sticks into my rocket stove's chimney. Even if it rains for days, I can still get a fire going that will dry out anything else without trouble.
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.