[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking Shoes for Beginners

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

File: Escalante_Utah.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
Escalante_Utah.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
Hey /out/,

I am going on a 10 day hike through canyon country in a few weeks. I am a novice hiker and am in need of some new hiking boots. I have never invested in a descent pair before and am looking for something for this trip. Are there good, reliable hiking boots around $100?
>>
File: style.png (205KB, 324x261px) Image search: [Google]
style.png
205KB, 324x261px
masterrace
>>
>>967751
Just start training your feet so you don't need to wear shoes at all
>>
>>967751
>in a few weeks
how many miles are you going to be able to get in them to get used to them in between now and then? going out 10 days in brand new boots, especially as a beginner, is a terrible idea.

regardless, go to a store near you and try a bunch on. try them on in (and buy) proper socks, and size the boots a full size up from your normal size. hopefully the staff isn't completely useless.
>>
>>967785
Why a full size up?
>>
>>967838
feet swell from walking all day, thick socks, and when you're going downhill with a load your toes jam into the ends of your shoes if they're too small, which is fucking excruciating.
>>
Gotcha, great point. I think I can get a full week's worth of walking in them. Other than relying on staff, what I'm I looking for when it comes to trying the shoes on? Clearly a full size up. I've been recommended to wear two pairs of socks and insoles, which sounds really comfy AND sweaty...
>>
>>967851
>two pairs of socks and insoles
no, and probably no. just get good, durable, cushioned, socks (where ever you try on your boots will have some), and unless you normally wear added insoles i wouldn't start now.

and if when you're hiking if you start getting any hot spots (you'll know what i mean when you feel them) FUCKING SAY SOMETHING to the people you're hiking with and take the 5 minutes to take care of them-moleskin for anyplace your skin's already worn through, and duct tape over the top of any hot spots to help reduce friction.
>>
Ok. Yeah I keep seeing this idea of duct taping 'hot spots'. I'm picturing I do this after placing mole skin on the hot spot.
>>
Looking at the area you are going I would recommend Merrill moab ventilators. Good solid shoe that will sell for about 100 at REI. That is all I wear now and on the trail they are good for 1000miles. The shoe strings break down after about 6 months and you will have to replace them
>>
File: IMG_20170308_190517.jpg (540KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170308_190517.jpg
540KB, 1520x2688px
I recomend a decent pair of bates. They are confortable, relyable and good for any weather. They arent cheap tho, but i got mine 5 years ago, and changed them just this year
>>
>>967751
Given your budget and timeline, and limited break-in, I would definitely go with >>967939
They're light and well-ventilated, so you feet will stay cooler. They're a great beginner shoe, because they aren't tough on your feet.

And ignore
>>967785
>size the boots a full size up from your normal size
Get boots that fit, so your feet don't have to much extra room to move around and form blisters.
>>
>>967751
Are you camping in between hikes?
>>
>>967966
>Buy boots that will be too small once you start walking

Retard detected
>>
>>967987
Not true. That's only a concern with very traditional, stiff leather boots. Modern boots (esp. those Merrells mentioned above) are flexible enough to accommodate changes in your feet throughout the day.
>>
>>967966
>>967993
great advice. then you won't have the extra weight of those pesky, useless toenails hanging around. it's pretty much the new wave of the ul movement.
>>
Get some Montrail hiking shoes, mid top.

durable, breathable, light, grippy, comfy as fuck.

http://m.6pm.com/p/montrail-fluid-fusion-mid-outdry-shark-chartreuse/product/8465594/color/530818?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhpnGBRDKpY-My9rdutABEiQAWNcslIjiAel5aD1ny0XmUte8UCVwTCQaOmofE0DGwv43ZaMaAh1g8P8HAQ&zhlfid=139&kpid=34447328&ef_id=WCJvRAAAACDSDgsc:20170313192927:s
>>
Thank you for the posts #967939 & #968129.

...I am thoroughly confused about the sizing of the shoe...

Ehhhattt is ul movement?
>>
Related question. My feet get realy hot, sweaty and stinky in all modern hiking shoes with a membrane, while leather boots are a-ok even in +25 c. Is that common? Should I wear some kind of special socks with them, or do I have geneticly inferior feet, and should stick to 19-th century yech?
>>
File: CQaKxWZXAAEuQb-.jpg large.jpg (137KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CQaKxWZXAAEuQb-.jpg large.jpg
137KB, 576x1024px
>>967770
lol
>>
>>968018
It's starting to sound like you always buy your shoes too small, and when you buy your hiking boots "a size up" you're actually buying them in the size that all of your shoes should be in.

The tips of your toes should never quite touch the end of your boots or shoes. Any of them.

If your toes normally touch the front of your boot, it's too small. If you're going downhill and your feet slide so far forward that your toes hit the front of your boot, then your boots are too big, or you didn't lace them tightly enough.
>>
>>968190
it's starting to sound like you've never walked more than 1/4 mile in an air conditioned mall before.

op, if you have a pack on, and you're walking for miles in the sun, possibly at a different elevation than you're used to, your feet are going to swell significantly from where they are when you try on your boots in a comfy climate controlled store after walking 150 feet from your car.
>>
>>968190 "If your toes normally touch the front of your boot, it's too small. If you're going downhill and your feet slide so far forward that your toes hit the front of your boot, then your boots are too big, or you didn't lace them tightly enough."

I see, such great info. So glad I asked, and totally feel like a newbie.
>>
>>968212
Op here. Once again, great stuff totally feeling like how did I not know this...

"If your toes normally touch the front of your boot, it's too small. If you're going downhill and your feet slide so far forward that your toes hit the front of your boot, then your boots are too big, or you didn't lace them tightly enough."
>>
>>967939
Now I may just be picky but would you do midtop or low?
>>
>>968283
if you're expecting dirty, gravelly and uneven terrain, get the midtop. It'll stabilize your ankles a little bit and keep the pebbles out.

if its a well worn trail and you don't mind dirty feet, get some low tops for comfort and convenience
>>
File: cranberry_hammock.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
cranberry_hammock.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>968212
Not the dude you're arguing with, but what kind of fucking monkey are you that your feet swell an entire shoe size when you walk a quarter mile? You've gotta be over 250 pounds
>>
File: 876.jpg (600KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
876.jpg
600KB, 1600x1200px
Are big box stores able to get me a pair that isn't crap? I've never been more than a casual camper and I've either worn sneakers, trailshoes or big rubber boots. I'm looking too. Where should I go?
>>
File: i.jpg (9KB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
i.jpg
9KB, 200x250px
My work boot is my hiking boot is my casual boot.

How was the West won in America?
>Cowboy boots.
>>
Didn't want to make a new thread, so I'll ask here. What is a good pair of waterproof hiking shoes? I'm doing a bike tour this summer, and I'm looking for something that would be good for hiking, biking, and off the bike/trail. I usually go with Keen, but some amazon reviews were saying they aren't what they used to be.
>>
>>968449
>Are big box stores able to get me a pair that isn't crap?

I really don't think so... I'm in America sooo personally pretty sure Walmart or Target won't have quality hiking shoes but I am also a beginner.

I will have to look into it too because I live in a relatively small beach college town and are having trouble finding a store like REI nearby.
>>
>>968318
>if you don't mind dirty feet

I'd rather have the ankle support than not ...don't much care about getting my feet dirty. I figure it's going to happen to what degree is just a detail I think I'll be able to handle.
>>
>>969006
>>968449
A lot of the outlets around me have North Face, etc. I've gotten a great pair of hiking shoes from them for like $50
>>
File: 2051048800_1.jpg (334KB, 563x514px) Image search: [Google]
2051048800_1.jpg
334KB, 563x514px
>>967751
>>
>>967776
can has a mitochondria?
>>
>>968685

Keen AREN'T what they used to be, but they're still pretty good. I used to buy a new pair every 2-3 years, now it feels like annually.
>>
File: 20170313_162528.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170313_162528.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Get trail runners pic related. The best
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.