[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you still like the outdoors without all the man made gear?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: file.jpg (200KB, 790x793px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
200KB, 790x793px
Recently I tried kayaking and camping with just a hammock set of matches and a coat in 30° weather.

It was miserable and I realized I couldn't sleep in that temperature. The only things that kept me comfortable was all the man made stuff.

Does nature just suck? Going /out/ seems only as good as the gear you carry.
>>
File: otziimgp0413.jpg (478KB, 966x1514px) Image search: [Google]
otziimgp0413.jpg
478KB, 966x1514px
>>967565
Is there such a thing as non-man made gear?
>>
If man-made gear is out, we might as well assume society at large is out. Us being here to shitpost on a Taiwanese trail running forum is evidence that yes, living outside in nature is possible. Or was at some point when there was no alternative.
>>
>>967565
OP, you had a sucky time because you went /out/ unprepared for the conditions you were facing.

You don't have to have the latest and greatest, fanciest gear but you need the essentials. Whether you buy them or make them or whatever.

Our ancestors got just as miserable as we do if they didn't have adequate shelter, insulation, sun protection, etc.
>>
>>967605
There's different levels of /out/
So from least to most /out/ there's cabins, campers, tents, then nothing.
I just felt like a little bitch not being able to last a night without gear. What's the point of going out if nature is going to fuck you up that bad without your gear
>>
>>967683
That's because you are a little bitch. And you're stupid as fuck to boot.
>>
File: IMG_20170309_130815117.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170309_130815117.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
I think we like the outdoors so much becuase of how indoor dependent we are nowadays.

We appreciate it more because we do have the knowledge and tools to be comfortable outside.

Some people have learned to get as minimal as possible when it comes to gear and be comfy.
>>
Seriously man, even neanderthals didn't do what you tried.

They had shelter already made, a fire going, and systems in place to hunt for food.

A hammock is worthless without proper insulation. Going /out/ without food just sucks.

You don't need great gear to get out, but you do need at least food and shelter.
>>
>>967715
The neanderthals were pussies!

Pussies!
>>
>>967565
No you are just an idiot. Sheltered, ignorant and childish the world doesnt "suck" you are just looking for sometying where it doesnt exist. Nature is not about comfort; that is the product of modern civilization. Nature is all about constant challenge, those without a will do not survive simple as that.
>>
>>967565
>going /out/ is hard
kys faggot
>>
People have only been going outside for fun for about 200 years. Doesn't matter how seriously these bushcraft types take themselves, they're only doing it because they know they can go back to town when they get bored.

t. /in/doorsman
>>
>need rocket to get to moon
>moon sucks
Mate, being human means using tools to do shit you otherwise couldn't. Your experience reflects your own lack of preparation and nothing else.
>>
>>967565
like >>967597 is implying, check out stuff like Otzi or other neolithic finds. nomadic man still carried a lot of tooling with him, and it all used a working materials-science knowledge of natural resources.
to answer your titular question: yes I would. i'm slowly slowly making my own neolithic/viking era gear to replace different pieces of modern equipment. i'm gonna keep the modern steel pot and light sources but i aim to simplify and de-modernize things like the backpack (bent-sapling frame) and cutting tool (handmade tomahawk/seax)
>>
Buddy and I tried camping in April with a tarp, bug net, and wool blanket.

It was fucking awful, but we had a lot of fun, and we laugh about it all the time.
>>
>>968330
>two guys one tarp
>>
>>967565
>Would you still like the outdoors if you were naked and had no knowledge of tool use

No, probably not.
>>
>>967683
1. You did last the night, or you wouldn't be posting.

2. Humans have never been able to survive in nature without gear. Because even the proto-humans we evolved from already used spears which they sharpened with their teeth.
>>
Gear is humanity, at this point. Might as well ask a wolf to survive without its fur or its nose.
>>
If you try to live like an animal nature will fuck you up, we're not the same kind of animals as animals are. We need our warm layers, we need fire, we need shelter.

If you had tried the same thing with a load of hairy animal pelts and a big ass camp fire at the mouth of a rocky overhang like primitive people did you'd probably have been fine.
>>
>>967565
I'd skin the fucking fawn and wear it's hide. Much better then my North Face parka.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.